The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

The legendary CGI scene.
    Nuff said.
    The greatest movie in cinema history.

This viewing was quite fun, though. One of the best I've had for this particular Bond.

Long live DIE ANOTHER DAY!
    Have you taken your meds @ToTheRight? 🤣
    You cut 'DAD' a lot of slack there. I simply couldn't be that kind! Just realised it's 20 yrs old! Man, I will never forget that first screening, for all the wrong reasons, Daniel wasn't in the frame, and it all but looked like Brossa was going to continue in the role, and DAD was a hit, and I thought if this is what the Bond films are going to continue as,....I'm out! It was a depressing time!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,921
    That's what people seem to forget about DAD now - how successful it was at the box office. I know that BB, MGW and Lee Tamahori went to see The Bourne Identity together and all came out thinking that 'we were dead in the water' - and yeh, maybe artistically, but DAD still did massive money. Ok, there's no 'maybe' about it, they were dead in the water, artistically, and some of the fist-biting moments still haven't worn off, even now. But the common perception that another Brosnan film would've tanked in the wake of Bourne isn't necessarily the case - we'll never know, but DAD's box office figures suggest that it wasn't guaranteed.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    You cut 'DAD' a lot of slack there. I simply couldn't be that kind! Just realised it's 20 yrs old! Man, I will never forget that first screening, for all the wrong reasons, Daniel wasn't in the frame, and it all but looked like Brossa was going to continue in the role, and DAD was a hit, and I thought if this is what the Bond films are going to continue as,....I'm out! It was a depressing time!

Haha! It is Christmastime, @Mathis1!. Just spreading some DAD cheer.
    That said, I immediately popped in TLD afterwards as a cleansing therapy.
    I was hoping DAD might no longer remain at the bottom of my rankings.......and thus it still takes that last spot.
    Occasionally I place SPECTRE at the bottom as that's a film I'm rarely in the mood for, but I have recently discovered a new appreciation for that film.
    20 years is a long time. I just realised DAD was 1/3 of the series ago. Only five films have been made since. :(
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I was hoping DAD might no longer remain at the bottom of my rankings.......and thus it still takes that last spot.
    Occasionally I place SPECTRE at the bottom as that's a film I'm rarely in the mood for, but I have recently discovered a new appreciation for that film.
    20 years is a long time. I just realised DAD was 1/3 of the series ago. Only five films have been made since. :(

Yes, its quite something to think we only got 5 films since, though far better than it!
    I still enjoy SP, dont get the hate,the final section is dreadful, but there is a lot more to it than that, and I still claim it feels more like a Bond movie than SF!

Yes, its quite something to think we only got 5 films since, though far better than it!
    I still enjoy SP, dont get the hate,the final section is dreadful, but there is a lot more to it than that, and I still claim it feels more like a Bond movie than SF!

Been starting to feel that way, too. @Mathis1.
    Perhaps I've been pining for a more tarditional Bond epic lately? SP attempts to return to that.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

For a second there, I thought that I would have to send Annie Laurie Starr after you @ToTheRight :))
    4752a5a027349b4dfc26231a01373643.gif

@Venutius's point about the DAD box office is well taken (especially in the US). Note:
    US/Canadian Domestic Only (adjusted for inflation)

TWINE $219,612,573.32
    DAD $257,507,422.40
    CR $239,447,722.80

As you can see, DAD slightly outperformed CR in the “domestic” market. This was not the case outside of the US, where there was a significant increase in box office for CR ($427.10 vs. DAD’s $271.00). While I have no “facts” to back this up, it’s always been my feeling that US audiences tend to support the actor playing Bond, while UK audiences support the character of Bond (regardless of who plays him). Taken another way: it’s the quality of the film and not necessarily the popularity of the actor, and Brosnan was popular. Again, just my two cents.

Note: (1) Box Office numbers taken from The James Bond Movie Encyclopedia (2021, Steven Jay Rubin).
    (2) I converted the domestic box office to 2022 dollars to adjust for domestic inflation. This was not done for the international gross.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    OHMSS this film pops the cinematography is astounding one of the best looking films in the series.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2022 Posts: 23,267
    Great mermaid allusion with the attire Tracy is wearing when going into the ocean.
    Great action the fights on the beach are frenetic.
    I have said it before GL is convincing as Bond with his physicality.
    Bag of golf clubs nice little reference.
    Diana Rigg is a fantastic actress, arguably the best in the whole series.
    I love it when Bond slams the gate when walking with Draco's henchmen.
    'I am superstitious' gold.
    Bond's friendship with Draco is on par with Kerim, Columbo's and Mathis?
    GL is a great Bond I wish he had made more films.
    M is quite harsh in this which is effective.
    MajestysSecretService.jpg
    Gumbold office scene is phenomenal, John Barry's music is amazing.
    This is the best James Bond film.
    Having just watched GF and OHMSS in the last few days, and I have to say I've noticed this before, but I can't help but feel a strong similarity between when Bond is on the laser table in GF replying, "My name is James Bond" after Goldfinger addresses him as "007," and in OHMSS when Bond is caught, we get Blofeld's "Merry Christmas 007!" to which Bond defiantly says, "I'm Sir Hilary Bray." I wonder if it was at all intentional...
    The flight to Piz Gloria is breathtaking, the 4K remaster is incredible.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Having just watched GF and OHMSS in the last few days, and I have to say I've noticed this before, but I can't help but feel a strong similarity between when Bond is on the laser table in GF replying, "My name is James Bond" after Goldfinger addresses him as "007," and in OHMSS when Bond is caught, we get Blofeld's "Merry Christmas 007!" to which Bond defiantly says, "I'm Sir Hilary Bray." I wonder if it was at all intentional...

Bond defiant to the last in OHMSS.
    I love the way Bond underplays himself in Hilary persona.
    Tom Hanks recently said on a talk show he wanted to play We Have All The Time In The World as there wedding song though his wife decided otherwise.
    Bond breaks character when he see's Blofeld's Angles of Death for the first time, very effective and consistent with Bond.