List the cars you own

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Yes, I'd certainly consider the Jag. A sense of style shared with all the legends who advertise it.

I'd just make sure you have a good mechanic or extended warranty as well. I'm sure they've cleaned up their act on that front, but I still would get the extended insurance.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    @bondjames - Yes, I remember seeing that ad, and the Top Gear episode where Tom Hiddleston was interviewed on it. Brilliant.

The XE looks great and the reviews for its handling are well, radiant, but the small boot size might be problematic. I don't think the smaller back seats are a problem since my kid is only four, but the boot might be a problem. Then again, I won't be using it for weekly shopping.
    Aston Martin DB9
    2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Aston Martin DB9
    Impressive sir. Photos please.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @ForYourEyesOnly personally I wouldn't hesitate. Even though I sure do like the Mustang, it's left in the dust by the Jag. I see them often around here and they do turn heads (mine included). But take a test drive first and feel the difference, then you'll know. And you'll know if the boot problem is indeed a problem, or if it's outclassed by the sensation of driving the XE..
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    take a test drive first and feel the difference, then you'll know.
    It's not the car; it's the driver.
    A crap car can equal a high end one.
    It'll just burn out WAAAAY faster.
    =))
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    chrisisall wrote: »
    take a test drive first and feel the difference, then you'll know.
    It's not the car; it's the driver.
    A crap car can equal a high end one.
    It'll just burn out WAAAAY faster.
    =))

True, but even a crap driver will enjoy ruining the one car more then the other... :-P

note: not talking about @ForYourEyes here!
    I haven't tried the XE yet, but I am already considering some rivals like the Audi A4 and BMW 3 series. Has anyone else driven any of these and would like to offer comments?
    I have. Both the A4 and 3 series are excellent. The 3 series in particular is nearly perfectly balanced, although I do prefer the earlier generations, and in particular the E36 & E46 models from the mid 90's to mid 00's (pre-Chris Bangle who brought in 'flame surfacing' with the 7 series from the mid 00's).

The A4 has the better interior, and is very purely styled in Bauhaus style. It's a great car too, and a little softer than the BMW.

If you prefer the ride, then go for the Audi. If you prefer handling then the BMW is the choice. There is always the C-class and Lexus IS line as well.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,984
    @bondjames - So I should go for those over the XE? I mean, I still want a Jaguar, I'm just considering the others. And also because there's this perception that only old people drive Jaguars. I'm only in my mid thirties.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    It's a personal choice @ForYourEyesOnly. I would drive them all first and see what works best for you. The Jag will probably be the most exclusive and that is a valid consideration. Mercs, Audis & Bimmers are quite commonplace depending on which part of the world you're in.

Having said that, the new Audi A4 (chassis code B9) is meant to be very good, particularly with the optional 'Virtual Cockpit'.
    @bondjames - Yeah, the German alternatives are quite commonplace here. The Jag isn't.
    @Birdleson - I'm not that wealthy. I'm still using my '07 Toyota Corolla Sedan, and my wife's got a newer Renault Clio. I'm just happy with various things right now, and the cars in the $60-$70k range are now accessible for me. I'm just considering them.
    @Birdleson - Ah. I've heard the new Jaguars have much better infotainment systems, because the old ones were incredibly frustrating to use. And older Jaguars have crappy reliability, or at least they're famous for it. Then again, you live in America, meaning that with older Jaguars, you get the leapers (a definite plus).

For used cars, I'm thinking of Mercedes-Benz, but they're obviously a lot more soulless in comparison to Jaguars, so it's up to you, really.

@Birdleson - How do you like the new Camry? When my wife wanted to get a Yaris in late 2014, her friends (and mine) told us that newer Toyotas were pitiful and needed to step up their game. Then, for some reason, she decided to get a Renault Clio. I thought the Yaris was fine, but obviously it was too plain for her.
    Yes, my 1000th post!

@Birdleson - That's nice to hear. Reliability is a major factor in cars like this and it seems like Toyota is living up to its reputation. Is it a bit plain on the inside? I often hear Toyotas being accused of that.
    Yeah, you're approaching your 10000th post. When did you join?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I don't, maybe I've always owned plain cars. Seems normal to me. I guess the BMWs and Mercedes that I've been in are somewhat more plush.

There's something about plain cars; the just keep moving. My Volvo has 155,000 miles on it now and still going strong. Though, some part of me wants to waste my tax refund on a '97 BMW 740 I found for $1000 (emphasis on the word waste).
    The '83 Alfa Romeo GTV6 from OP is apparently really cheap if you can find one. And apparently it handles very well. But a 740 from '97 for $1000 is a very good deal, indeed. Of course, when you emphasize the word "waste", I assume it's neither not in a good condition, or you plan on doing a Brosnan with it. Then again, your name is BMW_with_missiles, and the 740 was the one in TND (it was actually a 740 rebadged as a 750).

Also, I saw someone on the last page say they had a Bentley Arnage. That's... well, I'm jealous. I mean, even if it's used, I can't afford it.
    Speaking of rich cars that make me envious to the bone, I saw an Aston Martin Vanquish today. It was red and traveling at a casual pace, so I got a good look at it.

Of course, on the way home, I forgot about that as soon as I saw a classic black Rolls Royce at the lights. Couldn't tell which model it was (I think a Phantom VI?) but it was unquestionably a Rolls Royce, even from that distance.
    I don't want to triple post, but lord, look at how badly the 7-series depreciates:

http://www.carsales.com.au/car/bmw/740i/

These are Australian figures, of course, but shocking prices all the same. To think that they cost about a quarter of a million Australian dollars when they're fresh.

S-class isn't much better. There's an '83 S-class for $5000. A 2008 Audi A8 is only 40 grand plus govt. charges, a '95 one is 5k driveaway. The numbers for the Jaguar XJ are much higher.

A 2001 Aston Martin DB7 is $69k - within my price range, lol.

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I don't want to triple post, but lord, look at how badly the 7-series depreciates:

http://www.carsales.com.au/car/bmw/740i/

These are Australian figures, of course, but shocking prices all the same. To they think that cost about a quarter of a million Australian dollars when they're fresh.

I know. BMW's never seem to hold their value. That's actually one reason I like them; they're attainable in the used market, but it would suck if you bought it new.
    @BMW_with_missiles - I edited my post to add some figures for Aston, Merc and Audi. Also shocking.

Jaguar seems to hold its value well.
    Aren't Rolls Royces and Bentleys supposed to be more precious as they age? A bunch of them from the 70's and 80's are listed in the sub-$20k to $40k range. An '87 Bentley Mulsanne for under $30k. A '51 Bentley Mark VI Manual for about the same. '46 and '48 Mark VI Manuals are $35k.

All the cheap Rolls Royces are Silver Spirits from the 80's and Silver Shadows from the 70's. Also a '53 Silver Wraith for $35k.

Of course, the prices would probably be tripled if we factored in maintenance costs for a decade or so. But then again, don't some people buy these cars just to look at them?
    Here it is. http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Bentley-Mark-VI-1951/SSE-AD-3961396/?Cr=7

11k on the odometer. No pictures of the inside, though, so that's a bit suspicious.

Probably includes extra costs like govt. costs, but I can't imagine that'd be too much.
    @Birdleson - These ones from the late 40's are much more convincing. They have higher numbers on the odometer and pictures of the inside. Apparently the '48 one is a converted Rolls Royce Silver Dawn.

'46: http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Bentley-Mark-VI-1946/SSE-AD-3857857/?Cr=11

'48: http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Bentley-Mark-VI-1948/SSE-AD-3964734/?Cr=10

@Birdleson - You're welcome. You can inquire to them if you're interested in the condition. Then again, I don't think they're willing to ship it over to America, but surely they'll be American counterparts to this.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I prefer older cars. Early 00's and before. There's something about the 'feel' before all the computer/electronic crap took over. Especially the German cars from that prior era but even the Japanese ones.

My favourite experience is an old Golf (Gen 2), 1st or 2nd gen Miata MX-5 or E36 BMW, as I said before. Not too much power perhaps, but excellent driving feel.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.

The Question you must ask yourself with a Car of this age and mileage is When It Goes Wrong Which It Will ! How Will I Feel About Scrapping It .

Sorry to sound negative but I know from my customers cars that it's not the buying of older BMWs it's the cost of keeping them running that often breaks the bank.