Which Bond Film Does SPECTRE Most Remind You Of?

edited March 2016 in SPECTRE Posts: 2,483
The object of this thread is to discuss which official Bond film SPECTRE most reminds us of. And, of course, you'll define "reminds" in your own personal way. It could be the plot, the cinematography, the overall "tone" or any other aspect of the films that serves as your reminder.

I'll shoot first. SP reminds me most of TB. And the primary reminder is that both films have an undercurrent of mystery and menace that, for me anyway, separates them from other Bond films, and binds them to one another. With TB, the mystery and menace derive primarily from Barry's too overlooked score, and the underwater sequences. With SP, they spring from the figure of Hinx and from the flames frequently seen in the film; for example, the flamethrower on Bond's Aston Martin, and the flaming cities seen on TV screens in the background.

I look forward to reading your opinions on this topic.

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    For me it's Daniel Craig's GoldenEye

For various reasons:

GoldenEye has been my favourite Bond movie for 20 years. Only Spectre did the unthinkable and dethroned it.

For me there are quite a few similarities to GoldenEye.
    Firstly the tank chase in the middle of GoldenEye is very similar to the plane chase in Spectre. Many camera angles and some of the action are almost identical. I was jumping for joy seeing that for the first time, really, I had difficulties to contain myself in the cinema seat.
    The PTS of both movies have something in common. While in GE we get one of the most memorable stunts ever (the bungie-jump off the dam) in SP we get one if not the most memorable stunt with a helicopter.
    The structure of both movies are similar as well, at least the most similar of the last 8 movies.

Of course there are other Bond movies I would want Spectre to compare to.
    There is quite a bit of The Spy Who Loved Me in it. And as you said, Thunderball also compares to Spectre.

In any case Spectre only compares to the best of the franchise! Because it also belongs into that category.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    In my view, cinematography wise it reminds me the most of TSWLM, and execution wise it reminds me the most of TWINE.

Currently I have SP '17 out of 24' (a position it is unlikely to move up from any time soon), while I have TSWLM firmly entrenched at '4 out of 24', and TWINE at '24 out of 24'.
    ---

Similarities to TSWLM (mainly positives):
    1. the cinematography - done in a way to convey 'scale' with long, wide, sweeping Lean'esque shots
    2. the huge henchman & train fight
    3. the shadowy mastermind villain with quirk (hands in case of Stromberg & lack of socks in case of Blofeld)
    4. the car & plane chase are conceptually similar to TSWLM's, with a little humour injected in both cases including nod/wave to villain (TSWLM's iconic chase aces both of SP's though)

Primarily it's the sense of grandeur that makes me get that familiarity to TSWLM.
    ---

Similarities to TWINE (mainly negatives):
    1. tonally all over the place. Unusually sombre in some places & jovial in other places, unexpectedly and jarringly, for me
    2. lackluster action sequences that seem shoehorned in or tacked on just to provide a set piece
    3. main villain (I consider that Renard in the case of TWINE) who doesn't live up to advance expectations imho
    4. lengthy pretitle sequence is arguably the best thing about both films
    5. torture chair
    6. weak score (imho)

Primarily it's the weak script & tonal variations along with lackadaisical action which reminds me of TWINE, and that is the predominant memory I am left with, not the cinematography, which is quite decent in a classic throwback way.
  • SP reminds me the most of YOLT. Scar on Blofeld, crater base was like the volcano base, little coherence to the plot.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    First and foremost SP reminds me of Goldfinger AND GoldenEye, It has GoldenEye's action beats and Goldfinger's class and visual style. It's the perfect combining of Old and New.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    For me it's Thunderball all the way.
    The same good action/*meh* action ratio, the same level 'big' plot, the same moments of brilliant characterization ("...She's just dead"/ "Stay."), the same 'WTF?' ending....TB just has FAR better music.
    Dr. No + Live and Let Die +You Only Live Twice + The Spy Who Loved Me+ Thunderball = Spectre
    SP reminds me the most of YOLT. Scar on Blofeld, crater base was like the volcano base, little coherence to the plot.

That word coherence--I do not think it means what you think it means.

chrisisall wrote: »
    For me it's Thunderball all the way.
    The same good action/*meh* action ratio, the same level 'big' plot, the same moments of brilliant characterization ("...She's just dead"/ "Stay."), the same 'WTF?' ending....TB just has FAR better music.

And I would also offer that both films add up to less than the sum of their parts. I enjoy almost every frame of SP and TB, but when the final credits roll I am inexplicably underwhelmed. Not that I dislike SP and TB. Far from it. But they should be more satisfying than they are.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Dr. No + Live and Let Die +You Only Live Twice + The Spy Who Loved Me+ Thunderball = Spectre

Well that's the hell of a postulate. Care to elaborate a wee bit?

• SP reminds me the most of YOLT. Scar on Blofeld, crater base was like the volcano base, little coherence to the plot.

That word coherence--I do not think it means what you think it means.

You're right. The second sentence in particular is a travesty. It's not even a sentence, it's a fragment. Can you believe it? That you would see such a thing on an online forum? I agree that it is completely beyond comprehension. My failings in the utilisation of the English language are clearly so severe that I shall have to head back to primary school and restart my entire education. Nevertheless I shall commit myself to this task wholly, all so I can please you, @Perilagu_Khan! I hope that one day I shall be able to use words like the master of word coherence that you are, but that might be too much to hope for...
    We are all friends here, remember & cohere.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 337
    Hmm... YOLT, perhaps. As a cinematic experience, maybe GE.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 4,325

Well that's the hell of a postulate. Care to elaborate a wee bit?

Certainly - just realised I missed OHMSS - for it's 'love story' - Dr. No - all the stuff at the crater; LALD - Day of the Dead; TSWLM - Epic style, and train fight, Hinx is modern Jaws, that scene of his fingers twitching took me back to Jaws with those Egyptian builders, Thunderball - eery Spectre, board meeting, YOLT - grand scale, intro of Blofeld and his scar
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    SP is Craig's DAD. Then even share AM Jaguar chases...
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    SP is Craig's DAD.
    Silly silly Texan man.
    :))
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    To pick one, You Only Live Twice ; both have all the right ingredients, except for SPECTRE missing a great title long, but are ultimately unsatisfying.
    talos7 wrote: »
    To pick one, You Only Live Twice ; both have all the right ingredients, except for SPECTRE missing a great title long, but [both] are ultimately unsatisfying.
    I actually AM satisfied by both. ;))
    I supposed it reminds me most of Diamonds are Forever, being that Spectre is a disappointing follow up to a great Bond film.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Well I knew SOMEONE had to be :)>-
    Hmm... YOLT, perhaps. As a cinematic experience, maybe GE.

Most mentioned seems to be YOLT. How are SP and YOLT alike in your opinion?

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    SP is Craig's DAD.
    Silly silly Texan man.

:P ...I like DAD though ...more over the years.
    SP is Craig's DAD.
    Silly silly Texan man.

Then not only silly, but WACKY!

;)
    SP is Craig's DAD.
    Silly silly Texan man.

What taste, style!

b-(
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Spectre reminds me of TND. A good film, but under-appreciated, with an awesome aircraft-stunt filled PTS.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I have to say, after having a few months to absorb it, I think the TND pretitles sequence is far superior to SP's. They're not even in the same league. TND's is one of the best pretitles sequences anywhere. A Brosnan highlight.

SP's sequence was great in the theatre, but over time the novelty is wearing off for me, apart from the tracking shot, which is brilliant due to the perspective it gives to the parade.
    Brosnan love, who can explain it?

HAHAHAHAH!
    bondjames wrote: »
    I have to say, after having a few months to absorb it, I think the TND pretitles sequence is far superior to SP's. They're not even in the same league. TND's is one of the best pretitles sequences anywhere. A Brosnan highlight.

SP's sequence was great in the theatre, but over time the novelty is wearing off for me, apart from the tracking shot, which is brilliant due to the perspective it gives to the parade.

TND PTS = generic Brosnan Bond shooting and punching everything in sight without breaking a sweat or looking like he's in any danger whatsoever.
  • tanaka123 wrote: »

TND PTS = generic Brosnan Bond shooting and punching everything in sight without breaking a sweat or looking like he's in any danger whatsoever.

I am inclined to agree. Just a lot of stuff exploding. Although I like the conversations between M and Roebuck.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

So in other words, he's looking as smooth and "keep clam and carry on" as Bond should. :)
    Reminds me of OHMSS, Madeline/Tracy, Mr White/Draco, mountain top facility, Gun shot in glass, Oberhauser/Comte Balthazar de Bleuville, fantastic cinematography and Aston Martin.