The Nadir of the Bond Franchise?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @bondjames, which demonstrates once again that money is all that matters to the execs. Sad.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Personally speaking, in my Bond fandom experience, it was 2002. The combined disappointments of TWINE and DAD had me questioning the future of the franchise.

You could certainly make a case for 1974, with all the turnover in the lead role and then Harry leaving. Some members feel that Hamilton's Trilogy was the worst? Well, I'd have to disagree with that sentiment but I can certainly acknowledge the flaws of those particular films.

The most uncertain time had to be after LTK was released in 1989. Bond's popularity had already been in decline for a few years and then we had the six year gap on top of it. I didn't doubt that Bond would be back but some people certainly did.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Birdleson wrote: »
    For me the nadir would be either the '80s or the '90s. Basically '79 - '02.

You realise that's 10 movies out of 24 :-?
    I wouldn't have made @Birdleson's pick myself, as I consider FYEO, TLD and GE among the very best of the Bonds. But knowing @Bridleson, he will have good reasons for making this choice, @BondJasonBond007. :-)
    There have been times when I have thought oops that didn't really work terribly well, the overt humour of MR, the Leathal Weapon stylings of LTK but I never thought of them as a nadir just a bad mis-step along the way. But watching Bond kite surfing a CGI tsumani in DAD was the worst moment I ever witnessed in the whole of Bond. That's the nadir of the franchise for me. And I am a Brosnan fan and felt so sorry for him at that point
    First of all, a very interesting question by @ForYourEyesOnly.

I feel it's one I can only answer from personal experience. Being in my early forties, I only became 'aware' of the franchise during the Dalton-era. I've experienced several nadirs.

The first one was the long hiatus between LTK and GE. Those six years seemed so long, that I often dreaded the franchise had ended with LTK.

The second was DAD. I really felt the franchise had 'betrayed' (maybe a strong word, but it's how I felt at the time) its origins. With Bourne popping up, and True Lies as a clear but very entertaining spoof, I feared Bond had dwelled into a cul-de-sac.

After SP, I'm somewhat doubtful on the future of Bond. I wouldn't call it a true nadir, but still ... The producers and script writers have made the stories in the Craig-era one whole. In a sense, that creates a nice multi-layered story. In another sense, it increases the difficulty to return to the Bond of old, when the episodes didn't interlock that strongly. I appreciate we are all fans here, having seen all Bonds multiple times, but I wonder how the occasional audience will react to the next Bond-movie that completely stands on its own. It's been 10 years since CR - that's an entire generation that maybe grew up with Bond, thinking the franchise exists of interlocking stories. Even if Craig and Waltz return for Bond 25, the movie-interlocking can't continue for that much longer.

At least, I hope it won't. The strength of Bond has always been that you can step into the franchise with (almost) any movie.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 1,817
    Hamilton's second run was definitely the nadir of the franchise. They are all just very awkward films to watch today. The films just suffer from poor direction.
    Yeah I don't think DAF. LALD and TMWTGG have aged well.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Apart from Goldfinger, I don't think Hamilton did Bond justice.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,984
    I'm glad that this thread has promoted a lot of discussion, without reaching the domain of flamewars.

Again, I can't comment from memory because I only went into Bond in 1995, and I went into GoldenEye fresh - I hadn't seen the Bonds before then, and the whole six year-gap thing never came off as life-threatening to the franchise to me, nor did GE seem like a death-defying stunt, merely a huge success.

If I had to comment based on what I can predict, it's the 70's and 90's for me when it comes to creative thinking, the 80's for financial. I don't think much has to be said about the latter - most of the 80's Bond films were some of the lowest-grossing Bond films ever, and I believe they claim 3 or 4 of the bottom 5 when it comes to worldwide inflated gross. FYEO was the best in the decade, much better than the others, and yet only makes it to about halfway of the ranking.

From a creative perspective, I can't decide between the 70's and 90's - the former was piggybacking hard off the cultural trends of the time (blaxpoitation, martial arts, solar energy, sci-fi, etc.) while the 90's sorely felt the lack of Albert R. Broccoli's presence, and they kept relying on the (at the time, "tried and true") Bond formula, and it didn't fail them commercially, but you could feel the creative strain as they began ripping off the headlines of the day rather than making creative stories. And DAD was an absolute mess indeed.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited April 2016 Posts: 6,793
    bondjames wrote: »
    I can only speak personally, but for me, the nadir from a quality perspective was definitely the period from 1999 to 2002. I would also include 1997 into that with qualification.

The reason being, after GE, I noticed that the producers appeared not to have a clue how to make a 'real' Bond film. They were including all the tropes (perhaps even overemphasizing them) no doubt, but Bond was quickly becoming a caricature of itself.

To me, it was almost like the studio had decided to self parody.
    It was somewhat noticeable during TND, but only because of how reminiscent that film was of the past (like SP). However, it is only with TWINE and DAD that I realized they had completely lost the plot.

You can say exactly the same thing about 71-85. What can be more auto-parody than the Bondola, the Moon Buggy or the Beach Boys? Don't you feel James was a caricature when he disguised himself as a clown? Or when he wore a poncho?

For all its faults, I don't think it's fair to say that the Brosnan era was the absolute nadir because Bond became a spoof of himself. The whole Moore era was basically one big pastiche.
    I'm glad that this thread has promoted a lot of discussion, without reaching the domain of flamewars.

Again, I can't comment from memory because I only went into Bond in 1995, and I went into GoldenEye fresh - I hadn't seen the Bonds before then, and the whole six year-gap thing never came off as life-threatening to the franchise to me, nor did GE seem like a death-defying stunt, merely a huge success.

If I had to comment based on what I can predict, it's the 70's and 90's for me when it comes to creative thinking, the 80's for financial. I don't think much has to be said about the latter - most of the 80's Bond films were some of the lowest-grossing Bond films ever, and I believe they claim 3 or 4 of the bottom 5 when it comes to worldwide inflated gross. FYEO was the best in the decade, much better than the others, and yet only makes it to about halfway of the ranking.

From a creative perspective, I can't decide between the 70's and 90's - the former was piggybacking hard off the cultural trends of the time (blaxpoitation, martial arts, solar energy, sci-fi, etc.) while the 90's sorely felt the lack of Albert R. Broccoli's presence, and they kept relying on the (at the time, "tried and true") Bond formula, and it didn't fail them commercially, but you could feel the creative strain as they began ripping off the headlines of the day rather than making creative stories. And DAD was an absolute mess indeed.

The 80s Bond films also have to be taken in the context that movie grosses were lower generally as well.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    tanaka123 wrote: »

The 80s Bond films also have to be taken in the context that movie grosses were lower generally as well.

Yes, the Bond movies in the 80's did well. If you look at yearly worldwide lists James Bond always is amongst the most successful movies of each year. Even LTK.
    A "flop" or "failure" James Bond is simply a myth.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    @Tanak123 - That's true. FYEO was second only to Raiders of the Lost Ark and OP was second only to Return of the Jedi, but the rest of them simply weren't as successful. Blockbusters all the same, but not as successful. But if we talk about comparing to the competition, I'd say the 80's wasn't bad, but might still end up at the bottom of the pile.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I can only speak personally, but for me, the nadir from a quality perspective was definitely the period from 1999 to 2002. I would also include 1997 into that with qualification.

The reason being, after GE, I noticed that the producers appeared not to have a clue how to make a 'real' Bond film. They were including all the tropes (perhaps even overemphasizing them) no doubt, but Bond was quickly becoming a caricature of itself.

You can say exactly the same thing about 71-85.
    No, I can not.
    Don't you feel James was a caricature when he disguised himself as a clown? Or when he wore a poncho?
    No, I don't feel that way at all. That was humour, which you can choose to enjoy or not. That is not the same thing as making a fool of the James Bond character himself by appearing to overemphasize his personal characteristics, tropes and tics ('Bond, James Bond' overdone, 'Omega watch gadgets' overdone, 'car gadgets' overdone, 'fancy suits' overdone, 'Bond theme' overdone, 'quips overdone and poorly', etc. etc.) at the expense of tension. Additionally, they were increasingly explosion and machine gun filled action fests rather than thrillers. This trend continued with each succeeding film during that era. Like they were doubling down. That's a far cry from Bond being put into humorous situations from time to time, or a little comic relief with the Beach Boys or gondola, which is what happened during the Moore/latter Connery periods. Moreover, they always corrected during that earlier period with another film which toned back. My view of course.
    For all its faults, I don't think it's fair to say that the Brosnan era was the absolute nadir because Bond became a spoof of himself.
    I was referring to the period from 1999 to 2002 in particular which was an absolute calamity as far as I was concerned. Those weren't Bond films to me. Rather, they were parodies of Bond films (as explained above). Disgraces to the franchise made by people obviously getting their feet wet and who didn't have confidence in the Bond character post-cold war. Having said that, I do enjoy DAD for what it is, but not TWINE.

You'll note that my comments above did not reference Brosnan himself as being the problem but rather the producers. That is where my criticisms were directed previously. In fact, Brosnan (through his demeanor and performance in GE) did as much as anyone to save the franchise commercially, as I noted above. Your comments could seem to suggest that I'm blaming that time on Brosnan and I want to clarify that's not the case. It's not that simple and my arguments on that front are a bit more finessed. I blame him for his horrendous emotional acting in TWINE, but not for the quality of his last few films. That is firmly the producer's fault.
    The Brosnan era may be the nadir of the franchise for some. For others it's the Dalton era.

But I believe the thread aims at discussing where the nadir of the franchise is, objectively speaking.
    This rules the Brosnan era automatically out as GE is one of the few absolute fan favourites.

Not sure if the same can be said about TLD, if not, then the Dalton era would qualify sooner for being the nadir of the series.

I can see that TWINE-DAD could be seen as a low point. I was hugely disappointed in TWINE back then and it's near the bottom in my ranking.

Still, DAF to TMWTGG seems to be the one period of time in the franchise when it hit low after low in many regards. It was certainly a Godsend to have Roger Moore in two of those three movies.
    And after TMWTGG it was clear to everyone, that EON has to do something.
    After DAD the situation was very different. It had just broken ticket sales records and BO records and was regarded by many critics as at least a good movie back then.
    The Brosnan era may be the nadir of the franchise for some. For others it's the Dalton era.

But I believe the thread aims at discussing where the nadir of the franchise is, objectively speaking.
    This rules the Brosnan era automatically out as GE is one of the few absolute fan favourites.

Not sure if the same can be said about TLD, if not, then the Dalton era would qualify sooner for being the nadir of the series.

I can see that TWINE-DAD could be seen as a low point. I was hugely disappointed in TWINE back then and it's near the bottom in my ranking.

Still, DAF to TMWTGG seems to be the one period of time in the franchise when it hit low after low in many regards. It was certainly a Godsend to have Roger Moore in two of those three movies.
    After DAD the situation was very different. It had just broken ticket sales records and BO records and was regarded by many critics as at least a good movie back then.

Yeah I was very surprised when I recently read Roger Ebert's review of Die Another Day, he thought it was great.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @BondJasonBond006, if we're talking about box office, keep in mind that LALD, to this day, is one of the most successful Bond films of all time.
    Yeah I was very surprised when I recently read Roger Ebert's review of Die Another Day, he thought it was great.
    That's probably because it followed TWINE. Heck, even I thought it was far better than TWINE, and still do.
    @BondJasonBond006, if we're talking about box office, keep in mind that LALD, to this day, is one of the most successful Bond films of all time.
    That's probably because it followed TWINE. Heck, even I thought it was far better than TWINE, and still do.

No DAD is far worse than TWINE.
    I'm with @bondjames. TWINE sucked the fun out of the series; DAD was, at least in some parts, somewhat pleasant to watch.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Roger Ebert liked TWINE too:
    "The World Is Not Enough" is a splendid comic thriller, exciting and graceful, endlessly inventive.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited April 2016 Posts: 45,489
    This Roger Rabbit person seems to be quoted a lot, and I wonder why?
    Roger Ebert liked TWINE too:
    "The World Is Not Enough" is a splendid comic thriller, exciting and graceful, endlessly inventive.

And he is right.
    Even if I have TWINE near the bottom it's still clearly one of the very best movies of 1999.
    The same applies to each and every Bond movie in its running year.

It's not the same to talk about the franchise only or to put it into perspective with other movies.

Quite a lot of people did back in the day - even some more hardcore fans.
    BAIN123 wrote: »

It surprises me - I thought it was horrid - to the point where between 2002 and 2006 I wasn't really bothered about Bond any more. I enjoy it now and think it benefits from rewatches where you can enjoy it for what it is. It's still the worst entry in the series though. Just glad they didn't go through with the Jinx spin off series.

It surprises me - I thought it was horrid - to the point where between 2002 and 2006 I wasn't really bothered about Bond any more. I enjoy it now and think it benefits from rewatches where you can enjoy it for what it is. It's still the worst entry in the series though. Just glad they didn't go through with the Jinx spin off series.

God, I remember them talking about that too.

I have to admit I thought it was decent enough back in 2002, though even then I knew the effects were rubbish. That was the main criticism of the film.
    Regardless of the general views on Die Another Day, I do still enjoy it and it's definitely in the middle of my list of Bond rankings. I too think The World Is Not Enough was by far worse than its successor, as I think A View To A Kill was worse than Moonraker. And I love Moonraker.
    Regardless of the general views on Die Another Day, I do still enjoy it and it's definitely in the middle of my list of Bond rankings. I too think The World Is Not Enough was by far worse than its successor, as I think A View To A Kill was worse than Moonraker. And I love Moonraker.

I think View is worse than MR too. At least MR is visually impressive and doesn't feel lazy.

I think View is worse than MR too. At least MR is visually impressive and doesn't feel lazy.
    Of course.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 11,189

Of course.

I'm being hard on View because it does have some nice cinematography occasionally. However, the film feels very bland and uninspired. It gives us nothing new. At least Brosnan's films tried (albeit relatively unsuccessfully) to explore new ideas and promoted these ideas. View doesn't really do that.