The General Music Thread

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,727
    Nice hardware there.

I generally listen to blues rock and all it's offshoots (Cream, Stones, Led-Zep, Mayall, any pre-1980 Clapton), some jazz (Mingus, Hancock, M.Davis) and certain conventional classic rock bands like Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits.

Hence my love for John Barry is more than just 'of Bond', as I appreciate the shared musical DNA with many of the above.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Currently on my cd player:

THE LOTUS EATERS-A TRIBUTE TO DEAD CAN DANCE
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I own an MP3 player but when I want to truly listen to music it has to be on my turntable.
    I do own a set of decks from my DJ days but these days it's my Rega Planar RP3 that I listen to my vinyl on.

I personally don't think there is any substitute for listening to music on a record player. It's great that vinyl is seeing somewhat of a renaissance. Although people should think of buying a decent turntable before blowing their wad on new or second hand vinyl. You aren't going to get the benefit playing them on a Crosley or the like, quickest way to wreck your collection. I've probably got around 1000 + LP's, 100 12" and about 60-70 7"'s.

It appears that people are wanting more than just a virtual item they want something to touch and feel, plus the sound out of your lap top speakers is hardly giving you music at it's best, if this is how you listen to music it wouldn't really matter if it's brick walled or not.

The mastering of digital music does it no favours. Compare that to an all analogue pressing. I have a good few rather expensive audiophile pressings, my Dusty In Memphis is not to be beaten or My Miles Davis Kind of Blue recently issued by Mobile Fidelity Audio Lab, taken from the original master tapes is truly sublime.

No it's not cheap but I don't get all this getting music it for free, if it is free no wonder it sounds so rubbish.

I have quite an eclectic taste, rock, dance, Jazz, Hip Hop, Easy Listening, Soundtracks. To be honest I'll give any genre a chance although I draw the line at Happy Hardcore that is just noise and there is no justification for it.

Some of my favourites are Pink Floyd, U2, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Queens of The Stone Age, The Rolling Stones, Bowie, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Kate Bush, Prince, Massive Attack, Portishead, Alice In Chains, Stevie Wonder, Bob Dylan, The Arctic Monkeys, Deus, John Frusciante, Elvis Costello, Mark Lanegan, Suede, Public Enemy, Bjork, Beastie Boys, Herbaliser, The Beatles, Jack White, The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather, David Gilmour, Roger Waters, Leftfield, Tricky, Cat Stevens, I have all these artists in my collection.

I also while not a huge jazz fan have a good few albums but I particularly like Miles Davis.

I also have grown quite a Frank Sinatra fan over the years and last year purchased second hand the Capitol Years box set on vinyl, which I dip into now and then, there is no substitute for the sound of Ol' Blue Eyes.

I also have a quite a few soundtracks, All Barry Bond's on vinyl plus LALD & SWLM. I have a number of Barry scores, Lion In The Winter would be one of my all time favourites. I also have Once Upon A Time In America, one of my favourite scores, up there with OHMSS. Taking of Pelham 123, Jaws and also The Thing among my collection.

With the exception of Death Proof I own all the Tarantino films soundtracks including my most recent purchase The Hateful Eight, such a great score.

I don't tend to listen to music in the week and prefer my weekends when I can kick back grab a pile of vinyl from upstairs and bask in some great music for a good few hours.

I'm not a sportsman and can't stand football, music and films are my bread and butter.
  • RC7RC7
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I also while not a huge jazz fan have a good few albums but I particularly like Miles Davis.

Do you have any Coltrane?
    RC7 wrote: »

Yes I have Blue Train but should really seek out more, I also have some Mingus and Bill Evans.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK

You aren't going to get the benefit playing them on a Crosley or the like, quickest way to wreck your collection.

This is where I very nearly went wrong. My previous turntable had gone bust and I was on the lookout for something new. Due to budget restrictions I started to look at the Crosley and Steepletone players. I thought they looked decent enough so I read reviews. Don't get me wrong there was plenty of positives, but the negatives seriously outweighed them and, as you say, quick way to ruin your collection.

Luckily, I ended up having the Sony system (pic on page 1) donated and I bought a 2nd hand, what looks like 1970's, Teleton record player (ok, so not hi-spec, but the sound is very decent and no ruining of my records).

Ok I don't think I'll find too many fans buuut....is anyone here hyped for Kanye's new album?
  • RC7RC7
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Ok I don't think I'll find too many fans buuut....is anyone here hyped for Kanye's new album?

Klownye.
  • I only listen to Bond music, ABBA and disco from the 70s
    Have changed the thread title. Think it more appropriate that it just be what it is now, purely about music, that's it. So we can still about what we are listening to now etc.
    Nilsson, all day Nilsson
    JBFan626 wrote: »
    Nilsson, all day Nilsson

Great choice. One of my all time favourite songs:
    Excellent taste Sir

Love that one.
    Had a scour of the charity shops over the weekend but didn't find too much, just a couple of Poison 12" singles and the first ever Hits album. Both for 99p and in good condition so decent bargains.

In one charity shop though, I know the fella who prices up the records and, unfortunately, he prices them way too high for what they are. He's charging way over the odds for records I can easily go on to Ebay and buy much cheaper. A little frustrating really because I'd rather buy them in the charity shop but don't wanna pay more that they're worth.
    Been listening to the soundtrack to 1986 rock, horror movie Trick Or Treat for that last couple of days. Watched this movie many years ago, features cameos from Ozzy Osbourne and a role for Gene Simmons. Anyway, got the vinyl soundtrack out and had a listen. It's from a band called Fastway and has some really good 80's rock tunes on it; the title track being my favourite.

edited February 2016 Posts: 1,727
    RC7 wrote: »

Yes I have Blue Train but should really seek out more, I also have some Mingus and Bill Evans.

If you like Blue Train & Evans then check out Stan Getz, in particular the album 'Stan Getz & Bill Evans' (1964)
  • RC7RC7
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I saw 'jazz' and 'Coltrane' pop up, and immediately had to jump in. Who else is a huge Coltrane and/or jazz fan here like I am? Coltrane's 'Blue Train' is probably my favorite song of all time.
    That is a great track from The Cure.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I saw 'jazz' and 'Coltrane' pop up, and immediately had to jump in. Who else is a huge Coltrane and/or jazz fan here like I am? Coltrane's 'Blue Train' is probably my favorite song of all time.

I actually find John Coltrane's efforts on Davis' 'Kind of blue' to be his best work...
    That, and 'A Love Supreme' I suppose.
    Is anyone planning on attending any concerts/festivals at all this year? Haven't got any down for myself as yet but am hoping that Guns N' Roses announce some dates over here in the near future as I'd, obviously, like to go and watch them.

I am, however, taking my daughter to Manchester for The X Factor tour as she's a fan of some of the entrants on that. Really can't wait X( But, as long as she's happy it's fine I guess. It was either that or Little Mix 2 weeks later, which the wife is taking her to.
    Last concert I watched was with this band
    Received something in the post yesterday that I haven't bought for a good few years; some blank cassette tapes. Man, I seem to be going backwards. But, will be fun putting a few compilations from my own music collection together.
    Currently listening to old Nick. Great live act.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I've got Blue Train on a recent Blue Note release from a few years back, it's mono and directly from the original master tapes but no other Coltrane at the moment.

My in to Jazz is Miles Davis, I remember back in 1992 when I first started working in music retail I met this guy who came to work at the shop I was in. He asked what I liked at the time I was pretty fixed in my tastes mostly rock Pink Floyd was my favourite band (and still is). I'd recently been turned onto Prince and Achtung Baby had made me a huge U2 fan.

He introduced me to Miles Davis, most people probably come to Miles through Kind of Blue or the Gil Evans collaborations but for me it was Bitches Brew. I think he thought the fusion of rock and Jazz being a big Floyd fan who's earlier work had a more free form jam sound about (particularly Echoes).

I grabbed a copy on CD and put it on and put on my headphones. I've been a Miles fan since. He did say that KOB was his favourite album but thought it too Jazz for me, I actually bought my own copy year or so later, I'd got Tribute To Jack Johnson & In A Silent Way before that.

I know it sounds a cliche being the best selling Jazz of all time and the album most people will have despite not really being into Jazz but Kind of Blue sounds like heaven to me. I'm a big fan of Milestones, Porgy & Bess & Sketches of Spain among others.

I recently got the new Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab pressing of KOB, mastered from the original tapes and I've never heard this album sound so impressive. I also have Bitches Brew, Tribute To Jack Johnson, Round About Midnight, Milestones, Sketches of Spain in the same series. They are high end audiophile pressings that sound sublime.

I also have some of the classic Bob Dylan albums in the same series and not a CD or download version is going to touch them.

I know I should probably explore more Jazz and do have other bits and pieces but Miles has always fascinated me, I've read his autobiography and also Ian Carr's excellent bio as well. Don Cheadle's film also intrigues me.

The thought of firing up my turntable and placing some top quality vinyl and dropping the needle down and sitting back and immersing myself in the sound is one of my greatest pleasures. I just don't think you can get the same effect from tacky I POD set up whatever people think especially with all the brick walling that CD's and downloads are subjected to these days.

You could say vinyl is about nostalgia and I know some of it's renaissance has come from people thinking it's hip but I think a certain group of people just want more than what a download can give you and for my money record beat any other format on a quality basis hands down.
    A recent Telegraph article asking "What is the greatest album ever". What this list does is give the greatest albums in various categories, such as Rock, Hip Hop etc. And at the end, it gives us, what they feel, is the greatest album ever. Have to say that some of the albums I have never heard of, never mind listened to. I know a couple on here will be happy to see Miles Davis in the list for the Jazz category. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/what-is-the-greatest-album-ever/