What are you reading?

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I read one Andy Mcnab story, I cannot remember at the moment. Is Silencer one you really recommend or do you have another favorite one of his, @thelivingroyale? I'll get another one for sure.

Currently, I am re-reading The Sign of Four (or The Sign of The Four) by A. Conan Doyle. It is one of my favorite Sherlock Holmes stories. Compelling, full of weird mystery and eerie atmosphere, finishing with a race on the Thames. A great read!
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 12,837
    @4EverBonded Silencer might confuse you if you haven't read any of the Nick Stone books before so I'd read the first one, Remote Control.

My favourite Mcnab book though is non fiction, Bravo Two Zero, which is a true story about an SAS patrol during the Gulf War which Mcnab led. They were behind enemy lines and tried to escape to Syria (only one did, Chris Ryan, who's also become a successful fiction writer and who wrote his own account of what happened).

There's a lot of controversy about how much of it is actually true with a couple of other soldiers involved slagging Mcnab off for it but it's a very good book. Really grips you.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Thanks for the info; I'll get those. :) I really enjoy that kind of book.
    Now reading a Christmas gift: Johnny Cash: The Life by Robert Hilburn.
    After reading Cash's autobiography, I needed to cover a more objective account and it seems to me this would be the definitive biography. It studies not only the personal life but it's pretty detail on the musical aspects (more than the autobiography.) It's a most for every Cash fan.

9780316194754_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG
    Philip Kerr - A man without breath

• The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
    260 pages in. It's good but not Fleming Great. Bourne is a little dull compared to Bond but it makes sense as he is trying to recover his past.

Later in the Future
    The Bourne Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum (Don't have Supremacy yet)
    The Bourne Legacy by Eric Van Lustbader

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
    260 pages in. It's good but not Fleming Great. Bourne is a little dull compared to Bond but it makes sense as he is trying to recover his past.

Later in the Future

finish the Ludlum books first before you start the Lustbader series, as it is essentially a complete reboot of the Ludlum series.

• edited January 2014 Posts: 2,107
    The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy , second book ; The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

This time revisiting the series of books not in my native language, which obviously isn't english :p But I'm trying my best here!
    Cinema retro dr no movie classics special.
    A great read especially if you love dr no,which is my favorite.
    Terence young quote on fleming.

"I knew ian,funnily enough,but i never particularly liked him.
    We became,eventually,enormously good friends,but i thought he was a pompous son of a bitch,immensly arrogant,and when we met just after i'd been signed to do the picture at some big press show put on by united artists,he said 'So they've decided on you to fuck up my work' "
    Currently reading both Mark Kermode: Hatchet Job & Roger Moore: Bond On Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    0013 wrote:
    Now reading a Christmas gift: Johnny Cash: The Life by Robert Hilburn.
    After reading Cash's autobiography, I needed to cover a more objective account and it seems to me this would be the definitive biography. It studies not only the personal life but it's pretty detail on the musical aspects (more than the autobiography.) It's a most for every Cash fan.

9780316194754_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I enjoyed his autobiography very much. Have not seen this before. Thanks for the tip.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,350
    I'm half way through Thrilling Cities at the moment and enjoying it very much. I hope to have it finished soon. I also finally read the latest Bond on Set book.
    I haven't read any books for a while now but the last one I was reading was X-Wing (book 3) The Krytos Trap.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    edited January 2014 Posts: 578
    I'm reading Roger Moore's autobiography My Word Is My Bond. It seems to be pretty interesting so far.

my_word_is_my_bond.jpg
  • SaintMark wrote:
    The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum

Later in the Future

finish the Ludlum books first before you start the Lustbader series, as it is essentially a complete reboot of the Ludlum series.

But of course! I'm still tracking Supremacy down but in the meantime collecting Lustbader's 7 latest Bourne novels as The Bourne Ascendancy is releasing June 3, 2014.
    I'm reading Roger Moore's autobiography My Word Is My Bond. It seems to be pretty interesting so far.

my_word_is_my_bond.jpg

Its a great read! I thoroughly enjoyed it!
    RogueAgent wrote:

my_word_is_my_bond.jpg

I second that. Roger really is a gentleman. He's polite and complimentary about almost everyone he's been friends with or worked with. Even the two or three people he didn't like, he refuses to bitch about.
    RogueAgent wrote:

my_word_is_my_bond.jpg

I second that. Roger really is a gentleman. He's polite and complimentary about almost everyone he's been friends with or worked with. Even the two or three people he didn't like, he refuses to bitch about.

Without ruining it for anyone who has not read yet WillyGalore? The story about Richard Burton made me laugh the most. :))
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 6,396
    But at least I didn't mention names @RogueAgent ;-)
    But at least I didn't mention names @RogueAgent ;-)

Yep, but I could have said that...........?!!!!!
    ;)
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Currently reading Dracula- the undead, which is a 2009 sequel to the classic Bram Stoker original.
    What gives it extra heft is that it's written by Stoker's grand-nephew Dacre Stoker. He picks up the lives of primarily Mina Harker and her son, as well as Van Helsing and the other vampire slayers, 25 years later, as they face a new vampire threat. And what became of the original vampire? hmmm.
    Great read. I can hardly put it down.

And yes Rog's My Word is My Bond is a great read!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    RogueAgent wrote:

my_word_is_my_bond.jpg

I read this a couple of years ago I think, and if I remember correctly he wasn't very complementary about David Niven's wife! And rightly so.
    I'm currently reading "The making of On Her Majesty Secret Service" which is a huge enjoyment for me. I've learned many facts I didn't know, such as former boxer Primo Carnera being the first choice to play Che Che (unfortunatly, Carnera died in 1967).

The book is filled with many exclusive pictures, with tons of anectodes related with the story behind the camera. Reading the book confirmed for me the idea that Bond fans lost an extraordinary possibility to built something special on the long term with George Lazenby, a quick learner, athletic, smooth and good looking Bond.

I'm grateful we had such a fine actor as Sir Roger Moore in the role, but George Lazenby would have made a GREAT Bond over a period of 3 or 4 movies.

I've so enjoyed to book that I bought "The making of The Living Daylights" and can't wait to read it.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

my_word_is_my_bond.jpg

Without ruining it for anyone who has not read yet WillyGalore? The story about Richard Burton made me laugh the most. :))

:)) Just saw that post as I was reading that part. Anyway...I am also reading Eragon which is a pretty fun novel, even if it seems a tad like Lord Of The Rings with dragons
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2014 Posts: 28,694
    @SuperheroSith, Eragon ticks so many boxes of the Joseph Campbell monomyth it's insane.
  • Lee Child- 61 Hours
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 1,817
    I finished A Tale of Two Cities a few days ago. Great novel indeed. Even if takes to long to arrive to the climax, the wait is worth it as the ending is spectacular. The descriptions are beautifully written and the language is very elegant and poetic, but it was sometimes difficult to understand it for me.
    Finally, the parallelism with The Dark Knight Rises is notable, not only on for
    the eulogy by Gordon but also because of the similarities between characters Batman/Carton, Wayne/Darnay, Alfred/Lorry, Madame Defarge/Talia, and recurrent themes such as redemption, resurrection, terror and sacrifice.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Duncan Falconer - The Hostage.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    0013 wrote:
    I finished A Tale of Two Cities a few days ago. Great novel indeed. Even if takes to long to arrive to the climax, the wait is worth it as the ending is spectacular. The descriptions are beautifully written and the language is very elegant and poetic, but it was sometimes difficult to understand it for me.
    the eulogy by Gordon but also because of the similarities between characters Batman/Carton, Wayne/Darnay, Alfred/Lorry, Madame Defarge/Talia, and recurrent themes such as redemption, resurrection, terror and sacrifice.

That's another classic I will probably read some time in the future. It got spoiled for me years ago, which is a shame, but that's expected as it's one of the world's most revered texts.
    0013 wrote:

That's another classic I will probably read some time in the future. It got spoiled for me years ago, which is a shame, but that's expected as it's one of the world's most revered texts.

That's a shame but even if you know how it ends, it's nevertheless enjoyable because it is more than just a plot, it's a wonderfully written story. In my opinion, the language,how it is said, it's more important than the story, what it is said. Or in classic terms, elocutio over inventio. That is what contemporary literature lacks.