The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2022 Posts: 23,380
    Telly is my favorite on screen Blofeld, he has Lex Luther vibes which work.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The tonal shifts of JB's score is impressive it often lulls the viewer into a false sense of security.
    Catherine Schell :x
    OHMSS is a masterpiece, its impossible not to be totally locked into this film.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,627
    Diana Rigg is a fantastic actress, arguably the best in the whole series.

While I find it hard to believe, Diana Rigg wasn't even their first choice. :)) That said, they really lucked out, as she brings real depth to the role. In fact, it's hard to imagine any other actress (before or after) as Tracy.

Somewhere, there is an alternative universe where EON casted "tier 1" actresses as Bond girls from the very beginning (i.e., Julie Christie, etc..). There were good reasons that they went in the direction that they did, and I wouldn't change a thing if given a chance, but it is food for thought.
    OHMSS is a masterpiece, its impossible not to be totally locked into this film.

+100 percent
    Dwayne wrote: »

While I find it hard to believe, Diana Rigg wasn't even their first choice. :)) That said, they really lucked out, as she brings real depth to the role. In fact, it's hard to imagine any other actress (before or after) as Tracy.

Somewhere, there is an alternative universe where EON casted "tier 1" actresses as Bond girls from the very beginning (i.e., Julie Christie, etc..). There were good reasons that they went in the direction that they did, and I wouldn't change a thing if given a chance, but it is food for thought.

Julie Christie I think was considered for TB also a fine actress, though Diana is irreplaceable. Diana Rigg has a toughness and vulnerability that really elevates the movie version of Tracy.
    JB's score is astounding you really feel Bond is in peril numerous time during this film.
    Bond is at his wits end when Tracy appears, amazing moment for many reasons.

Julie Christie I think was considered for TB also a fine actress, though Diana is irreplaceable. Diana Rigg has a toughness and vulnerability that really elevates the movie version of Tracy.

Yes. They were thinking about casting Julie Christie as "Domino" in TB. Depending on the story you happen to read, she was rejected either because the interview went poorly or because she wasn't "large" enough.
    I love this movie.

Yes. They were thinking about casting Julie Christie as "Domino" in TB. Depending on the story you happen to read, she was rejected either because the interview went poorly or because she wasn't "large" enough.

Yes that is what I heard decades ago regarding the aesthetics, in my youth I thought Julie Christie was beautiful and still do.
    That rally cross sequence wow!
    No otter Bond film looks this good and has the emotional beats.
    The avalanche scene is way ahead of its time.
    Its no wonder this is a favorite of Christopher Nolan.
    The scene in M's office after the avalanche is one of the best shot scenes in cinema,

The set the lighting is I can't even put into words, its art.
    The scene in M's office after the avalanche is one of the best shot scenes in cinema,

The set the lighting is I can't even put into words.

Agreed. From seeing Bond's inner most thoughts (i.e., Tracy being dragged away) to the tense exchanges between Bond and M, it is perfection.

Personal highlight: "This department owes her a debt."

The set the lighting is I can't even put into words.

Agreed. From seeing Bond's inner most thoughts (i.e., Tracy being dragged away) to the tense exchanges between Bond and M, it is perfection.

Personal highlight: "This department owes her a debt."

The window scene is genius, fot a moment on a few rewatches of the scene It looked like the M office scenes had composites though made no sense with what was going on. I think its just the way it was shot at a very high frame rate.
    Merry Christmas @Dwayne
    Draco's helicopters in transit ground breaking cinematography.
    This film must have 5 acts.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    I watched OHMSS today too and loved it. Made me bemoan the last few films even more. Will we ever see a film like OHMSS again? NTTD used it’s music but it served as little more than a homage. This shows there was something fundamentally wrong with NTTD, which the reusing of music and themes couldn’t save.

So many great moments in this film.

Guns make me nervous.
    Merry Christmas @Dwayne

Same to you @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. While I'm planning on a formal OHMSS re-watch tomorrow, I seem to know most of this film by heart. :D
    Telly and Diana playing off each other is a joy.
    QsCat wrote: »
    I watched OHMSS today too and loved it. Made me bemoan the last few films even more. Will we ever see a film like OHMSS again? NTTD used it’s music but it served as little more than a homage. This shows there was something fundamentally wrong with NTTD, which the reusing of music and themes couldn’t save.

So many great moments in this film.

Guns make me nervous.

The last 3 DC films were not the best, thankfully there are so many great films in the series we can revisit.
    I love the little nod to Emma Peel.
    I think this film created pretty much every combat Computer game.
    This is the best James Bond film.

You wont get any argument from me on statement. Watched it this afternoon. Still a fantastic Bond movie!
    Telly and Diana playing off each other is a joy.

Thy dawn, O Master of the World, thy dawn;
    For thee the sunlight creeps across the lawn,
    For thee the ships are drawn down to the waves,
    For thee the markets throng with myriad slaves,
    For thee the hammer on the anvil rings,
    For thee the poet of beguilement sings.

It speaks to Rigg's abilities as an actress that this doesn't come across as phony or forced. We really believe that despite her self-destructive ways, Tracy is intelligent and well read. Much like Dame Diana in real life.