List the cars you own

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 3,000
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

The Question you must ask yourself with a Car of this age and mileage is When It Goes Wrong Which It Will ! How Will I Feel About Scrapping It .

Sorry to sound negative but I know from my customers cars that it's not the buying of older BMWs it's the cost of keeping them running that often breaks the bank.

Yeah, I know. It would be a second car if I got it. Just a fun/project car. Definitely a money pit.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited April 2016 Posts: 2,252
    I don't want to triple post, but lord, look at how badly the 7-series depreciates:

http://www.carsales.com.au/car/bmw/740i/

These are Australian figures, of course, but shocking prices all the same. To think that they cost about a quarter of a million Australian dollars when they're fresh.

S-class isn't much better. There's an '83 S-class for $5000. A 2008 Audi A8 is only 40 grand plus govt. charges, a '95 one is 5k driveaway. The numbers for the Jaguar XJ are much higher.

A 2001 Aston Martin DB7 is $69k - within my price range, lol.

What's also shocking is a 7 series in the USA is about half the price as one here 81000 USD vs 158800 USD (206000aud). Even if you double the US price it will still be cheaper to buy in the states once taxes are factored in
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,984
    Yeah, cars in Australia are generally extremely overpriced. Especially when you get to the limousines. Then again, apparently we do get higher wages. I wouldn't know, though.
    How's the Clio @ForYourEyesOnly ?

It's a great looking car, certainly near if not on top of my list if I was looking in that segment and price range.
    @w2bond - It's nice. Fairly quiet and with a decently punchy engine. A bit flashy, but the customization options and the general Frenchification ensures that it's not "plain". That said, my wife's red dashboard reflects quite poorly in the sunlight. Fairly supportive seats as well. We don't have a lot of rear passengers (not often, at least), so the lack of rear curtain airbags doesn't hurt us.

It's one of the most expensive cars in its segment, I think. But I also think it's worth the money.
    A bit flashy, but the customization options and the general Frenchification ensures that it's not "plain".

Flashy is good. Too many brands are too plain these days, either to appeal to the masses, or to satisfy tough ADR rules
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    w2bond wrote: »
    A bit flashy, but the customization options and the general Frenchification ensures that it's not "plain".

Flashy is good. Too many brands are too plain these days, either to appeal to the masses, or to satisfy tough ADR rules
    So true. Character has been lost in the car market, as in many other markets. Whenever I'm at the auto show, I'm amazed at how sterile everything seems, even as power and features are upped.
    @w2bond - That's true. It's quite a spirited car, which is good, because most cars in its segment (or perhaps most cars in general) are now soulless pieces of technology.

@bondjames - In fairness, a lot of cars' characters aren't really seen until you drive one for yourself.
    But just the appearance of them makes them lose appeal. Eg compare the old and new Porsches. They are both nice, but older cars don't have the restrictions of design rules

DeRose-911-7942.jpg

Porsche-911-Aus-Launch-2016-13-copy.jpg
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @ForYourEyesOnly, I was referring primarily to design, where I believe aerodynamics and computer wind tunnel modelling have made everything look too similar. The same goes for interior ergonomics (again computer assessments giving similar answers). Furthermore, I do find cars just too 'isolated' these days, with 'brake by wire', 'drive by wire', sound deadening, and again, computers coming between the driver and both inputs and outputs.

@w2bond, that new Porsche is something beautiful though, as is the classic one.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I just had to buy a new flashy refrigerator. Can we compare those?

If everything in the segment is a soulless piece of tech, sure.

It was a joke, I know.
    Kenmore is a Sears 'house' brand no? I think you can probably find the source brand equivalent model and then price compare or get it cheaper elsewhere like you did. Unless it's a Sears specific model made only for them by the source manufacturer, but most aren't.
    Does anyone have a Renault Captur?
    Does anyone have a Renault Captur?

Oooh that's a cute one. Not much of a "man's car" but it's stylish.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @ForYourEyes personally I'm not a fan of Audi, the driving experience is too clean, like a space ship. I do like the BMW 3 series a lot, as the handling of BMW's is fantastic. Still would go for the Jag though (I'm 36). Another option would of course be the Alfa 159, which I'm aiming for next, but Alfa's don't have a fantastic track record when it comes to reliability. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of 156's with over 200.000 km on the counter and still going strong.
    @CommanderRoss - It's interesting - they actually advertise the Audi A4 as "feeling like a spaceship" even though it's a car. How about the Mercedes-Benz C-class??
    @ForYourEyesOnly, the C-Class has gotten better over the years. In fact, I believe it gives the current generation 3 Series a run for its money. However, it is still on the 'softer' side vs. the the BMW, which remains the benchmark in this class if one is after driving characteristics and handling. Moreover, Mercedes power delivery is still more leisurely (intentionally) and the pedal heavier, unless one graduates to AMG versions. The 3 series does live up to the monicker 'Ultimate Driving Machine'. As mentioned before, I prefer the earlier E36 in particular and E46 slightly less so. They were even more 'balanced'.

I personally like the A4 due to the interior in particular, and it's a nice balance between the Benz and the Bimmer, but that's just me.
    @bondjames - I don't mean to be overly inquisitive, but what time period exactly does "over the years" refers to? Because I recall people saying the C-class was pretty poor back in 2012 with horrible, unsupportive seats, poor drivetrain, not as fast or sleek as the 3-series, etc.
    @ForYourEyesOnly, I'll admit that I have been a Mercedes man over the years, and have only recently come over to BMW and then to Audi. So I lean towards a slightly softer ride, and that inherent bias must be accounted for.

In my view, the 2012 W204 C-Class is a very good car, and as good as the E90 3-Series that ran until 2011 in some markets (which was its contemporary) although softer sprung. It certainly did not have unsupportive seats and a poor drive train in my view, but then again, I have only driven six cylinder variants (C350 Benz and 335i BMW respectively), and that makes a difference. I cannot comment on the 4 cylinder turbo models where the BMW may have been notably better.

The F30 BMW 3-series replacement that arrived in 2012 in some markets (the current model) is a superior & larger car, but it is one generation newer than the 2012 C-Class. The comparable generation C-Class to that car is the current W205 iteration. I have not driven either of these cars personally.
    @bondjames - Alright, thanks.
    @ForYourEyesOnly, I forgot to mention that the 'options' make a difference to the comfort levels. Base model German cars can be quite bare. North Americans tend to get them nicely optioned normally with either Leather or Leatherette (no cloth). Not sure about Oz.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I just had to buy a new flashy refrigerator. Can we compare those?

Cool :D
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @ForYourEyes I've only sat in the C-class as a passenger, I've never driven one, so I really can't comment on the Merc. It's a good looking car imo. I'm not much of a fan of Mercs, they're typical taxi cars over here.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My 2009 Chevy Aveo.
    nzLaD9Pl.jpg
    edited April 2016 Posts: 2,252
    Appearance wise the standard BMW/Merc/Audis look too tame for me, though the performance mercs look great.

I think it comes down to the design restrictions discussed before...if you look at the nose of the latest 3 series and merc, they've got a bulging upright nose with swept back headlights which is all the rage these days, the mazda6 being the best example. I think it's to do with pedestrian safety
    Just got myself a 2001 Alfa 156 Wagon with a new 1.8 litre 16V engine. Love it to bits! Fastest car I ever owned!
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 12,837
    My first and only car was a used 1994 golf. Lasted me a good few years too.

Haven't actually owned a car since then. I've got my licence and I'm insured on my wife's car (a 2010 Fiesta), but I haven't actually owned one of my own. I've always found it strange really, how I work with cars for a living (I'm a mechanic by trade) but have never been that much of an enthusiast outside of that (apart from fantasising about models I could only dream of affording, I blame being a Bond fan for that).

Motorbikes on the other hand, that's a different story. I've been riding a Triumph Tiger 1050 for the last few years. It's my third bike and I really do love it, it's by far the best one I've ever owned, but I would like to upgrade at some point this year I think.
    And of course the new year starts with me spinning off the highway. Thankfully damage is repaireable, and thankfully it wasn't busy, or I might have been hit by another car. As it is only the back bumper and metalwork is damaged. Were some trechereous conditions, I wasn't even speeding, which is unique for me. Oh well, hope it's not going to cost me too much.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The only Bond cars(ish) I've ever owned were a couple of Saab 900 Turbos - and of course Bond only had one of those in the Gardner books! One was an Aero though, it was brilliant.