The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Walking to the lab through the icy walkway looks like the Batcave.

Telly is strong in this first scene of his. George is holding up ok against him too. Although it must have been heartbreaking for him to hear his voice overdubbed by the man he was impersonating...it's quite a significant amount of time in the film. Wonder what George's attempt at the accent was like?
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,721
    Ruby nip slip
    The trippy hypnotherapy tape and lights. Could win benign bizarre category on its own!
    "I've seen them advertised!"
    Man...Campbell is dedicated! Climbing to the top of Piz Gloria is a long mornings work!
    I mean what I say...and I'll do what I claim.
    So is Campbell a British agent? I always assumed he was Marc Ange Draco's man because Bond is on holiday when he breaks into Gumboldt's office so I assumed he was working with Draco (especially seeing as his future father in law dropped Bond outside the office). But Blofeld seems to imply he is a Mi6 agent and what exactly was Campbell going to do once he climbed Piz Gloria? Try and sneak around the labs?
    I do like how physically complicated it is for Bond to escape the cable car room. Takes a hell of an effort to escape. To the point where I think it's reasonable that Blofeld would think Bond would never get out of there.
    I like how long that Pete Hunt holds the silent wide shot of the guard slowly realising that the lift has arrived but hasn't opened. Especially nicely juxtaposed with the rapid cuts right after of Bond punching him out.
    90 minutes in and now we're into the non-stop action segment of the film. This escape from Piz Gloria starts it very nicely. the menacing OHMSS theme adds the layer of danger.
    "Idiot"...gotta agree...he skied through the air into a tree.
    The music when Bond fights the guy on the precipice is reminiscent of FRWL stalking music.
    Hunt is not afraid of holding a long shot for effect. Like the first guy Bond throws off the cliff. We see him fall all the way down.
    Tracy shows up in time...a sight for sore eyes! Like how she protectively says 'stay close to me James' and then leads him the way.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Man...Campbell is dedicated! Climbing to the top of Piz Gloria is a long mornings work!
    "Such a keen climber, such a brilliant conversationalist." :))

Shaun Campbell, MI6 in the film and novel.

---

Best half hour of the film here, from the cog room to the barn.
    QBranch wrote: »
    "Such a keen climber, such a brilliant conversationalist." :))

Shaun Campbell, MI6 in the film and novel.

---

Best half hour of the film here, from the cog room to the barn.

I couldn't remember him in the novel. Been ages since I read it.

Yep, escape from the cog room, punch a dude out, ski escape, throw some dudes off a cliff, choke another dude, fight in a barn of pots and pans, car chase through streets, rally car smash up, brief respite for love, another killer ski chase, avalanche, brief respite to plead with M, attack on Piz Gloria, bobsled chase and fight. Pretty breathless and in contrast to the preceeding hour being light on action.
    Night in a manger surrounded by animals at Christmas...
    Bond plows through half the women of Piz Gloria then a few hours later is proposing to Tracey.

Then again she did make a pretty big impression on him by saving his ass.
    Those wonderful shots of them skiing in the morning. It is a little surprising Blofeld is so hands on here with the chase.
    "He had lots of guts" - something doesn't look or sound right in the delivery. Was it another beginning to the sentence in the original recording I wonder? The 'guts' syncs up but not some of the first words.
    So Blofeld sees Tracey survive the avalanche but still assumes 007 died in it?
    The helicopters at sunrise are stunning.

Damn - Rigg nails this scene so well. She elevates everyone she acts across from.
    But I'm already a countess...
    'Over and Out' on the soundtrack now
    Tracy going full Avengers on Gunther
    Welcome return of the Bond theme playing as Lazenby slides down tummy first.
    So much good carnage in this sequence. It's an exhilarating set piece and Hunt does well here.
    Bobsled battle is quite brutal. Helmet to the side of the wall is rough!

'He's branched off' This is about the fourth aside Lazenby has cheerfully said to himself in this film.
    The wedding sequence is over pretty swiftly. Nice work from Desmond and especially Lois - she does a lot with her few scenes in OHMSS.
    And then the tragic end...the film stays fairly true to Fleming although Lazenby's performance is more light hearted than the literary Bond. Peter Hunt and his crew and stunt team do some magical work here. OHMSS is one of holy quartet of films at the top of my rankings. Those four don't seem to move for me and this film comes in at number three. It has a quiet hour from about the 20 minute mark until the escape from Piz Gloria but then all hell breaks loose and it's an enjoyable roller coaster ride until that dark ending on a bright roadside.

Bullet hole in the windshield...but fear not...James bond will return