The Spy Universe: Shared or Separate?

edited September 2011 in General Movies & TV Posts: 5,745
The reigning (box office) spy movie hits of recent film are, of course, Bond, Mission Impossible (Ethan Hunt), and Jason Bourne. All have critically acclaimed and critically hated movies under their belt (besides Bourne, perhaps) and all, so far, are continuing franchises. But while revisiting the first (and best, imo) Mission Impossible, I thought to myself:

"Do Bond, Hunt, and Bourne all operate in the same reality?"

To develop this thought further, would Tom Cruise's Ethan Hunt have worked with Brosnan AND Craig's Bond, as well as Damon's (and the future Jeremy Renner's) Bourne? Or do they all operate in separate realities?

And if that's too easy for you, do all the Bond's operate in the same world? With such variable tones and styles, its hard to see it that way. I understand it is intended to be the same man, but a man that changes that much suffers from multiple personality disorder.

And........... Go.

Comments

Separate reliaites. An AVENGERS-style Bond-Bourne-Hunt cross-over might be interesting just to see if it could be done, but it would need a few alterations to each universe. In Bond films, the CIA are good guys; in Bourne, the CIA are corrupt. Obviously, one of these needs to be changed - but how do you decide which one bows to the other?
    In Bond films, the CIA are good guys; in Bourne, the CIA are corrupt.
    This is true. But its the main character's relationship that determines that. However, I cant really see Felix Leiter (pre-CR/QoS) being a strict assassin.

No, you're missing the point here. If a Bond-Bourne cross-over took place, then the film would have to commit to one interpretation of the CIA. It cannot be good and bad as per the requirements of the individual characters - it has to be one or the other.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 5,745
    Weeeeellllllll you could play with it. If Bourne as a lead, still running from the CIA, but in England, and you had Bond assigned to pursue, you could play both sides of the game. But, of course, your right. In the end, you'd have to pick a side. I personally would like to see spy's honor and Bond eventually backs Bourne and lets him go, to continue to run while Bond makes up some story of escape. Thus, of course, picking Bournes side. But for the majority of the movie you could play both.
    But its the main character's relationship that determines that.
    To clarify I meant in their respective movies. A shared movie would have to pick a side.

Back to the topic, in MI:I, Hunt eventually hides out in England, after stealing the NOC list. Thus, his CIA pursuers call upon MI5 for assistance. I think Hunt, still being a some-what agent of the CIA, and Bond are the most believable couple to operate in the same setting. NOT in the majority of MI:I, but once, of course, Hunt is reinstated into duty, I could believably see them working in the field together.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    But if the IMF call upon MI5, why would Bond get involed, he's MI6. And if Hunt is hiding out in England, then Bond can't help him, as the UK is MI5's turf.
    Nonono, I simply was showing you that they DO in fact work together (IMF and MI5). That was just an example I gave. But as a franchise, Hunt is usually still an IMF agent, and my point was that Bond and Hunt are more likely to work in the same field over Bond and Bourne. Hunt's storyline is a little more Bondish than Bourne's storyline.

Did that clear things up? I wasn't trying to say they woulld work together in MI:I, just that they COULD operate in the same universe.
  • I suppose this fits, so I'll share it-
    Back when League of Extraordinary Gentlemen came out, Wizard Magazine had a quick little 'what if' article where movies did the same thing (as LXG did with book characters). It was pretty cool- it had James Bond going rogue, and the combined might of the likes of Indiana Jones, Terminator, Bourne and IMF to bring him down. Hell maybe even freaking Batman, I can't remember, lol

lol it was totally ridiculous, but the idea was kind of cool- in particular Bond vs IMF
    the likes of Indiana Jones, Terminator, Bourne and IMF to bring him down. Hell maybe even freaking Batman
    lol it was totally ridiculous, but the idea was kind of cool- in particular Bond vs IMF
    That's a hell of a mix! Its hard picturing bond in a genre blender. The only movie that attempted to *majorly* change or mix genre's in a Bond film (that I can remember) was Moonraker, and it turned out silly compared to other Bond films. CR/QoS have western vibes that add to the story line, but nothing major.

Its hard to see The Terminator and Batman in the same reality as our spy heroes. Indiana Jones had James Bond for a father, so they HAVE to be in the same reality. The time field is just a little hazy XD

I'd like to see, and I know @shadowonthesun brings this up a lot, but a Bond movie that incorporates a lot of fellow 00's. Shadow has this idea of another 00 sent to find Bond as he goes missing. You could do that same story line with the CIA going after Bond. Hunt is sent to find him, or Bourne is sent to kill him. Would be a interesting mash up for sure.

I reckon they could exist but I like the idea of Bourne going up against 007. Say he is on the run from CIA and goes to England ( I liked this idea, thanks) and M assigns Bond and the female 00 we briefly saw in DAD to bring him in or terminate with extreme prejudice...be fun watching the two 00's following and tracking Bourne.
    Of course Bourne woud turn to Ethan Hunt to help him out and mission impossible guy steps in and that would be one helluva movie.
    Bourne and Hunt versus Bond and the female 00
    Who do you root for?
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I reckon they could exist but I like the idea of Bourne going up against 007. Say he is on the run from CIA and goes to England ( I liked this idea, thanks) and M assigns Bond and the female 00 we briefly saw in DAD to bring him in or terminate with extreme prejudice...be fun watching the two 00's following and tracking Bourne.
    Of course Bourne woud turn to Ethan Hunt to help him out and mission impossible guy steps in and that would be one helluva movie.
    Bourne and Hunt versus Bond and the female 00
    Who do you root for?
    I'd take out the female 00, put hunt on bonds side (since the US and the UK are allies) and give bourne some one else as an ally, or just have bourne solo like he is most of the time. actually, hunt has a whole team, so it would be bond, hunt and the rest of the MI team vs just bourne??? that doesnt seem fair come to think of it, and if you throw jack ryan in its even worse.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think Bourne would lay everyone out, even on his own. He has a smarter improvisational sense that Bond for sure. Bond has gadgets to save him all the time, but Bourne has to tackle the situation without any help whatsoever. The hard choice would be Bourne vs. Hunt. Ethan and Jason are both extremely matched in fighting/brawling, and have both been Langley boys. Ethan has his team to back him up, but again Bourne is all alone in this, and must improvise every action he takes. I can see Bourne beating them all actually. Or they could all join up and fight a bigger evil so none have to die. I love them all too much! :-"
    I think Bourne would lay everyone out, even on his own. He has a smarter improvisational sense that Bond for sure. Bond has gadgets to save him all the time, but Bourne has to tackle the situation without any help whatsoever. The hard choice would be Bourne vs. Hunt. Ethan and Jason are both extremely matched in fighting/brawling, and have both been Langley boys. Ethan has his team to back him up, but again Bourne is all alone in this, and must improvise every action he takes. I can see Bourne beating them all actually. Or they could all join up and fight a bigger evil so none have to die. I love them all too much! :-"
    Bourne would kill everyone, but not before bond slept with his girlfriend and ethan and his team stole all his stuff.
    It's like clay ; you can mold it. If you want it, you could make them all work in the same universe. But as it is, they're working in their own existences. Separate from the others.
  • I have an idea! How introduce Bond and Bourne in a movie that takes place right after The Bourne Ultimatum. Have them team up to capture or stop some one or some people. Throw hints to Ethan Hunt like a news cast showing the Kremlin destruction in a scene. Then, in the end, show all three (Bond/Bourne/Hunt) getting files for a team/initiative (I call it the Task Force Initiative). Either in this film or TFI, introduce Aaron Cross, Taken guy (Liam Neeson) and Salt (Angelina Jolie) so they appear in the team up movie! The team now officially consists of James Bond, Jason Bourne, Aaron Cross, Ethan Hunt, Salt, and Taken guy! It's a spy movie version of The Avengers
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 6,396
    I have an idea! How introduce Bond and Bourne in a movie that takes place right after The Bourne Ultimatum. Have them team up to capture or stop some one or some people. Throw hints to Ethan Hunt like a news cast showing the Kremlin destruction in a scene. Then, in the end, show all three (Bond/Bourne/Hunt) getting files for a team/initiative (I call it the Task Force Initiative). Either in this film or TFI, introduce Aaron Cross, Taken guy (Liam Neeson) and Salt (Angelina Jolie) so they appear in the team up movie! The team now officially consists of James Bond, Jason Bourne, Aaron Cross, Ethan Hunt, Salt, and Taken guy! It's a spy movie version of The Avengers

Here's another idea. How about you lay off the crystal meth?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited December 2013 Posts: 7,854
    The team now officially consists of James Bond, Jason Bourne, Aaron Cross, Ethan Hunt, Salt, and Taken guy! It's a spy movie version of The Avengers

Bond: Yes
    Bourne: Yes
    Cross: Maybe
    Hunt: Yes
    Salt: Go f*ck off
    Liam Neeson: I don't know who you are or what you want, if you're looking for belief, you won't find any, but what I have is a very particular set of ideas relating to a super-spy crossover. A set of ideas which could be a nightmare for people like you.

In other words, no.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I have an idea! How introduce Bond and Bourne in a movie that takes place right after The Bourne Ultimatum. Have them team up to capture or stop some one or some people. Throw hints to Ethan Hunt like a news cast showing the Kremlin destruction in a scene. Then, in the end, show all three (Bond/Bourne/Hunt) getting files for a team/initiative (I call it the Task Force Initiative). Either in this film or TFI, introduce Aaron Cross, Taken guy (Liam Neeson) and Salt (Angelina Jolie) so they appear in the team up movie! The team now officially consists of James Bond, Jason Bourne, Aaron Cross, Ethan Hunt, Salt, and Taken guy! It's a spy movie version of The Avengers

Here's another idea. How about you lay off the crystal meth?

Well he is Crazy after all! ;)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Crazy doesn't even sum that up. Hell, he didn't even throw Jack Ryan in there!
    I think some of those franchices have come too close already to being soap operas, so let´s leave each of them in their own universe, it´s more fun like that. I also enjoy the Iron Man films, while ignoring as much as I can The Avengers.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Well the idea is pretty fun, just as a pure "what if?". Why can't we have a discussion around just that without someone being slagged of as crazy?
  • Jee some of the replies to my post are rude. Just an idea! This is a community page, you pricks. Those supportive, thank you!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I would like to say that 'Bourne' has the hated 'The Bourne Legacy,' but that could just be me talking.

@CrazyIndianWriter, two posts in, NOT a great idea to call loyal members "pricks."
    Not only what @Creasy47 said, @CrazyIndianWriter, but stay around long enough and you're gonna find that not all of us get along or even support one another. Plenty of us have had heated arguments with other members.

Besides, your idea did kinda suck.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Thanks to some research, Philip José Farmer found that most literary heroes were from the same few families, whose ancestors were irradiated by a fallen meteor. Amongst many, many other things, he found out that James Bond's grandfather is a cousin of Phileas Fogg, and that 007 shares the same grand-grand-grandfather as Doc Savage. Not only do they share the same reality, they are related to one another...

savage_tree.gif

CrazyIndianWriter, always remember that the same idea can be judged fun or ridiculous depending where it comes from. A few years ago, a fanfiction about M going out in the field with Bond and Bond's gamekeeper in Bond's family home would have very probably called "ridiculous". Now Skyfall's script is called brilliant by some :)

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Hey I once had a dream not too long ago that took place after Die Another Day. The movie was about M who goes on a mission 100 time more over the top than DAD was. She was rescuing random hot women and climbing mountains with these special motor boots and Q was with her so it was a Buddy cop movie I guess...I don't know.
    Murdock wrote:
    Hey I once had a dream not too long ago that took place after Die Another Day. The movie was about M who goes on a mission 100 time more over the top than DAD was. She was rescuing random hot women and climbing mountains with these special motor boots and Q was with her so it was a Buddy cop movie I guess...I don't know.

What is this, I don't even...
    Calling them pricks was a bit out of order but @CrazyIndianWriter was hardly given a warm welcome.

I don't know why but this forum has been particuarly unwelcoming to new members lately. I get constant PMs now saying "better watch out for/I've got a bad feeling about *insert new member here*", sometimes before they've even posted anything!

Instead of slagging him off how about we voice our disagreement while welcoming the new guy to the forums?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelivingroyale, I suppose that's attributed to so many newcomers ending up as trolls or spambots. I really try not to do it, I was merely pointing out that any new member, legitimate or not, should not call other members 'pricks' right off the bat. Give it some time before insulting us. ;-)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Jee some of the replies to my post are rude. Just an idea! This is a community page, you pricks. Those supportive, thank you!

Calm down friend, juat a little ribbing from some members. Welcome to the community, @CrazyIndianWriter! I love your username!
    For me I am very happy to have them all as separate realities. They are not super heroes but shadowy representations of what goes on in the world to a certain extent. I would like them to stay that way personally. The crossover would be interestingly curious? But I could not see it working for some reason?