The General Music Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Listening to Henryk Gorecki currently. Pieces in Old Style.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,151
    Got home last night and the wife was at work so I threw on my vinyl copy of Iron Maiden - Live After Death ; for me, one of the best live albums I've heard. Hallowed Be Thy Name is a joy to listen to live.
    Right now a little Madrugada on my player.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Listening to the album "John Carpenter's Lost Themes." It's pretty amazing.
    Did anyone catch the BBC4 Documentary, Britain's Most Dangerous Songs. The title is a bit much I'll admit but it was a documentary on 10 songs from the 30's to the 2000's that had been banned by the BBC. I watched it the other day out of curiosity and was surprised and some of the tracks on there that had been banned for one reason or another by the BBC. I was pretty surprised at some of the artists on that list, from George Formby to the Sex Pistols and Bing Crosby to Mott The Hoople. Worth a little watch if you have an hour spare.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b048wwlk
    Listening to My Bloody Valentine right now.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,151
    I think congratulations are in order to Bond theme song singer, Adele, on her 4 Brit Award wins last night.

On another note, disappointed that the only UK date for the Iron Maiden world tour is the Download Festival. Would loved to have got the chance to go see them, not seen them live in a long time.
    Just read the news re: Brian Johnson from AC/DC risking total hearing loss if he continues to gig with the band and that their US tour has been postponed. They may end up having a guest vocalist for re-arranged shows for the rest of the tour. This will be a shame as he's a helluva front man, being with the band since 1980 after taking over form the late Bon Scott.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35751399
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair

Can't beat a bit of " Right said Fred" :)
    Haha, as much as I ain't a fan, I seem to do that tune at any karaoke going on in pubs that I go in.
    I'm sure, everyone sings along. :))
    Listening to this great Irish band currently.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Finally secured a vinyl copy of David Bowie's Black Star and gave its first spin this morning. Have given time for it to wash over me and get under my skin I can say this is an extraordinary record.

I always wondered what my reaction to this album would be, the hype surrounding it and inevitabilty of listening to it in the light of his recent death. While 2013's The Next Day was a very good album it did suffer from outstaying it's welcome not lots but definitely some filler in there. Yes some of Bowie's finest work in sometime but lacking some editorial control. This album Bowie's final in his lifetime has no such problem, only 7 tracks and each as vital as next. Trying to listen to it without thinking of his fight with cancer is futile so why bother? An extraordinary set of lyrics, the title track referencing a cancerous lesion. Lazarus clearly also addressing his condition and mortality.

Will this album effect me the same many years from now? I don't know but the emotional impact of hearing it today in light of his recent death has effected me deeply and can only say if this is his final word and nothing else surfaces as it has been said more material is possible. If this is the last thing it's more than a fitting epitaph to one of the most incredible and talented performers of all time. Ashes to ashes dust to dust but we'll nevet forget you Thin White Duke.
    Here is one for @4EverBonded

edited March 2016 Posts: 4,151

Great Canadian band.
    Well, today is the day I take my daughter to The X Factor concert in Manchester. Help.......
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,043
    The teaming of The Godfather of Punk Iggy Pop and the genius of Josh Homme has yielded some incredible results. Pop latest album and collab with Queens of The Stoneage's singer songwriter Pop's Post Depression is an exciting blast of brilliance with the singer being more than capably backed by Josh Homme, Queens and Dead Weather member Dean Ferita & Arctic Monkeys drummer Matt Helders.

Although Homme's influence is evident Iggy hasn't sounded this alive since his Berlin era. Already having had an extraordinary swansong from David Bowie, this and a new Last Shadow Puppets album on the way, 2016 is shaping up nicely musically.

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/10/469693145/first-listen-iggy-pop-post-pop-depression?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=rock
    Ok, so I went to The X Factor concert with my daughter on Saturday. Have to say it wasn't as bad as I had dreaded at all. Good, fun atmosphere and a decent family friendly gig. I'll never, ever, buy any of their music for myself but my daughter loved it.
    Anyone else looking forward to Record Store Day 2016. Lots of excellent limited edition releases for the day from bands such as Metallica, David Bowie and more. I'll be looking to get hold of a copy of the Iron Maiden track, Empire Of The Clouds, a 12" picture special edition being released for this day. Hoping to get a copy on the day rather than have to pay an extortionate price from the vultures on ebay.

http://www.recordstoreday.com

http://www.recordstoreday.com/News

Anyone else looking forward to Record Store Day 2016. Lots of excellent limited edition releases for the day from bands such as Metallica, David Bowie and more. I'll be looking to get hold of a copy of the Iron Maiden track, Empire Of The Clouds, a 12" picture special edition being released for this day. Hoping to get a copy on the day rather than have to pay an extortionate price from the vultures on ebay.

http://www.recordstoreday.com

http://www.recordstoreday.com/News

Record Store Day is all fine and dandy but I think it's original intentions have been lost and it's just all the big labels with some of the indies tussling to put out as much product as possible and not much of it is that exclusive and just creates more opportunities for the Ebay scalpers to rip you off.

I have a number of the frieinds who work in the independent music trade and they say as much themselves.

I'm a veteran of the trade myself right up till 2007 was in music retail, 17 years, 6 of those working for one time music retail independent giant Fopp until they folded in 2007, who at one point were biggest indie in the UK.

Fopp stores around the UK are owned by HMV and while they adopt all the same look and ethic these are nothing to do with the original legacy of those stores.

S.O.B ( Get me a drink )
    This one is for you, @Master_Dahark: