The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Syd Cain's work as production designer is so underrated. While it is not as grand in scope as Ken Adam, it is really amazing. Watching LALD, and I love every nuance of Bond's flat. The kitchen, fancy espresso maker, the bedroom very classy, filled decanter on side table in living room, elegant paintings. Just realized there is a window with Venetian blinds looking into the kitchen. Great stuff
    I actually had no idea that Adam didn't work on LALD or TMWTGG up to now! I always thought those were Adam. Good to learn something new!

They certainly were more Adam than anything in the 80's, 90's (except GE), 00's (except QoS) or the 10's imho. So I agree, Cain was very good.

I just looked him up and realized he worked on GE. That explains a lot, because I've always thought that was the one film from the Brosnan run which captured the Adam feel. It has that industrial, concrete Le Corbusier flavour.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I sincerely dislike the FYEO underwater scenes. Take out those and the hockey rink fight, and you've got a great Bond film.

That film is good but those are by far the weakest parts. I find on average underwater scenes in a bond film don’t work for me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Much as sections of Conte's score feel off and out of place, I don't think Barry himself could have improved on the bits where Bond is ascending the cliff side.

That and the part where Bond chases and disposes of Locque are beautifully scored. Very tense, and it has to do with keeping back more than anything else. Silence suddenly broken is a very dramatic effect and a great tool for a film composer.
    THUNDERBALL

Gunbarrel- one of my favorites! Connery in color....though I do prefer the early ones to be in black and white.
    I remember the ABC net omitting the GB one airing.

Bond fights Bouvard. I love this bit....................then he tosses the flowers.
    The jet back is pretty classic. I'd love to see Craig escape in some similar fashion, though I doubt it would happen.
    The great Tom Jones.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    The jet back is pretty classic. I'd love to see Craig escape in some similar fashion, though I doubt it would happen.

The parachute in SP is probably the closest to that moment re CraigBond.
    barryt007 wrote: »

The parachute in SP is probably the closest to that moment re CraigBond.

True. Something about the way it was shot, though doesn't seem spectacular to me, though. In fact I had to think for a second when that happens after reading your post.
    Produced by Kevin McClory...............the author of Ian Fleming's pain.

Bad joke- sorry.

Bad joke- sorry.

He was certainly one of the pains in Ian's life.
    I love Largo.
    Ah, Blofeld. Anthony Dawson voiced by Eric Pohlman.....or was that Joseph Wiseman? I'm a little confused.
    Controversial opinion here: I like THIS Spectre meeting better than the one in SPECTRE.
    Moneypenny, the next time I see you I'll put you across my knee.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 15,846
    I love the music in the Schrubland scenes. Sneaky Bond.....

time for a grape.

In NSNA it's apple.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Bad joke- sorry.

He was certainly one of the pains in Ian's life.

I really should get that Battle of Bond book.
    Bond looks like he's humping the rack.
    Help help HEY!
    I don't care what anyone says in the PC crowd. Patricia was into him. Bond knew it.
    Case closed.
    Mink..............it reduces the tension
    I love Fiona. Although Onatopp is amazingly popular, and Famke was great, I prefer the Fiona femme fatale character.
    The missile stealing section of TB...sometimes known as the boring section, now begins....................

NSNA's equivalent to this scene does move quite a bit faster.
    Wait, there's more sneaky Bond.

Sometimes I roll up my sleeves all the way like Sean.

I post comment that EVERY time I watch TB and get to that part.
    Connery is the man.
    I love that Ricou Browning worked on the underwater sequences here. I just watched CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON last night and the underwater work was great.
    Bond looks good in that gray overcoat.

Another time, another place.
    I wonder if that stretch of road Bond is chased on in his Aston martin looks the same now?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    He has to get it where he can.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    mattjoes wrote: »
    He has to get it where he can.
    It certainly got him in the mood for Pat. I've always been amazed by his stamina in that section of the film. Straight out of the rack and into the steam room, no less.