The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

I also like the moment Bond rigs up the hand grenade to go off as he knew having Gupta as hostage wouldn't deter Carver.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I also like the moment Bond rigs up the hand grenade to go off as he knew having Gupta as hostage wouldn't deter Carver.

Always have an escape plan. Q always taught him that after all. :)
    barryt007 wrote: »

Always have an escape plan. Q always taught him that after all. :)

Hahaha he did indeed !

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited June 2017 Posts: 2,721
    Continuing on my anniversary thread I'm visiting the film that was released Fifty years ago - You Only Live Twice.

I always forget about that summit they have between the Russians, Americans and English in the PTS.
    The film really takes its time to get going. But I like the time taken for us to absorb the Sumo match and its rituals. At the silence that drops just before wrestlers first engage and then the crowd erupts.
    I really like Charles Gray as Henderson - wish he was in it far more. I think he had an interesting chemistry with Connery.

I like the Osato chemicals introduction - that fight scene is good and I like connery's investigation of the office. Love the sneaky bond music when Connery puts on the mask and coat to disguise himself
    Why did spectre kill Henderson? Especially at that point - and why not kill whoever he was talking to (aka Bond).

Osato trying to assassinate Bond by machine gun in the driveway of his own company seems wildly risky.
  • The peak of 60s Bondmania. My favorite Connery actually, just edging out Thunderball. From the ninja raid on the volcano lair to the beautiful Barry score to the piranha, the dock fight, the sights of Tokyo, there is so much to enjoy.
    How I adore that helicopter shot of the fight on the rooftop at the kobi docks. Have always loved it. As if God himself took a break to watch Bond in action.
    As has been noted many times the Helga Brandt stuff makes no sense. But I also find her without much menace - obviously she's a duplicate Fiona Volpe but she doesn't have the charm or danger. The actress Karin Dor is actually quite good in other films (Hitchcock's 'Topaz' especially) but here something doesn't click for me.
    I see Desmond Llewyln is channeling his inner 'it ain't half hot mum.'
    Ken adam's extravagant set design is a sight to behold.
    There's a good half hour where nothing much happens - it's languid and spends time getting to know the style, atmosphere and customs of the area.

One thing that occurred to me was that Mie Hama was going to fired because she didn't speak English very well - but why does it matter when they were probably going to dub her anyway and had done for virtually every Bond girl and even Gert Frobe before?
    That waterfall that kissy and bond walk past on their hike up the mountain looks amazing.
    Lucky Bond brought his suction cup knee pads in his fisherman's outfit!
    the introduction of blofeld - nice dialogue and memorably scored by Barry
    Kissy is pretty resilient - good at hiking, swimming and then climbing back up the mountain with tiger and the ninja army - and she does it all in a bikini!
    I hope Dynamite Comics do a Tiger Tanaka series with Kissy as an operative. Would be great. Especially set in the 60s.
    The shot of all the ninjas a sailing down like falling spaghetti is excellent.
    I wonder how much Fleming Connery bothered reading after he had established himself in the role? Did he read the YOLT novel? What did he think. Would be curious to know.
    Needless to say but They could have used Hans to much better effect in that final fight.
    What is the purpose of having self-destructs set around the volcano? When would blofeld need them - even in his worst case scenario it does little to aid his situation.
    It's lucky that kissy and bond get an inflatable raft all to themselves - could have been awkward if they had a few ninjas crashing their party.
    Only time Moneypenny gets the last line of a Bond film?
    and that's YOLT done and dusted. No real shift in my perception of it. It has almost no inherent logic when it's comes to the villains especially. But it has a wonderful travelogue feel - the most indulgent of the whole series I'd say. Sometimes other films like Octopussy for example kind of skip over the cultural investigation - not that it needs to do more - I'm just glad one of the bond films has really put in the leg work.

It's never been one of my favourites but I've always given it a pass. I find it lush and exotic. I've always given the novel a bit of a pass too because it's unique, slow and reflective with a weird, deathly tone.

Wish they'd given it to Maibum to write rather than Dahl - but then again the volcano thing is amazing.

Connery doesn't so much seem bored as just uncertain what to hang on to for his character - it really gives him little to do as an actor.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    One thing that occurred to me was that Mie Hama was going to fired because she didn't speak English very well - but why does it matter when they were probably going to dub her anyway and had done for virtually every Bond girl and even Gert Frobe before?
    It's easier for the filmmakers to work with an English-speaking actress, @Major_Boothroyd-san.

Maibaum writing YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, never gave that much thought. Awesome possibilities.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    We begin TND.

"A terrorist arms bazaar on the Russian border"

Am I the only one bothered by how specific that is?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Well, they didn't say which side.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    jake24 wrote: »
    We begin TND.

"A terrorist arms bazaar on the Russian border"

Am I the only one bothered by how specific that is?

I am always bothered by captions giving location; I think it's lazy, and the location should be revealed through visuals and dialogue (like the "show don't tell" advice given to writers).

It's annoyed me more since Team America: World Police highlighted it so hilariously.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Interesting, I have never looked at it that way.