Breakfast,lunch and din-dins : All things foodie in yours and 007's worlds.

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Seattle Washington has wonderful seafood.
    This is interesting he he :

Why we should drink wine at breakfast .

For millions of people, the rich aroma of ground coffee beans blended with hot water and frothy milk is what mornings smell like, while the fruity notes of a glass of wine are a welcome sign of evenings. But what would happen if we ditched the paper cup of arabica for a glug of merlot at 8am?

It might sound outrageous - dangerous, even. But maybe being able to enjoy a snifter of wine at breakfast, alongside a plate of poached eggs and toast as you catch up on the morning news, is the marker of being a “proper adult”. Just imagine being someone who can drink responsibly, even in the morning, and say with certainty: “yes, I can have just one glass of wine with my breakfast. I can have some alcohol without needing to do shots and shout-sing with my arms around my friends”.

And it’s not without precedent. Our arguably more cultured cousins on continental Europe (when it comes to drinking, anyway) are no strangers to having a white wine or a light red with their morning panini, explains Andrea Briccarello, the group sommelier and wine buyer at Galvin Restaurants in London and Edinburgh. This culture evolved from the 16th century when beer was cleaner than water and it wasn’t unusual for workers to start off their day with a tipple. So, considering that we’ve fully adopted European coffee culture, maybe it’s time to re-think how we drink wine, too.

“Wine in Europe - particularly in Spain, France and Italy - alongside food, is a very important part of life,” says Rob Edwards, managing director of The Vino Beano wine merchant. “I don’t think people in those countries drink wine, or any alcohol for that matter, to get drunk. Wine with a meal is about more than that. It’s the coming together of friends and family, and enjoying the time together. Wine merely compliments that,”

Sure, nothing will beat the caffeine kick of an espresso as we struggle to keep our eyes open at our desks. But when it comes to dining in the morning, wine is also better matched with food as the flavours are more delicate says Brett Wootton, the co-founder of the Vinoteca wine bar near King’s Cross in central London which serves a selection of breakfast wines.

“We’ve been drinking alcoholic beverages for ages in this country in the shape of Bloody Marys, Mimosas and Bellinis,” he adds. “Wine for breakfast is a more sophisticated move from cocktails.” In moderation, a glass of red also has the added health benefits of managing cholesterol and protecting the heart, according to research.

Wine on a weekend is already becoming more palatable outside of wedding breakfasts, as bottomless brunches accompanied with glass after glass of prosecco have become hugely popular.

So, what should breakfast wine beginners order?

“I would suggest the first wine of the day should be fresh, light and dry,” says Copestick. “Prosecco and sparkling wines are high in acidity which allow you to cleanse your palate after indulging in rich foods such as a cooked breakfast.

“I would definitely suggest something like a Lambrusco di Sorbara, light and zingy or a German Riesling from the Mosel, which has usually a hint of residual sugar and a very low ABV,” says Briccarello. “Light reds like Gamay are excellent with savoury snacks and a chilled light red like a Bardolino will be the perfect wine for any beginners.”

For Woonton, the perfect breakfast wine is the 2016 Moscato from Innocent Bystander. "It’s like a pink Berocca: light with a cherry fizz and only five per cent alcohol - perfect after the night before,” says Woonton.

For those feeling a little more adventurous, he suggests the 2015 Bonarda Frizzante ‘Sommossa’, Castello di Luzzano which is 12 per cent ABV. “It’s a naturally fizzy red made from Bonarda. Deep, dark, dry, bubbling over with dark berries. It's the perfect to cut a full English.”

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    wumo59426693861975.21286015.jpg
    That restaurant would definately be owned by you Dr @Thunderfinger or the Wiz @TheWizardOfIce ....
    Easy money.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Easy money.

And no need to wash up the dishes afterwards x genius !!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair

Now THAT is disgusting..talk about taking the p***...

How is that hygenic ?! ..meh.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Hopefully they have insurance or some written declination of liability covering diners who mistakenly start consuming their own hand.
    This time next year they will have moved onto their arse cheeks...you can have a different dish on each cheek ,and a knife/fork/spoon,dipping sauce or small beverage holder in the middle.

:-D yes the next step is throwing it straight into a diners mouth or how about
    A trough , just pump any old slop through and charge a fortune for it. Although
    If you're pretentious or stupid enough, you'll accept anything. If you think it's
    Trendy or fashionable.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

What a massive stretch to add a unique spin on a restaurant. Cut the idiocy, and focus on putting quality food on a plate in front of me.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

What a massive stretch to add a unique spin on a restaurant. Cut the idiocy, and focus on putting quality food on a plate in front of me.

Exactly,well said..its not rocket science to serve up a genuine tasty,good looking plate of food !
    Serving food straight in to your hand ? They should open a burger van.

For Bond connections, I think in MR Bond complains about the coffee and
    Ham sandwiches from the RAF. So even eating a ham sandwich can be
    Bondian :-D
    Serving food straight in to your hand ? They should open a burger van.

For Bond connections, I think in MR Bond complains about the coffee and
    Ham sandwiches from the RAF. So even eating a ham sandwich can be
    Bondian :-D

Exactly,as can the beer that Bond guzzles in SF !!

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Ate Roasted Brocolli
    I don't think 007 would be impressed with this ?!

You haven't had good scrambled eggs until you've boiled them in a pot of water .

Daniel Patterson, Michelin-starred and James Beard-awarded chef at Coi in San Francisco, came up with a revolutionary way to scramble an egg. (You'd think everyone had tried everything with eggs, but apparently our imaginations took a few years off.)

Inspired by frustrations cooking with non-stick and cast iron pans, he decided to try cooking them in boiling water, much like a poached egg. He beat the eggs, then poured them into a pot of boiling water and swirled the mixture until the eggs expanded into a light, folded scramble. Magic.

Patterson has a new cookbook out called The Art of Flavor that details the process for boiled scrambled eggs.

The book is accompanied with a video, which shows the transformation. Easy to garnish, delicious to eat - innovation at its finest.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    That's awesome to try. But what about the budduh?
    Have to try that.
    Another breakfast prep Bond would not be happy with :

How to cook the perfect poached egg in a microwave.

While tricky to perfect, a poached egg served on hot toast with a crack of black pepper is a hard thing to beat and arguably the best way to start your day.

When it comes to mastering a flawless technique though, chefs have long debated the importance of temperature, the amount of water and even the pros and cons of adding vinegar or salt.

Luckily, the experts at Kitchn – a daily online food magazine – have revealed a fool proof way to make the perfect poached egg in less than 90 seconds.

The secret? Cooking it in the microwave.

All you need is an egg, a mug, half a teaspoon of vinegar and a third to half a cup of water.

First of all, start by placing both the water and vinegar into the mug before cracking in the egg and making sure it’s fully submerged into the mixture.

Next, place the mug into the microwave and cover with a small plate or saucer.

With your microwave on medium high power, cook the egg for just 60 seconds before carefully removing the plate to check it.

If the egg isn’t quite done, put the plate back and cook for a further 20 seconds.

Once ready, use a slotted spoon to drain the water out of the mug and place the egg onto your food of choice, be it chunky warm toast, a bagel or even a burger.
    This is a nice article for a Friday :

A chicken soup restaurant run entirely by nuns is opening in London — and everything is free !!

A group of nuns is launching a soup restaurant in London — and plans to give away everything for free.

The Daughters of Divine Charity, a Catholic order based in Norfolk, are swapping rural England for Shoreditch in order to launch the pop-up location, which has been named NUNdos.

According to a press release sent to Business Insider, the location will be the world's first ever nun-powered eatery.

It is due to run for three days.

As well as feeding passers-by, the nuns will attempting to highlight the malaise of millennial life.

Diners will be encouraged to take part in "soul searching activities" in order to raise awareness for the increasing levels of anxiety facing people under 35.

NUNdos will discourage diners from Instagramming their food, and will install an amnesty box for phones by the door.

Sisters will be on hand at NUNdos to chat to the crowds about daily life and their current worries or stresses.

As well as chicken and lentil soup, the nuns will also hand out apple pies for dessert.

The pop-up, running from Tuesday 17 October to Thursday 19 October at the White Rabbit, Shoreditch, is being filmed for a new Channel 5 series, "Bad Habits: Holy Orders."

The show follows five technology-obsessed women, who swap their social media accounts for convent living in East Anglia for four weeks under the guidance of the full-time sisters.

Would-be diners can book by emailing [email protected].

Amazing! And I love the cheeky name! Lol! I hope it is a success!
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Scrambled eggs Bond style is very good although I think Fleming went a bit overboard with the butter.

Poached egg with toast is great too, with Strawberry jam and honey.
    19.jpg
    wumo58872117e81f16.69557404.png
    wumo58171b34dad6b9.12718847.png
    Wow this is a blast from the past for us Brits...look which restaurant is making a come-back peeps ?!?! Yum yum ! :

Wimpy: Iconic fast food chain planning UK comeback

Fast food fans, rejoice - you may soon have more choice of where to get your burger and fries fix thanks to the UK revival of multinational chain, Wimpy.

Yes, the fast food joint is planning a huge UK expansion in the hope of getting back to their glory days.

In the 70s, there were over 500 Wimpy restaurants across the UK. But then McDonald’s came on to the scene in the 80s and Wimpy’s numbers dwindled to just 80 branches.

But now, Wimpy is going to try and reverse its decline, announcing plans for “expansion and investment.”

“We do have some exciting new plans in terms of continued expansion and an investment programme,” a Wimpy spokeswoman told the Daily Star Online.

Not many details have been revealed, but further plans will be announced around February to May 2018, another spokesperson added.

However, with well-established giants like McDonald’s, Burger King and KFC ruling the high street, not to mention trendier chains like Five Guys and Shake Shack having entered the scene in recent years, it’s going to be a hard market to break into.

What’s more, the British public are a lot more health-conscious than we were 50 years ago, and a lot more emphasis is placed on where food has come from.

That said, the nostalgia factor may help bring in older people - or hipster millennials who’d be all over a potentially retro vibe.

The first Wimpy opened in 1954 at Lyons Corner House in London and soon became known for its burgers and chips.

A few decades later, the chain had dominated cities and towns across the UK.

But as American fast food chains moved in, the British public fell out of love with Wimpy, and after several attempts to revive the restaurant, its success eventually waned.

The company is currently owned by Famous Brands, which is based in South Africa. Whether Wimpy’s comeback will be a winner or not remains to be seen.

I hope it works,they used to be so much tastier than McDonalds or Burger King !
    85977ff20447b1e8f62c354c09ee5083.gif
    My Bondian dinner
    homebg.jpg
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Dim sims for din-dins. Any connection to 007?
    23.jpg