The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The rock source music? I wonder if John Barry composed that. I suspect he did. I like it too.

That music's great too. But there's a quiet music cue just before scaramanga appears that is really nice.
    The sideways sets on the sunken ship are fantastic. So ridiculous but the right kind of far fetched for me.
    Oh, yes, I like that one too.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, very inventive.
    Ok - what the hell is a 'Mexican screw-off?' I guess it's a play on 'Mexican stand off' but it just does not work in this scenario at all.
    Hip driving off and leaving behind Bond has to be one of the laziest pieces of writing in the series. It's pure plot mechanics and easily avoidable.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,984
    No idea. Always found it to be one of Moore's (or Bond's in general) weakest one-liners, along with "Play it again, Sam!" because they didn't make all that much sense, lol. Much prefer the delivery in the latter though.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,984
    Hip driving off and leaving behind Bond has to be one of the laziest pieces of writing in the series. It's pure plot mechanics and easily avoidable.

Think it was intended to be comedy (especially given that it's part of a larger scene where Hip's nieces flatten an entire dojo) but I was just dumbfounded by it. I mean, I guess I laughed a bit at the stupidity of it.

Yes, although I must admit I almost find it funny in its absolute cheekiness.
    Big chunks of this film just leave me cold. I'd say everything after the sideways ship until Scaramanga and Bond finally meet at the boxing match (Lee on top form here).
    Need I say anything about the car roll that hasn't already been said?
    Love the look on Bernard Lee's face as it cuts to him as Bond has explained (off screen) what has happened with Scaramanga's car flying off with goodnight in the back.
    Bond flying into the islands is magnificent.
    Love the look on Bernard Lee's face as it cuts to him as Bond has explained (off screen) what has happened with Scaramanga's car flying off with goodnight in the back.

It's great!

M himself gets quite flustered in this scene. I mean, "oh, Q, shut up"?
    I like Lee when the Chinese army tell him there is a plane approaching. There is a flicker of fate that passes across his face. He's on great form in the scenes on the island. His talk of 'ours being the lonliest profession - so let's enjoy a few hours together' is actually quite believable.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 2,721
    Christopher Lee is excellent - would have been perfect across from any of the actors who played Bond.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    When Lee said "No, he won't be leaving", it actually reminded me of Craig in CR when he says "No, for one."
    That 'master override' button is far too easy to turn on with the minimum amount of pressure - be it buttcheeks or anything else!
    When Lee said "No, he won't be leaving", it actually reminded me of Craig in CR when he says "No, for one."

Good call. I can see that. Or even a Dalton-esque delivery.
    Beautiful shot of the junk sailing away after the last explosion has happened.
    How does M have Scaramanga's phone number? Could have come in handy a lot earlier in the film and saved a death or two...
    How does M have Scaramanga's phone number? Could have come in handy a lot earlier in the film and saved a death or two...

That really bugs me too.
    Just lazy writing to allow Bond to say the 'Goodnight Sir' cheap gag.

Yeah the endings tend to be unexplained but I don't mind them as much.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 2,721
    So that's MWTGG wrapped up. I haven't watched it for a while - so it's good to dive back into it and I watched it on a whim. The first hour has some good stuff in it - PTS, Lazar scene, Andrea Anders and Bond's first scene, Bottoms up assassination, sideways ship, and then the middle third is pretty missable to be honest. The climax is a success due to Lee and the cinematography of the islands. But a cheapness pervades the film and really the plot just isn't there. But it's got some nice touches and things I didn't completely appreciate before. Moore has a couple of great moments but there is an inconsistency to his performance. MWTGG still lurks near the bottom of the rankings for me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    He does look particularly sickly in that one and in MR.

After his wife died and his house burned down, he turned to the bottle.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Goldfinger now on....and straight away I hate the rope gun Bond uses when you can see it blatantly doesn't fire the rope ...not good.

Music bloody brilliant though.
    Why cant we have PTS' like this anymore,that has no link to the main film's story ,just shows Bond finishing another mission.

We really have lost the magic of Bond ...the GF PTS shows how Bond used to be...how he SHOULD be.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It doesn t get much better than the GF pts.
    Well I'm hoping this viewing might push GF up my rankings at is sitting in lowly 16th place at the moment.

I deliberately haven't watched it for a while and I am enjoying it a lot so far.

Poor Jill is covered in paint.....gold paint.
    That GF PTS is so many shades of awesome. That music is awesome and Connery super cool.