The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I get that but I like her line 'we're safe!' and when she grabs the gun and races off on horseback to save Bond. If they hadn't made her quite so gormless when she can't figure out driving the jeep up the ramp and flying the plane. All they needed was to ease back on those naive elements just a little.
  • Yeah, she does set up the best line in the film: "Kara, we're in the middle of a Russian airbase in Afghanistan."
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's an element that brings the film down for me. She becomes Goodnight 2.0 by the end.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    How you feel about Kara is how I feel about Goodnight. Which makes MWTGG a comparatively tough watch.
    I don't like either. Both are in the bottom 5 for me. :))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think the objective of what Bond was doing was to save Madeline, not go on a
    Killing spree. After all Bond is motivated by his duty, he's not a psycho killing
    Machine. He has to make judgements. I think it's in Goldfinger, Bond declared
    That he disliked killing, but if it had to be done he took a pride in doing it well.
    So ( only my opinion of course ) but I feel it's Perfectly in Character for Bond.
    I think the real reason was he wanted to see Bautista in Guardians of the Galaxy 2. ;)
    Birdleson wrote: »
    After he crashes the "plane from nowhere", why in Hell would Bond not put a bullet through the back of Hinx's head? Especially this Bond. He's seen what the guy is capable of. Instead he gives half a glance and assumes the guy's either dead or no longer a threat. Completely out of character.

That surprised me too...even though in TMWTGG and TWINE he admits he hates killing.

Hinx was a SERIOUS threat and needed to be put down.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @Birdleson For the record, the plane isn't from nowhere. There is an airstrip seen running alongside the Hoffler Klinik.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    If Luciana Paluzzi as Fiona Volpe didn't exist, Barbara Carrera's Fatima Blush would be the greatest of the "Bad" Bond Girls, by far.

That is a very true statement..she should have been in an official Bond film.
    I know it takes all sorts to make a world so here goes .......
    ... I hate the over acting Barbara Carrera did in NSNA, it's as if
    she thinks it's a Christmas panto.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Sort of psychotic? A sociopath?

Not required to like her of course, I thought it fit the character and I'm glad Carrera didn't hold back. Together with her looks, I expect that's why she's well-loved even by some folks that outright hate the film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I thought she was very good personally. Unhinged. Made her a bit frightening to be around. A precursor to EON's own Onattop.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I thought she was very good personally. Unhinged. Made her a bit frightening to be around. A precursor to EON's own Onattop.

Exactly chaps..she is the main plus from that film,and would be welcome in an EON flick...even the name,Fatima Blush,is brilliant to be fair.
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

Exactly chaps..she is the main plus from that film,and would be welcome in an EON flick...even the name,Fatima Blush,is brilliant to be fair.

Wasn't the name Fatima Blush from the screenplay Thunderball was based on? Or was it just the character?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I wonder why it was changed in the book?
  • Perhaps Fleming didn't include her because he was concerned about the amount of material he was using from a shared project for his own project? Maybe there were questions of authorship in his mind and he believed that what he was putting into Thunderball was inarguably his own (though courts would decide otherwise)?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I just watched SP for the first time in a long time... there are major, major, problems, but the first two-thirds have watchable moments, but--

--my DOG! that third act climax is terrible.

I thought the goal to any Third Act is to have the audience wanting more. But...

IN ACT THREE of SP....-

DC lookS like an impotent dip-shit (and, as @noSolaceleft has learned, DC is an actor I love and appreciate and find him to be a fantastic Bond... but he is TERRIBLE in the third act of SP-- along with everything else...)

He's shouting like an idiot; photos (8 x 10 pics blown up) show up from his past and are hung in various areas to torment Bond (when did Blofeld and Boyfriend have time to do this, and kidnap Maddy, hide her, and, set up their escape???)

In the nick of time, Bond finds the damsel in distress in... a random room... behind the door that...

... JUST HAPPENS TO BE BESIDE HIM ... the supidity and laziness of this, from writing, to execution, is nauseating...

The ending feels very rushed, I'm guessing it had to be edited down. As there was
    Some talk of it being well over three hours long, on its first version. Or they tried to
    Cram two movies into one.
    The end of SP is terrible...really lazy and bad.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The ending of SP is another reason why I, greedily, want DC back for one more: give him as polished a film as is possible (great writing, directing and cast), so a man of his calibre can exit in the appropriate fashion.

Running around a set, screaming out "Madeleine" was embarrassing. The way he found her was embarrassing. DC looked embarrassed.

As has been seen in recent posts, I sincerely love Craig's work, but, there was a chink in his performance, and it reveals itself right after the torture sequence (where, according to the script, his brain should have been mush): DC Bond stumbles out of his chair, gets his footing, and takes a moment to cup Madeleine's face in his hands...

It looked so wrong. It felt heavy-handed.

My fingers are crossed that the latest rumours hold a little weight and DC comes back to end on a true high.
    That whole torture sequence had a whiff of Arnie Total Recall about it.
    Time for TMWTGG with Sir Roger's commentary I think.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 19,339
    I love Sir Roger's imitation of Nic-Nac's voice...haha.

And the cowboy dummy in the fun palace is Sir Roger's double,Les Crawford,
    Hahaha Scaramanga shoots the fingers off Bonds hand in the PTS and Sir Roger just commented : "That's one of my more moving performances" ,re the waxwork dummy.
    Wow ,I didn't know Sir Christopher Lee could speak many languages and had a photographic memory....Sir Roger just told me...interesting.
  • RC7RC7
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Hahaha Scaramanga shoots the fingers off Bonds hand in the PTS and Sir Roger just commented : "That's one of my more moving performances" ,re the waxwork dummy.

Classic. I love that man.
    Me too....so glad I met him and still have memories through his commentary,he was such an ambassador to Bond in so many ways bless him....I miss him.
    Quote from Sir Roger : "Those girls must have hated me with cigar-breath...terrible"
    ,re the love scenes with Maud and Britt..hahaha
    The fight between Franks and Bond is really under-rated and brutal...