Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Milovy, I agree. It's not sexy in the "beautiful" sense of the word. I don't think it was meant to be. We are witnessing something going on between those two; we may not like it very much, but the film is telling us they're building towards something. Knowing it never leads to any resentment or emotional pain, but instead congeals into something that, at least according to BR2049, will become beautiful, if only for a while, makes me far less comfortable than I might otherwise be. :)
    The fact that we the audience feel human emotions and empathy towards repliicants is at the core moral dilema of the movie
    As soon as we start feeling sorry for rachael re deckards sexual advances the movie has worked
    It proves the point (using the viewer as the gunea pig) that the future is going to be complex for us and we have yet to work out how to applie existing morals to sythetic humans
    Bladerunner is not the only movie with these theme but it did it so so well
    Can you rape a "skin job"? Its at the heart of the movie but to forget she is not human and treat the scene as if its a scene between a man and a woman is missing what the movie is really about IMHO
    It really is a fabulous film
    That is something to think about @patb. Personally, I don't find it hard to feel emotions and empathy towards replicants, they look and act pretty much exactly like humans. I would find it hard not to have normal emotions towards replicants. Are they just the same as humans? For all I care, yes. They were just made differently. This isn't me missing the dilemma of replicants vs. humans, but rather deciding for myself that replicants deserve all the same rights and freedoms as humans. Of course, other BR fans might disagree.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    We covered if there were any of us that hated the sequel; is there anyone that is confident in saying they prefer it to the original?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Milovy wrote: »
    That is something to think about @patb. Personally, I don't find it hard to feel emotions and empathy towards replicants, they look and act pretty much exactly like humans. I would find it hard not to have normal emotions towards replicants. Are they just the same as humans? For all I care, yes. They were just made differently. This isn't me missing the dilemma of replicants vs. humans, but rather deciding for myself that replicants deserve all the same rights and freedoms as humans. Of course, other BR fans might disagree.
    I love my classic car. It's 28 years old and counting. If something were to happen to it, I'd be quite upset. Not 'John Wick upset', but still rather peeved. So I can appreciate that Deckard felt something for a replicant. Yes, the question of affording rights and freedoms to these devices is an important one. What about Joi? Did she deserve the same rights, as an AI 'device' which gave another replicant comfort and solace? This is a question we will likely have to grapple with in the future.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    We covered if there were any of us that hated the sequel; is there anyone that is confident in saying they prefer it to the original?
    I really enjoyed the sequel but I like the brevity, aesthetic, grittiness, and dynamic performances of the original. They are quite different and both great films, but I much prefer the original.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Well, my take on this is pretty well known I think.
    Trying to see it objectively (SO difficult for me) I can see how one might consider the sequel as superiour... it does surprisingly expand the Blade Runner 'Verse and raises even more questions about the nature of 'Humanity'. But having both so recently nearly back to back the first (no matter the version you prefer) just has a film texture and and effects style and grittiness to the wet landscape that cannot be duplicated today... and of course no one beats Rutger Hauer's Batty as a force of (unnatural) nature.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 676
    You've nailed it @chrisisall. The new BR offers more to chew on story-wise (not sure it does theme-wise), but it can't beat the original's visual and aural texture. And no character in the new one is nearly as compelling as Batty.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 5,767
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It's uncomfortable and yet it isn't. The scene reflects Deckard's confusion. He has fallen in love with someone he'd normally describe as 'something' ("How can it not know what it is?"). Maybe he wants to press the issue to the extreme by forcing Rachael into a moment of love, if only to see how real she can be. Maybe his own attitude towards love comes with a lot of pain and confusion--who knows what Deckard himself has been through.

Perhaps this is nothing more than a remnant of the old 'film noir' epics of the 40s, in which it wasn't uncommon for the man to slap his dame back into the present after an outburst of hysteria or a bit of deception she played on him. Male sexual dominance in films, even when portrayed with a bit of aggression, used to be perfectly acceptable and, indeed, even desirable. Though BLADE RUNNER isn't without its own share of misogyny, much of that could simply be a leftover from the old days. Let's not forget that James Bond too has slept with women who he had first hit or forced himself upon.

When the aforementioned scene in BLADE RUNNER unspools, I'm never put off by it. Sex doesn't always come with candles, roses and an 'Unchained Melody' over a bit of pottery. Sometimes people get a little rougher, and very often that is the perfect recipe for some quality time. Deckard tried things the nice way; that failed. And he wants some. And he wants it from her, or 'it'. When he makes her repeat his words, there's actually something tender and sweet going on between them. You can see Rachael turning. In this age of politically correct everything, it may be hard to accept this, but sex is still a game of physical annexation, even when consented, no matter how romantic, regardless of who wants it most. The scene may lean a little bit towards the 'yuck', but there's a definitive 'yeah' in there towards the end. I don't see rape; but I do see Rachael making Deckard work for it. I never question the love between them though.
    Well said!
    Agree with previous comments
    Imagine the original without Batty
    He really does add a tremendous amount to the film
    He makes the original far more accessible by letting us see and hear what's its like to live his life and the life of his friends and his lover.
    And for me its the drama and contrast that he brought to the origiinal that is lacking.
    Plus he gave us the opportunity to switch sides and realise who the bad guys were
    This point is different for all viewers but the fact that its there is another reason for me that its a better film
    Its unfair to compare the new one to the original as the original is just something very very special but the makers knew they were setting themselves up for this comparison
    They have done very well to even get close IMHO
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I think the original is a masterpeice and one of the most influential films of the last 50 years but I don't love it like some other films, I prefer Alien when it comes to Ridley.

So I have no problem saying I prefer BR 2049 to BR, I'm sure it will be sacrelidge to some but it just satisfies me more and can see myself watching it more regularly than the original and bar Hauer the acting is quite considerably better in it.

I am still quite astounded how good it is and it can stand on it's own quite confidently. The best blockbuster in decades loved it.

The score isn't on a par quite considerably with the original but after that I can't think of anything else.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    So I have no problem saying I prefer BR 2049 to BR, I'm sure it will be sacrilege to some
    No, not at all. When I saw The Arrival I realized this director was something special in the industry. So 2049 is probably one of the best BIG sci-fi moves of this millennia. I just kind of wish they'd tied up some of the loose ends seeing as this one probably won't get a sequel.

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    All things considered, I still prefer the original. The original had Rutger Hauer. Checkmate.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    BR2049 was originally called Blade Runner: Androids Dream:

http://www.slashfilm.com/blade-runner-2049-alternate-title/
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm glad they didnt try to top Rutger's Batty. That would have inevitably resulted in unflattering comparisons imho, due to the high esteem that the original is held. They smartly realized that they shouldn't go there, and rather gave us a different kind of villain this time out and a slightly different aesthetic experience as well. It makes for a better double viewing experience.
    @bondjames You think Batty was the villain?
    patb wrote: »
    @bondjames You think Batty was the villain?
    I used the wrong word.The good and bad were not so clearly defined in the first film. Perhaps I should have said antagonist, and let's just say he was the character who creeped me out the most when I first saw the film as a kid.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 4,043
    I think you could watch the original and look at Deckard as the villain and Batty as the hero, lets be honest Roy may have been a replicant but he was more alive than Ricky ever was.

Roy was genuine and pure whereas Deckard is working for the man and taking orders.

I know I said I prefer 2049 but it's marginal, the original is a stunning achievement and film makers I'm a big fan of like Nolan and Fincher owe it a great debt.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    patricide.jpg

Way ahead of Hinx.
    patricide.jpg

Way ahead of Hinx.

If Mendes wasn't influenced by this I'll be very surprised.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Of course he was. He probably watched this as a teen.
    Of course he was. He probably watched this as a teen.

Pity his tribute wasn't worthy of it isn't it?

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Okay I haven't visited this thread in maybe a week because of spoilers, but I am back now because I have gotten around to seeing the film that only 3 weeks prior to watching, I became super excited to see, as I watched the original and loved it. I found the original to be creative with every scene being entertaining and unique, showing the audience something incredible. I like the themes and the story as well. Now I have read the past few pages and it seems that this new one has had an overwhelmingly positive response from all of you. Now I am not sure if I understand that. I found the film very average. The cinematography was excellent, the film looks amazing (the best looking film I have seen in a long time) and there are scenes in the film, like the first, and the one with the replicant being born, that are amazing scenes, on par with the first film. Then they are a lot of long scenes that I feel didn't show me wonders like first film. Not to mention its so much longer then the first but yet has so much less to say. I was unsatisfied with Jared Letos character who feels like he did nothing. I felt like there was nothing to be gleamed from this look at the blade runner universe, they didn't really explore anything new. They tried with the whole pregnancy thing but again, I didn't feel it went anywhere. It almost feels like this film is part 1 of a 2 part story. Ford doesn't do anything. I didn't dislike it, I was entertained at least partially but it was disappointing. I will revisit it and give it a second chance but I'm really not sure about it right now.

5/10
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 386
    By the gods, what an excellent movie.

Makes me want DV to direct Dune next, not Bond.

A couple of minor obs -

- The female actors in this film are incredible

- Any director who can coax a tic-less performance from grumpy old Ford these days is one hell of an operator

- Jared Leto is overrated in just about everything he does

- I cried

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    This is an excellent and beautifully made film. It emulates (very well I might add) the original Blade Runner's futurescape, but never surpasses Ridley's groundbreaking original vision. It doesn't have the surprise the original sprang on it's audience all those years ago and it doesn't have Roy Batty.

This is the sort of film cinema was made for. It looks incredible, and I can't remember the last time I was in awe of what I was seeing when watching a film. Being so sick of CGI heavy stuff lately this is such a different experience. As an audience Villeneuve lets us savour the incredible world he has created by keeping the shots long and allowing us to see the detail. Loved the score as well.

I liked the fact that 'K' was revealed early on as to who he was and Gosling is just brilliant. I also loved the character of Luv. With her offworldly looks and deadly force she is one of my favourite things in the film. The only weak spot in terms of actors was Jared Leto, who admittedly didn't have the best written part. Tyrell he was not.

I found the plot pretty cool, but a little contrived. At least it's a logical continuation of the original and not just a rehash.

Not sure if I missed something (I think another viewing is essential) but the LA Police department seemed to consist of Robin Wright, Ryan Gosling and a couple of officers.

And how can Wallace have the Chief of Police murdered with no comeback?

Looking forward to seeing it again, and will definitely be buying the BD. No doubt one of the best films of the year and one I think will reward multiple viewings.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    - Any director who can coax a tic-less performance from grumpy old Ford these days is one hell of an operator
    Haha, couldn´t have said it better :-))!

And how can Wallace have the Chief of Police murdered with no comeback?
    I´m sure if there were the possibility of a further sequel, the intro text would among other things be about the consquences of that murder, but as it is, I think there didn´t pass much time between that murder and the finale of the film.

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    bondjames wrote: »
    Did anyone not like the film? It seems to be a unanimous positive response here, even if some question whether it's a worthy successor.

I really didn't care for the movie.

Probably there's a bit of bias on my part going in though, because I tend not to like big messianic epics that take big themes and spell them out very clearly. And I especially don't like when sequels add this tone to a universe where it didn't exist as much. This movie felt like it was pretty far up its own *** in terms of self-importance. They retcon motivations into the first movie (Rachael was programmed as part of a villain's plot, Deckard's even more special than the events of the first film made him out to be) and give motivations to Gosling that are either the result of incredible coincidence or more "Chosen One"-style nonsense. That tone even nicks my appreciation of some of the design: Jared Leto's over-the-top abode was as insufferable as he was. Why would that room exist?

And why is the film 163 minutes long? I like long movies, but they need to justify their length. Watching K slowly approach that furnace thing, slowly open it, slowly take out the bag, slowly remove the bag's contents, and slowly check the date on the wooden horse that the audience already knew was there smacks of self-indulgence. There's no reason for that scene to be constructed that way. They could have made it twice as long, or half as long, and it would make no difference whatsoever. I don't feel that they're respecting the audience here.

And there are worse ways the film disrespects the audience, specifically, the audience's intelligence. Apart from very frequent references to "slaves" and "angels" spelling out the themes, and hamfisted discussion of souls, and being "born, not made", you have little annoyances. The one that irritated me the most was when K was looking at the DNA, and Joi (ugh) comments that humans are just made up of four things, but she's only made up of two. And then she explains, for the idiots, "ones and zeroes". Please, movie, give me a tiny bit of credit here. By the way, naming the protagonist "K" at all, ("Hey, you guys like Kafka? Look what we did here!")

Oh, and not long after Deckard explains that "Sometimes, in order to love someone, you have to be a stranger," Luv kills Joi! Groan!

Some of that may sound nitpicky, but it just underscores that disrespect for the audience. Less nitpicky would be to point out how obnoxious it is to leave an *obvious* red herring (K might be Deckard's son!) floating around for like an hour.

Other observations:

The film seems to take place in one of those rare dystopias with virtually no security whatsoever. Waltzing into the police station and murdering a lieutenant seems to be a trivial matter. For the two most hunted guys in the universe to waltz into the facility where the dream maker works seems pretty easy too.

Why does Wallace want replicants to reproduce? I mean, okay, there's the prestige of having accomplished that, but does he feel that his current method of producing millions of replicants just how he likes them is too fast and efficient? Is he tired of making money by selling replicants, and would prefer that millions of free ones just get produced?

Maybe it's just me, but Joi's AI seemed radically underdeveloped in comparison to that of K, and it's hard for me to really see that relationship making sense. And just the idea of selling a romantic partner that's completely non-physical, in a world with millions of replicants, seems like an odd thing to do generally. By the way, when K makes a choice after seeing the ad for his now-dead girlfriend, is he just stupid? Or does he react to seeing her artificiality laid bare for the sake of the audience, who the filmmakers clearly believe to be stupid?

How the hell did Wallace perfectly copy Rachael but then get the eye color wrong? Whether or not Deckard didn't go along purely because of that, just how could you make that mistake? Did they make her from scratch, and just neglect to check that part? Totally bizarre.

"Well, K is hurt, so we'll just leave him over there and then go complete our evil master--oh ****! It's K!"

Obviously I could keep going, but you get the general idea. ;-)

Anyway, to be a bit positive, the film obviously looked absolutely stunning, and the performances were generally pretty good all around, particularly Harrison Ford, who I thought was stunning the bar conversation scene, and Dave Bautista, who's clearly a much more impressive actor than I thought he was. I'll take special care to check out movies he shows up in!

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »
    Did anyone not like the film? It seems to be a unanimous positive response here, even if some question whether it's a worthy successor.

Probably there's a bit of bias on my part going in though, because I tend not to like big messianic epics that take big themes and spell them out very clearly. And I especially don't like when sequels add this tone to a universe where it didn't exist as much. This movie felt like it was pretty far up its own *** in terms of self-importance. They retcon motivations into the first movie (Rachael was programmed as part of a villain's plot, Deckard's even more special than the events of the first film made him out to be) and give motivations to Gosling that are either the result of incredible coincidence or more "Chosen One"-style nonsense. That tone even nicks my appreciation of some of the design: Jared Leto's over-the-top abode was as insufferable as he was. Why would that room exist?

And why is the film 163 minutes long? I like long movies, but they need to justify their length. Watching K slowly approach that furnace thing, slowly open it, slowly take out the bag, slowly remove the bag's contents, and slowly check the date on the wooden horse that the audience already knew was there smacks of self-indulgence. There's no reason for that scene to be constructed that way. They could have made it twice as long, or half as long, and it would make no difference whatsoever. I don't feel that they're respecting the audience here.

And there are worse ways the film disrespects the audience, specifically, the audience's intelligence. Apart from very frequent references to "slaves" and "angels" spelling out the themes, and hamfisted discussion of souls, and being "born, not made", you have little annoyances. The one that irritated me the most was when K was looking at the DNA, and Joi (ugh) comments that humans are just made up of four things, but she's only made up of two. And then she explains, for the idiots, "ones and zeroes". Please, movie, give me a tiny bit of credit here. By the way, naming the protagonist "K" at all, ("Hey, you guys like Kafka? Look what we did here!")

Oh, and not long after Deckard explains that "Sometimes, in order to love someone, you have to be a stranger," Luv kills Joi! Groan!

Some of that may sound nitpicky, but it just underscores that disrespect for the audience. Less nitpicky would be to point out how obnoxious it is to leave an *obvious* red herring (K might be Deckard's son!) floating around for like an hour.

Other observations:

The film seems to take place in one of those rare dystopias with virtually no security whatsoever. Waltzing into the police station and murdering a lieutenant seems to be a trivial matter. For the two most hunted guys in the universe to waltz into the facility where the dream maker works seems pretty easy too.

Why does Wallace want replicants to reproduce? I mean, okay, there's the prestige of having accomplished that, but does he feel that his current method of producing millions of replicants just how he likes them is too fast and efficient? Is he tired of making money by selling replicants, and would prefer that millions of free ones just get produced?

Maybe it's just me, but Joi's AI seemed radically underdeveloped in comparison to that of K, and it's hard for me to really see that relationship making sense. And just the idea of selling a romantic partner that's completely non-physical, in a world with millions of replicants, seems like an odd thing to do generally. By the way, when K makes a choice after seeing the ad for his now-dead girlfriend, is he just stupid? Or does he react to seeing her artificiality laid bare for the sake of the audience, who the filmmakers clearly believe to be stupid?

How the hell did Wallace perfectly copy Rachael but then get the eye color wrong? Whether or not Deckard didn't go along purely because of that, just how could you make that mistake? Did they make her from scratch, and just neglect to check that part? Totally bizarre.

"Well, K is hurt, so we'll just leave him over there and then go complete our evil master--oh ****! It's K!"

Anyway, to be a bit positive, the film obviously looked absolutely stunning, and the performances were generally pretty good all around, particularly Harrison Ford, who I thought was stunning the bar conversation scene, and Dave Bautista, who's clearly a much more impressive actor than I thought he was. I'll take special care to check out movies he shows up in!

Some good criticism's there, @ProfJoeButcher

I agree with you on the waltzing into the police station to murder the chief of Police. At least in the original Batty used JF Sebastian and some nifty chess moves to get to Tyrell.

I must admit, K's AI girlfriend did seem a bit iffy at times and seeing the film again I could really go against the idea or like it. I was very unsure about the 'sync' scene. It was like that bit out of the movie Ghost when Patrick Swayze borrowed Whoopi Goldberg's body!

I don't think they got Rachel's eye colour wrong (they were brown in the original) it was just Deckard winding Wallace up and being nonchalant when seeing Rachel again was hard to take.

I'm hoping I get an even better experience when I watch the film again, and hope it's not one of those that when seen for a second time the flaws become all to apparent.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Anyone know if this is one of one of Jóhann's unused 2049 tracks?

Other observations:

Wow, lots of good points there... I glossed over a lot of that because for ME, the movie is a one-off viewing, and I couldn't be invested enough to really care. I've seen the first nearly a hundred times, and I never really needed a sequel anyway.
    I agree with a lot of what you say @ProfJoeButcher. Leto's scenes were definitely weak, his plan didn't add up, and his scene with Deckard felt like fan fiction. I also thought there was no reason for the slow pace when K found the wooden horse, it was super tedious. And yes, Bautista was very good in only a couple minutes of screen time - easily the best performance in the film IMO.