The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

So is Campbell a British agent? I always assumed he was Marc Ange Draco's man because Bond is on holiday when he breaks into Gumboldt's office so I assumed he was working with Draco (especially seeing as his future father in law dropped Bond outside the office). But Blofeld seems to imply he is a Mi6 agent and what exactly was Campbell going to do once he climbed Piz Gloria? Try and sneak around the labs?

No,Campbell worked for Draco as far as I always understood it.
    I love the way he is reading the newspaper at the station and it shows the train crash as a headline,a scene they were going to include in the film but didn't,but kept that in.
    And then the tragic end...the film stays fairly true to Fleming although Lazenby's performance is more light hearted than the literary Bond. Peter Hunt and his crew and stunt team do some magical work here. OHMSS is one of holy quartet of films at the top of my rankings. Those four don't seem to move for me and this film comes in at number three. It has a quiet hour from about the 20 minute mark until the escape from Piz Gloria but then all hell breaks loose and it's an enjoyable roller coaster ride until that dark ending on a bright roadside.

Bullet hole in the windshield...but fear not...James bond will return

Great write up of OHMSS. Another masterpiece that feels as fresh to me when I watch it now as it did when I was a kid. I love every frame.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Decided to kick back, relax and be whisked to the oriental exoticism Japan...that's right I'm watching You Only Live Twice
    Quite a laid back gunbarrel score for YOLT. Connery shakey on the knee.

Capsule in Space...Barry nailing it straight out of the gate.
    The space craft opening up like a Venus flytrap, then closing and snipping the astronaut's chord...then he'll be off tumbling through space like the guy Bowie sung about...

Always forget about that little summit in the snow with UK representative, however unlikely it may be, telling the USA what's what...old man!

(He reminds me of Hugh Grant playing Jeremy Thorpe in 'A Very English Scandal')
    Neon lit Hong Kong streets...let's not worry about the logistics of the faked death and enjoy the opening strings of the dreamy title song.
    Binder is on form here too. The lava pools are a great image to build the titles around.
    Harold Jack Bloom gets a subtle 'additional story material by' credit...
    The funeralised Bond theme plays as he's given to the sea.

Connery calling Moneypenny 'penny'...how often does that happen?
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,721
    I still like the relationship between Connery and Lee the best in the Bond-M portrayals. And the Connery-Maxwell one for Bond-Moneypenny.

"This is the big one..."
    Tiger's team on the streets of Tokyo doing a good job of keeping an eye on 007
    The Sumo scene is great. Reminds me of the travelogue nature of the novels.

Aki first appears...
    Charles Gray...wish he was in this film for longer.
    The most silent death ever
    Of course he carried Connery all the way to the top floor.

Really like this fight. Using the couch, dodging the sword and breaking the statue.

Makes me want to try Siamese vodka...despite...or maybe because of Bond's reaction!
    Aki on hand to save Bond.

'I have no information to give you'

Anyone else reminded of Get Smart when Bond is in the hallway and walks toward Aki?
    "I imagine that your Mr M in London has a similar arrangement"... Fun exchange

Definitely back to the 60s with the attutides espoused in the bathing scene!

"She is very sexyful"...one of THE great lines in the series.
    The guy at Osato's chemicals is the most blatant dubbing for a minor character since the boat captain in Dr No. His voice doesn't match him at all.

The noisy cameras so loud Bond can see them spying on him...they should use the ones that Tanaka had when he was watching Bond chase Aki. Those were super quiet!

"Ah Williamson? He fell into a pulveriser at the works." Classic delivery from Connery. Bond can't even be bothered making up a decent lie.
    Osato sitting across from Bond reminds me of Walken cheekily checking out Bond in AVTAK.

Man...shooting Bond with a machine gun right outside Osato chemicals! Seems pretty brazen even for Spectre.
    A Drop in the ocean...great music
    Tiger on the screen in car...Basil exposition
    Kobe docks...one of my favourite scenes in the film. The music, the glorious Freddie young cinematography. The birds eye view of Bond on the rooftop. Aki bailing on the rope and escaping, Bond shooting a bunch of people.
    So if Helga Brandt is Spectre number 11 and Osato is ordering her to kill Bond...where does Osato fall in the Spectre numbering system? It's tempting to say he's just affiliated with Spectre but he seems more invested and connected to Spectre than that.
    There are so many moments in this film that were intriguingly edited into 1987's 'Happy Anniversary 007'...Which I watched before I ever saw YOLT...Bond falling down the chute at Tanaka's, the Helga Brandt dermatome scene, the shooting of bond in the PTS and part of the fight at Osato's - all of them ending on cliff hangers...made me want to know how these scenes ended!
    "He wouldn't touch that horrible girl."
    "Oh heaven forbid."
    Q brought his assembly team with him all the way to Japan? A hint of the '007 theme' as Little Nellie is put together.
    Love the swooping shot of Little Nellie taking off.
    The crater lake in the volcano is an inspired location. The shadows approaching behind little Nellie is great way to introduce the threat.

Bond theme kicks in!