Soap Opera Moments in the James Bond Films?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Am I the only one in these here forums who does not like LTK much BUT likes Lupe Lamora and find her one of the best elements of the movie?
    Probably not. I'm sure there are others here who share your sentiment, particularly about LTK, which is not universally loved by any means.

However, from my humble perspective, the highlights of LTK are Dalton, Davi & Del Toro. If Lowell & Soto were replaced with any other actresses, I'm sure it wouldn't have changed my view of the film, and quite frankly, it probably would have improved it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Wasn't Carey Lowell auditioned on the script for A View To A Kill?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I wasn't aware of that. I know that Chiles was considered for TSWLM (glad she didn't get it because I'm a huge Bach fan) and Bouquet was considered for MR (I'd have loved her in that role, but then again I'd love her anywhere, including in FYEO - the film wouldn't have been the same without her in that role of Melina imho).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    bondjames wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of that. I know that Chiles was considered for TSWLM (glad she didn't get it because I'm a huge Bach fan) and Bouquet was considered for MR (I'd have loved her in that role, but then again I'd love her anywhere, including in FYEO - the film wouldn't have been the same without her in that role of Melina imho).

Bach, Chiles, Bouquet, Adams, Seymour, Roberts, Ekland

If you think about it, Sir Roger was one lucky guy. He got the best bunch of Bond girls in the franchise.

If you think about it, Sir Roger was one lucky guy. He got the best bunch of Bond girls in the franchise.
    I agree. Moore worked with some fine women. Indeed.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

sans character, just based off of looks of the women themselves, i still gotta go with Sean's ladies..

Ursella Andress
    Zena Marshall
    Eunice Gayson

=P~

.... and thats just from Dr. No..

there is still..

Daniela Bianchi (my personal fav of the bunch)
    Shirley Eaton
    Claudine Auger
    Luciana Paluzzi
    Mie Hama
    Jill St. John
    Lana Wood
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 14,800
    Am I the only one in these here forums who does not like LTK much BUT likes Lupe Lamora and find her one of the best elements of the movie?
    Probably not. I'm sure there are others here who share your sentiment, particularly about LTK, which is not universally loved by any means.

However, from my humble perspective, the highlights of LTK are Dalton, Davi & Del Toro. If Lowell & Soto were replaced with any other actresses, I'm sure it wouldn't have changed my view of the film, and quite frankly, it probably would have improved it.

My appreciation of Lupe Lamore has more to do with the character than the actress, who is beautiful, but, well, not much of an actress. The character of a dominated gangster's mistress is more interesting IMO than a female CIA agent. It creates an extra source of antagonism with the villain (never exploited in the movie) and harks back to classic villain-Bond girl relationships.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

My appreciation of Lupe Lamore has more to do with the character than the actress, who is beautiful, but, well, not much of an actress. The character of a dominated gangster's mistress is more interesting IMO than a female CIA agent. It creates an extra source of antagonism with the villain (never exploited in the movie) and harks back to classic villain-Bond girl relationships.

Very much agree with this.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    And, if I may say so, makes for a much better "kept woman" than Domino Derval.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Certainly under more pressure.

Very much agree with this.
    Yes, I agree on that point too.
    HASEROT wrote: »

sans character, just based off of looks of the women themselves, i still gotta go with Sean's ladies..

Ursella Andress
    Zena Marshall
    Eunice Gayson

=P~

.... and thats just from Dr. No..

there is still..

Daniela Bianchi (my personal fav of the bunch)
    Shirley Eaton
    Claudine Auger
    Luciana Paluzzi
    Mie Hama
    Jill St. John
    Lana Wood
    I agree. Connery also had some wonderful quality girls to work with as well. Bianchi was a standout for me also, as were Auger and Paluzzi.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Karin Dor always gets left out... my favourite... >:P
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Karin Dor always gets left out... my favourite... >:P

Yes! An underrated character.

"Mr Osato believes in a healthy chest"
    Karin Dor is incredible. Those lips......quite distracting. Her scene with Connery on the Ning-Po is class.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 2016 Posts: 17,687
    Karin Dor & Akiko Wakabayashi are the main reasons I love YOLT as much as I do.
    Once they depart, it's just a cool dumb spectacle...
    The Bond and Goodnight saga!
    Paris Carver.
    Bond being slapped in two consecutive films. The Paris Carver reference made me recall these scenes, which disappointed me.

A highly trained individual like Bond should have caught the hand before contact - on both occasions.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Bond being slapped in two consecutive films. The Paris Carver reference made me recall these scenes, which disappointed me.

A highly trained individual like Bond should have caught the hand before contact - on both occasions.

I believe Bond let it happen because he knows he deserved it.

I believe Bond let's it happen because he knows he deserved it.
    I was waiting for that one. Ok, I can perhaps live with that, no matter how unfortunate it was. Still it reminded me of a soap in both instances.
    'Room mate in Zurich' is not a sentence that should be spoken in a Bond movie.

I believe Bond let's it happen because he knows he deserved it.
    I was waiting for that one. Ok, I can perhaps live with that, no matter how unfortunate it was. Still it reminded me of a soap in both instances.

i think a soap opera would have been better than the shoehorned woman from his past Paris Carver was. I suspect they wrote her this way because they could not write a convincing seduction scene.
    Thought of another one.

"Tastes like... strawberries."
    "I wouldn't know."
    "I would!"
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    jackdagger wrote: »
    Thought of another one.

"Tastes like... strawberries."
    "I wouldn't know."
    "I would!"
    I'm ashamed to say, this is one of my favourite lines in Bondom. Such camp. Love it. Bean's delivery and Janssen licking her lips. Great stuff.
    I'm ashamed to say, this is one of my favourite lines in Bondom. Such camp. Love it. Bean's delivery and Janssen licking her lips. Great stuff.

Really? Aw man, it makes me cringe every time. They sound like teenagers. Maybe that's the point, but still. :))
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    jackdagger wrote: »

Really? Aw man, it makes me cringe every time. They sound like teenagers. Maybe that's the point, but still. :))
    Precisely. That's why I'm ashamed to like it. There are many moments like that in GE.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    "Don't think. Just let it happen."
    peter wrote: »
    I just watched this yesterday. I cringed a little, I'll admit.

There are some other scenes in Afghanistan I think where I almost felt I was watching a soap miniseries, with D'abo all dolled up in some satin nightie or something along those lines.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »
    I just watched this yesterday. I cringed a little, I'll admit.

There are some other scenes in Afghanistan I think where I almost felt I was watching a soap miniseries, with D'abo all dolled up in some satin nightie or something along those lines.

Yes, when she knocks him over with a pillow, calling him a "horses ass" in Russian. My spine still rattles...