The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I remember buying the Madonna theme and thinking what the hell is this rubbish
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The amount of bad rear projection shots in this film is criminal, easily the laziest Bond film ever made
    This is Bad, TV movie level Bad
    This film makes DAF Look like a Masterpiece
    Brosbond tries to be earnest whilst looking like a hobo
    Brosbond remembers a technique Flint used
    Brosbond in a hypnotic state thinks God I wish John Glenn was making these films.
    Brosbond escapes in really bad rear projection Hong Kong. As much as I hate SF and SP they never got this bad
    This film is utter garbage, the sets are the worst in the series
    This is PB worst Bond portrayel IMO
    Jinx emerging from the ocean scene is comedy gold
    Halle is hot as hell
    'Born on Friday the 13th' the dialogue in this film is horrendous
    THIS FILM IS BAD!!!!!!!
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,394
    Best thing about this film is the score...

3:10 awesome
    It’s miles better than DAF and QOS.
    TR007 wrote: »
    It’s miles better than DAF and QOS.

I rate them films higher than DAD, though I much prefer DAD over drab TWINE, SF and SP.
    It's Saturday....my day off........finished my errands............time for some Bond

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

I don't seem to pop this one in as much as the other Sean's. But I'm really in the mood for some John Barry.

This alongside OHMSS has to be my favorite Barry score.

Gunbarrel- beautiful black and white...............it's in F minor rather than E minor. More bassy than others.

I love it!!!!!!! Barry knew how to mix this sequence up a bit without removing the formula, and or effing it up altogether.\

I love this opening music.............

Chris is hanging out.

I'll take this model work over ANY current George Lucas CGI bull any day of the week.

Shane Rimmer is great.

Again great music here.

The PTS isn't my number one favorite, but I do appreciate the fact it is different to the previous couple.

Sean is making out with a beauty and compares her to Peking duck and Russian caviar.

Titles...........................one of my favorite theme tunes.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The great Donald Pleasance. He used to always use food in a shot to make sure it would be difficult for an editor to smoothly cut away from him, thus giving himself more screen-time.

He must have learned that trick after this film, though.

Beautiful cinematography in this film.

The great Lewis Gilbert. Director of my go to films.

Bond's obituary picture is a current one, whereas in SF, Craig's seems to be from the CR era.

In keeping tradition alive, I must comment on the colors here.

Lowery did an amazing job cleaning this one up. The color timing is a bit cooler than the cinematic prints.
    I saw a beautiful print screened back in 1998 as part of a Connery Bond festival. Switch your television picture setting to the "movie" or "cinema" setting and you'd have an accurate version of what that print looked like. Usually those are warmer in temperature.

I saw another print screened in 2013, and it actually was a bit scratchy. However, the colors were far more rich as well as warm.

The CBS/Fox home video VHS and laser disc versions looked closer to that print.

Sean looks good. Not quite as lean as before, but still tough and rugged.

Bond and Aki driving around.

Here we go............Henderson. Charles Gray is great here.

Henderson effs up Bond's martini, bit the suave 007 remains polite and avoids correcting him.

That's what I'm going with anyway. I refuse to believe Roald Dahl didn't know what Bond's signature drink was, or that Cubby failed to correct the mistake.

Bond as Stacy Keach's Mike Hammer sporting an army green trench coat. Bond wears the buckle side of the belt on his right. I always did the left. Interesting.

"I'll make a note" was Mike Hammer's catchphrase.

Great fight scene here.
    Siamese vodka.

Bond on a slide. Great stuff here.

Tanaka is one of the great Bond allies, IMO. Instantly likable.

We need another character like him to be a good ally for Craig. Mathis I suppose would be the Kerim Bey of the Craig era. I don't recall any others in SF or SP.

SP has the Scooby gang instead.

Bond takes a bath. Classic scene. One of the most iconic images from this film, really alongside the volcano, Little Nellie and Blofeld.

I have a hunch that Daniel Craig may never have the pleasure of a scene like this.

Pity.

Bond riding to Osato's office. Comma above eyebrow: check. Navy blue single breasted suit: check.

I should track down a briefcase similar to Bond's here.

When I was in 5th grade, I had an obsession for extremely cool looking attache cases. I always felt the one Roger had in the PTS of OP was great.
    This one is fairly common in style.

The leather briefcase seems to have become extinct or paved the way for the laptop case.
    I really think Craig could pull off a hairstyle similar to Connery's here. He still has enough time to grow the top out a bit.
    The Kobe Docks sequence. One of my favorite scenes in the series.

Bond shoots a bunch of people and kicks arse without looking like Rambo or Terminator.
    I love the Helga sequence. Karin Dor was a beauty. Great in TOPAZ.
    Q arrives in his favorite shorts. He looks good.

Meanwhile, Roger Moore has sneaked out of Elstree Studios while on a break from filming THE SAINT to catch this latest 007 outing. He's thinking : "If I were ever to become Bond, I'll have to needle Desmond about this scene."
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    the sets are the worst in the series
    I think the issue is that there aren't enough unique-looking sets in DAD. The ice palace and diamond mine are actually pretty cool, but tainted by their CGI destruction later on.

Some very nice Bondian moments in DAD though: exposing Chang in the hotel room; decadent times with Raoul; abandoned tube station; Bond at his desk cleaning his gun etc.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    We have another reference to Bond's unseen missions here, with Q revealing Bond has piloted Little Nellie before.
    QBranch wrote: »
    the sets are the worst in the series
    I think the issue is that there aren't enough unique-looking sets in DAD. The ice palace and diamond mine are actually pretty cool, but tainted by their CGI destruction later on.

Some very nice Bondian moments in DAD though: exposing Chang in the hotel room; decadent times with Raoul; abandoned tube station; Bond at his desk cleaning his gun etc.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    We have another reference to Bond's unseen missions here, with Q revealing Bond has piloted Little Nellie before.

Good point. I've always liked little references like that. Bond was also in Tokyo previously with M. I imagine M covered up the entire situation thoroughly as officially, this is Bond's first time in Japan.
    Bond in disguise. Gustav Graves probably could have given Bond some pointers here.
    Aki dies. I find this scene far more effective than many later scenarios. For instance:

DELLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Connery seems genuinely affected, yet can keep his composure. Same with Jill Masterson. Also that brief shot of him in THUNDERBALL when he sees Paula's corpse completely conveys the right emotion without going too far into indication territory.

Connery is the man.

Kissy offers Bond some oysters, yet rejects his advances.

I suppose the dorky looking wig was a turn off.

Bond stares at her while she sleeps thinking " Damn, you, Tiger!".