Which Bond Film Does SPECTRE Most Remind You Of?

Comments

• edited April 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Deleted
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The bit where Bond hands on the pipe to kick Hinx in the face with his both feet reminded me of From Russia With Love a lot, which is the same trick Bond uses to kick off Grant during the train fight. And I loved it when Hinx actually was aware, grabbed his feet and threw him away, to which I laughed because when you noticed it, it was aimed at the audience who would've recognized the movement, and when Bond failed, it wanted to say "It worked once. It won't work, now!" :D

Is anyone else with me on this one?
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 1,817
    The bit where Bond hands on the pipe to kick Hinx in the face with his both feet reminded me of From Russia With Love a lot, which is the same trick Bond uses to kick off Grant during the train fight. And I loved it when Hinx actually was aware, grabbed his feet and threw him away, to which I laughed because when you noticed it, it was aimed at the audience who would've recognized the movement, and when Bond failed, it wanted to say "It worked once. It won't work, now!" :D

Yes that was meant to be a subversion. I think Bond has done that particular move in more than FRWL and SP though. Roger does it twice in TSWLM, but pulls it off far worse...

Yes that was meant to be a subversion. I think Bond has done that particular move in more than FRWL and SP though. Roger does it twice in TSWLM, but pulls it off far worse...
    Yes, that move was done in both The Spy Who Loved Me and The Living Daylights. But, they weren't in a train fighting a henchman. The fight between Hinx and Bond was an obvious homage to the Grant vs Bond fight, which is why I believe it gave me that feeling.
  • The bit where Bond hands on the pipe to kick Hinx in the face with his both feet reminded me of From Russia With Love a lot, which is the same trick Bond uses to kick off Grant during the train fight. And I loved it when Hinx actually was aware, grabbed his feet and threw him away, to which I laughed because when you noticed it, it was aimed at the audience who would've recognized the movement, and when Bond failed, it wanted to say "It worked once. It won't work, now!" :D

Yes, that move was done in both The Spy Who Loved Me and The Living Daylights. But, they weren't in a train fighting a henchman. The fight between Hinx and Bond was an obvious homage to the Grant vs Bond fight, which is why I believe it gave me that feeling.

Yes the Bond vs Hinx fight is definitely a homage to the Bond vs Grant fight.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Actually I think he did in fact use the exact move in TSWLM in the train. It was how he finally got Jaws out of there.

I got a combo FRWL/TSWLM vibe from the fight. FRWL due to the visceral nature of it, and TSWLM because of the size difference between the two of them.
    bondjames wrote: »

Actually I think he did in fact use the exact move in TSWLM in the train. It was how he finally got Jaws out of there.

I got a combo FRWL/TSWLM vibe from the fight. FRWL due to the visceral nature of it, and TSWLM because of the size difference between the two of them.
    Oh I forgot about that! I was thinking of his fight with Sandor on the Egyptian rooftops, which where he used it, too. So, Bond did use that kicking movement in the film twice.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,450
    OHMSS:

Helicopter shot of clinic.Of course this must be done by pilot Marc Wolff returns for Spectre.
    Madeline playing with Bond like Tracy.

Irma Bunt

DAF: When Bond shooting the bullet in the glass.

Moonraker: Hugo Drax. When Bond talking with Ober at the villian lair, showing them with some proud some others places.

The room remember me to Moonraker too and and a litle bit to Live and Let Die & The Man With The Golden Gun.

Octopussy: Maintitle. Property Of Lady. Who is Who ?

Tomorrow Never Dies:

Maintitle start
    Give the people what there whant, but in the mean time..
    Control room and Ober is mix of Eliot Carver, Hugo Drax (and his hidden Silva part).
    Who is Who ?
    Bond and Madeline in Helicopter (Wailin)

Twine:

007 your time is up...
    Bond and girl in room in the pretitle. Remember me delete scene between Renard and Cigar girl.
    Funeral
    Trater
    Torture
    Who is Who ?

DAD:

Bond not coming for the girl. In Die Another Day in Cuba clinic Bond steeling a wheelchair whyle girl is sitting on her beath and in Spectre in that scene i discribe above with Twine Bond taking a girl room, but again that's where he is not coming for.

QOS:

Symbol/People missing something..
    Blind for something you don't see or don't wanna see.
    Some people have problem with title song/performer.
    Mr White and Quote from Mr White (If Vesper..)
    The lair. Atleast there inprove a bit.
    Camile and Felix comingback soon..

Overall CR, QOS and Skyfall.

Are there finlay going tell us more about Vesper / QOS was refreshing, but also created new quistions and also there are stil some left from CR. That is what Spectre doing too. Spectre contuned in stil not giving ansers. But is Le Chiffre time warning almoost over / 007 fan your time is up...
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Doesn't remind me of any particular Bond film, but with the more 'jokey' tone it would fit in with the Pierce Brosnan Bond films.
    Still really like though!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited April 2016 Posts: 6,791
    For Your Eyes Only.

Unbalanced tone, somewhat forgettable and a boring climax.

Oh and the helicopter PTS.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 2,483
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    For Your Eyes Only.

Are you referring to the conclusion at St. Cyril's? If so, I thought that was anything but boring. May have been FYEO's best bit, and that film has lots of good material.

PS--What is this bullet/glass thing some of you have mentioned?

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    For Your Eyes Only.

Are you referring to the conclusion at St. Cyril's? If so, I thought that was anything but boring. May have been FYEO's best bit, and that film has lots of good material.

PS--What is this bullet/glass thing some of you have mentioned?

The St Cyril's climb and assault are some of Moore's best Bond moments!
    Actually, having seen the comments here and given it more thought, YOLT is the closest to SP for me. Starts of brilliantly in both cases (and with such scale) and then collapses on its own weight about 3/4 of the way through, limping to a forgettable finale. Overall impression is of a bloated production, despite some memorable highlights in both cases.

Blofeld introduction in both was a major let down, and also in both cases we have a Bond actor who is a shadow of his former self (again imho).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames what's wrong with the YOLT finale? You don't like seeing Bond and dozens of ninjas invading a huge hollowed out volcano, with explosions everywhere and people from both sides getting shot in the face or flying around due to said explosions? ;)
    I find the climax to YOLT a bit dull. It is great to watch the explosions etc especially with the new 5.1 mix - but there is little tension or suspence at the end of YOLT. YOLT is an odd one along with LALD, in that I really enjoyed them and rated them highly as a kid, but they've diminished dramatically when watched as an adult.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @DaltonCraig007, I loved it as a kid. However these days, with each and every subsequent rewatch, like @tanaka123 I just don't feel the tension. I feel the same way about the other Gilbert large scale 'finale laser shootout' scene in MR. I used to love that ending as a kid too. Both are very grand finales with incredible special effects and stuntwork, but they just seem a little too busy (with too many things going on) to me and lacking in excitement these days.

The TSWLM tanker shootout on the other hand is still great to me because they stop/slow down for the 'bomb defusal' scene as well as the kick 'a' Bond assault on the control room using the overhead camera track, complete with Bond theme. TB's finale is bearable because of Barry's brilliant score during the underwater fights.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Cross between...

TSWLM.
    Wise-cracking über-confident 007, effortless quasi-fantastical adventure, souped up car in Italy, pull out all the stops production

TWINE
    Overdone MI6 crew screentime, personal angle, emotional-impact twists gone haywire
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    AceHole wrote: »
    Cross between...

TSWLM.
    Wise-cracking über-confident 007, effortless quasi-fantastical adventure, souped up car in Italy, pull out all the stops production

TWINE
    Overdone MI6 crew screentime, personal angle, emotional-impact twists gone haywire
    @Acehole, that was actually my original assessment on page 1, until the YOLT comparisons swayed me.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 1,817
    For Your Eyes Only.

Quite true. The climax of FYEO, aside from the climb, was quite boring, uninspired, and incomplete given that Melina doesn't even complete her revenge quest. SP's is far worse though.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    I find the climax to YOLT a bit dull. It is great to watch the explosions etc especially with the new 5.1 mix - but there is little tension or suspence at the end of YOLT. YOLT is an odd one along with LALD, in that I really enjoyed them and rated them highly as a kid, but they've diminished dramatically when watched as an adult.

I also found it a little mindless. I wouldn't say there is no suspense as Bond averts WW3 with just 5 seconds to spare alongside Barry's excellent Space March, but the ninja finale was obviously very over-the-top. YOLT sort of diminishes with each viewing.

Controversially I find myself preferring the much maligned "Brosnan one-man stand" climax as seen in TND and to a lesser extent GE. It is more focused around Bond and less around allies I don't care about.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Controversially I find myself preferring the much maligned "Brosnan one-man stand" climax as seen in TND and to a lesser extent GE. It is more focused around Bond and less around allies I don't care about.

\m/ Yep!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    SPECTRE reminds me of GOLDFINGER

Both movies are composed of one iconic sequence after another that could be watched on their own.
    GOLDFINGER is perfect in that regard. You could watch that movie backwards and it still would be fun. SPECTRE is almost as perfect.

Guy Hamilton delivers a practically perfect direction of GOLDFINGER, it's his masterpiece.
    The same goes for Sam Mendes, he was never better at directing and that's a huge accomplishment regarding the many great movies he has directed.

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to die" Goldfinger to Bond
    "And I thought you came here to die" Blofeld to Bond

Goldfinger wants to cut a strapped to a table Bond in half.
    Blofeld wants to drill a strapped to a chair Bond to death.

• Most mentioned seems to be YOLT. How are SP and YOLT alike in your opinion?

Sorry for being so late to respond. Anyway, SP is clearly derived from YOLT - particularly Blofeld's hidden base, his scar, etc - although his character seems a bit more like Telly Savalas' one in OHMSS. The fact that Bond teams up with an Intelligence Agency to take down Blofeld at the end is also a callback to YOLT, I believe. As is Bond and Blofeld watching numerous screens in Blofeld's base and Bond using some sort of gadget in Blofeld's base in cause mayhem and foil the villain's plan (or at least delay it).

• Yes that was meant to be a subversion. I think Bond has done that particular move in more than FRWL and SP though. Roger does it twice in TSWLM, but pulls it off far worse...

Yeah, and so does Dalton in TLD, and Moore does a variant of it in LALD where he swings on a ladder to kick someone in the face for a knockout. 006 uses a variant of it on Brosnan to initiate the fight in GE, I believe.

It's a bit funny how strained Moore appeared to be when he did the overhanging kick against Sandor. A lot less effortless than every other version.
    Thunderball, On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Live and Let Die (well only the day of the dead opening and credits with the face of the dead)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Bond is on the trail of a super villain and along the way has to sleep with a woman he suspects of being party to the super villain's whereabouts in order to get a lead.

He kills one of the villain's henchmen before the henchman can kill him.

He is pursued in a car chase by the henchman but manages to escape.

Along the way he becomes involved with a beautiful girl who by default is caught up in proceedings and the two of them are captured by the villain's men and taken to his private retreat where they are both put in comfortable accommodation before meeting the villain of the piece where Bond is told about SPECTRE and what it's aims and ambitions are.

Bond is beaten and tortured but manages to escape, rescues the girl and blows the villain's lair to high heaven.

Some aspects of Dr No and Spectre. In effect 53 years on from Dr No we can really cherry pick similarities in all the Bond films even though the presentation has altered over the years.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
  • GBFGBF
    NicNac wrote: »
    Bond is on the trail of a super villain and along the way has to sleep with a woman he suspects of being party to the super villain's whereabouts in order to get a lead.

He kills one of the villain's henchmen before the henchman can kill him.

He is pursued in a car chase by the henchman but manages to escape.

Along the way he becomes involved with a beautiful girl who by default is caught up in proceedings and the two of them are captured by the villain's men and taken to his private retreat where they are both put in comfortable accommodation before meeting the villain of the piece where Bond is told about SPECTRE and what it's aims and ambitions are.

Bond is beaten and tortured but manages to escape, rescues the girl and blows the villain's lair to high heaven.

Some aspects of Dr No and Spectre. In effect 53 years on from Dr No we can really cherry pick similarities in all the Bond films even though the presentation has altered over the years.

I like your comparison. In fact the whole idea that Bond and the Bond girls are cought by the villain and then brought to an extremely luxury lair - located in an extremely abandoned place - which is also the villain's headquarter where he manages his operation is very similar to Dr. No. The overly simple destruction of the villain's lair is also similar to Dr. No.

The same applies to the Bond girl who - in both films - has hardly any deeper connection to the plot but is more like a random companion in Bond's adventure..

Oh I forgot about that! I was thinking of his fight with Sandor on the Egyptian rooftops, which where he used it, too. So, Bond did use that kicking movement in the film twice.

Didn't Bond use that move also in LALD to knock Whisper into the canister ?...its been a while since I watched so maybe not...
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    barryt007 wrote: »

Didn't Bond use that move also in LALD to knock Whisper into the canister ?...its been a while since I watched so maybe not...
    In LALD it's more of a swinging action rather than a kicking action because he just moves with the swinging lift. It is somewhat of a kick too though, you're correct about that.

Moore found this new 'one leg lift' kick which he employed only in TSWLM. I think he uses it 3 times (once when fighting Anya's goons at the the pyramids, another time with Sandor, and one more time.....but I can't remember exactly when at the moment).
    DAD for me. Craig in the Q scenes sans jacket looks like Pierce did in the virtual reality sequence in DAD. Both in their respective 4th outing looking good, but just slightly older than in the previous film.
    Dr No homage during the Waltz/ Blofeld SP HQ sequence. I almost expected him to say "ONE MILLION DOLLARS, MR BOND".