The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

speech-wnting-degree-trump-university-it-makes-sense-3097658.png
    FLeiter wrote: »
    CWNbnUMUEAA6G1V.jpg

This. Over & over & over again. I'm surprised none of the real Republican candidates for the nomination brought it up during the primaries. Too late now, folks. He's all yours.

Yeah, it's quite a telling interview. But that's how democracy sadly works too at times. People using democracy as a twisted marketing tool, in which businessmen only care about adding extra accolades to their CV's. But by doing so they damage the intellect of the people.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    You know, despite her best intentions I think Melania Trump is a sweet and wonderful woman. And perhaps as empathic and kind as Michelle Obama. But, are we really asking too much from her if we want an original speech?
    From beeing very worrysome to beeing overly optimistic ;-) Sorry, but there's no chance this golddigger is a sweet and wonderful woman. Not that it matters but I find it highly unlikely.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Aren t they all vampires?
    Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the faintest vampire of them all.....
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 11,119

Conclusion: A vampire wrote Melania's speech? Or is Melania herself the vampire :-P?
    As much as I dislike Donald, to be fair, he never said the quote attributed to him in the People Magazine meme. Multiple fact check sites have looked into it and found it to be a made up quote.

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/11/bogus-meme-targets-trump/
    http://www.snopes.com/1998-trump-people-quote/
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 3,564
    Thanks for setting the record straight, @dalton. Now, do you have any pertinent facts on the vampire photo? :-B
  • This just in: Donald Trump is demanding that the remainder of the Republican convention be rescheduled for two weeks from today. He's got two kids that have to give prime time speeches, and they need to hear Chelsea Clinton's speech before they can "write" their own... :-bd
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 2,341
    the year the Republican Party destroyed itself.

The silly games that GOP leaders played when the country elected its first black president: instead of showing to the world "this is why America is great, look at our new President, all things are possible in America!" Instead of yelling this they choose to play games, attack him and his family, refuse any attempts to get right the sinking ship...and now this thing with the Supreme Court--refuse to entertain any new nominations which goes against the Constitution, their oaths of office....
    People are fed up with the broken House of Cards that Washington has become so they look for a non political animal like Trump and his rhetoric of hate, racism and xenophobic bullshit.

The GOP is crapping their drawers now as they know they have lost the Supreme Court, they are not going to win the White House, and several seats in the Senate and the House will be lost as well....

They should have thrown their weight behind Christie years ago. Now its too late: they have a circus freak running under their banner the monster they created is going to cost them everything and I saw, so be it.

hm2c9wi9fmfn4brv2jlz.jpg
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Yes, it is beyond embarrassing, this Republican convention -but that is fine with me. Expose all the spineless, bullying, evil crap that is rampant these days. All the racism, wanting to do away laws that protect our people and our environment. Look at their platform. Yes. Get it all out. Like one healthy, big vomit. Then Americans can clean up, vote better, and work together.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/opinion/the-most-extreme-republican-platform-in-memory.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Fucking sake. This is why populism keeps on winning. Because instead of treating people on the right like humans and respecting their views, the left just demonizes us, constantly calling us racists and sexists all the time. Rather than believe in diversity of opinion, they view the believes as toxic and therefore that we are toxic. What the left assumes will happen, in its arrogance, is that people with right wing views will simply disappear from existence. Actually what you are doing is uniting us. Now Trump has a good chance of becoming president and you only have yourselves to blame. Good Job.
    That's right, the people who actually VOTE for Trump have no guilt in the matter. "The Left has only themselves to blame for Trump's existence." What utter nonsense! If you've been paying attention over the course of this discussion, you'll note that conscientious Republicans like @dalton are treated with respect here...but "belief in diversity of opinion" does not translate into blind acceptance of racism, sexism, and the type of arrogant bullying that is Donald Trump's trademark style. "You have to tolerate my intolerance or YOU'RE the intolerant one" doesn't fly here, Mister!
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Shall we go to day #2 of the convention?

Although I firmly disagree with most of the GOP's ideology and party platform, Donald Trump Jr's speech was actually quite good. And I wonder if he has some political ambitions. It's as rousing and positive as Obama's speech from the 2004 DNC convention, but ideologically completely the opposite of that famous 2004 speech:

That's right, the people who actually VOTE for Trump have no guilt in the matter. "The Left has only themselves to blame for Trump's existence." What utter nonsense! If you've been paying attention over the course of this discussion, you'll note that conscientious Republicans like @dalton are treated with respect here...but "belief in diversity of opinion" does not translate into blind acceptance of racism, sexism, and the type of arrogant bullying that is Donald Trump's trademark style. "You have to tolerate my intolerance or YOU'RE the intolerant one" doesn't fly here, Mister!

You don't even realise you're doing it, that's what's so braindead about it. When one side of an issue gets to set the rules on what is allowed to be said, you're closing out so many different opinions. Its really a form of censorship. What you fail to realise is that by constantly throwing around accusations and attacks on characters, you're only uniting those you wish to destroy. You're essentially saying: "become a nice little domesticated republican like this gimp here and maybe we'll listen." Again, arrogance and condescension. If you truly wanted our believes to disappear then you would engage us in discussion, not try and bully us out of existence. That's exactly what leads me to believe that you aren't correct after all, you are simply in charge.
    Fucking sake. This is why populism keeps on winning. Because instead of treating people on the right like humans and respecting their views, the left just demonizes us, constantly calling us racists and sexists all the time. Rather than believe in diversity of opinion, they view the believes as toxic and therefore that we are toxic. What the left assumes will happen, in its arrogance, is that people with right wing views will simply disappear from existence. Actually what you are doing is uniting us. Now Trump has a good chance of becoming president and you only have yourselves to blame. Good Job.

909e6102baaf8f113ad3350ff0371231.jpg

You're free to say whatever you like. No one's stopping you. And we're free to call BS when we see it. That's a free exchange of ideas. Arrogance and condescension is what leads to terms like "little Marco" and "lying Ted" (which I suppose has now become "lying Hillary" because Trump has all the good words...just not very many of them.) If you actually believe that I am somehow "in charge" then your grasp on reality is more tenuous than I thought 'ere now!
    "If you actually believe..."

The ideological purse clutching is real.
  • If I actually had an ideological purse I'd be constantly mislaying it. Instead, I keep every thing in my ideological pockets...and per Ringo in Yellow Submarine, "I've got a hole in me pocket!"
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    the year the Republican Party destroyed itself.
    Of course. The party of people like Bush, McCain and Romney is dead. The Republican Party is not the party of religious nutjobs, homophobes and neoconservatives anymore. Remember, the Republican Party used to be great (Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Eisenhower). Trump made the Republican Party great again.
    Trump and his rhetoric of hate, racism and xenophobic bullshit.
    Utter nonsense. Trump loves America and ALL Americans, and that's what his rhetoric is about.
    The GOP is crapping their drawers now as they know they have lost the Supreme Court,
    The Supreme Court? Ha! The old Republican establishment has lost much more.
    The Republican Party is not the party of religious nutjobs, homophobes and neoconservatives anymore.

Oh Really?

7YbpwK5.png

FLeiter wrote: »
    The Republican Party is not the party of religious nutjobs, homophobes and neoconservatives anymore.

Oh Really?

7YbpwK5.png

Do you have any actual arguments, or just pictures?
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 1,661
    I see some similarity between the rise of Trump and the rise of Corbyn. Both parties seems to be struggling to find the right direction to go in and both parties have divisive leaders. It's weird because Trump is the polar opposite of Corbyn but the internal struggles within the parties are near identical. A lack of true identity and direction. Many Republicans hate Trump and many Labour MPs hate Corbyn.

I think Hillary Clinton would be a less divisive President although she has enough haters too.
    Yes, anti-establishment candidates. Trump is an important powder keg if we want to see genuine change from the current two party system. We may never get another opportunity like this ever again. With a President Trump, politics will change forever.
    Do you have any actual arguments, or just pictures?

Sure. Please defend Kim Davis's personal life for us. Should be interesting how many facts are left out.

And...I gots plenty of nice pictures.

TRUMP-SUPPORTERS-meme-39872.jpg

Why have cogent arguments when you have dank memes, am I right?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    As has been noted here, one of the primary reasons that Brexit won is because the Remainers did not prosecute their case convincingly and credibly enough. Instead they focused on fear mongering about the end of the world as we know it. Well, we're about 4 weeks on from it and the world is still around, just slightly different, which any common sense person could have foreseen.

If Donald Trump wins this election, given all the odds stacked against his 'essentially one man / family show' asymmetric candidacy which is riddled with policy holes, it will be because Hillary Clinton & all her surrogates did not make her case convincingly enough on the merits, but instead focused on sideshows. If she wins, it will be because she did. I watched a 1 hr interview she did with Charlie Rose on Monday evening, and she was quite impressive. She seems to understand the mood for change, although she was still quite defensive and aggressive when questioned on the email server by Charlie. Interestingly, I find her temperamentally prickly when challenged, and always have. She will have to work on that prior to the debates, which she is still heavily favoured to win convincingly.

Her $20m in negative advertising against Trump in the last two months has shifted the dial, but not sufficiently enough, which will probably concern them. If they do more, it could play into Trump's hands, which I'm quite certain the flap about Melania Trump's speech has done over the past few days as well. Another sideshow.

Unfortunately, the one thing that unites grass root Republicans (I'm not talking about 'bought' members of Congress now, who will blow in the direction their well heeled benefactors tell them to on the issues irrespective of party affiliation) is Hillary Clinton, and that is why I've said from the start that she was the wrong candidate for the left to field in this election, despite her 'historic' candidacy.

Against all the odds, Trump has personally done a pretty good job of not putting his foot in it during this convention to date (although there are still 2 nail biting days to go), and I'm looking forward to his convention speech to see what his vision is for the country going forward, now that he is the official presumptive nominee. He will have to knock it out of the park and assure those on the fence about his intentions if he wants to stand any chance of winning this election, which demographically and financially still heavily favours Clinton.

Make no mistake, Clinton still has a formidable advantage, and Trump will have to be essentially error free from now until November to convert enough of the electorate still on the fence that he's worth the long shot.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 8,195
    bondjames wrote: »
    As has been noted here, one of the primary reasons that Brexit won is because the Remainers did not prosecute their case convincingly and credibly enough. Instead they focused on fear mongering about the end of the world as we know it. Well, we're about 4 weeks on from it and the world is still around, just slightly different, which any common sense person could have foreseen.

If Donald Trump wins this election, given all the odds stacked against his 'essentially one man / family show' asymmetric candidacy which is riddled with policy holes, it will be because Hillary Clinton & all her surrogates did not make her case convincingly enough on the merits, but instead focused on sideshows. If she wins, it will be because she did. I watched a 1 hr interview she did with Charlie Rose on Monday evening, and she was quite impressive. She seems to understand the mood for change, although she was still quite defensive and aggressive when questioned on the email server by Charlie. Interestingly, I find her temperamentally prickly when challenged, and always have. She will have to work on that prior to the debates, which she is still heavily favoured to win convincingly.

Her $20m in negative advertising against Trump in the last two months has shifted the dial, but not sufficiently enough, which will probably concern them. If they do more, it could play into Trump's hands, which I'm quite certain the flap about Melania Trump's speech has done over the past few days as well. Another sideshow.

Unfortunately, the one thing that unites grass root Republicans (I'm not talking about 'bought' members of Congress now, who will blow in the direction their well heeled benefactors tell them to on the issues irrespective of party affiliation) is Hillary Clinton, and that is why I've said from the start that she was the wrong candidate for the left to field in this election, despite her 'historic' candidacy.

Against all the odds, Trump has personally done a pretty good job of not putting his foot in it during this convention to date (although there are still 2 nail biting days to go), and I'm looking forward to his convention speech to see what his vision is for the country going forward, now that he is the official presumptive nominee. He will have to knock it out of the park and assure those on the fence about his intentions if he wants to stand any chance of winning this election, which demographically and financially still heavily favours Clinton.

Make no mistake, Clinton still has a formidable advantage, and Trump will have to be essentially error free from now until November to convert enough of the electorate still on the fence that he's worth the long shot.

Yeah, its going to be one of the closest elections ever. Trump has at least another 4 months worth of terrorist attacks to work with. His message will only get stronger.
This discussion has been closed.