Will James Bond ever lose its wide appeal?

13»

Comments

Fair points but, as rebuttle, Bond acting as lone wolf or similar is something that has been discussed on many threads and many believe has been done to death (ignoring direct orders, going AWOL, etc) plus , in the end, he is devoted to "King and County", he is part of the establishment: taking orders from M and, indirectly from the PM.
    Bourne is a better example of someone who went "off grid" and went against the establishment.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I hear you and agree that so obviously 'off the grid' is not necessarily the way to go, and probably has been overdone in the Bond universe of late.

I also agree that Bourne captures the obvious 'anti-establishment' focus better. Bond has reacted to that, not so successfully in my view.

I still think there is room for a lone agent working for HMSS though. Similar to how Bond was portrayed in the past (prior to Dalton's LTK). Someone who just gets on with it, infiltrates his enemies, and uses alliances where necessary, rather than being overly team oriented, as appears to be the case lately (and which is more in the MI/24 vein).

Moreover, Brexit has, at least to me, ostensibly re-established Britain's place in the world as a place that can stand apart and see things from a different perspective (rather than blindly gang-banging it with the rest of them, which was a tone established during the Blair poodle years imho), which again reminds me of the Bond plots of old (YOLT, TSWLM, even TND)
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,599
    Yes, not sure if it has been discussed but IMHO , Brexit offers a big potential boost to Bond as it re-enforces the "Dunkirk spirit", "go it alone" "finest hour" , sheer bloody mindedness of the GB persona and I do wonder if this could be cleverly interwoven into the next script (not directly but as a clever backdrop or at metaphor level. )
    Although this may not go down so well in the European market.
    PS the Skyfall/Tennyson poem seems to resonate more in a post Brexit context than when the film was made? It does take a strong will to leave the EU.