Who do YOU give 11/10? (final appreciation)

DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
edited November 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 23,551
They are good. They are all good. Everyone who's ever worked on the Bonds - well, <i>nearly</i> everyone - is good, but some are still better than others. They deserve more than 10/10: you'd give them 11/10 if you could. Well, madam or sir, you <i>can</i>, and this is the thread where you can do it.

So here's the bargain: each day (or two - depending on my agenda ;)) ) we walk though another film in the franchise and you pick that one person - I said <b>one</b> (:| - whom you think deserves the mathematically incorrect privilege of getting an 11/10. Mind you, this isn't a contest, just a matter of getting your special friend from this or that Bond film mentioned once again.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2011 Posts: 23,551
    FILM 1 Dr No
    My 11/10 goes to Terence Young for making the nearly impossible happen and creating what was arguably an instant classic and the promise of an interesting future. Connery is good in this film, but he wasn't superb - yet - IMO. Young, however, served us a film spot-on.
    Joseph Wiseman beacuse his Dr. No villain was one of the best Bond villians Ever and his acting was very good as a bad guy .
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Sean Connery. Whenever you pause when he's onscreen, he displays such self-confidence, charisma and cool. No wonder James Bond and Sean Connery because instant icons.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,350
    This is unfair, they are too many that deserve 11/10 for the first film! If I have to pick one person it'd be Terence Young.

1. Terence Young
    2. Terence Young
    3. John Barry
    4. Sean Connery
    5. Freddie Young
    6. John Barry
    7. Tom Mankiewicz
    8. George Martin
    9. Christopher Lee
    10. Ken Adam
    11. Derek Meddings
    12. Roger Moore
    13. Martin Grace
    14. Christopher Walken
    15. Maryam d'Abo
    16. Timothy Dalton
    17. Michael France
    18. David Arnold
    19. Judi Dench
    20. Daniel Kleinman
    21. Daniel Kleinman
    22. Daniel Craig
    Albert R. Broccoli. NO question about that. :)
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Apropos mathematical incorrect:
    Why is it apparently never enough for people to simply give all they have got, which is 10/10, or 100%? Why 11 out of 10? That is like giving 110%, simply impossible!

... just wondering...
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Terence Young

no one, not even himself could imagine the wheels of a franchise that were about to be set into motion - and it became the instant standard bearer for all action adventure films to follow.... other Bond films came along that might be better - but this is where it started, and i believe all the credit in the world goes to Terrence Young for making it happen...

- and he was also helped write the original screenplay for the film as well - but goes uncredited.
    Merrit Paulson....on wait you ment Bond stuff.... Daniel Craig for bring back the real Bond :)
    Maurice Binder
    for creating the ahead of their time main titles and for coming up with the gunbarrell logo that has endured throughout.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Terrence Young for turning Connery into a suave, smoothe symbol and for establishing an iconic legacy.
  • 11/10 for Terence Young!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Joseph Wiseman. Made use of every second of his screen time to become one of the most menacing villians in the franchise.
    @zebrafish Is not impossible mathematically to give 11/10 or 110%
    If you have 1 bar of chocolate, the 110% means the complete bar plus an additional 10%.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,936
    @DarthDimi

(Terence Young) Ditto. You hit the nail on the head.
    11 out of 10 for Connery in FRWL, though.
    11 out of 10 for Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber in.. oh wait, that was Die Hard.

Seriously, Hans Gruber in Die Hard seems like the perfect Bond villain.

On topic,
    Gonna go with an 11/10 for Wiseman.
    Okay, I got a little ahead of myself with that last post. Forgot we were talking about Dr. No only. How about Connery for uttering those famous words, with a cigarette hanging off his lip? If I had to rate Sylvia Trench, I'd certainly give her one.
  • Maurice Binder, because he created the tradition of the gunbarrel
    Merrit Paulson....on wait you ment Bond stuff.... Daniel Craig for bring back the real Bond :)
    Where is Daniel Craig in DN? :-?
    edited October 2011 Posts: 23,551
    FILM 2 From Russia With Love
    My choice is Sean Connery for he was on fire in FRWL. Each time someone mentions the Connery Bond, my mind shifts to FRWL. I think he gave us his very best performance as 007 in '63. Hats off to Conners.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited October 2011 Posts: 4,399
    i would like to give my 11/10 to either Robert Shaw as Donald Grant, or Desmond for his first portrayal as Major Boothroyd - later to known simply as Q...

but i think I have to go with Perdo Armendariz as Kerim Bey - he was an overly charismatic character - one that you naturally felt bad when he died (kind of like Mathis in the recent films).. he's definitely one of my favorite Bond allies, not only because of his humor and charm - but because he managed to weave his sons into everything in Instanbul - that's quite a legacy lol...

but the man himself worked through a serious fight with cancer to be a part of this film - sadly though, he couldn't finish all of his scenes and had to quit filming - he later lost his fight with cancer - dying at the age of 51.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Well said haserot. I'll also go with Pedro Armendariz.
    Oh god so many. I have to think of that Terrance Young story where he almost died and was back on set within the hour. If that doesn't deserve an 11/10, i don't know what does!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Sean Connery. The man was on fire. He established that ruthless, cool, calm persona and dominated.

Special acknowledgement goes to Robert Shaw and Pedro Armendariz.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Sean Connery again. A masterful performance. Such cool, charm and charisma...

Very close : Robert Shaw.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Can we have the same person? If so Terence Young. If not, Connery.
    Terence Young.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sean Connery. I always think of the train scene first and formost. The dialogue between Shaw and Sean is brilliant and so well acted, all leading up to the most intense fight of the Connery Bond films. Actually Sean would get an 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000/10, but who's counting?? :-D