The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    "If you actually believe..."

The ideological purse clutching is real.

So you do believe @BeatlesSans is actually in charge? What are you smokin'? Be careful though, that stuff is probably illegal and since you vote Republican, it might not become legal in a very, very long time.
    Shall we go to day #2 of the convention?

Although I firmly disagree with most of the GOP's ideology and party platform, Donald Trump Jr's speech was actually quite good. And I wonder if he has some political ambitions. It's as rousing and positive as Obama's speech from the 2004 DNC convention, but ideologically completely the opposite of that famous 2004 speech:

Guys? Anyone?!?!?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

So you do believe @BeatlesSans is actually in charge? What are you smokin'? Be careful though, that stuff is probably illegal and since you vote Republican, it might not become legal in a very, very long time.

Actually I'm closer to a Libertarian in the American sense or a Classical Liberal. I'm not American so I don't vote in their elections, however I can identify with how they have been relentlessly bullied for over 2 decades by the authoritarian left who control the media and academia.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Gustav_Graves, it was a good speech. Genuine, from the heart, and like his half-sister's, showed that Trump Sr. is a tough but down to earth and caring father and that his son is a bright, ambitious, articulate and knowledgeable chap. He came across a bit 'corporate' (to be expected given his role/job perhaps) unlike dad (who's a bit more folksy) but still very sharp.
    How much of what he said in the speech, one has to wonder how much of it he actually believes. That was written by a team of speechwriters, and one of them actually self plagiarized his own article in the speech.

He's good at giving speeches, but he and his family are not conservatives. They're liberals running an insurgency on the right.

His proposed deportation force will grow the government, not shrink it as a conservative would want. The wall will be another massive and expensive government program, and one that is completely unnecessary.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Gustav_Graves, it was a good speech. Genuine, from the heart, and like his half-sister's, showed that Trump Sr. is a tough but down to earth and caring father and that his son is a bright, ambitious, articulate and knowledgeable chap. He came across a bit 'corporate' (to be expected given his role/job perhaps) unlike dad (who's a bit more folksy) but still very sharp.

I loved his speech. Verbally he is very much as impressive as Barack Obama and Jack Kennedy. But, obviously, ideologically he's very very different from Obama. Oratory a lot in common, ideologically stark contrasts.

In all honesty? If the GOP is smart, they let Trump Jr. get a bigger voice. Perhaps even support him to run for governor, or perhaps even the biggest office.
    Both Donald Jr. and Ivanka are terribly impressive as surrogates.

I think they can be impressive in more than just being surrogates.

Don JR is very effective reading a speech. That's pretty much it.

I think they can be impressive in more than just being surrogates.
    If Trump loses (which is quite likely based on all polls to date) these two have a future in the party if they want it based on their comportment to date, although I believe Ivanka is an Independent. It is Donald Jr. who is a full fledged Republican.
    I now predict that sooner or later @Gustav_Graves will board the Trump Train™.
    :bz
    dalton wrote: »
    Don JR is very effective reading a speech. That's pretty much it.

Is Don on the phone?
    I now predict that sooner or later @Gustav_Graves will board the Trump Train™.
    :bz

Never! I never support their ideology. I'm too much centrist and progressive. But I do think that Donald Trump Jr. really is the personification of how the GOP once was and should become again: Liberal on social issues (gay marriage, abortion, religion, etc), but conservative on fiscal and economical issues. At least, I think he's like that deep in his heart.

But I do think that Donald Trump Jr. really is the personification of how the GOP once was and should become again: Liberal on social issues (gay marriage, abortion, religion, etc), but conservative on fiscal and economical issues. At least, I think he's like that deep in his heart.
    The irony is that Donald Trump himself is more like that than you know and than he has let on. As I've said countless times, he had a Republican primary to win, against the odds, and he did what he had to do to win it, which is his modus operandi. Now he has an important speech to give, and let's see what he wants the nation to know about him and his views.
    But I do think that Donald Trump Jr. really is the personification of how the GOP once was and should become again: Liberal on social issues (gay marriage, abortion, religion, etc), but conservative on fiscal and economical issues. At least, I think he's like that deep in his heart.
    The irony is that Donald Trump himself is more like that than you know and than he has let on. As I've said countless times, he had a Republican primary to win, against the odds, and he did what he had to do to win it, which is his modus operandi. Now he has an important speech to give, and let's see what he wants the nation to know about him and his views.

Ooowh, but let me be clear. It goes perhaps further than that. He perhaps has to loose the elections so then it can give Trump Jr. a jumpstart. I think that's what will happen. Which is an irony in itself too. Because luckily people will still be smart enough to punish Trump Sr. for the sheer shit he had to tell to...actually win primaries. That's beside the point though. It gives Trump Jr. a much cleaner podium. And verbally, luckily he is more articulate and nuanced like his mother Ivana Trump.
    If the GOP has any hope of surviving as a party, they need to drive the Trumps out of the party.

Conservatism will never regain a foothold as long as these liberal insurgents hold prominent positions in the GOP.
  • "If you actually believe..."

Actually I'm closer to a Libertarian in the American sense or a Classical Liberal. I'm not American so I don't vote in their elections, however I can identify with how they have been relentlessly bullied for over 2 decades by the authoritarian left who control the media and academia.

So the left was in control even during the Presidency of GW Bush. What color is the sky in the world in which you live, @Mendes? The media over here is controlled by their ownership, that is, millionaires. The only side the media really favors is whoever's going to provide a nice fight. Ever seen any Fox News? Watch it for a few days and then tell us some more myths about the authoritarian left who controls the media.

Ooowh, but let me be clear. It goes perhaps further than that. He perhaps has to loose the elections so then it can give Trump Jr. a jumpstart. I think that's what will happen. Which is an irony in itself too. Because luckily people will still be smart enough to punish Trump Sr. for the sheer shit he had to tell to...actually win primaries. That's beside the point though. It gives Trump Jr. a much cleaner podium. And verbally, luckily he is more articulate and nuanced like his mother Ivana Trump.
    Which is very well what will happen. At the end of the day, I have strongly felt that the GOP ideology for the last 20 yrs at least has been bankrupt (economically). A disgrace to be honest. Trumpism has hopefully killed that once and for all, and if he loses, they will hopefully come out with some more practical solutions to the nation's ills as a result of this insurgent campaign & its impacts. Demographically, they have no choice.

At present, economically, both these parties are too much 'in the tank' for the very interests that threaten the country's long term future. Namely: banks, the military industrial complex & large corporates.

EDIT: I have always thought Bob Dole to be a good and decent man, and I was happy to see him there on Day 1. Although a senior member of the party, he always struck me as being forward leaning, unlike some of the idiots (quite frankly) and ideologues that they have fielded over the years.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Shall we go to day #2 of the convention?

Although I firmly disagree with most of the GOP's ideology and party platform, Donald Trump Jr's speech was actually quite good. And I wonder if he has some political ambitions. It's as rousing and positive as Obama's speech from the 2004 DNC convention, but ideologically completely the opposite of that famous 2004 speech:

Guys? Anyone?!?!?

Donald Trump Jr. isn't running for office. The fact that the media are dissecting this kid's speech tells us something about the lack of substance coming from the GOP. The only Republican candidate who had any substance was Kasich, and he got buried.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

You are quite aware that Libertarianism and classic liberal thinking are opposites? Lberal thinking stems from the French revolution and has never aimed at a 'small government'. Au contraire (that's French!) it's basic rules are that the state provides healthcare, education and safety. In that way everyone starts out with the same chances in life. That's far more state meddling with your life then libertarianism.

I have not seen any 'relentless bullying' the Republicans. I HAVE seen the Republican party endlessly bullying Obama on his beeing a 'black muslim' and asking for his birth certificate. Or claiming that gun control was the same as taking away a basic constitutional right (even though they do agree with the usefullness of drivers' licence). Should I o on nah, I think you get the gist of it.

But please entertain us with examples of this 'bullying' of the 'authoritarian left who control the media and academia'. Like the increadably leftist Fox news, btw?

You are quite aware that Libertarianism and classic liberal thinking are opposites? Lberal thinking stems from the French revolution and has never aimed at a 'small government'. Au contraire (that's French!) it's basic rules are that the state provides healthcare, education and safety. In that way everyone starts out with the same chances in life. That's far more state meddling with your life then libertarianism.

I have not seen any 'relentless bullying' the Republicans. I HAVE seen the Republican party endlessly bullying Obama on his beeing a 'black muslim' and asking for his birth certificate. Or claiming that gun control was the same as taking away a basic constitutional right (even though they do agree with the usefullness of drivers' licence). Should I o on nah, I think you get the gist of it.

But please entertain us with examples of this 'bullying' of the 'authoritarian left who control the media and academia'. Like the increadably leftist Fox news, btw?

Actual Libertarianism most resembles classical liberalism so you're wrong there.

Also, the media and Academia aren't just left wing, they're all radical believers in thirdwave intersectional feminism, cultural relativism, rape culture, something called "the progressive stack" and so forth.
    There is no surprise why we have such low voter turnout in the USA : the pollsters, media, and politicians only talk to 30% of the people and they go ass over balls to suppress the vote. If we could get the numbers like Australia or Canada has, our country would look very different. I can assure you.

I just hope and pray that everyone gets out and vote. I believe that Clinton is going to take the Trumpster to the woodshed in the first debate...

Actual Libertarianism most resembles classical liberalism so you're wrong there.

Also, the media and Academia aren't just left wing, they're all radical believers in thirdwave intersectional feminism, cultural relativism, rape culture, something called "the progressive stack" and so forth.

Wrong. Are you also a LSE graduate?

Now, I thought you wanted a discussion. Kim Davis's private life. Please defend.

FLeiter wrote: »

Wrong. Are you also a LSE graduate?

Ah, appeal to authority, a common fallacy. I'm afraid merely stating credentials isn't an argument.

No, I'm just a common pleb. You know, the kind the left feigns concern for when it suits their agenda.

And with regards to this woman you are presenting me, why would I give a flying f*ck? She has individual responsibility like the rest of us. I'd have to be a collectivist to assume that her actions in any way represented some larger group.

Good one, Commander. It's obvious you should start charging them for the education they slept thru.

The convention has been a disaster, highlighted by Trump's 3rd wife's face plant. Trump was so ridiculed, he took his plane out of town on Tuesday. Tons of empty seats on the main floor and first tier of seats. The speakers have been boring and glaring absence of Republican leaders-No Romney, no Bush Jr., no McCain, No Palin and no Bush Sr. Bob Dole showed up, God bless a true hero.

The 4 days of the convention are the last 4 days that they control the message until November. And they've choked. They had a highly promoted women's event on Monday, expecting hundreds of Republican women all behind Trump. No one showed up.

With regards to Kim Davis, true conservatives should condemn her in very much the same way that our liberal counterparts have done so. True conservatism is built on the idea of limited government, the government not intruding into the lives of the average citizen. The government is there to collect taxes, provide basic services, national defense, etc. It's not there to legislate what happens in the privacy of one's home, especially when those actions do not in any way effect anyone else.

Kim Davis went to work for the government. She has to abide by those regulations, which are that nobody is discriminated against and that she must follow the law as it is written and interpreted by the courts. She signed up for that. She has the right to resign her position if her employment puts her at odds with her religious beliefs, but she does not have a right to be employed in a role that her religious beliefs will keep her from performing in accordance with the law. That applies in any case, not just this particular one. You only have the right not to be imprisoned by the government or otherwise sanctioned by the government. You don't have the right to dictate the rules of your employment.

People like Davis, sadly, sign up with the GOP because there is a wing of the party that shelters such beliefs because they tend to align themselves a bit more closely than they do with the beliefs of the Democratic party. Over time, they have, in my view, perverted the conservative movement by giving the left the ammunition to paint all conservatives as racist bigots who only say no to everything.

I personally find there to be some decent ideas on both sides. Sometimes progressive ideas are better to solve a problem, sometimes the answer is a more conservative approach. Generally, though, I think things tend to work out best when they're in the center or just right of center. A vibrant and well-oiled conservative party is necessary, in my view, in order to keep things close to the center, just as a vibrant and well-oiled progressive party is vital to perform the same function. If actual compromise could be made, things would fall into the center, just left, or just right of center position that most solutions probably should be found in.

The problem with the current conservative movement is that it's been hijacked by those that only want to impose their views on others with no regard for the other side of the coin. It's okay to disagree on the so-called social issues, but the tactics that the far-right goes to in order to make it their way or the highway is often despicable. Reasonable people may reach different conclusions on certain things, but at the end of the day, everyone is human and should be on the same plane when it comes to the rights that they have. As is the general consensus on rights, if what I do doesn't infringe upon someone else's rights or otherwise harms them in any way, then who cares. The exact opposite is true, if someone else's rights don't infringe upon mine and don't otherwise harm me, then who cares. The right's war on marriage is rather comical, to say the least, in this regard. Two people getting married don't in any way infringe upon their ability or my ability to practice a religion.

And that's where the GOP, as led by the increasingly right-wing Tea Party, has lost the plot. Conservative principles are needed in a responsible government, in my view, but not in the way that they've been implemented by the likes of Trump, McConnell, and company. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I've made a note of those Republican leaders who have sold their souls to Donald Trump. They will never have the ability to secure my vote in any future national election. They need to turn the party over to the Nikki Haleys and the John Kasichs of the world, because this hate-fueled, racist rhetoric that the GOP is now, albeit sometimes reluctantly, backing is not acceptable to true conservatives and should be expelled swiftly from the party.
    dalton wrote: »
    With regards to Kim Davis, true conservatives should condemn her in very much the same way that our liberal counterparts have done so. True conservatism is built on the idea of limited government, the government not intruding into the lives of the average citizen. The government is there to collect taxes, provide basic services, national defense, etc. It's not there to legislate what happens in the privacy of one's home, especially when those actions do not in any way effect anyone else.

Kim Davis went to work for the government. She has to abide by those regulations, which are that nobody is discriminated against and that she must follow the law as it is written and interpreted by the courts. She signed up for that. She has the right to resign her position if her employment puts her at odds with her religious beliefs, but she does not have a right to be employed in a role that her religious beliefs will keep her from performing in accordance with the law. That applies in any case, not just this particular one. You only have the right not to be imprisoned by the government or otherwise sanctioned by the government. You don't have the right to dictate the rules of your employment.

People like Davis, sadly, sign up with the GOP because there is a wing of the party that shelters such beliefs because they tend to align themselves a bit more closely than they do with the beliefs of the Democratic party. Over time, they have, in my view, perverted the conservative movement by giving the left the ammunition to paint all conservatives as racist bigots who only say no to everything.

I personally find there to be some decent ideas on both sides. Sometimes progressive ideas are better to solve a problem, sometimes the answer is a more conservative approach. Generally, though, I think things tend to work out best when they're in the center or just right of center. A vibrant and well-oiled conservative party is necessary, in my view, in order to keep things close to the center, just as a vibrant and well-oiled progressive party is vital to perform the same function. If actual compromise could be made, things would fall into the center, just left, or just right of center position that most solutions probably should be found in.

The problem with the current conservative movement is that it's been hijacked by those that only want to impose their views on others with no regard for the other side of the coin. It's okay to disagree on the so-called social issues, but the tactics that the far-right goes to in order to make it their way or the highway is often despicable. Reasonable people may reach different conclusions on certain things, but at the end of the day, everyone is human and should be on the same plane when it comes to the rights that they have. As is the general consensus on rights, if what I do doesn't infringe upon someone else's rights or otherwise harms them in any way, then who cares. The exact opposite is true, if someone else's rights don't infringe upon mine and don't otherwise harm me, then who cares. The right's war on marriage is rather comical, to say the least, in this regard. Two people getting married don't in any way infringe upon their ability or my ability to practice a religion.

And that's where the GOP, as led by the increasingly right-wing Tea Party, has lost the plot. Conservative principles are needed in a responsible government, in my view, but not in the way that they've been implemented by the likes of Trump, McConnell, and company. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I've made a note of those Republican leaders who have sold their souls to Donald Trump. They will never have the ability to secure my vote in any future national election. They need to turn the party over to the Nikki Haleys and the John Kasichs of the world, because this hate-fueled, racist rhetoric that the GOP is now, albeit sometimes reluctantly, backing is not acceptable to true conservatives and should be expelled swiftly from the party.

Forgive me but you sound more like a Libertarian. You say that Conservativism is all about small Government, but that's only partially true. Conservatives seek to halt the gears of change, so they welcome any governmental body that affords them that. They also generally support the public funding of the military much more than the centre left. When you talk about small government, you're talking about libertarians. Libertarians, like classical liberals believe that the government should not plan society, and that people should be left to their own devices.
    Finally. Melania Trump's speechwriter, Meredith McIver (and indirectly Melania herself) take the blame for the plagiarism fallout:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/21/us/politics/melania-trump-speech-meredith-mciver.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Interesting is this quote:
    In working with Melania on her recent first lady speech, we discussed many people who inspired her and messages she wanted to share with the American people,” Ms. McIver wrote.

A person she has always liked is Michelle Obama,” she added.

Over the phone,” Ms. Trump “read me some passages from Mrs. Obama’s speech as examples. I wrote them down and later included some of the phrasing in the draft that ultimately became the final speech. I did not check Mrs. Obama’s speeches. This was my mistake and I feel terrible for the chaos I have caused Melania and the Trumps as well as to Mrs. Obama. No harm was meant.

She said that she had “offered my resignation to Mr. Trump and the Trump family but they rejected it,” and that “Mr. Trump told me that people make innocent mistakes and we learn and grow from these experiences.

Meredith McIver, left:
    meredith2.jpg

Obviously, I actually agree in a way with Donald Trump. This would be my normal response as well. And Melania and Meredith really meant no harm

But that's besides the point. Mr Trump is running for president now, not for a Trump real estate firm. And the big question will always be: What will happen when Trump himself moves the buttons in the Oval Office in times of....crisis? When does an innocent mistake becomes less innocent? And when can a mistake snowball itself into Nixon-ian proportions?

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    One Nation Conservatism anyone?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and believe me, you've demonstrated here that you do indeed have little.
    :))
This discussion has been closed.