The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Live right now: Trump's "big" announcement, which is that Chris Christie is now endorsing him.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/video/yahoo-news-special-report-180000670.html
    Well, this sure is better than Sarah Palin! Trump and Christie. Now that's a team one shouldn't mess with.

A New Yorker, a New "Jerseyer"..... and an Alaskan who can see Russia from her house.

Interestingly, both his endorsers have had "bridge to nowhere' controversies.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'll be voting for Bernie in the primary and then whole-heartedly supporting whichever Democrat gets the party's nomination.

What if Bernie runs Independent?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I'll be voting for Bernie in the primary and then whole-heartedly supporting whichever Democrat gets the party's nomination.

What if Bernie runs Independent?
    No one will want a tragic repeat of the Ralph Nader situation I don't think.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    What would happen if they nominate Sanders and afterwards he decides to join the Republicans? Maybe he is a saboteur for the Republicans, who knows!!
    I live in a world where Donald Trump is being seriously considered for President & Skyfall is considered one of the best James Bond films.
    I just don't get it...
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 725
    [/quote] @bondjamesbond.

BORING?

Then I don't want to know what would qualify as interesting with you...

Republican candidates mud wrestling during the debates perhaps?
    :)) [/quote]

Totally right. The stuff going on in the Republican debates is a wild food fight. Entertaining and scary as all hell. Never seen anything like it. Having the current Republican leading candidate repeatedly call the last Republican president dishonest is unprecidented, and that's just for starters.

Those who will walk away sucking their thumb because their guy lost in their party's primaries and not vote in the general election always create the same result. It is simple history that the Presidency is all about the Supreme Court which is currently filled with many very old judges. Walk away, you will create a similar result to the Bush, Gore, Nader contest where millions voted for Nader and literally elected Bush. You'll insure getting a President who will fillthe court with justices that rule for 30 years against everything you believe in, not to mention start wars you don't support. You know, small things like this.
    The problem with Trump, Sanders or Hillary being the next president is that they are essentially a lame duck president with a Republican congress doing fuck all for any of of these three unless it is more money for the army.
    That's why I think folks should consider the 'Trump card'. At least The Donald has more chance of pulling the right wingers into line (being of the same party).

I don't think there is any way the hated Hillary can do that. They will obstruct her as much as they obstructed Obama, and moreover, we'll get more of the 90's circuses (this time they will waste taxpayer money and time digging into the Clinton foundation, speeches etc.)

Bernie, nice guy though he is, is going down.

Bottom line - I think a Republican president can be more effective with the other branches of govt than a Democrat.
    Trump as President, will single-handedly kill all those Tea-Party fools.
    Just for the Republican Party's sake, Trump would be the best that can happen.

I think the question, the voters should ask themselves is if they want a continuation of the last 8 respectively 16 years, then vote for Hillary or Rubio.

Trump at least will leave no stone unturned. And from where I'm standing (Switzerland) that seems to be the best way to go, even if it is risky.
    No risk, no fun.
    But Trump will not be a republican president, he will be in essence his own man and while bartering for his wishes he will give away a lot that involves the average Joe/Jane. A lot of democratic principles will get thrown out of the window in favor of big business who will do grand while the middle class will get hammered again and the 1% will become richer.
    Internationally he will be considered a dangerous clown with a effing large army at his bidding who will alienate the rest of the world even more than the US has manged to do since their daft response to 9/11.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    But Trump will not be a republican president, he will be in essence his own man and while bartering for his wishes he will give away a lot that involves the average Joe/Jane. A lot of democratic principles will get thrown out of the window in favor of big business who will do grand while the middle class will get hammered again and the 1% will become richer.
    I don't think this is correct. Given the platform he has run on, I don't see him taking this approach. If anything, he will have the leeway to raise taxes on the wealthy and offer some relief for the middle class. He is more populist than some think. At least rubbish trade deals will be renegotiated under his watch. Bottom line - inequality really can't get any worse than it is now, and believe me, Clinton doesn't give a toss about it. She only started spouting it since Obama and Bernie brought it up.
    Internationally he will be considered a dangerous clown with a effing large army at his bidding who will alienate the rest of the world even more than the US has manged to do since their daft response to 9/11.
    This is true, but the enemies will be concerned about a possible 'crazy person' in the White House and may think twice before daring him.
    Bottom line - the nice approach hasn't worked in my view. The world is more dangerous now than it was when Obama took office, and it was bad decision making and judgement that led to the situation in Ukraine and Syria.

I always remember that Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld were very experienced, and that Hills wanted the Iraq war. Sometimes experience is a bad thing. Judgement is always a good thing. not saying Trump has it necessarily, but I know Hillary does not.

One thing I know for sure based on his remarks - he is not one to engage without thinking it through.
    Send in a nut to fight the nuts....?
    I think that people forget that the result of this more unsafe world was invading and destabilizing of the Middle East prior to Obama's reign, as well as the financial crisis that happened before his watch as president. The result being that a mess had to be cleared up that was military even worse than going there in the first place. And financially not was allowed by congress and what not in changing the deregulation of the financial world that has been happening since a certain Republican president Reagan.
    Ever since Obama how many terrorist attacks did happen on US soil, by imported terrorist?- The US has a bloody great border protection that does keep the baddies out. As for domestic terrorists you have to be bloody lucky to find them before the fact. SO Obama does a great job there too.
    Trump will turn back the medical care for everybody because that money is better spend fighting overseas. Will give businesses better options paying people less and earning even more, will piss off the rest of the economical world by his stupid demands. Which will result in war with his allies.

Ukraine was a rerun from the previous Krim war, in which the world was also opposed to a crazy Russian ruler bent on saving his face and flexing his muscle. There was little to stop him unless you favor another all out war.
    Syria is the result of the US war on Muslims [oops I meant to say Terrorism, which has been fueled by a stupid and ill advised war industry] which has cost the US so much money which could have been used to repair its infrastructure and domestic economy 20 times over. So in a sense the Terrorists did win because the American way of life has been disrupted and changed them into scared of foreigners and willing to exchange their democratic rights for Big Brother.

This election will show us more of the worlds "greatest" democracy in action and with professional politicians being payed for and bought by big business it all looks a lot scary to the rest of the world.
    This election will show us more of the worlds "greatest" democracy in action and with professional politicians being payed for and bought by big business it all looks a lot scary to the rest of the world.
    It looks scary RIGHT HERE!!!
    :-O

And so it should, and this is not aimed at the presidential candidates but the whole power system in Washington. It seems to have broken down.....
    Agreed, but I think that's why you go either Trump (it's a risk but he could surprise you for the better - he really has something to prove and doesn't need the money - sometimes a man's ego can lead him to do good things) or Bernie. The rest are going to give you more of the same.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Agreed, but I think that's why you go either Trump (it's a risk but he could surprise you for the better - he really has something to prove and doesn't need the money - sometimes a man's ego can lead him to do good things) or Bernie. The rest are going to give you more of the same.

It really surprises me that in a year where everyone seems to be demanding change and a throwing out of the establishment, that Bernie's momentum seems to have come to a crashing halt, especially against Clinton who, regardless of what one's opinion of her actual work in the government is, has shown herself not to be a particularly good candidate.
    She is a good candidate, compared to the Republicans who really have no flipping clue. Trump will be self serving to begin with and it will probably end him as well.
    dalton wrote: »

It really surprises me that in a year where everyone seems to be demanding change and a throwing out of the establishment, that Bernie's momentum seems to have come to a crashing halt, especially against Clinton who, regardless of what one's opinion of her actual work in the government is, has shown herself not to be a particularly good candidate.
    I read somewhere that it is the African American vote in particular (especially women) that is helping Hills. He is not doing too well there because Hillary and Bill have built up close trust with the community. Having said that, perhaps he can do better as they get to know him - if he lasts long enough for that to happen.

And so it should, and this is not aimed at the presidential candidates but the whole power system in Washington. It seems to have broken down.....
    It's not so much that it's broken down as much as it's been BOUGHT.
    Kind of how fascism grows....
    She is a good candidate, compared to the Republicans who really have no flipping clue. Trump will be self serving to begin with and it will probably end him as well.

Most people would be considered a good candidate next to Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, and the rest of the Republican clown car.

I think she's proven herself to not be a great candidate over the years. She should have run away with the 2008 election and then stumbled through most of the start of this round until just recently. Maybe she's finally hit her stride as a candidate, as she seems poised to put Bernie away much earlier than anyone would have thought a month ago. She is a much better candidate now than she was a few months ago and certainly better than in 2008.

But, to say that someone isn't a good candidate doesn't necessarily speak to the quality of their work (although, full disclosure, I don't care for Hillary one bit and won't cast a vote for her unless the Republicans force me to). On the flip side, Jeb Bush is, by the accounts of everyone who has met him and gone to his rallies and whatnot, a decent man and a very smart when it comes to the issues, much moreso than his Republican counterparts, but he's just terrible at the candidacy part of the process.

dalton wrote: »
    On the flip side, Jeb Bush is, by the accounts of everyone who has met him and gone to his rallies and whatnot, a decent man and a very smart when it comes to the issues, much moreso than his Republican counterparts, but he's just terrible at the candidacy part of the process.
    Jeb does seem like a decent enough fella, and quite different from his bro. Perhaps closer to pops. It just wasn't his year, but he is another one who may have been able to rein in the lunatics on his fringe. The Bush brand is pretty much done nationwide thanks to GW imho, and I think people misread that. Bush was only really viable against Clinton (both dynastic) but the Trump machine killed him dead.
    Jeb does seem like a decent enough fella
    Please. That stupid as*hole posted a picture of his governor stamped GUN to impress us.
    Dick.
    Jeb does seem like a decent enough fella
    Please. That stupid as*hole posted a picture of his governor stamped GUN to impress us.
    Dick.
    Desperate times. He was going down. Look what Marco is doing now. The clown act. It's a tough business, politics. If I were Bernie, I'd step it up because his clean guy act can only go so far against the Hillary machine.
    If I were Bernie, I'd step it up because his clean guy act can only go so far against the Hillary machine.
    It's him. If he goes down, it will be because America WANTS to buy into the fear they so readily swallow due to the lack of education the powers that be have set up for the poor fools. And in that case, freedom will mean shit, and we as a country deserve what subjugation to the corporate system we get.

But I have faith that Bernie will destroy expectations.

I realize it's him and that he's a decent guy, but nice guys finish last and this is a contact sport which he presently is losing. Bring up the emails and finish Clinton.
    I think before March 1st, nothing is certain. After that we will know which two candidates will run for President.
    My bet: Trump and Clinton

and it could be much worse, even if it is sad that it is so.

Rubio or Cruz against Sanders would definitely mean Rubio or Cruz will be the next President and does anybody sane really want that??
    nice guys finish last
    As long as this is true, we are screwed and we should accept that.
    8-|
    nice guys finish last
    8-|
    This is part of the US DNA. As much as the constitution imho. Combative. He has to show more fight. When he dropped the email thing, he was pretty much throwing in the towel.
    nice guys finish last
    8-|
    This is part of the US DNA. As much as the constitution imho. Combative. He has to show more fight. When he dropped the email thing, he was pretty much throwing in the towel.
    To quote Pris, "Then we're stupid and we'll die."
This discussion has been closed.