What are you reading?

Comments

Right now : Doc Savage, His Apocalyptic Life, by Philip Jose Farmer. Very good.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Reading Helfenstein's The Making Of On Her Majesty's Secret Service

This is truly a great book and I jump to this conclusion after about 45 pages. Ever Bond fan must read it.

Only one small complaint: it's loaded on typing errors.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'll definitely consider getting this, DarthDimi.
    And let me say that the lack of good editing is appalling these days, it really is.
    I'll definitely consider getting this, DarthDimi.
    And let me say that the lack of good editing is appalling these days, it really is.

True, though I wouldn't not read the book because of it. It's too much of a delight contentwise. ;-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Does it give any new information @DarthDimi?
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Oh I say still read that book. You can get great info from it, I'm sure.
    I just get irked often because everywhere you can find either no editing or appalling, sloppy editing. In online newspaper and magazines often and also in printed books at times. I think it is more prevalent now.

A personal example that still bugs me: My friend had a small book published about her experiences in the Middle East as 9/11 was happening. She had riveting encounters and I was happy she wrote it. (She is a wonderful person, by the way, and I am keeping her anonymous in this example.) It was published by a (I am guessing) small publishing firm, so I think there was supposed to be some editor checking her work ... I could be mistaken. It was not just online publishing. On one of the early pages, when she talks about looking in the mirror and wondering how everything has come crashing down on her and she finds herself in a dangerous situation, her wording was something like: "... wondering how I found myself in this foul situation." But her spelling was 'fowl.' Yes, like a turkey or chicken. It ruined every part of that moment. Sigh ... I do not know how she herself missed that one, let alone if anyone was backing her up by doing any proofing or editing.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Actually, @Samuel001, it does. For instance, I had no idea about all those drafts of the script before they shot the film. Learning what kind of ideas Maibaum had for the film, is quite exciting. This is merely one example. And remember I'm only a couple of pages in. :-)
    Well, it sounds like tons of good info. There are several books I need to get on the making of Bond films. This goes on that list, too. Let us know what you like as you go along in the book, DarthDimi.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 7,653
    After all the annoying free advertisement for "I am Pilgrim" on this site I decided to obtain it and it is indeed a pleasurable read not unlike Ludlum and Lustbader ( before the Bourne continuation novels).

The amazing thing is that the English Hardcover was cheaper than the English paperback or Ducth translation.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Actually, @Samuel001, it does. For instance, I had no idea about all those drafts of the script before they shot the film. Learning what kind of ideas Maibaum had for the film, is quite exciting. This is merely one example. And remember I'm only a couple of pages in. :-)

I thought you said 45? ;)

Honestly, that's great to know as that and the book on The Living Daylights are more than likely to be bought for my birthday. It's good to know they get a thumbs up.
    @SaintMark, please let me know how you like it. It turned out to be one of my favorite books on that kind; I love the way Hayes writes. I was completely hooked about page 30 and it really did get better with a fine ending, in my opinion.

Re: Helfenstein - did he only write that one? I need to know which "making of" Bond books are the ones most recommended ... if anyone can get me a short list, I'd appreciate it.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    No, as I mentioned above there was also one written for The Living Daylights.
    OK, so Helfenstein wrote at least 2 I know to get. Thanks, @Samuel001.

Any other authors people recommend for specific "making of " Bond films, please just let me know.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    DarthDimi wrote:

This is truly a great book and I jump to this conclusion after about 45 pages. Ever Bond fan must read it.

I have this book myself and I really must get round to reading it.
    @SaintMark, please let me know how you like it. It turned out to be one of my favorite books on that kind; I love the way Hayes writes. I was completely hooked about page 30 and it really did get better with a fine ending, in my opinion.

I will, I am currently halfway through the book. Like Ludlum a huge pagecount.

Samuel001 wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I thought you said 45? ;)

Honestly, that's great to know as that and the book on The Living Daylights are more than likely to be bought for my birthday. It's good to know they get a thumbs up.

Yeah, but it's a 300 page book so 45 is only a couple pages in for me. ;-)

OK, so Helfenstein wrote at least 2 I know to get. Thanks, @Samuel001.

Any other authors people recommend for specific "making of " Bond films, please just let me know.

True, @4EverBonded. Just those two. And I believe that he's said he would never do another one. Sadly.
    @4EverBonded

I AM PILGRIM left me with the feeling that Ludlum used to give me when he still lived and wrote, great thrillers that leave you wanting more and more. While he is remembered for his Jason Bourne the man wrote a shedload of great thriller novels all in a same genre as terry Hayes has done with "I am Pilgrim".
    I do hope that mr. Hayes next Pilgrim book is as good as his first, as the second novel often shows you if the writer has longevity. I do hope so.
    I really hope Hayes has longevity too, and I think he may because he has a long history of successful screenwriting. So he is a professional writer, and disciplined. He seems to be enjoying the success of I Am Pilgrim and I am thrilled that he has 2 more Pilgrim books planned out. His next book is not with the same main character, but I am hopeful that it is well written, too. That one coming up soon is called Year of the Locust. The Pilgrim follow ups will be 2015, I think. If we are lucky maybe we could get the first sequel to it late 2014, but I am sure he will be promoting his next one for most of this year.

No spoilers here because you are still reading it and others have not read it. But just to say that I agree that the writing is exciting and well done, for me far better than most on the market these days. It really was the quality of writing, almost lyrical at times and made you feel that you were right there, and with a decent story line that built suspense, that made I Am Pilgrim so outstanding for me. I read some Ludlum when I was much younger, and I'd like to revisit some of his later this year.
    I finished the book and really enjoyed myself, reading a book of this size in 48 hours means I REALLY enjoyed reading it. And me comparing it to Ludlums best work is an absolute compliment. And I am glad that he will write a book with another character than Pilgrim, before he returns to his 1st succes.
    A lot of people remember Ludlum mostly for his Jason Bourne when he has written so many great thrillers.
  • RC7RC7
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

The Helfenstein books are brilliant. Absolute 'musts' for genuine fans. There are only so many hardbacks featuring a regurgitation of the film plot and breakdown of the gadgets that one can stomach.
    Wow! I am impressed you finished it already, @SaintMark. I read it in one weekend, and couldn't put it down. So glad enjoyed it enough to finish it so quickly, too. I'll try to find out when his next one is being published - I think this spring, pretty soon. Yay!
    Do find out as I am curious about the mans second attempt.
    I will keep looking for definite info and let everybody know.

This is a small quote from an interview with Hayes (I posted the link a couple of pages back): Next is a book called “The Year of the Locust” – a REALLY intense thriller. Then I have the outlines for the next two Pilgrim books already done – I did them long before I finished this one so that I knew where I was going. That will complete his epic journey – a sort of Lord of the Rings of the espionage/ thriller genre! At least in its scope, if not in my abilities!

"REALLY intense thriller" sounds good to me for the next one. Thrilled about the continuation plans for Pilgrim, too. :)

OK, and here is a link to an interview with Terry Hayes about I Am Pilgrim, last October. I honestly have not had the time to listen to it yet, but I thought I'd share it with you all now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01b7431/profiles/i-am-pilgrim
    DarthDimi wrote:

I've always wanted to read it though I found it to be a little more expensive than my usual books and it's not top priority (I have to buy many books on Statistics for my dessertation). Perhaps later, if the price lowers a little.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    NicNac wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    I'm still making my way through the Game Of Thrones series by George R R Martin.
    Just finished this series Sandy. I'm bereft. Reportedly book 6 is due sometime in the next 12 months, and the final book sometime in the next 100 years.

That's why I'm taking them slow @NicNac, because I don't want to run into the problem of finishing before the next book is out.

I just finished reading The Beekeeper's Apprentice, by Laurie R. King. It's the first in the Mary Russell series. I devoured it, had no idea it was this good. It's a pastiche on Sherlock Holmes but not the usual kind, King obviously knows the canon but is able to offer something completely new. My only complaint is the way Watson is treated, huge heart and little brain. It should be needless to say that before I actually finished the book I already had the second one ready, A Monstrous Regiment of Women. Somehow, and in a very odd way, this second book seems to be even superior to the first one. I wish Bond had such a continuation author, respecting the material while doing something fresh and new.
    Sandy wrote:
    NicNac wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    I'm still making my way through the Game Of Thrones series by George R R Martin.
    Just finished this series Sandy. I'm bereft. Reportedly book 6 is due sometime in the next 12 months, and the final book sometime in the next 100 years.

That's why I'm taking them slow @NicNac, because I don't want to run into the problem of finishing before the next book is out.

At his current pace 2016 could be more likely but it'll be here before you know, like everything always is.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,894
    The Operative by Duncan Falconer

I often found myself asking if this was even the same John Stratton from The Hostage & The Hijack. The dialogue between Stratton and Josh felt out of place. That said, I liked how Stratton turned the tables on his would-be killers at the flats.

The 'Stratton' Series
    1. The Hijack (2004)
    2. The Hostage (2003)
    3. The Operative (2006)

Next: Undersea Prison

edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    007InVT wrote:

Oh, thanks, @007InVT ! I didn't know. I have read all of his now and will order this one soon. Cheers!

And @Birdleson, do you like it? Is it really interesting? I enjoy biographies, don't mind them being long, but only if well written and you can get a real feeling for the person as you are reading it.
    Just started reading EMPIRE OF THE SUN.