Do you believe in ghosts?

Comments

What Brady said. Beside I think it has educational value. Also real or not ghosts are fascinating.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    I know several people who beleive in Santa 100% and have hard evidence of him visiting their homes once a year so careful with such Santa comments.

Yes, they're called children.

And they feel justified in their belief: they see the man flesh and blood and their parents say he's the real Santa.

Of course they are. We all did as children unless one was very cynical indeed. My point was meant in jest, though.
    I guess what I meant is that sincerity is neither proof nor evidence.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Yes, I see what you mean. We can believe a thing all that we want. It doesn't mean it is true by virtue of that alone.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    What Brady said. Beside I think it has educational value. Also real or not ghosts are fascinating.

Absolutely. And in this time of year, approaching so closely to Halloween, it's fascinating to study the importance of these tales of the supernatural in our collective culture, and why certain images of phantoms, witches, werewolves and vampires all remain with us to this day so vividly, no matter where we stand on the belief spectrum.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Yes, I see what you mean. We can believe a thing all that we want. It doesn't mean it is true by virtue of that alone.

Its a bit rich to suddenly speak common sense at this stage isn't it?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Okay, I'll accept the old "we have to agree to disagree" peace offer, though I think this is an entirely different discussion than our typical Bond discussions, where personal taste dictates opinion. This discussion we're having here exposes the exceptionally dangerous fact that many civilised people are still willing to give in to Medieval forms of superstition. The latter being responsible for a lot of obstacles scientists, striving towards a better future for all of us, have to face every single day, I cannot simply wash away the nasty stench of intellectual self-dilution attached to the seemingly addictive desire to believe in ancient folkloric nonsense, originally used to fill in the many blanks in our understanding of the cosmos before science emerged. While it seems many treat their belief in ghosts as perfectly harmless, even somewhat exciting, it should be pointed out that such a belief makes one prone to other nonsense and that it might actually influence certain decisions one makes in life, including some very tough ones. For those who reside in a position of authority, of power even, that implies gambling with our future. For when bankers, judges, generals, politicians, ... are willing to lend even the faintest credence to so-called evidence of the supernatural as posted on YouTube, they are potentially dangerous. With more challenges to face than every before, the last thing our species needs right now is people whose understanding of the physical universe is stuck in Medieval barbarism.
    Anyway back to this picture which is the proof of ghost being real. Why the veiled face? I first saw the picture in the book All About Ghosts. Even then as a child believing in ghosts I thought this was weird.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited October 2016 Posts: 45,489
    Personally, I don t think ghosts can be photographed, but who knows?
    Then what is the difference between an existing ghost and an inexistant one?
    What do you mean? Not everything that exists can be photographed.
    Anyway back to this picture which is the proof of ghost being real. Why the veiled face? I first saw the picture in the book All About Ghosts. Even then as a child believing in ghosts I thought this was weird.

I remember when I was a kid I used to have a book by Arthur C Clarke (called something like Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World or World of the Unexplained I think) which featured fascinating stuff like UFOs, voodoo, ghosts, Loch Ness Monster, premonitions, fire walkers etc.

Fascinating stuff, especially as a kid, but obviously I grew to realise that most of the time these things were just hoaxes, tricks of the mind or people just wanting to believe.

The one thing that seemed impossible to argue with at the time was fakirs walking on hot coals. This seemed utterly beyond normal scientific reason as clearly one should suffer serious burns when walking on hot coals. But modern physics has shown it's merely a trick of conduction.

Are there things in the universe that we can't explain? Yes of course.

Is a good way to explain such phenomena to come up with an utterly random hypothesis and vehemently stick to it with a dearth of supporting evidence? Of course not.

Do ghosts have a ghost wardrobe where they select their ghost clothes for the day? I have seen many photos of what claim to be ghosts and they are all wearing clothes. The clothes must exist within the same dimension/state as the ghost. None of this makes any sense.
  • The clothes you die in are your ghost clothes.
    So try not to die in the shower if you can help it!
    What do you mean? Not everything that exists can be photographed.

I was not merely talking of pictures. Yes, some things cannot be photographed, but there are other ways to detect something's existence. So I meant if there is apparently no way whatsoever to record their presence but the claims of the believers, then how can we assess the veracity of said claim?

I have seen a ghost. I am telling you this. As clearly as I see myself in the mirror or this computer screen. Now as you know, ghosts cannot be photographed. As we have seen in a previous story on this thread, recording them on video or audio document does not work very well. But the ghost was/is very real. I just don't have any way to show you that there was a ghost. But you can trust my testimony: I am not mad and there is no history of madness in my family, I don't take drugs and was perfectly sober when I saw the ghost. So that must count for something. Now do you accept my claim as true?

What we have seen here on this thread so far, but also pretty much everywhere when claims of supernatural encounters were made (and you can add to the list miracles, alien abductions, lake monster sightings, what have you) is very dubious evidence (to use the term charitably), untrustworthy testimonies (even by sincere believers) and rather anecdotal and equivocal experiences to begin with (shapes being seen, noise being heard, voice saying "very distinctly" a few words). Oh and dodgy pictures, videos and an audio record apparently nobody heard for a decade.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 9,117
    This one of my favourite posts from a believer:

Pat this over 10 years ago. No way I can get all this now. As I said I recommended the audio equipment. He paid I purchased, it was me who took the mic and HD recorded out of its box and it was me operating it at the time. It was a brand new device 1st time in use.

'Yeah I had cast iron proof of existence of the afterlife that could have solved the mystery of what happens to us after we die, or, at the very least, made me a shit load of cash off gullible fools but you know how it is. I left it in a box in the garage and then when we moved it got slung out along with a Sodastream, a Breville toasted sandwich maker and a bag of charcoal briquettes I bought for a barbecue in 1989 but never got round to using'.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 14,830
    Even if the audio was still available. It does not add up to much. Or anything actually. The account in itself is paper thin and wouldn't even make for a compelling ghost story. Come on three questions? And vague ones at that. How about what are you and why are you here? Could you elaborate? How are things on the other side? But as the audio is lost I guess we'll never know.
    I have seen a ghost. I am telling you this. As clearly as I see myself in the mirror or this computer screen. Now as you know, ghosts cannot be photographed. As we have seen in a previous story on this thread, recording them on video or audio document does not work very well. But the ghost was/is very real. I just don't have any way to show you that there was a ghost. But you can trust my testimony: I am not mad and there is no history of madness in my family, I don't take drugs and was perfectly sober when I saw the ghost. So that must count for something. Now do you accept my claim as true?

Yes, and I would also believe you if you said you had not.

This is because I know you as a rational person, and because of personal experince.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    @Thunderfinger wrote: " Not everything that exists can be photographed"

you can't argue with Hillbilly science. =))
    As it's true you can't photograph Heat, gas, viruses, microbes. As we can't see them
    so we can't photograph them ! ...... or measure their effects on the environment, like "gravity"
    so obviously can't exist. :))
    That's the trouble with these discussions, as one side shows a complete lack of even basic
    knowledge of elementary science. =)) I have to assume it was a joke.
    ???
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited October 2016 Posts: 3,157
    I believe in spectres. Does it count?
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 14,830

Yes, and I would also believe you if you said you had not.

This is because I know you as a rational person, and because of personal experince.

Wow. Well, you'd be completely unjustified in your belief. Personal experience counts for nothing as evidence. Regardless of my sincerity I could be mistaken for a number of reasons. Even if I had seen a ghost I would not expect anyone to believe me given the poor amount of evidence in said example. Heck, before assessing what I had seen as a ghost I would myself be very sceptical of my experience.

And I am also wondering: according to you ghosts can't be photographed... but they can be seen distinctly by human eyes? How does that even work?
    The eyes are but lenses. The vision occurs in the brain, which is an electromagnetic receiver/transmitter. Some brains may be tuned a little differently.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,600
    Yes, some brains may be able to recieve and perceive light beyond the spectrum of light that most humans do?
    But infra-red and untraliolet cameras have been used to track ghosts to no avail.
    So perhaps ghosts use a frequency of light that is beyond our knowledge and some people have brains that can also process that light?
    These are the games that you have to play in order to fit ghosts within the structure of physics....and it's all rather desperate. So not only do we have ghosts but humans with special brains that can perceive special light.
    Keep digging.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair

More Hillbilly science,
    The demon is a hillbilly?
    Do we assume that all dead people become ghosts? Because, if they do, then these people with the specially tuned brains would be swamped with visions. They would not be able to live their lives.
    You assume a whole lot.
    It was a question but the other option is that only certain dead people become ghosts which raises more question concerning who qualifies for ghost status and who does not.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Boys, what are your thoughts on the morality and ethics of mediums? It's a dilemma that interests and perplexes me from time to time.

Is it okay for mediums to lie to their client if those lies give the person comfort, like telling them their loved one is at peace, there is a heaven, etc., or is it absolutely wrong on every conceivable account that they manipulate people emotionally in these ways and they should be taken to great task on it?

I flip flop on this issue from time to time. While in moments I think some need those feelings of comfort, other times I'm downright pissed off that some mediums manipulate the emotions of others and engage in shyster tactics with these people who are thirsting for any hope, especially those mediums with TV shows that are already involved in some form of exploitation for entertainment cruelty anyway.