What are you reading?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    No time to read any new stuff as I've been reading again all the Bond books
    Including the continuing novels, not as published but in Bond's timeline so
    At the moment I'm reading Christopher Wood's TSWLM and then MR. :)
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    After two high-octane action adventure books, I've settled down with another from Zola's Rougon-Macquart series. Actually the first book of the series of twenty, The Fortune of The Rougons which sets out how the two families came about.
    I can thoroughly recommend any of Zola's works, a delight to read.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I need an off beat stand alone thriller.. any recommendations?
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I need an off beat stand alone thriller.. any recommendations?

Nothing Lasts Forever. The book Die Hard is based on.
    From time to time I've been reading additions to The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes series, written by various authors. I have enjoyed them all until Sherlock Holmes and The War of the Worlds. When you have different authors writing about the same character, you can expect differences, but this one just did not work for me. Despite all the familiar characters and places, it never engaged me and never felt like a Holmes novel.

Also read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. As I like time loop stories, I really wanted to like this one, but just couldn't. It was filled with detail that I didn't care about and didn't add to the story. It was clearly influenced by Ken Grimwood's Replay, a far superior and entertaining novel.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    @mcdonbb, if you have not read it yet: I Am Pilgrim, by Terry Hayes. Great writing, a great spy/thriller story.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Coreyography

Coreyography.jpg

Corey Feldman was an important child-actor in my youth. Goonies, Stand By Me, Lost Boys and even F13 Pt.4... I watched these films with great enthusiasm. So one could say I inhaled a lot of Corey in my childhood days. Of course things got bad at one point. Real-life Corey wasn't the happy kid he often played in films.

The Coreyography is a compelling book. I'm only a few chapters in and it's hard for me to put it down. I find myself re-reading various paragraphs, knowing this isn't fiction. The introduction alone is enough to get you invested. Corey talks about other Corey and his struggle with drugs, but also about false assumptions concerning the direct cause of Haim's death. And he talks about one of Hollywood's dirtiest 'secrets'.

This biography is brutally honest, in fact it's painfully honest. Since I must trust the author - what choice do I have? - I have decided to do exactly that. I want to believe Corey. And because I do, I find myself fascinated, intrigued, invested and, at times, shocked. It's a well written book, often pleasant, sometimes really sad.

Even if you don't know much of Corey Feldman's work, you should still consider reading this book. I have yet to finish it, but I'm about halfway and I can truly recommend it.
    Thanks to you both.
    I'm reading Brave New World for the first time. It's made me see the film Demolition Man (a favourite of mine as a teenager) in a different light.
    Thanks to all and sorry I missed your recommendation @Ludovico
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I'm currently reading Dressed to Kill: JamesBond, the suited hero.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California

20150109_00495_edit_1420793539811.jpg
    The Crimean war - Orlando Figes
    Snowman - Jo Nesbo
    the death of a policeman - MC Beaton
    the Third man - Graham Greene
    The Double by George Pelecanos.
  • Lee Child - One Shot
    David Baldacci - True Blue
    M.G. Gardiner - The Burning Mind
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,009
    After finishing "Day of The Triffids", I'm thinking about a book to pick. Meanwhile, I read random surrealistic fanfics I find around just to waste time.

I guess I'll pick T.E. Lawrence's Revolt In The Desert. I know it's a shortened version of Seven Pillars..., but it's the one I have at home.
    Adventures of Tom Sawyer, tend to read this novel every two or three years.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    13 BLOODLINES OF THE ILLUMINATI by Fritz Springmeier.

This guy thinks everything other than Christianity is Satanism, Other than that, entertaining read.
    Just finished Killing Floor by Lee Child, the first Jack Reacher novel, quite enjoyed it, so will be checking out others, and am now half-way through Scott Mariani's new one, The Forgotten Holocaust, the tenth Ben Hope book. Really love these books, and there really should be a film producer out there with enough savvy to see these would make a great series of action-adventure films!
  • Just finished Killing Floor by Lee Child, the first Jack Reacher novel, quite enjoyed it, so will be checking out others, quote]
    Gone Tomorrow is a good one, @4EverBonded is quite a fan of that one .
    here's a synopsis (stolen from amazon)
    Suicide bombers are easy to spot.
    They give out all kinds of tell-tale signs.
    There are twelve things to look for.No one who has worked in law enforcement will ever forget them.
    New York City.The subway, two o'clock in the morning.

Jack Reacher studies his fellow passengers. Four are OK. The fifth isn't.

The train brakes for Grand Central Station.

Will Reacher intervene, and save lives?

Or is he wrong?Will his intervention cost lives - including his own?
    Well whaddaya know @valentinzukovsky, Gone Tomorrow is in my 'to be read' pile. Looks like I made a good choice!
    The cooking instruction for rice. Just kidding.
    THE GODFATHER by Mario Puzo (1969)

I had forgotten just how good the book was. Funny that there is a character called Anthony Coppola there,
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Godfather is awesome read! Puzo has some other really good reads too....which explore themes of crime and family.
    Michael Corleone even turns up in The Sicilian.
    Now reading Anne Rice, The Wolves of Midwinter, 2nd novel in her man-wolf series.
    Recently finished Greg Iles thriller, Natchez Burning, and Preston-Child's, The Lost Island in which we learn Homer's Odyssey was all true.
    May read some Stephen King next.
    I have to say, The Godfather is one of the few examples of novels where the movie is superior to the source material. I enjoyed the book, but it was merely an enjoyable thriller, while the movie was Greek tragedy.
    Puzo wrote the book with the film in mind.
    I think he and Coppola were in cahoots from the start.
    The book is not far from being, the book of the film, as opposed to the other way around.
    Next to Bond, Godfather and original Planet of the Apes are the films I can watch over and over.
    They captured the characters so well in the film. I guess it has something to do with the involvement of Puzo.
    timmer wrote: »
    The book is not far from being, the book of the film, as opposed to the other way around.
    Next to Bond, Godfather and original Planet of the Apes are the films I can watch over and over.

I don't think they were in cahoot. Coppola had to fight the studios for everything, from casting to making the movie a period piece.

But yes what a great movie. For me the novel is a companion to the movie, but the latter is far superior.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 45,489
    Very much thanks to the music by Nino Rota among other things.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    timmer wrote: »

I don't think they were in cahoot. Coppola had to fight the studios for everything, from casting to making the movie a period piece.

But yes what a great movie. For me the novel is a companion to the movie, but the latter is far superior.
    By cahoots I should adjust to say they co-operated on the film screenplay together, although I should clarify it doesn't appear that Coppola had anything to do with the book, which was published in 1969.
    Back when I was ploughing through all the post-Godfather Puzo novels, (which are all excellent reads andvery similar in theme and tone to Godfather) I thought I had read somewhere that Puzo had written the book with Coppola and a film in mind, although I can't confirm that, or even remember how that seed got planted so fuhgetaboutit. ;)

I do remember though that Puzo was desperate for a successful novel.His first two efforts hadn't sold, so he may have been inquiring about film possibilities as he conceived Godfather.

Fleming wrote much the same way. He always had Bond-on-screen in mind

But once Coppola came on board, he and Puzo became serious collaborators.
    The two sequel novels by Winegardner are quite good too.
    I like that that the new author faithfully connects with movie continuity as well as Puzo's original book. He even provides a full timeline chart meshing Puzo-Coppola's novel-cinema work, with his two sequel novels.
    You don't see that too often, but I think that's because Puzo particated in the screenwriting and Coppola faithfully referenced the book, so the book and movies collaborate to tell the same tale.

I haven't read the 3rd sequel, The Family Corleone (2012) by Ed Falco.
    It's a prequel to Puzo's original, which continues with Vito's rise to prominence and how Sonny and Tom enter the family business.