Blofeld : Did you want him to escape from Bond,in the helicopter ? And what next ? (SP)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It's that most magical time of the year...
    ... All you have to do is Believe ! :D
    Blimey,Dr Thunderfinger is waving his magic wand around again...lucky there are no children around.....
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I would have preferred that we not see his face in this film. He escapes in the end and we have a scene that shows him planning his next move.
  • Istvan_The_HunIstvan_The_Hun Scottsdale, AZ
    If only they could bring back Mr Hinx... and he could break Blofeld out of prison...they kill Madeleine, and Bond spends the next two movies going after and finally finishing off Spectre and Blofeld.
    And then Craig can retire from the role, and this series has a full satisfaction arc of storytelling!
    If only they could bring back Mr Hinx... and he could break Blofeld out of prison...they kill Madeleine, and Bond spends the next two movies going after and finally finishing off Spectre and Blofeld.
    And then Craig can retire from the role, and this series has a full satisfaction arc of storytelling!

No thanks,i am sick of these story 'arcs' in Bond films...enough now...stop.

• I was also rooting for Blofeld to get away, probably the first time I'd rooted for a villain in a Bond film too. Probably just because it was Blofeld. I also was really hoping they wouldn't bring him back and then kill him.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited February 2017 Posts: 732
    I would just wish the whole scene was not there at all. It's all BS to me. I would get rid of the "volcano lair", the whole MI6 Building crap and also the bridge end part. The last third ruins the movie in total. But as I learned there was no way to get rid of the bridge since the set was built and the script had to somehow use it.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    I would just wish the whole scene was not there at all. It's all BS to me. I woul get rid of the "volcano lair", the whole MI6 Building crap and also the bridge end part. The last third ruins the movie in total. But as I learned there was no way to get rid of the bridge since the set was built and the script had to somehow use it.

Yeah, I mean, the movie had a $250-300 million budget, it's not like they could afford building another set. Spending that money in a world record explosion was way more important.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    They bungled not only Blofeld but Spectre as the organization. I would have had someone other then Blofeld be the villain and he makes an appearance towards the end of the film. Then have Bond 25 be about "operation Bedlam". Then Bond 26 could be an attempt to bring YOLT to the big screen. Just a thought. As they ended it Blofeld is captured Spectre is on life support! A shame for all the build up.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Except for the score, SP was just fine IMO. Bond not shooting Blofeld was epic.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Agreed.
    By the end of the film, I didn't care..
    Having Blofeld arrested by the local constabulary was pathetic.
  • I recall watching SP for the first time – I felt a little disappointed by the overall product, but I remember watching Bond walk across the bridge and thinking to myself “they can’t kill Blofeld?”

If they introduced Bond’s archenemy in a slightly more sophisticated and intelligent way, I wouldn’t have minded seeing Bond pull the trigger. But the shoddy interpretation in SP, made me think it would be a criminal waste to kill him. Blofeld needs a chance at redemption after what Mendes did (or didn’t) do to him.

I’m also going to use this opportunity to vent about the bridge scene:

• In this supposedly grounded universe, how the hell am I supposed to believe that Bond’s puny Walther shot that helicopter down?
    • I hate how unsubtle the whole Madeleine and Mi6 choice is. It’s way too gooey and obvious. (Made worse by the fact that P&W had Bond choose Mi6 – something far more interesting)

There’s some redeeming factors:
    • Amazing cinematography. Probably my favourite shot is on that bridge.
    • The score is magnificent – especially the use of Madeleine’s theme.
    • Acting is great and there is some thematic resolution with the whole “licence to kill not being a licence to kill” nonsense (even typing that line made me cringe).
    Birdleson wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Except for the score, SP was just fine IMO. Bond not shooting Blofeld was epic.

That was the ending of a thousand episodes of a thousand television shows. Lame.
    Yep, felt like I was watching a cop drama on network TV.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I recall watching SP for the first time – I felt a little disappointed by the overall product, but I remember watching Bond walk across the bridge and thinking to myself “they can’t kill Blofeld?”

If they introduced Bond’s archenemy in a slightly more sophisticated and intelligent way, I wouldn’t have minded seeing Bond pull the trigger. But the shoddy interpretation in SP, made me think it would be a criminal waste to kill him. Blofeld needs a chance at redemption after what Mendes did (or didn’t) do to him.

• In this supposedly grounded universe, how the hell am I supposed to believe that Bond’s puny Walther shot that helicopter down?

• I hate how unsubtle the whole Madeleine and Mi6 choice is. It’s way too gooey and obvious. (Made worse by the fact that P&W had Bond choose Mi6 – something far more interesting)

• Acting is great and there is some thematic resolution with the whole “licence to kill not being a licence to kill” nonsense (even typing that line made me cringe).

He would have been better of throwing stones at it. Even more glaring to me is how he managed to still somehow have his Walther after being captured, bagged and tied by the SPECTRE goons before he walked into Vauxhall Cross. Using the Sig Sauer on the helicopter would still have been highly improbable but still a bit easier to swallow.
    For the first film featuring the character , I would have liked to have seen Blofeld remain in the shadows only to have his face revealed as Bond watches him escape in the helicopter
    Picture Bond racing towards a helicopter about to take off, he knows Blofeld is aboard. He empties his gun with no effect. He stops, and as the chopper lifts off a face appears in the blackened window, it's Blofeld/Waltz, with a smug grin on his face as he fly's off, contemplating future mischief
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I recall watching SP for the first time – I felt a little disappointed by the overall product, but I remember watching Bond walk across the bridge and thinking to myself “they can’t kill Blofeld?”

Where? I never read the leaked scripts.
  • It actually was not to be found in the leaked scripts.

P&W gave an interview recently with the Independent and they spoke how they originally had Bond reluctantly choose his MI6 life over Madeleine. However, Mendes overruled them. Understandably so, SP is supposed to offer some thematic resonance to the Craig era overall. Bond finally gets some happiness and the chance to escape his Mi6 life with a woman not dissimilar to Vesper.

So, I get why the decision is made. Even if I think it was a little obvious and “meh”.
  • It actually was not to be found in the leaked scripts.

P&W gave an interview recently with the Independent and they spoke how they originally had Bond reluctantly choose his MI6 life over Madeleine. However, Mendes overruled them. Understandably so, SP is supposed to offer some thematic resonance to the Craig era overall. Bond finally gets some happiness and the chance to escape his Mi6 life with a woman not dissimilar to Vesper.

So, I get why the decision is made. Even if I think it was a little obvious and “meh”.

Personally I think if this ends up being Craig's last film it was the much better decision and makes all of his films more interesting in retrospect by giving Bond an arc over the course of them.
  • Blofeld should have not come to London! I always thought of him directing operations from foreign fields.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Lazzers wrote: »
    Blofeld should have not come to London! I always thought of him directing operations from foreign fields.

I think the film would hold up a lot better if the finale took place at Blofeld's compound, rather than the "secondary" London finale we got.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 19,339
    As much as I hate to say it,London needs to stay out of BOND25 apart from the usual briefing in M's office,with a shot of Big Ben or Piccadilly Circus,as they used to do ,eg,GF,TLD etc...
    And I still think Blofeld should be held back from BOND25 and brought back in BOND26...make BOND25 totally irrelevant and no connection to the Craig films.

If Waltz cant wait that long and doesn't return,then so be it,Blofeld has always had a different actor in the films anyway.

barryt007 wrote: »
    As much as I hate to say it,London needs to stay out of BOND25 apart from the usual briefing in M's office,with a shot of Big Ben or Piccadilly Circus,as they used to do ,eg,GF,TLD etc...
    And I still think Blofeld should be held back from BOND25 and brought back in BOND26...make BOND25 totally irrelevant and no connection to the Craig films.

If Waltz cant wait that long and doesn't return,then so be it,Blofeld has always had a different actor in the films anyway.

Even if Craig comes back for Bond 25?
    No,i don't mind Craig at all,i hope he does ,just in a totally independent stand-alone film,which is the way I still view SF.
    No,i don't mind Craig at all,i hope he does ,just in a totally independent stand-alone film,which is the way I still view SF.

I think it's the best way to move on if they have cornered themselves with Blofeld. Just do something else.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    M16_Cart wrote: »
    I thought it would've been really cool to have the helicopter shot down, and just as Blofeld was about to be detained, 8 black armored cars rush to the scene, Blofeld is driven to safety, Bond engages in a firefight with dozens of guards, then cars explode, there's a big fire, Hinx comes back and Bond fights him to the death.

That would have been far better than what we actually got!

On to the original question. I did want to him to eacape. I just hope that they use Waltz as Blofeld more effectively in his next appearance. He could have been the best Blofeld of them all. Even if all the foster brother nonsense was removed, he was still written poorly.
    If in EONs eyes this incarnation of Blofeld was poorly recieved Waltz will be given better material to work with next time for a better performance or they may have him sit the next one out. I wouldnt mind having Craigs Bond having another personal story but at the same time be a standalone for B25.
    No no no...not another personal story...Bond isnt about that ,and they have to pull away from that now ....
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    No no no...not another personal story...Bond isnt about that ,and they have to pull away from that now ....

The phrase "This time it's personal!" should be replaced with "Once again it's personal". Personal stories are so tired in cinema as a whole these days.