The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

So in SP, first Mr. Hinx pummels Bond into submission, and then Blofeld drills into Bond's head. And in CR, Le Chiffre made mincemeat of Bond's balls. I don't remember the other Bonds being abused as badly, or am I wrong? If EON continues to up the ante, what might happen to him in the next film--or when the next Bond takes over?
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 1,469
    Yeah, you're right--I remember in the novel CR, it's worse than in the film. Haven't read the other books unfortunately.

About Bond's accuracy in shooting the henchmen during the escape, one could argue that the head-drilling would disorientate Bond. But perhaps the adrenaline rush and pain would've focused his senses. Nice recovery from his wild grouping of shots in the first part of SF.
    About the final act, yes, there are parts that require suspension of disbelief--a few parts for me are how Bond was able to find Madeleine in the old MI6 building in only about two minutes 15 seconds, fall to the "net" without tumbling, and escape the demolition in time; how it was made up a bit like Scaramanga's funhouse; and how conveniently Blofeld's helicopter flew over the Thames to be shot down. Also how the Aston Martin got put back together so quickly. I guess I'm willing to overlook some of those things in the name of entertainment but mostly because it's a Bond film.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Thrasos wrote: »
    w2bond wrote: »
    I half watched Spectre as it was on TV last night. Most of it makes me want to cry at what a missed opportunity it was. I think it will go down in the rankings at the next Bondathon. It feels like an alternate universe Bond film. Almost like if the series stopped, and was bought and revived 50 years later and the filmmakers were like...hmm what makes a Bond film a Bond film.
    I understand...I know many feel it's a departure. I still like it a lot.

I think the fight scene with Hinx was very well done. I also think it was important to show Bond's vulnerability, that someone else is bigger and stronger than him, a la Jaws--something we discussed in another thread--and that circumstances, in this case Swann, help him overcome the odds. I also think the following scene is believable--it happens, despite the age difference--two people who like to have sex. Before all that, M's intelligence--wisdom might be a better word--is a good counterpoint, in telling Q and Moneypenny to cool it.

The fight scene is excellent. Great use of the environment. And Bond doesn't win on his own. Definitely the highlight of the film
    Back to FYEO . Got up early to finish this one,

I love the driver's reaction after "I...won't need you anymore tonight."
    Charles Dance.
    This is the scene where he effed up his chances of EVER becoming a Bond. Glen didn't like the way he held his gun, and he apparently bad mouthed Glen in an interview some time later for it. Still years later he'd make a dashing Ian Fleming.
    If I were a rich man,
    Daidle deedle daidle
    Daidle daidle deedle daidle dumb

All day long I'd biddy-biddy-bum
    If I were a wealthy man

I wouldn't have to work hard,
    Daidle deedle daidle
    Daidle daidle deedle daidle dumb
    If I were a biddy-biddy rich,
    Daidle deedle daidle daidle man
    THIS is the way to make a Bond film which homages earlier efforts. The beach scenes echo OHMSS, even down to the clothes Bond and Lisl are wearing. Yet, the scene has it's own dynamic and doesn't take one of of the film.
    Columbo is Roger's Kerim bey. A great ally, IMO.
    The famous scene!

You left this with Ferrara I believe.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

That's not just a driver,that's Apostis,one of Kristatos' killers,the one who tries to kick Bond off St Cyril's as he reaches the top.

barryt007 wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

That's not just a driver,that's Apostis,one of Kristatos' killers,the one who tries to kick Bond off St Cyril's as he reaches the top.

That's right. Just finished that sequence actually. Apostis most certainly has 1981 hair.
    Kristatos is the most human and realistic of Moore's villains, IMO. He reminds me of the kind of person one might have as a CEO or department manager at a job no one there likes. Not sure if I'm giving him praise for that quality or if I find him the weakest of Roger's main adversaries.
    A great viewing of FYEO, and this one will once again go up a few notches in my rankings.........probably later today!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

About Bond's accuracy in shooting the henchmen during the escape, one could argue that the head-drilling would disorientate Bond. But perhaps the adrenaline rush and pain would've focused his senses. Nice recovery from his wild grouping of shots in the first part of SF.

All the head drilling did was take away his womanizing instincts.

All the head drilling did was take away his womanizing instincts.
    :)
    Birdleson wrote: »
    GF is so good, no matter how many times I see it. Desmond is marvelous here.
    You're right...it's a true classic. The pacing is perfect throughout.
    Yeah. GF IS Bond. I can’t place myself in the “it’s overrated” crowd. It’s actually just that good!
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited April 2018 Posts: 2,252
    I personally find Connery's performance in DN and FRWL more nuanced and animalistic. He's good in GF too but he has less to do, and I think Young controlled the actors' performances more closely
    Birdleson wrote: »
    GF is so good, no matter how many times I see it. Desmond is marvelous here.
    You're right...it's a true classic. The pacing is perfect throughout.

Love GF but I can't agree it's pacing is perfect.
    The scenes in Kentucky slow it down considerably! But it has so many memorable moments/ set pieces and characters!
    Im not GF's biggest fan but you cant fault the golf scene,absolutely brilliant and beautiful to watch.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Yeah. GF IS Bond. I can’t place myself in the “it’s overrated” crowd. It’s actually just that good!

Absolutely agree.
    FoxRox wrote: »

That's the way I feel. The film truly deserves it's iconic reputation and status. I am NEVER bored when watching GF.
    Everyone's favorite Bond film SPECTRE.

PTS- the gunbarrel- welcome back old friend.

In the PTS of GoldenEye Pierce makes a reference to stopping in the bathroom. He traveled 20 years in the future and used Mendes' work print of SP as his target- hence the yellowish hue.
    Back in the mid 80's Ted Turner's company was colorizing old classic films. The color palettes were limited then so everything seemed to have either a majenta, lavender or yellow look.
    This looks like a 1986 colorized version of a Bond film.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 15,818
    I got a haircut this morning in honor of the fact I turned a year older yesterday. I'm still younger than Daniel in SkyFall (just). The haircut, however, ended up looking like Daniel's in SP. So I'm watching this one.
    M scolds Bond. I like this bit.
    I want M to say "Oh do come along Bond!!!"
    Scooby dooby doo where are you?
    I love Bond's flat. I could see Sam Spade, Mike Hammer or Philip Marlowe having an apartment like that. Very old school noir, On second thought, the colors don't bother me so much this time round.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 15,818
    Correction, Tanner, it's called the "double O section". Not program.