What are you reading?

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The Redeemer by Jo Nesbo
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Oh yes! Clarke and Kubrick kept sending each other material but Kubrick was of course tough to work with; very stubborn. I can imagine Clarke getting slightly frustrated because of all the changes Kubrick would send him. Setting most of the Discovery mission close to Jupiter versus Saturn in the book (because Saturn would have been too expensive at the time to recreate for a movie), Kubrick practically forced Clarke to use Jupiter in the next couple of books too. So in that respect, 2010, 2061 and 3001 are more direct sequels to the movie 2001 than to the book 2001. ;-)

I do not own the other books, but read them years ago, and I did notice the discrepancy.

It makes sense that Saturn would be far more expensive than Jupiter. It is twice the fuel cost.
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons. For Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion it's a reread, Endymion/Rise of Endymion is new to me. Simmons is a great writer for this genre.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I am currently re-reading the Stratton series by Duncan falconer. At present, I am up to book 4, Mercenary. When I have finished this series, I plan on tackling the Sean Dillon books by Jack Higgins.

In the last week I have bought, from the Dillon series, Thunder Point, The Judas Gate, A Devil Is Waiting and The Death Trade. By the time I am ready to begin, I hop to have the first few books in the series ready.
    The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith.

Not a master author, but a master storyteller, and I like how his books are discretely connected.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The Belly of Paris, 1873 by Emile Zola - book 3 in the 20 book Rougon-Macquart series.
    ORKESTERGRAVEN (The Orchestra Pit) by Unni Lindell.
    Never read anything from this author before, amazed at how well written it is.
    A woman gets murdered on her way from work in an orchestra. The detective in charge soon gets hated by the killer who goes after his family.
    The title is an analogy. The orchestra pit is what separates the actors from the audience in the theatre, illusion from reality.
    Mr. Mercedes--I've been led to believe the novel is building toward a spectacular climax, but getting there has not been fun. I really enjoyed Hearts in Atlantis and 11/22/63, but here there is just too much filler. Concurrently I am also reading
    Dead Wake, the story of the Lusitania. This is very well done and far more interesting than Mr. Mercedes.
    A SMALL DEATH IN LISBON by Robert Wilson(1999).

A murder mystery with flashbacks to WW2.Excellent writing.
    A SMALL DEATH IN LISBON by Robert Wilson(1999).

A murder mystery with flashbacks to WW2.Excellent writing.

His Seville quartet are actually quite good too

reading

S King - Revival
    John Connolly - A song of shadows

coming soon

Phillip Kerr - the lady from Zagreb
    Jo Nesbo - Blood on snow

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'm reading William Boyd's Solo (2013) currently. So far, so good. I hope to review it on the blog.
  • Lee Child -Killing Floor
    Roger Hobbs - Ghost Man
    Bill Granger - There Are No Spies
    also dipping in and out of Jeremy Clarkson - The Top Gear Years.
    Shalimar The Clown - Salman Rushdie
    THE CHINESE (Kinesen) by Henning Mankell.

Swedish mass murder mystery.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Viv Albertine's memoir or growing up in England, being in a punk band (The Slits) and her whole life after leaving the music industry (coming back though with a new solo album in 2011 or 2012). Interesting, well written; so not me, but quite interesting!

@Thunderfinger, Mankell's has nothing to do with Wallender does it? I thought for a while there he would introduce Wallender's daughter as the lead in a new series.
    The Tin Drum - Gunter Grass (there's a new translation that was lauded by Grass himself, who helped some of his translators during a workshop)
    Viv Albertine's memoir or growing up in England, being in a punk band (The Slits) and her whole life after leaving the music industry (coming back though with a new solo album in 2011 or 2012). Interesting, well written; so not me, but quite interesting!

@Thunderfinger, Mankell's has nothing to do with Wallender does it? I thought for a while there he would introduce Wallender's daughter as the lead in a new series.

@4EverBonded, it is not a Wallander book and has no connection to that universe as far as I can tell, <This being the first Mankell book I read.

The heroine of the book is a female judge, and there are threads back to America and China in the 19th century. Not a bad book.
    Soon finished with the book, and there is one funny detail. I think Mankell must be a fan of Friends. There is a Chinese detective in the book who goes by the name of Chan Bing! Haha.
    Oracle Night - Paul Auster a story in a story in a story,one ofAuster's favorite tricks.
    Harmful Intent by Robin Cook. Not the politician, medical thriller.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 14,816
    Trackers by Deon Meyer.
    Nattsøsteren (The Night Sister) by Unni Lindell. Not as good as the other Lindell novel I read, but i shall finish it. It is the same old, same old. I suspect all her novels are the same now.
    I'm reading the entire "Rama"-omnibus, written by Arthur C. Clarke & Gentry Lee. I love it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Excellent choice, @Gustav_Graves!

I have read all four books twice now and I must confess I can't say anything bad about them except for one little thing we should probably discuss after you have finished reading them. :-)

Gentry Lee actually takes some heat for the final three novels. I figure he did most of the writing anyway since Clarke was getting up there in years, less productive and more willing to collaborate with other writers. Also, Rendez-Vous With Rama, the one book in this series Clarke wrote all by himself, features many of the elements that are typical for Clarke, like the fact that human beings are hardly significant to the story - it's all about the ship. Rama II, however, offers more conventional storytelling, a farcry from Clarke's usual stuff, with more emphasis on people than in the first book.

The complaints I have read about the later books I cannot agree with though. I love the epicness of the story, the big mysteries of the story and the writing. This is the kind of sci-fi I enjoy tremendously.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 7,653
    Just ordered three Lawrence Block hardcovers, one being the fifth book in the Keller series (Blocks series about a hitman) & two Matthew Scudder novels (one being the basis of the Neeson movie)

currently reading
    Joseph Finder - Vanished (kind of an old school thriller in the Ludlum vein)
    Erik Larson - The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America (one of the earliest documented serial killer and about the world fair in Chicago), a really interesting vision on a world long gone showing that the olden days were most certainly not better.
    Sørgekåpen (The Camberwell) by Unni Lindell.
    Best Cato Isaksen book I have read thus far.
    my new harvest of books contains 4 Richard Stark Parker novels [two of which are hardcover] 2 Lawrence Block Matthew Scudder novels & 1 Keller novel, 4 Frederick Forsyth novels in hardcover & November man by Bill Granger.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Kinda reliving my youth at the moment. Currently I'm reading the Unauthorised Biography of Roy Of The Rovers but Mick Collins. It's a great trip down memory lane for me.
  • A Good Day To Die by Simon Kernick
    THE CUP, THE BLADE OR THE GUN by Mignon Eberhart (1961)

American novel set during the civil war.