What are you reading?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    I finished A Tale of Two Cities a few days ago. Great novel indeed. Even if takes to long to arrive to the climax, the wait is worth it as the ending is spectacular. The descriptions are beautifully written and the language is very elegant and poetic, but it was sometimes difficult to understand it for me.
    Finally, the parallelism with The Dark Knight Rises is notable, not only on for
    the eulogy by Gordon but also because of the similarities between characters Batman/Carton, Wayne/Darnay, Alfred/Lorry, Madame Defarge/Talia, and recurrent themes such as redemption, resurrection, terror and sacrifice.

That's another classic I will probably read some time in the future. It got spoiled for me years ago, which is a shame, but that's expected as it's one of the world's most revered texts.

That's a shame but even if you know how it ends, it's nevertheless enjoyable because it is more than just a plot, it's a wonderfully written story. In my opinion, the language,how it is said, it's more important than the story, what it is said. Or in classic terms, elocutio over inventio. That is what contemporary literature lacks.

I definitely agree that the kind of writing found in classic literature isn't present in most contemporary literature. Novels/writers of old can move you like you're in a dance with the story by how musically the words are composed and how the story is told, whereas current books by and large are empty of that.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    I finished "Dome" last month and I was glad it was the end : messy, predictable (the very end) and too casual for me. I actually dislike Stephen King...

I'm currently reading a Michael Crichton (who created Jurrasic Park) one called "Prey". It's about nanotechnology used in army's research and development, in a few words ; very engrossing but very technical. I'm close to the end.
    Reading the first Game of Thrones book and The Night Gardener by George Pelecanos.
  • has anyone read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited February 2014 Posts: 45,489
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    I finished A Tale of Two Cities a few days ago. Great novel indeed. Even if takes to long to arrive to the climax, the wait is worth it as the ending is spectacular. The descriptions are beautifully written and the language is very elegant and poetic, but it was sometimes difficult to understand it for me.
    Finally, the parallelism with The Dark Knight Rises is notable, not only on for
    the eulogy by Gordon but also because of the similarities between characters Batman/Carton, Wayne/Darnay, Alfred/Lorry, Madame Defarge/Talia, and recurrent themes such as redemption, resurrection, terror and sacrifice.

That's another classic I will probably read some time in the future. It got spoiled for me years ago, which is a shame, but that's expected as it's one of the world's most revered texts.

That's a shame but even if you know how it ends, it's nevertheless enjoyable because it is more than just a plot, it's a wonderfully written story. In my opinion, the language,how it is said, it's more important than the story, what it is said. Or in classic terms, elocutio over inventio. That is what contemporary literature lacks.

I definitely agree that the kind of writing found in classic literature isn't present in most contemporary literature. Novels/writers of old can move you like you're in a dance with the story by how musically the words are composed and how the story is told, whereas current books by and large are empty of that.

Great story, interesting to note those parallells to TDKR:
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    The new Sherlock Holmes novel by Anthony Horowitz, titled "House of Silk".

Any good?
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Dr_Yes wrote:
    I'm reading <i>In the Best Familes</I>, a Nero Wolfe mystery by Rex Stout.

Any good? Been meaning to try some Stout.
    007InVT wrote:
    The new Sherlock Holmes novel by Anthony Horowitz, titled "House of Silk".

Any good?

Well worth your time, also according to various Sherlock Holmes afficiados.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Great news for fans of the book, I Am Pilgrim! This has been my favorite book to recommend in the past year. So well written and exciting.
    The author, Terry Hayes, has confirmed that 2 sequels with that main character are in the works, as well as his next book (not with Pilgrim). I liked his writing so much, I will definitely be buying these.
    Here is an excerpt from an online interview:

Terry Hayes: Next is a book called “The Year of the Locust” – a REALLY intense thriller. Then I have the outlines for the next two Pilgrim books already done – I did them long before I finished this one so that I knew where I was going. That will complete his epic journey – a sort of Lord of the Rings of the espionage/ thriller genre! At least in its scope, if not in my abilities!

I found the interview online here, on an Australian reviewer's blog: http://readingwritingandriesling.wordpress.com/2013/07/30/in-conversation-with-terry-hayes-2/
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Nearing the end of George R R Martin's immense opus A Song Of Ice & Fire. Five books and many 1000s of pages. Thoroughly enjoyed it though.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Just finished reading 'Three Times Carlin: An Orgy Of George
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Following my post on the previous page, I have since finished Duncan Falconer's The Hostage, and am currently reading The Hijack.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    CATASTROPHE: Europe Goes To War 1914 by Max Hastings (hardback)
    A large tome that takes in the first four months of the First World War in some detail. An absorbing read so far excellently written. Anyone interested in The Great War would do well to check this out.
    RECOMMENDED.
    A large tome that takes in the first four months of the First World War in some detail. An absorbing read so far excellently written. Anyone interested in The Great War would do well to check this out.
    RECOMMENDED.

I just finished Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman which is about the 1st month of the Great War aka WOI, it did win the Pulitzerprize when it was released and is still considered well worth your time. Recommended.

O:-)
  • Just finished "The Maltese Falcon", going on with Ian MacDonald's "Revolution On Their Heads" a song-by-song account of The Beatles' career.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 23,544
    Antimatter
    by Frank Close

tumblr_l6wep3HAto1qav2j9.jpg

I disagree with Michio Kaku's description of particle physics in his best-selling book Hyperspace - particle physics is neither inelegant nor ugly. Instead, particle physics is one of the greatest triumphs of science in general, a game changer for all of us, and also very 'gorgeous'. The more one learns about it, the more one finds truth in Carl Sagan's delicious quote "Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality", especially in the second part.

Frank Close is one of the leading authorities in the field of particle physics and, equally important, popularizing particle physics. Being a teacher myself, I try to learn from the master, learn from his methods of explaining that which at first appears very difficult to comprehend.

But I cannot deny that I take pleasure in reading Close's books anyway. The man has a great sense of humour and manages to put abstract concepts in very comprehensible terms. Omitting most of the underlying mathematical work, his use of metaphors and symbols works the magic. I'm jealous, not just of the man's knowledge, but also of his talents as an instructor.

So, if you like to learn more about antimatter, quarks, neutrinos, the standard model, ... I do strongly recommend you pick up one of Close's books on the subject. 'Antimatter' is a good place to start. It's only about 150 pages long but, I promise, some brainpower will be needed. It's mostly fun and play; but not all. And that's actually a compliment. ;-)
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    The Guns of August was a great read. Yes, I recommend it, too, @SaintMark. Much was made of her opening page, and I do concur that it is beautifully, lyrically written. I found it very absorbing and exciting all the way through, to a fine finish.

Now I want to read more of Carl Sagan, Dimi. :)

I am currently reading Double Cross, by Ben MacIntyre. I thoroughly enjoyed his Operation Mincement and Agent ZigZag. These are all about the covert operations and spies during WWII. Well written and interesting; I recommend all 3. Of the three, I think I rate Operation Mincement most highly. But you can't go wrong reading any of these.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @4EverBonded, Sagan was a wonderful writer. I believe that his most recommendable work is The Deamon-Haunted World, in which he rather blatantly attacks pseudoscience in all its facets. It's insightful and occasionally astounding. Even if he responds very sarcastically to a lot of pseudoscientific trends in our modern society, he never comes off as insulting towards believers of any pseudoscientific discipline. I think it's fair to say that Sagan attacks the concept more than its followers. It's possibly my favourite book of his, an eye-opener on all accounts.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    We all know the Bond connection to 'Operation Mincement', so that alone makes it a must read.
    Ah, @DarthDimi, I will get that book. Thanks very much! I do want to read Sagan.
    @Samuel001, you are right! And without the Bond connection, it is still excellent and exciting. You get to know some of the people involved in this huge, massive, hard to really imagine espionage undertaking that was to clear the way for a successful D Day landing (which was critically important, as we all know). I love reading about history, but especially when the author makes it come alive like this one does.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    We all know the Bond connection to 'Operation Mincement', so that alone makes it a must read.

Would you believe I just bought that book at the annual sale of the Central Bookhouse in the MECC in Maastricht. It is on my reading list currently....

Great! Let us know if you enjoy it.
    The TV programme made from the book a few years ago is also well worth watching.
    How can I see that? Was it on BBC?
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Yes. It was first shown in December 2010. One hour in length.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8184158/Operation-Mincemeat-BBC-Two-review.html
    Thanks; I'll have to try to find a way to see it. I'd really like to.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    SaintMark wrote:
    RECOMMENDED.

I just finished Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman which is about the 1st month of the Great War aka WOI, it did win the Pulitzerprize when it was released and is still considered well worth your time. Recommended.

O:-)

Thanks, I'll check that out…after I've waded through the mountain of books on my bedside table!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I'm still making my way through the Game Of Thrones series by George R R Martin. I'm currently reading The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton, last year's Man Booker Prize. I'm still right at the start but I really enjoy the way it is written, her prose has some sort of rythm and poetry.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Finished Duncan Falconer's The Hijack earlier today. I liked this one a little more than The Hostage.

The 'Stratton' Series
    1. The Hijack (2004)
    2. The Hostage (2003)

Next: The Operative
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Sandy wrote:
    I'm still making my way through the Game Of Thrones series by George R R Martin.
    Just finished this series Sandy. I'm bereft. Reportedly book 6 is due sometime in the next 12 months, and the final book sometime in the next 100 years.