What country would you like to be the MAIN location for BOND 26?

Comments

• Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Singapore/Indonesia/Malaysia is a great idea.

Also would love to see Bond somewhere like Iran.

I think we need a proper stint in Brazil as well... Moonraker just wasn’t quite enough.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Singapore is a great location for a Bond film. Such a lovely place.
    Malaysia would also be a good locale for Bond to visit. And if he's in the area, a trip to Australia wouldn't go a miss. Specifically Perth. A vibrant and up and coming city, that is not only beautiful. But untapped in the world of film for the majority.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Some of the Greek Islands are gorgeous, Canada might be good as winter location
    Maybe South Africa, its meant to be beautiful place, especially the sunrises/sunsets
    I think they need to give Italy a break for a while, it's a wonderful country but we've seen a lot of it during Daniel's era, it's in danger of becoming too familiar
    I suppose it all depends on story, budget and the climate at the time of making the film.
    I have faith the producers will pick some great locations, they always do
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Australia, New Zealand and Africa.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2021 Posts: 14,935
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Some of the Greek Islands are gorgeous, Canada might be good as winter location
    Maybe South Africa, its meant to be beautiful place, especially the sunrises/sunsets
    I think they need to give Italy a break for a while, it's a wonderful country but we've seen a lot of it during Daniel's era, it's in danger of becoming too familiar
    I suppose it all depends on story, budget and the climate at the time of making the film.
    I have faith the producers will pick some great locations, they always do

It is just plain odd that he’s been to Italy in four out of his five films.

Greece would be nice, agreed there. Beautiful, historic but also believably a place of intrigue and industry. I’m glad they’re using a Scandinavian country in the new one: that’s an area which Bond hasn’t been to enough.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I dig itally.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I've been championing Singapore for a long time, but I imagine it would be expensive to film there.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    There was that girl in Philadelphia...
    How about Panama City and the Panama Canal ! They could have a plotline where someone gets a ship sideways and blocks everyone else and it clogs international shipping and all the internet retailers contact MI6 for help because they're losing millions every day and...no...wait...that would be ludicrous because (a) too much like that moment when Austin Powers gets the utility vehicle impossibly sideways in a wide hallway and blocks it completely and good grief a Bond film never would copy an Austin Powers film, right ? and (b) blocking the Panama Canal by putting a ship sideways ? Absurd...OK, gotta think of a different location.
    My dream is Tibet. I want to see Bond in Lhasa and the Himalayas! But it is obviously quite unrealistic...

Apart from that I think a return to Japan is long overdue. It is one of my favorite countries.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I forgot about Tibet, good choice. And of course, Bond went to Tibet in the JB007 Gameboy game from 1998, so there could be something to adapt there.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I forgot about Tibet, good choice. And of course, Bond went to Tibet in the JB007 Gameboy game from 1998, so there could be something to adapt there.

In general I just want to see him go to more exotic places. If he goes to Asia these days, it's in big modern cities with skyscrapers. I don't mind that specifically, but I want to see Bond amongst picturesque temples, dramatic landscapes and rural villages again. And preferably in an area of the world he has never been before.

The problem is that the more exotic the place, the bigger the logistical challenges and costs will be, and that is probably part of the reason why EON is so hesitant to film in more unusual locations. Filming in Tibet would provide additional political problems as the Chinese government surely would have strict regulations on what and where they would be allowed to film as well as the story itself. So it is more a utopian, personal dream of mine than a realistic proposition...
    Following up on your ideas -- substituting a location with someplace else can be ok, but not to be overdone, or to spend too much time of the film there. For example -- the Cuba scenes in DAD were not actually filmed in Cuba, but it was well done, and did not take up too much of the film, and was not the setting for the big climax. Were a Bond film set in Tibet, but not actually filmed there -- it could be done, but were it overdone it could just be a disappointment. One of the great things about Bond films often is that the authenticity of setting helps balance the outrageousness of the plot and the hero's fantastic ability to survive relatively unharmed and to prevail. I know they've substituted locations many a time, but usually it is not overdone. Pretty sure MR was not actually filmed in outer space, btw, even though that was the setting of the big climax...and, no, that is meant to relate to the final battle and not meant as a reference to the verrry ending of the film, with its own big climax...ahem...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Since62 wrote: »
    Following up on your ideas -- substituting a location with someplace else can be ok, but not to be overdone, or to spend too much time of the film there. For example -- the Cuba scenes in DAD were not actually filmed in Cuba, but it was well done, and did not take up too much of the film, and was not the setting for the big climax.

Although in DAD's case the climax wasn't filmed in the right location either: in fact none of the film was at all! Some of the crew did go to Iceland, but not the main unit with the lead actors, so it ended up being the only Bond film I think to not have the actors appear in a single overseas location it was actually set in! :)
    Ahh that's too bad. I did not make a big point of it, but I had the better films in mind. Of course, I would not be surprised were some of the scenes in FRWL actually NOT filmed in the referenced locations, and it's one of the best films, if not the best. It's a personal choice, but most folks certainly regard it very highly. On reconsideration, I think my point gets weakened more and more once the facts are brought to bear regarding locations. In fact, back in the days of the early films they did not have gigantic budgets. Certainly the gondola scene closing out FRWL used green screen, which also was used for the hearse-chases-Sunbeam scene in DN. Back then, green screen did not look so great.
  • Although I really hope that sooner or later Bond will visit a country in sub-Saharan Africa, as the main location for Bond 26, I was thinking of Dubai. An inspired director could play on the contrast between the ultra-modernity of the city but also the arid desert nearby in which 007 could be abandoned by the villain. From a cinematographic point of view, filming the city at night would be magnificent and would contribute even more to this contrast.

fakedubai_typoland_fstoppers.jpg
    jpeg_max-ad46c2ead31619ae3d1ec3d801134d6f.jpeg
    Could anyone film in Dubai if other parts of the film involve things regarded there as offensive ? Drinking, promiscuity, the ladies' attire, etc...
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 1,215
    This has been on my mind recently as I am outlining my first fan creation, a screenplay for a Bond 26 reboot concept. So far the locations I'd love to have Bond visit are

Tehran, Iran

Singapore

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Rocky Mountains (Banff, Jasper and area), Alberta, Canada Skip to 30s in video

Canada ? CANADA ? Was there a law passed forbidding EON from using Canada, Australia or New Zealand as a setting for a Bond film ?
    As for Dubai, the Mission Impossible folks already went there, and used it for an AMAZING stunt. So using the Burj Khalifa would be unlikely. With the tallest building in Dubai already having starred in M:I - Ghost Protocol, then how about using the building which might be the prettiest ? The Burj Al Arab -- which looks like a sail, with a helicopter landing and takeoff pad near the top. Sandstorm ? Already done in Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol. The Burj Al Arab is very attractive and unique, and it is located on the water, so perhaps it could be used in a creative, original way which would not evoke M:I - GP and invite uncomfortable (for EON) comparisons.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Since62 wrote: »
    Canada ? CANADA ? Was there a law passed forbidding EON from using Canada, Australia or New Zealand as a setting for a Bond film ?

I’m sure Canada could be used in many locations. It’s got some utterly stunning scenery.
    And so to do Australia and New Zealand. However there’s not a lot in the Oceanic countries. Hard to think of a threat that could originate in either.
    Maybe the villain could house their base of operations in the Australian outback in an abandoned mine or something????
    I’m sure EON will use one of these locales one day.
    One day they’ll get bored of using Italy 😉 maybe.
    Iran, Singapore, and Croatia are all fantastic choices. Wouldn’t mind a return to Brazil too - it’s been over 40 years.
  • Benny wrote: »
    I’m sure Canada could be used in many locations. It’s got some utterly stunning scenery.
    And so to do Australia and New Zealand. However there’s not a lot in the Oceanic countries. Hard to think of a threat that could originate in either.
    Maybe the villain could house their base of operations in the Australian outback in an abandoned mine or something????
    I’m sure EON will use one of these locales one day.
    One day they’ll get bored of using Italy 😉 maybe.

Perhaps it is the proud Canuck in me, but I hope if they do film in Canada at some point that it appears AS Canada. We’ve given up too much beautiful scenery/glory in the names of other locales.
  • This has been on my mind recently as I am outlining my first fan creation, a screenplay for a Bond 26 reboot concept. So far the locations I'd love to have Bond visit are

Tehran, Iran

Singapore

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Rocky Mountains (Banff, Jasper and area), Alberta, Canada Skip to 30s in video

To be honest, after all the last installments that saw Bond travel to several countries each time, I would like to see Bond 26 set in one main location, or at least in one geographical area.

Of all you suggestions, that I quite like, the first two would be the ones I would really want to see in the future and that could individually serve as a main location for a whole movie. While I don't have anything against Bond going to Canada, Tehran and Singapore seem much more fascinating to me.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    e4438d1030095e5f1dd7380e550f6533.jpg
    Dubrovnik, Croatia. A narrow street like this just seems Bondian to me. It's also a beautiful city

Best-things-to-do-and-places-to-visit-in-South-Africa.jpg.webp
    Cape Town, South Africa. I could imagine there being a chase on a winding road like this and again it's another varied place to shoot different parts of the film

57e40361d7486e564ae934006094c498.jpg
    Salzburg, Austria. This also could double as a colder location if needed

I'm sure wherever the story takes Bond, they'll be new and exciting locations. I'm really happy with the ones chosen in NTTD
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    e4438d1030095e5f1dd7380e550f6533.jpg
    Dubrovnik, Croatia. A narrow street like this just seems Bondian to me. It's also a beautiful city

Best-things-to-do-and-places-to-visit-in-South-Africa.jpg.webp
    Cape Town, South Africa. I could imagine there being a chase on a winding road like this and again it's another varied place to shoot different parts of the film

57e40361d7486e564ae934006094c498.jpg
    Salzburg, Austria. This also could double as a colder location if needed

I'm sure wherever the story takes Bond, they'll be new and exciting locations. I'm really happy with the ones chosen in NTTD

The last photo is not, strictly speaking, Salzburg but Hallstatt some 50 miles southeast of it. My favourite place in the world, and I'd totally watch a Bond shot there, though they already filmed Spectre at nearby Altaussee and, IIRC, another Bond at Mondsee. But yes, the Austrian Alps and the lakes are stunning.

Your other two choices are great too, though I suspect Dubrovnik has been overexposed because of GoT... maybe the Kotor bay in Montenegro could work?
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fsimplesail.com%2Fassets%2Fimages%2Fcontent%2FArticles%2F0087-1080.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Other than that, if I were to pick places based on the "pretty factor", regardless of the plausibility of a spy plot taking place there, and avoiding the locations already used in other Bonds, I'd agree with the choices of Singapore and Australia/New Zealand - gorgeous, and new places for Bond. If they keep it in the region, they could add locations in Indonesia, such as Borobudur or Sulawesi:
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.LeTZyGsCXrFlM13SfB2bvwHaDj%26pid%3DApi&f=1
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fres.klook.com%2Fimages%2Ffl_lossy.progressive%2Cq_65%2Fc_fill%2Cw_1920%2Ch_720%2Cf_auto%2Fw_80%2Cx_15%2Cy_15%2Cg_south_west%2Cl_klook_water%2Factivities%2Fwmqlwp1pwtwy0a7nrnqu%2FBorobudurTempleSunriseGuidedJoinInTour.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
    Thailand and Myanmar are also great, but Thailand was "done" (badly) in TMWTGG and Myanmar is likely off-limits for filming. And I am not suggesting Japan because of YOLT.

Elsewhere in Europe, any of San Sebastian (Donostia) in Spain,
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Flp-cms-production.imgix.net%2F2019-06%2FGettyImages-163188684_medium.jpg%3Ffit%3Dcrop%26q%3D40%26sharp%3D10%26vib%3D20%26auto%3Dformat%26ixlib%3Dreact-8.6.4&f=1&nofb=1
    Porto or Coimbra in Portugal,
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fsunairvakanties.blob.core.windows.net%2Fimages%2Fporto-porto-stedentrip-03162016043244-1330x490.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
    Nice,
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.bhR62YrCI6cNq7R_qpmCjAHaDt%26pid%3DApi&f=1,
    perhaps with a detour to the Gorges du Verdon,
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.ferRSBtraWjbyqBPWlvCYgHaD-%26pid%3DApi&f=1
    Lugano
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.MTIgaQ0IAhQ04E5Wvq4eoAHaCk%26pid%3DApi&f=1
    Portofino
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.eYeOvKKYgIsY2tdKlVPavgHaE7%26pid%3DApi&f=1
    or Capri
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Z3VYKMnI7PB_W2r5s6KBigHaDz%26pid%3DApi&f=1
    could make a pretty cameo as rich baddies' playgrounds or some such.
    Conversely, places like the Azores,
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Xm8E03bdNozHV9Ss-E3pXAHaDD%26pid%3DApi&f=1
    or Lake Bohinj in Slovenia
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.4K5vuuB2aEmlZZxIo2GVqgHaEc%26pid%3DApi&f=1
    or the Plitvice lakes (too touristy?)
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.8xoJ-owpQ08huH1ZdXBMxAHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1
    or Krka in Croatia
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.x4-QJdyK-uqWPdSuYU2tsAHaDt%26pid%3DApi&f=1
    could make for a pretty natural backdrop, so long as the writers can find a reason to take the action there.

Realistically, a modern-day espionage plot is most likely to take place in China, Russia or the Middle East, but there is not much chance the respective authorities will allow to film a spy plot there now, so it may be better to look for options nearby. Dubai, maybe? Not my favourite place by any measure, but suitably flashy and cosmopolitan. Or the ex-USSR Central Asian states, like Uzbekistan (it has cities with beautiful old tiled palaces and madrasas)
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.7ro3gpWgyBpBKucztFs-ewHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1
    or Kyrgyzstan (little-known, has mountains and a big unspoilt lake).
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.ZNeQy35biVFJCNwUh6h0mgHaDr%26pid%3DApi&f=1
    Or Baku in Azerbaijan, as a Dubai-lite
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.DEgcXTJHAKgjM5BbBEzUIwHaEp%26pid%3DApi&f=1
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Great suggestions here.

Surely EoN are aware that there are very obvious, cinematically aesthetic areas that need to be used first, before we go back to Italy or the Caribbean...
    • Indonesia (though might be a logistical nightmare)
    • Central/West/Eastern Africa (Cameroon, Nigeria, Tanzania, to name but a few)
    • Portugal (hasn't really been explored, bar moments in OHMSS)
    • Israel, Lebanon, Jordan (apologies for lumping them in as one, but hey...)
    • Canada
    • Oceania
    • Antarctica (probably to be doubled for by Norway or Finland...)
    • Luxemburg

Ok, the last one was a joke :>
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Luxembourg is a pretty lovely place.
    I think it’s time to return to Brazil. Moonraker was a longggg time ago.
  • MeanwhileMeanwhile Brooklyn
    I’m not well-traveled enough to throw in any suggestions, but please give us fresh and new locations. I’m sick of Italy and other places we’ve been before, or are created at Pinewood.