Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Homeland Season 6

This Showtime spy thriller series continues to impress. After taking it offshore in Seasons 4 and 5 they brought it back home to NYC for this latest season. The characterizations continue to be rich and textured, the premise timely and relevant and the performances excellent. Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin are now so comfortable in their roles as CIA operatives Carrie Mathison and Saul Berenson respectively that it almost appears as a 2nd skin to them. This season also affords plenty of opportunity for F. Murray Abraham & Rupert Friend to shine as the Deep State rears its ugly head. Elizabeth Marvel joins the cast for what seems like a recurring high profile role. It remains one of my favourite shows.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @bondjames, one of those shows I'm sure I'd love, and may even take a chance on in a few years, but I picked up on too many spoilers of it in college, so it puts a damper on how bad I want to see it.
    @Creasy47, that's upsetting to read. Hate it when that happens.

Yes, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's quite different from 24 (even though from the same team). Much more adult and character based, with less action & some truly excellent interplay. The material won't date so you can certainly catch up with it in a few years and still enjoy it. I think they are planning to stop in a couple of years with Season 8 so that may be a good time to binge watch the whole thing.
    Need to get back into watching Homeland again. Only watched until halfway through season four, which wasn't as good as the previous three seasons. Probably like Homeland better in the U.S setting.
    Need to get back into watching Homeland again. Only watched until halfway through season four, which wasn't as good as the previous three seasons. Probably like Homeland better in the U.S setting.
    I actually quite liked S4. It was a break from what had come before and a sort of restart for the show. Quite topical given current concerns and what not. S3 and S5 were a little weaker for me.
    --

The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story (2016)

I binge watched this 10 episode FX series, based on Jeffrey Toobin's (CNN legal analyst) book The Run of His Life: The People v. O.J. Simpson (1997). It focuses primarily on the so called "Trial of the Century". I didn't follow the case when it was ongoing, but certainly had heard of all the players since their names were broadcast on tv almost every day back then. This series doesn't lean in one direction or the other regarding OJ's guilt, but rather dramatizes the case which gripped a nation for over a year and which made most of the participants famous. Cuba Gooding Jr. stars as Orenthal James (aka "The Juice") Simpson, Sarah Paulson is prosecutor Marcia Clark, Courtney B. Vance is Johnnie ("if the glove don't fit") Cochran, John Travolta is Robert Shapiro, Sterling K. Brown is Christopher Darden, Kenneth Choi is Judge Lance Ito, Bruce Greenwood is D.A. Gil Garcetti & David Schwimmer is Robert Kardashian. The performances are authentic and excellent across the board (particularly from Sarah Paulson) and the story is gripping and riveting.

Highly recommended.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @bondjames, I spent some of the past week watching a lot of interviews and documentaries on the trial as background while I was doing other things. It's one of those times where you just don't know what the truth is anymore, what's up or what's down. And that's pretty terrifying.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 684
    @bondjames I watched that about six months ago. Second your recommendation. I loved Travolta as Shapiro in particular, but everyone was ace across the board. Apparently "American Crime Story" is going to be similar to "American Horror Story" in that it'll tackle a new tale each season. Next year is focused on the Gianni Versace murder, which unlike O.J. I know nothing about.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames Have either of you seen the ESPN "OJ: Made In America" doc? It was on Hulu at one point, not sure if it still is. Anyway, it's probably the best 30 for 30 (essentially) that ESPN has ever done. Utterly compelling viewing, start to finish. The FX dramatization does a much better job addressing the issues of sex surrounding the case (as well as painting a more intimate portrait of the players involved), but when it comes to race, class, incompetency of the investigation/prosecution, etc., the doc delves much deeper. At about seven hours in length, it's certainly got the time.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 given that the show is only 10 episodes I'm not sure how detailed it is in terms of tackling all the case facts. It certainly touches on all the major points (infamous gloves, Fuhrman's attitudes, the LAPD's incompetence etc.). I vaguely remember that the whole thing was quite racially charged, coming as it did a few years after the Rodney King episode. Whenever that becomes an issue then emotions come to a boil and rational thinking tends to take a back seat. I think there are certainly doubts as to OJ's innocence, but ultimately the prosecution wasn't able to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt, which is the necessary standard in a criminal case.

@Strog , I wasn't aware of the Versace murder being the next case they will tackle. I'm looking forward to that too as I know nothing about it either. No, I haven't seen that documentary but thanks for mentioning it. I will definitely seek it out.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    the-tick-amazon-poster.jpg

The Tick I watched the short film last year glad they developed a series, it's daft though it's pretty self aware quite enjoyed the first episode.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Star Wars: Rebels - Season 3

I started this season yesterday and I only have five episodes left to watch. Then it's on to season 4 when they start airing it.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Fortitude - Season 2
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Stargate SG-1

Felt the need to go back through the Stargate shows for the first time in a few years. Currently finishing up on season 3.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Stargate SG-1

Felt the need to go back through the Stargate shows for the first time in a few years. Currently finishing up on season 3.

Great show I had every boxset on dvd the first five seasons were great, tailed off a bit when O'Neil fazed out of the show. I have the movies also Ark of Truth and Continuum both decent especially the latter.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Last show I watched was also the last toy I bought... ;) HN9TPrZ.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    chrisisall wrote: »

Is it inflatable?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Andrew Mar's The making of modern
    Britain. Fascinating for anyone interested
    In modern history.

Is it inflatable?

Priceless question there! Lol!
    Star Wars Rebels Season 3 episode 3 well that was a great episode, certainly think this season is building well with great references.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Is it inflatable?

Silly silly British man. ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Suits
    Stranger Things - Season 1
    latest?cb=20160814211924

I'm rewatching season 1 in preparation for season 2 next month.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 13,894
    "Not so long ago
    in a parallel universe
    not far from here..."

Dick Spanner: The Case Of The Human Cannonball

Oh thank heavens for that. I was afraid that, like the original DVD release, this re-release would feature a different soundtrack. I can confirm that the soundtrack is present and correct, as are the jokes. Watching as an adult, there are so many jokes I now understand. Jokes like Spanner getting a lube job from Mae East.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    latest?cb=20160814211924

I plan on doing the same thing, but I'll likely rewatch it a week or two before the second season debuts.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Orville
    Just finished watching the first episode of The Orville and as a pretty big Star Trek fan, I really enjoyed it. It's very much a pastiche on Star Trek and while some of the jokes weren't up to my fancy I really enjoyed the look and presentation to the show. It has heart and soul to it. It's very colorful and most of the CGI effects are very cinematic. It's more in line with Galaxy Quest but I really dug this show and I'm looking forward to tuning in for more. It was neat seeing Penny Johnson from Star Trek Deep Space Nine playing the Orville's chief Medical officer. Star Trek Discovery is going to have some solid competition.
  • @Murdock As someone who hasn't seen Star Trek and isn't that big on sci fi in general but thinks Seth Mcfarlane's comedy is hilarious when he's on top form, would I enjoy it?
    latest?cb=20160814211924

I really ought to watch this. Seems very Stephen King. Need to finish the last series of Better Call Saul first though.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @Murdock As someone who hasn't seen Star Trek and isn't that big on sci fi in general but thinks Seth Mcfarlane's comedy is hilarious when he's on top form, would I enjoy it?

@thelivingroyale, That might be difficult to answer. It really helps to be familiar with Star Trek and it's tropes, however there was some good humor and some humor that fell flat for me. I can't say for certain if you'd enjoy it. If you've seen Galaxy Quest you might but all I can really say is check it out and see if your cup of tea. I hope that helps.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    latest?cb=20160814211924

I plan on doing the same thing, but I'll likely rewatch it a week or two before the second season debuts.

I wanted to do it early enough so the second season felt more distant form the first, as the second season is roughly a year after the first. If that makes any sense.
    @Murdock As someone who hasn't seen Star Trek and isn't that big on sci fi in general but thinks Seth Mcfarlane's comedy is hilarious when he's on top form, would I enjoy it?
    latest?cb=20160814211924

I really ought to watch this. Seems very Stephen King. Need to finish the last series of Better Call Saul first though.

You really should check it out. I believe the creators were inspired by Stephen King and there's quite a bit of 80's pop culture in it, as it does take place in the 80's. I will say, like most Netflix shows it does start off a bit slow but it's an awesome show.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    BOJACK HORSEMAN
    s01 - s02

e3b64097d06c6a9965901079426853d3931aa4a1.jpg

Excellent animated show! Took me a mere three days to sit through. Great comedy. Will Arnett does amazing voice work.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,271
    Wet Hot American Summer Ten Years Later the second series based on the film, its totally stupid though entertaining.