Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 40,492
    So Hoeks was that henchwoman that worked alongside Wallace, yeah? Because I realllllly enjoyed her in the role, failed to mention that. I couldn't place her whatsoever, not sure I've ever seen her in anything before, but I was very impressed by her performance. Ana de Armas would make for a great Bond girl, as well. I even enjoyed the girl that "syncs" with K's AI lady friend - the one who looks like she could pass as a relative of Pris.

I'm in unison with a lot of the positive thoughts being shared here, but I must be in the minority that I'm demanding to see this movie so soon after catching it for the first time the other night. Hell, if it hadn't been so late, I easily could've lined up for a back-to-back showing of it, and that's a very rare feeling I have with movies these days.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    So Hoeks was that henchwoman that worked alongside Wallace, yeah? Because I realllllly enjoyed her in the role, failed to mention that. I couldn't place her whatsoever, not sure I've ever seen her in anything before, but I was very impressed by her performance. Ana de Armas would make for a great Bond girl, as well. I even enjoyed the girl that "syncs" with K's AI lady friend - the one who looks like she could pass as a relative of Pris.

I'm in unison with a lot of the positive thoughts being shared here, but I must be in the minority that I'm demanding to see this movie so soon after catching it for the first time the other night. Hell, if it hadn't been so late, I easily could've lined up for a back-to-back showing of it, and that's a very rare feeling I have with movies these days.

I especially loved the scene where Luv (Sylvia Hoeks) crashes Robin Wrights wrist, and then uses her dead body/face to get access to information :-).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

You're certainly not the only one.
    @Gustav_Graves, same. She shouts at her at one point in an almost unrealistic way, like she reached the intensity of the scream solely because she's a replicant. Loved how badass Wright's character was as she exited the film. "You do what you gotta do," or whatever she said.

@jake24, good. I'm aiming to see it once more in theaters, and this movie will be mine on 4K the day it's released, so I can permanently place it on a loop.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Denis Villeneuve said this 2 weeks ago to a Dutch media outlet (RTL Nieuws):

https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/boulevard/entertainment/denis-villeneuve-niet-klaar-met-sylvia-hoeks
    Denis Villeneuve about Sylvia Hoeks: “After her first scenes [on BR2049], everyone went quiet. From admiration. I compare her with a Stradivarius. She doesn't know it yet, but I certainly want to make a movie with her again.”
    Put her in a Bond film, I wouldn't be upset in the slightest. Make her a henchman/the main villain, though. She shines in BR2049, and it's about time the series had a girl for Bond to tussle with again.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Btw, what did everyone think of the cgi Rachael?
    I didn't have a problem with that because it really wasn't Rachel... but yeah, it looked ... imperfect...
    And Deckard is not a replicant. Pleasure model Pris literally wiped the floor with him. He's be AT LEAST as strong as she was. ;)

True, but if he had that strength it might make him questioning if he indeed was a human.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Did anyone not like the film? It seems to be a unanimous positive response here, even if some question whether it's a worthy successor.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Did anyone not like the film? It seems to be a unanimous positive response here, even if some question whether it's a worthy successor.

I want to say someone really didn't care for it a couple of pages back. It was when I was trying to avoid the thread and caught their post.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Frankly it's so well made in general, it's kind of impossible to not to at LEAST acknowledge its craftmanship. That I don't intend to see it again is merely a personal thing. The preponderance of people I talk to on other venues seem to love it to death. Maybe 1 out of 10 simply don't care for it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    chrisisall wrote: »

Frankly it's so well made in general, it's kind of impossible to not to at LEAST acknowledge its craftmanship. That I don't intend to see it again is merely a personal thing. The preponderance of people I talk to on other venues seem to love it to death. Maybe 1 out of 10 simply don't care for it.
    That's a pretty good batting average. I can understand where you're coming from because you do appear to be very invested (over many years) in the original. While I enjoyed it very much and think quite highly of it, I'm not that heavily into it, and so the direction they took didn't really bother me because they at least endeavoured to make a decent film. At least it's not a catastrophe like some of the Terminator sequels.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 1,386

I saw the movie on Friday evening of its opening weekend. The showing before was also an evening showing. There were only maybe 12 people in the theatre with me and the usher told me the prior showing had about 9 people so at least in my area people aren't exactly pouring into theatres to *see* the film to begin with. A couple guys sitting behind me were a little too loud to not hear. During the trailers one of them asked the other what the movie was about & the other said "I don't know, but it has Han Solo!". 4 people left about 2 hr. in.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 6,747
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Really great film although you can't top BR. Great work Villeneuve!

- Deckard can't be a replicant (he smashes K's face... with no effect).

- Mesmerizing Sean Young: it looks so much better than Carrie in Rogue One.

- What a great work by Ana de Armas (instant Bond Girl?)

- Not Vangelis (by far), but Elvis is great in any form and in any time :)

- What about Sylvia Hoeks? Instant bad-ass Bond-girl?

They should cast her as one. Then she could appear in Johnny English 4.

A couple of further thoughts on BR2049:

- Even though he was good in the film, Harrison Ford didn't give me a Deckard vibe. I looked at him and just saw Harrison Ford. Maybe that's because the character isn't deep enough to begin with. Also, I thought his fathering a child with Rachael was a bit unlikely. They didn't have something that deep together in the first film; would they have lasted enough together to get to that point?

- The best scenes of the film, for me: the first scene with Dr. Stelline, the love scene and the climactic battle. Great stuff. I also really like that moment in which Joe sees the giant Joi hologram after her "death"; it has a strange, uncomfortable vibe.

- That whole revolution trope is a bit overused in films today, don't you think?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 17,691
    mattjoes wrote: »
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Really great film although you can't top BR. Great work Villeneuve!

- Deckard can't be a replicant (he smashes K's face... with no effect).

- Mesmerizing Sean Young: it looks so much better than Carrie in Rogue One.

- What a great work by Ana de Armas (instant Bond Girl?)

- Not Vangelis (by far), but Elvis is great in any form and in any time :)

- What about Sylvia Hoeks? Instant bad-ass Bond-girl?

They should cast her as one. Then she could appear in Johnny English 4.

A couple of further thoughts on BR2049:

- Even though he was good in the film, Harrison Ford didn't give me a Deckard vibe. I looked at him and just saw Harrison Ford. Maybe that's because the character isn't deep enough to begin with.
    I don't think Harrison had a real handle on the character anymore- It HAS been a long time since he played him initially.
    Also, I thought his fathering a child with Rachael was a bit unlikely. They didn't have something that deep together in the first film; would they have lasted enough together to get to that point?
    I definitely think they would have lasted as they had bonds that were forced upon them as well as similar personality traits... but the kid thing... it just seemed so strained to me. Would YOU have a kid while being hunted? Condom time.

- The best scenes of the film, for me: the first scene with Dr. Stelline, the love scene and the climactic battle. Great stuff. I also really like that moment in which Joe sees the giant Joi hologram after her "death"; it has a strange, uncomfortable vibe.
    Yes, many such scenes were inspired to say the least. No doubt this film will get a cult following all its own in time.
    - That whole revolution trope is a bit overused in films today, don't you think?
    Sadly this is where we are headed as a society, violent or not (hopefully not) so films will be pointing to it a lot for a while... :(
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 5,767
    On my second viewing I couldn´t stand the continuing bleakness of the film. I realised that BR, while showing a depressing world, is even more than that fascinating. BR 2049 is the other way round in that regard.

josiah wrote: »

I saw the movie on Friday evening of its opening weekend. The showing before was also an evening showing. There were only maybe 12 people in the theatre with me and the usher told me the prior showing had about 9 people so at least in my area people aren't exactly pouring into theatres to *see* the film to begin with. A couple guys sitting behind me were a little too loud to not hear. During the trailers one of them asked the other what the movie was about & the other said "I don't know, but it has Han Solo!". 4 people left about 2 hr. in.
    On my second viewing the cinema was packed, and it was a fairly big theater. I think the first time I went to a late afternoon screening, and the theater was about half filled.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,119
    boldfinger wrote: »
    On my second viewing I couldn´t stand the continuing bleakness of the film. I realised that BR, while showing a depressing world, is even more than that fascinating. BR 2049 is the other way round in that regard.

Ooowh here we go again. Someone who wants not only "SPECTRE" to look like "Alice In Wonderland", but also "Blade Runner" ;-).
    @Gustav_Graves, there is nothing shit about it. I like color. I have no idea why you mention "Alice in Wonderland", since literally every James Bond film up to and including QoS was abounding with color. And for me, color is also a main factor to make BR so interesting to watch. Frankly, I find this recent obsession with bleakness (pretty much all of Nolan´s stuff, SF, SP) unsettling.
    But that´s just me. No need for you to comment at all, if you have nothing constructive to say. I´m just offering my opinion.
    I know it's IMDB so it's nothing concrete, but the cast list features Sean Young as Rachael. Is it simply because the character that looks like her appeared, or might that confirm she actually did some work for that particular scene (as in she actually filmed it to help them with the de-aging process)?
    @Creasy47 Linked to this on the previous page in case you missed it.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-blade-runner-2049-resurrected-that-character-f/1100-6453912/
    They started by casting a lookalike actress with the same height, skin tone, and general appearance as Sean Young in the original Blade Runner. Then they brought in Young herself, who's fully credited as an actress in the film, to coach the lookalike on exactly how to move. Rachael's elegant gait is pretty distinctive, after all, and it had to look believable when she walked in the room.
    @Strog, many thanks! I missed that. It's very cool how they did it; I had assumed it was possible they simply cast a look alike, but had no clue they brought Young on to "coach" her walk.
    I came across an article today that confounded me. It states that BR2049 sucks because Deckard & Rachael had a kid, and that would never have happened because Deckard didn't ever really love her as evidenced in the Blade Runner rape scene. OMG, it's the Goldfinger thing all over again. Deckard did NOT rape Rachael, he was in turmoil wanting her and not WANTING to want her... feelings explosively awakening and helping to wake hers too... she wanted him but didn't feel real anymore, and he showed he she was. First time I saw that scene it made me cry it felt so emotion packed...
    @chrisisall, I saw that same thing verbatim mentioned, sans the rape bit. Which was equally laughable, given where Deckard finds himself at the end of the movie - fleeing everything he knows to go on the run with her. To imply they weren't crazy enough about one another to stick together and want to have a kid is ridiculous.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Rachel was a "prototype model" based on Tyrell s niece. She was practically just a child with implanted memories from an adult. Deckard is a pedo.
    Rachel was a "prototype model" based on Tyrell s niece. She was practically just a child with implanted memories from an adult. Deckard is a pedo.

That's .... a unique take on it....
    Deckard forcing himself on Rachel is one of the only things I dislike about the original. I find the scene seriously uncomfortable.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Milovy wrote: »
    Deckard forcing himself on Rachel is one of the only things I dislike about the original. I find the scene seriously uncomfortable.
    Isn't this the point though? I don't think we're meant to like Deckard here.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,564
    It's uncomfortable and yet it isn't. The scene reflects Deckard's confusion. He has fallen in love with someone he'd normally describe as 'something' ("How can it not know what it is?"). Maybe he wants to press the issue to the extreme by forcing Rachael into a moment of love, if only to see how real she can be. Maybe his own attitude towards love comes with a lot of pain and confusion--who knows what Deckard himself has been through.

Perhaps this is nothing more than a remnant of the old 'film noir' epics of the 40s, in which it wasn't uncommon for the man to slap his dame back into the present after an outburst of hysteria or a bit of deception she played on him. Male sexual dominance in films, even when portrayed with a bit of aggression, used to be perfectly acceptable and, indeed, even desirable. Though BLADE RUNNER isn't without its own share of misogyny, much of that could simply be a leftover from the old days. Let's not forget that James Bond too has slept with women who he had first hit or forced himself upon.

When the aforementioned scene in BLADE RUNNER unspools, I'm never put off by it. Sex doesn't always come with candles, roses and an 'Unchained Melody' over a bit of pottery. Sometimes people get a little rougher, and very often that is the perfect recipe for some quality time. Deckard tried things the nice way; that failed. And he wants some. And he wants it from her, or 'it'. When he makes her repeat his words, there's actually something tender and sweet going on between them. You can see Rachael turning. In this age of politically correct everything, it may be hard to accept this, but sex is still a game of physical annexation, even when consented, no matter how romantic, regardless of who wants it most. The scene may lean a little bit towards the 'yuck', but there's a definitive 'yeah' in there towards the end. I don't see rape; but I do see Rachael making Deckard work for it. I never question the love between them though.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited October 2017 Posts: 16,333
    Ooowh here we go again. Someone who wants not only "SPECTRE" to look like "Alice In Wonderland", but also "Blade Runner" ;-).

Your post embodies this picture perfectly. :))
    3e3.jpg
    jake24 wrote: »
    Isn't this the point though? I don't think we're meant to like Deckard here.
    Maybe. I mean, the scoring frames the scene as romantic, so I'm not sure. If we aren't meant to like Deckard here, it works - too well, in my opinion.

I am familiar with defenses of the scene. Reading it as Deckard getting in touch with his emotions after feeling cold for so long, trying to help Rachel get in touch with hers. Genre conventions. Etc. I wouldn't mind the scene if she was into it, or met him halfway. But she clearly doesn't want it. She's bolting for the door, getting thrown against the wall, whimpering, on the verge of tears, and finally just acquiesces. I would call this sexual assault.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Deckard tried things the nice way; that failed. And he wants some. And he wants it from her, or 'it'.
    You have described the scene accurately, but what you've described is not sexy in the slightest to me.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 17,691
    I wouldn't mind the scene if she was into it, or met him halfway. But she clearly doesn't want it. She's bolting for the door, getting thrown against the wall, whimpering, on the verge of tears, and finally just acquiesces. I would call this sexual assault.
    I think the reason the scene is so powerful to me is that it feels organic... I read that at first they tried it tender and that it just had no chemistry or drama to it, so they kind of made it up as they went along, and it ended up pretty edgy. And don't forget Rachael saying "Put your hands on me..."