Is 'Tomorrow Never Dies' the most formulaic Bond film?

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i never bought the sexual attraction between the two... it really came off as forced at the end of the movie.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    JB700: Hey Wai-Lin, you won't believe what happened to me.

WLSaigon: Oh? What happened?

JB700: Get this, I surfed a glacier! LOL

WLSaigon: Oh James. LOL!

You-So-Funny-Tell-Snickers-Cat-More.jpg
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I don't believe your Western propaganda, you corrupt, decadent Spy. :D
    I don't believe your Western propaganda, you corrupt, decadent Spy. :D
    The right, Western decadent spy.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I like TND, it has slowly worked it's way up my list. With that said I can't help wondering what it would have been like with Anthony Hopkins as Carver and Monica Bellucci as Paris.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    talos7 wrote: »
    I like TND, it has slowly worked it's way up my list. With that said I can't help wondering what it would have been like with Anthony Hopkins as Carver and Monica Bellucci as Paris.

i thought Anthony Hopkins was supposed to be in GE - the Alec Trevelyan role.
    It's possible, that's a long time ago ;)
    We may both be right; I found this:

The role of Elliot Carver was initially offered to Anthony Hopkins (who also had been offered a role in GoldenEye), but he declined in favor of The Mask of Zorro
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    TND may be formulaic (and it is a real favorite of mine), but so are many others.
    I'd say one of the most formulaic is TSWLM, which is in my top 5. :)
    I'm actually totally pleased with the film and the ONLY thing I'd change is Teri. I love that movie. It's my favorite Brosnan Bond film, just edging Goldeneye (which has the most splendid main Bond girl).
    I'm actually totally pleased with the film and the ONLY thing I'd change is Teri. I love that movie. It's my favorite Brosnan Bond film, just edging Goldeneye
    We are of a kind, you and I.
    B-)
    ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    HASEROT wrote: »
    i never bought the sexual attraction between the two... it really came off as forced at the end of the movie.
    I agree with you. This was the weak point to me, along with locations and cinematography, but then TND was really all about action set pieces. Everything else was given lip service, so to speak, imho, including fight choreography. In the action set piece area, I think it succeeded.
    bondjames wrote: »
    HASEROT wrote: »
    I agree with you. This was the weak point to me, along with locations and cinematography, but then TND was really all about action set pieces. Everything else was given lip service, so to speak, imho, including fight choreography. In the action set piece area, I think it succeeded.
    I'm happy with EVERYTHING working well rather than some things working perfectly and others dismally. TND is a smooth cinematic ride with no bumps.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    TND is a cinematic cheeseburger, It's delicious. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's certainly very entertaining and fast paced. Much better executed in that respect compared to the latest effort. It has grown in my estimation on account of SP, which tried to do the same thing in my view, but didn't pull the 'canned formula' off as well.
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's certainly very entertaining and fast paced. Much better executed in that respect compared to the latest effort. It has grown in my estimation on account of SP, which tried to do the same thing in my view, but didn't pull the 'canned formula' off as well.
    Yes, SP is like a slightly paler version of TND. But what they have in common is awesome performances by the stars. That alone makes them my faves.
    And I like Pierce's gun. So there. ;)
    A PPK early on.
    :D
    I'm so sure I will remember that, @chrisisall.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    A PPK early on.

And later a P99. Sadly I can't own either in California.
    A PPK early on.

Criminal record? :-?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 3,000
    A PPK early on.

Criminal record? :-?

Haha! No. Neither of those guns are on the CA approved roster of handguns (for new sales). If I looked hard enough I could probably find an old used PPK, but those go for $1000 and up in good shape.
    How about a samurai sword? ;)
    How about a samurai sword? ;)

:)) Good one!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Good to see love for a movie that in almost 20 years never left my Top 10, up to 2006 it was in my Top 5 even.

Top 5 in 2006:
    GE
    TLD
    OHMSS
    TND
    CR

TND confirmed that Brosnan was the right choice.
    EON played it safe and gave the people what they wanted.
    It may be formulaic but that what people love about Bond, you know what you get.
    To throw in something unusual like LTK, QOS or SF every now or then works only because people know they'll get a typical Bond movie again, hence SP's phenomenal success at the BO.

• It's definitely the most unremarkable I think. It's probably no one's absolute favourite or absolute least favourite. Like FYEO.
    It's definitely the most unremarkable I think. It's probably no one's absolute favourite or absolute least favourite. Like FYEO.

I'm literally the only person on this site that says it's their favorite Bond film. I've found no one else.
  • It's definitely the most unremarkable I think. It's probably no one's absolute favourite or absolute least favourite. Like FYEO.

I'm literally the only person on this site that says it's their favorite Bond film. I've found no one else.

There you go.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Just watched it again. It's a blast. A box ticker sure, but who cares? Why does that have to be a bad thing. Just sit back and enjoy the ride and have some popcorn with extra butter. It's going to be fun. :D
This discussion has been closed.