The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Obama was more than good.
    In fact he is very not-bad.
    If Trump becomes President? And Boris British Prime Minister? I am chartering a private jet to Galapagos!
    I will breathe car fumes.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    If Trump becomes President? And Boris British Prime Minister? I am chartering a private jet to Galapagos!

There's a Canadian island offering to take in Americans if Trump is elected president. Maybe they'll expand the offer to people of other nationalities as well.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd move into a Hollowed out Volcano in Japan somewhere. ;)
    Watching a story on CNN where they're asking people to just identify who each of the presidential candidates are by looking at a photo. It's actually quite frightening when these people who are voting don't know who the candidates are. Nobody knew who John Kasich was. Someone mistook Ted Cruz for Marco Rubio.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'd move into a Hollowed out Volcano in Japan somewhere. ;)

FTW!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I will breathe car fumes.

Could you practice tonight?

Ha ha!
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 565
    TripAces wrote: »
    Problem is, Trump has given the DNC terrific sound bytes that will play really well in September and October. His bigotry and sexism won't play well when the chips are down.
    What makes you think that sound bytes are going to have any effect? They've already played them to death and he is still leader of the pack. He is a polarizing character who as already been proven to be like Teflon. It seems to me that those that despise him are blinded by their own ideology to even begin to recognize the movement that Trump has initiated (which Bernie is riding on). Whether it will carry him to the White House will have to be seen, but it may be something that the dems may regret wishing upon themselves.

To illustrate, I have two coworkers who typically vote democrat, but classify themselves as independents. They've expressed to me that they are not fond of Hillary because they believe that she fits into the "good ole boys" club and that she hasn't been honest with the scandals that she's been linked to. When asked if they like Trump, I was told that they like the fact that he is (more or less) self funding his campaign and that while they certainly don't agree with him on some issues, he at least is open and upfront about where he stands. Just sayin'.

Edit: One last comment: As someone who's had to get a visa in Europe, I can appreciate the layers of bureaucracy that you need to fight through just to be there legally for a short window of time, let alone to stay permanently. But as far as illegal immigration goes, what about it being illegal to you not get? If you ignore or bend one law, then at what point is it okay to ignore or bend another? Who gets to bend the rules and who doesn't? I understand the humanity side of immigration, but honestly, it's a disgrace to those who come legally. Saying "no" to illegal immigration is not saying no to immigration and it seems disingenuous to paint it otherwise.
    Looks like the pundits' thought process that stated that as more people dropped out of the race, the gap between the establishment and Trump would narrow were wrong, at least in Nevada. Trump is currently sitting at 46% of the vote, an increase of about 12-13% of the vote from the last primary.

It's starting to look like Trump is inevitable at this point. CNN has him projected to do very well on Super Tuesday next week, according to the Big Board they were showing off tonight. It's a shame that the GOP couldn't come up with another candidate other than the awful duo of Rubio and Cruz that they ultimately narrowed it down to. Surely there's a decent Republican out there who could serve as a better president than Trump/Cruz/Rubio.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 565
    dalton wrote: »
    Looks like the pundits' thought process that stated that as more people dropped out of the race, the gap between the establishment and Trump would narrow were wrong, at least in Nevada. Trump is currently sitting at 46% of the vote, an increase of about 12-13% of the vote from the last primary.

It's starting to look like Trump is inevitable at this point. CNN has him projected to do very well on Super Tuesday next week, according to the Big Board they were showing off tonight. It's a shame that the GOP couldn't come up with another candidate other than the awful duo of Rubio and Cruz that they ultimately narrowed it down to. Surely there's a decent Republican out there who could serve as a better president than Trump/Cruz/Rubio.
    Kasich?
    (He's been my favorite, but it seems to be almost a curse, because I seem to be good at picking the ones that never win. Ugh, I hate primaries...all they do is pull candidates further away from middle ground where you could actually win a general election.)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    This debate on Thursday is going to be critical. Watch for major attacks by everyone (including CNN) on Trump. If he can withstand it, then he's on his way. Thursday will be the day when we know if he can handle it or will implode.

His Nevada numbers are on account of less evangelicals. People underestimated how impressive his SC win and Iowa 2nd place finish were, since those were large evangelical states. When he gets out of those areas, he will do even better.

PS: The Dems are so silly. In their excitement to cast the party insider and great scion Hillary as the candidate (not realizing that failed Dem candidates don't normally come back and win on the next go around, unlike Repub ones) they ignored the one candidate who could have taken the fight to the Repubs given the public mood - and it isn't 'Bern': It's Elizabeth Warren. A smart woman with Bernie's attributes and none of Hillary's flaws. Fools.
    A lot of people tried to get Elizabeth Warren to run. From what I understand, she had no desire to run for the office.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, that's correct. However, I'm sure some weren't so keen on the idea, given their permanent position right up Hillary's behind. If there would have been more support for her from the big wigs, she may have been persuaded. There is something very authentic about her - the polar opposite of Hillary imho.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It's Trumps race to lose. I don't think people will attack Trump now, Rubio and Cruz are fighting for second place. That's an important battle to win before taking on Trump.

But it makes no difference, Trump is the nominee NOW. Cruz is too extreme to do well outside of his small base of evangelicals, and Cruz hates the establishment as much as Trump, so he won't give way to allow Rubio the chance to break through. Short of some miracle, Trump will glide to the nomination.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Trump's numbers are staggering - more hispanics voted for him in Nevada than all the other Rep' candidates put together. Christ, Trump had more votes than 2nd place Rubio and 3rd place Cruz put together.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    12 years ago, I was very wrong.

Never ever did I think it possible that the American voters would re-elect George W. Bush.

8 years ago, I was very wrong.

Never ever did I think it possible that the American voters would actually elect a black President.

2016: I am very wrong?
    Never ever do I think it possible that the American voters would put Donald Trump into the White House.

Go figure.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 725
    Cruz has no chance. It is not even his politics. He has an awful smug personality and whiny voice. He's just thoroughly unappealing. I have a lot of conservative Republican friends and even they can't stand him.

It's gonna be Clinton/trump. It won't be Rubio unless Trump screws up, and then Trump will hand it to Clinton. His negative ratings even among Republicans are huge, people are afraid of his temperament and the Dem base with an extra serge in Black and Hispanic voters will kill him. The Dem's will bombard Trump with ads about all the negatives in his background. Hillary's bad stuff is already out there. Trumps is not.

I wish the Dem's could have come up with a fresh, experienced recent Governor like Ted Warner of Va., but the smartest ones don't want the misery and scrutiny that comes with the job. Hillary has too much baggage and she is too old, but at least she is not an idiot, and knows exactly what the job is about. Bernie is toast. He'll be killed off in most of the remaining primaries and Clinton owns the big # of unpledged super delegates that are mostly Dem party types. She'll get it unless something unforeseen occurs during the rest of the primaries. If something crazy happens, then Bloomberg could be a real wild card as a third party candidate but time at some point will run out on that option. It's wacky getting on all 50 state ballots as a third party type,, but he has the deep pockets to have already done the ground work.
    Trump's numbers are staggering - more hispanics voted for him in Nevada than all the other Rep' candidates put together. Christ, Trump had more votes than 2nd place Rubio and 3rd place Cruz put together.

I heard that a lot of the data that the press kept quoting re Hispanic votes in Nevada for Clinton and Trump was not accurate as it was based on faulty samples. But I may be wrong. Nate Silver of fivethirtyeight.com has the best site in the US for statistical predictions and data analysis on both politics and sports. He use to be with the NYTimes, but broke away. He's has an incredible track record for accuracy.

Bernie will surprise y'all. B-)
    3 wins for Trump now? The future is looking very unstable!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    3 wins for Trump now? The future is looking very unstable!

Let him win the primary. He's the best candidate the Republicans have. He'll lose the election anyway.
    Feel the Bern.
    Nothing to panic about. Only if Hill is the nom imho.
    She'll go down fighting tooth and nail, like last time. This won't be easy. She's super tough. Makes Trump look like a pussycat. He doesn't know what he's in for. He should check with Obama.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Cruz frightens me much more than Trump. Cruz has an ideology and ideas that would make the world wish for George W. Bush to be back!

Trump is all show and entertainment. He is harmless. He would be a showman president and a very, very strong leader figure. And maybe, that is, what the US desperately needs.
    What harm could he do that hasn't long been done by George W. Bush/Cheney and Obama.
    Hillary on the other hand would just be an extension of the Obama era. Would that be more desirable?

Sadly, the more capable and good candidates are already out of the race, and sad as it is, I even have to count Jeb Bush into that category.
    Cruz has no chance. He just doesn't realize it. Trump has stolen his thunder. If Trump wasn't around, Cruz would have been a real threat.

I believe the Republican party is being reshaped due to Trump. Whether he wins or not, the party and the ideology will never be the same again. That's a good thing after 36 years of stagnation. Having said that, where they go from here is anybody's guess.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Cruz has no chance. He just doesn't realize it. Trump has stolen his thunder. If Trump wasn't around, Cruz would have been a real threat.

I believe the Republican party is being reshaped due to Trump. Whether he wins or not, the party and the ideology will never be the same again. That's a good thing after 36 years of stagnation. Having said that, where they go from here is anybody's guess.

=D>
    @Birdleson, I'm just winding you up. I can tell you're quite passionate about Hill's. I'm ok with any of them really. The Military Industrial Complex has been running things for decades anyway, along with some lobby groups. I don't think much will change.
    It wasn't that. It's the overall panic and lack of looking at the real politic that starts frustrating me. Nothing against any of you. I just know myself. I'm better off keeping away.
    ......cuckoooooo....

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
    :))
  • Wrong thread, @chrisisall. Put it on "Sir Henry's".... 8-}
This discussion has been closed.