The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

We need another Mardi Gras/Junkanoo type scene. I suppose the Day of the Dead PTS counts, though.
    It's Snoopy!!!
    I love every frame of the cable car bit including Dolly.

When I was a kid I loved both Jaws Bonds. I never understood the flack this one gets, though some of the humor is over the top. This film runs with it unashamedly.
    A lot of the humor is pretty funny, IMO.

The Roger nod.

Jaws has considerably longer hair in this film.
    The little fight in the ambulance never fails to entertain me.

Bond rolls down the cobblestone hill unscathed.

I lived on a cobblestone hill for years and can say if one fell at that speed you'd probably end up looking like Craig after the Miami airport scene.
    THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN theme is great. Although the joke isn't as funny as it was when I was a kid, it's a cool reminder of how great a film that was.

Same with the LAWRENCE OF ARABIA joke. Makes me want to buy the Blu-ray of that film every-time I get to that moment. Maybe that should be my New Year's resolution: to buy copies of THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA to add to my movie library.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 15,818
    The hang glider/jungle hike section. I love this bit. I also love Roger's safari outfit. I used to have a few shirts like Roger's. Always went for the OP tan or the TMWTGG green.

I should look online to see if I can find something like Roger's shirt here. I used to have a digital late '70's era Seiko as well, very similar to Roger's. Wish I knew what model that was.
    Bang on time.

One of my favorite Roger Seiko gadgets, though it seems a trifle inconvenient, taking the back casing off and everything. Perhaps Q was getting even with Bond for all his needling?

I love the Ken Adam sets in this one. Hard to believe this wasn't shot at Pinewood.

The outer space effects, were though and they look far more impressive, IMO than any of the CGI today.
    I'd rather watch this, THE BLACK HOLE or STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE than any of the recent CGI STAR WARS adventures, at least in terms of visual effects.

I actually haven't seen any of the newest STAR WARS movies, TBH.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    The opening gunbarrel chords are very distinctive to this film. They have become too similar in recent years.
    I believe we've talked about this before but I'll never get tired of agreeing. EON/Bond composers, don't give us generic arrangements! Play with the theme!

The gas mask scene.

Bond makes an a$$ out of the MI6 staff and humiliates Freddie Gray. LOL
    "I think you owe us an explanation, 007."
    (eyebrow raises)

For some reason Roger gives me a George Hamilton vibe in that moment.

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN theme is great. Although the joke isn't as funny as it was when I was a kid, it's a cool reminder of how great a film that was.
    And it's a lovely arrangement.
    Can I just say how much I enjoy your comments on the Bond movies ToTheRight throughout the year! Would love to be able to do it more often myself but I like to watch Bond uninterrupted, but I hope to try it more in 2019. Missed out on the NSNA and TB group watch and would love to have been involved! Hopefully can join in (times permitting) in the New Year.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The opening gunbarrel chords are very distinctive to this film. They have become too similar in recent years.
    I believe we've talked about this before but I'll never get tired of agreeing. EON/Bond composers, don't give us generic arrangements! Play with the theme!

The gas mask scene.

(eyebrow raises)

Roger's tan in this film is a bit George Hamilton as well.

I wonder if George might have made a dashing Felix Leiter? He actually had a variety of good roles in his earlier career. He's great as Robert Mitchum's coming of age son in HOME FROM THE HILL.

I definitely feel the recent recordings of the Bond theme have been too similar. I'd much rather have a traditional John Barry era structure in the gunbarrel, with each recording sounding specific to that film, than the complete re-arrangements we've gotten since TND.

I think the run time of he gunbarrels are partly to do with this as the blood plops down so fast there isn't sufficient time to play the melody in full presentation.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Can I just say how much I enjoy your comments on the Bond movies ToTheRight throughout the year! Would love to be able to do it more often myself but I like to watch Bond uninterrupted, but I hope to try it more in 2019. Missed out on the NSNA and TB group watch and would love to have been involved! Hopefully can join in (times permitting) in the New Year.

Thank you, @Mathis1 . I appreciate that.

Hopefully we can have more group viewings this year. They are a lot of fun. I think the Bond excitement will be in full force this year since we'll have a new film in production.

The gas mask scene.

(eyebrow raises)

I wonder if George might have made a dashing Felix Leiter? He actually had a variety of good roles in his earlier career. He's great as Robert Mitchum's coming of age son in HOME FROM THE HILL.

I definitely feel the recent recordings of the Bond theme have been too similar. I'd much rather have a traditional John Barry era structure in the gunbarrel, with each recording sounding specific to that film, than the complete re-arrangements we've gotten since TND.

I think the run time of he gunbarrels are partly to do with this as the blood plops down so fast there isn't sufficient time to play the melody in full presentation.

Hmm, I can see Hamilton playing Leiter. Masculine but not without a sense of humor. However, I don't think he would've worked too well with Moore in particular. In theory he could've worked with a more serious Bond.

(Hamilton I'm a fan of since I saw him as a kid in his second Columbo appearance-- one of the best episodes, incidentally.)

I'm not against playing with the structure from time to time, but like you, I want the traditional Barry structure to be the default one (as you say, the runtime is certainly making that difficult these days). The orchestration (to use the precise term) should be varied, though. It's been ages since we had something as distinctive as the MR gunbarrel.

I agree; they're enjoyable. I've grown accustomed to reading them.

The gas mask scene.

(eyebrow raises)

Hmm, I can see Hamilton playing Leiter. Masculine but not without a sense of humor. However, I don't think he would've worked too well with Moore in particular. In theory he could've worked with a more serious Bond.

(Hamilton I'm a fan of since I saw him as a kid in his second Columbo appearance-- one of the best episodes, incidentally.)

I'm not against playing with the structure from time to time, but like you, I want the traditional Barry structure to be the default one (as you say, the runtime is certainly making that difficult these days). The orchestration (to use the precise term) should be varied, though. It's been ages since we had something as distinctive as the MR gunbarrel.

I've been a fan of Hamilton since LOVE AT FIRST BITE, and later discovered his earlier films. Great in YOUR CHEATIN' HEART.

I like the gunbarrel played with occasionally as in SPY or LICENCE, but it seems ages since we've got a traditional version.

This viewing of MR has been a blast. Started off my New Year's Day wonderfully.

Bond is attempting to destroy the 3 globes.

"One down two to go". He said that sort of line on THE SAINT often.

The 3rd globe is a bit tricky. I could see Pierce doing classic Brosnan pain-face here.

Q is great here.

Roger should have done the nod once he realizes he's on camera.

The disco rendition. Yeah!

That was great. MR always hits the spot. The Blu-ray does the film justice, I must say and looks pretty close to the cinematic prints.

Actually, the 35mm print I saw a few years ago was quite hammered, but the colors were striking.

I agree; they're enjoyable. I've grown accustomed to reading them.

Thanks! I imagine with this new year and a new Bond film in the works I'll be popping these in fairly often this year. I'm starting to get that excitement whenever a new film is in production. Just around the corner..........
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Q is great here.

Roger should have done the nod once he realizes he's on camera.

The disco rendition. Yeah!

That was great. MR always hits the spot. The Blu-ray does the film justice, I must say and looks pretty close to the cinematic prints.

Actually, the 35mm print I saw a few years ago was quite hammered, but the colors were striking.

Glad you enjoyed it @ToTheRight ! I'm a fan of MR - has some striking sequences, great music and Bond's banter with Drax is top class. The Blu-Ray is good transfer I agree.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    MR back on top as my fav Bond film, glad to see the love for it here :)

Thoughts on next group viewing? Time and film? Feel like we haven't done a Pierce group viewing before.
    I could probably do a group viewing this Friday night.
    I could do Friday night if the start time is at anypoint between 8-11pm ET
    Are we still up for a group viewing of a Bond tonight? Maybe around 8pm ET?
    Looks like I'm going to have to miss tonight, actually. Have fun, guys! Have a martini for me.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 3,347
    Ah sorry folks. Got home later than expected and won't be able to start at 11. We will plan another viewing soon. Maybe two/three weeks out to give everyone plenty of notice?
    Quantum of Solace just popped up on tv. Might watch a littlle.
    biggest mistake was not having the gun barrel. Still bothers me.

Love this PTS.
    Best that Daniel Craig has ever looked as Bond.
    Always annoyed me how it looked as if M has been shot during the Mitchell and White escape.

Love the chase on the roofs, the way Bond slides on the falling tiles, jumps off the roof and slams onto the balcony opposite.

The cause and effect in the car chase and the fight on the scaffolding is very enjoyable.
    This film rockets along. 15 minutes in to it and we've had PTS with a car chase, opening titles, interrogation, fight with Mitchell, briefing from M and we're already in Haiti killing slate and meeting Camille.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Love the intro with Greene. Him and his silly stamps
    Love the intro with Greene. Him and his silly stamps

Dominic Greene is not a favourite of mine but I do like that random character choice of mindlessly stamping patterns on a piece of paper.