The 'For Your Eyes Only appreciation thread'

13»

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Question that popped into my head thanks to @Benny behind the scenes thread.

Is FYEO the only Bond film where both the PTS and the ending are tonally off from the rest of the movie. I love the PTS and find it a fun way to start the movie, but the light tone is a bit off from what we will see shortly on screen.

The ending, after some cringeworthy endings in Spy and MR we get the most OTT ending of any film. Thatcher and her Hubby and a parrot? Wow it doesn't really belong with the rest of the movie.

I have gone from my memories and I can't recall another Bond film where the PTS and the ending don't really fit with the rest of the movie? Am I wrong?
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    thedove wrote: »
    Question that popped into my head thanks to @Benny behind the scenes thread.

Is FYEO the only Bond film where both the PTS and the ending are tonally off from the rest of the movie. I love the PTS and find it a fun way to start the movie, but the light tone is a bit off from what we will see shortly on screen.

The ending, after some cringeworthy endings in Spy and MR we get the most OTT ending of any film. Thatcher and her Hubby and a parrot? Wow it doesn't really belong with the rest of the movie.

I have gone from my memories and I can't recall another Bond film where the PTS and the ending don't really fit with the rest of the movie? Am I wrong?

FYEO is really inconsistent in tone, mainly because it's trying to remind the people that it's still a Moore Bond film.

For all the groundedness in the film, there's the hockey players trying to kill Bond, there's that ski chase in Cortina that felt it belonged to a far more fantastical Bond film, Bibi Dahl scenes, that big underwater mascot, and even the score (this was more obvious in the car chase scene at the beginning of the film, the score didn't fit the tense of the car chase, the score was just cool and relaxed, yet the car chase was action packed, just didn't fit).

Die Another Day also comes to mind, but only the PTS, it felt different from the rest of the film, it starts off brutal and violent but the rest of the film felt like watching almost an entirely different Bond film.

Same for the ending of FRWL, with that waving hand tape in the end, felt very comedic, although the rest of the film was a bit gritty.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Yes, the PTS and ending are tonally off, but there are moments in the Citroen chase and ice hockey fight which are in the same vein, a bit jokey too. For me, none of this takes away from the overall package - it's a real decent entry and interestingly, for years now hasn't shifted around the average ranking too much, remaining at 10th to 12th place.
    Is this film a meh Bond film. What stands out about this film? I would argue that the villain is less than memorable namely because of the fact he isn't revealed as the villain till towards the end of the picture. The sacrificial lamb is an underwritten character. There is no single stand out action sequence that people will remember.

I love the film but do wonder if it's just a meh Bond film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    For me, FYEO is probably the best when it comes to the consistency of its action and setpieces. It's a thrill ride from start to finish, one with heart and some really great, scenery-chewing performances, and for that, I love it a lot.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 3,390
    The problem with this film was it's very low key, low key in a sense that it's too much small scale, there's no certain grandiosity in the film, so as a result, there's little memorability to it.

And the technical aspects of it doesn't helped either, like the cinematography, the whole filmmaking and etc.

It very felt much like a TV movie (a film that's made for a TV or an episode of a TV series), this film felt very much like that.

This film even made LTK more big scale in terms of its technical aspects, and narrative.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited August 2023 Posts: 1,006
    Absolutely love the stunts and action set pieces in FYEO: the car chase, the ski chase, the boat dragging, and my absolute favorite the rock climbing sequence. Just breathtaking. And the whole film has a sort of Mediterranean travelogue feel. Colombo is one of the best Bond allies as well. It’s tonally a bit all over the place though I must say.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2023 Posts: 14,956
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    The problem with this film was it's very low key, low key in a sense that it's too much small scale, there's no certain grandiosity in the film, so as a result, there's little memorability to it.

And the technical aspects of it doesn't helped either, like the cinematography, the whole filmmaking and etc.

It very felt much like a TV movie (a film that's made for a TV or an episode of a TV series), this film felt very much like that.

This film even made LTK more big scale in terms of its technical aspects, and narrative.

Yeah I think I know what you mean; there is something flat about it. It's the only Bond film to have that Euston Films feel.
    It does have two of the very best action sequences in the Bond films though.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    I must say when viewed on a bright, high quality 4K screen the colors do pop a bit more.
    Actually the film had some memorable parts but for the other things:
    Most people remember this film for Bibi Dahl (the girl who hooked up with Bond), the notorious Pre Title Sequence about Blofeld and his delicatessen line, the ending with Thatcher, and the talking parrot, it's those things that stands out more in the film, and those things aren't that necessary in the narrative or in the main plot, so the film had memorable moments, but for these things.
    It’s tonally a bit all over the place though I must say.

Exactly, but that's also might be my another problem with the film, with a plot that's almost blink and you'll miss kind of thing, its plot wasn't even that uncertain, because there's the ATAC plot, but there's the killing of Melina's parents, then there's this double cross plot about Columbo and Kristatos, not still mentioning their supposed pasts and rivalry that also hinging on the film, making it convoluted, so it doesn't comes off as memorable in that way.

It's trying to be the best of both worlds: Be grounded but at the same time, making the film silly too.
    I dare say that it might be more remembered for it's movie poster than anything else.

I love the film and am glad to get a grounded Bond. But like someone already offered up, maybe it's too grounded and low key for it's own good. s-l1600.jpg
    edited August 2023 Posts: 3,390
    thedove wrote: »
    I dare say that it might be more remembered for it's movie poster than anything else.

I love the film and am glad to get a grounded Bond. But like someone already offered up, maybe it's too grounded and low key for it's own good. s-l1600.jpg

Yes that poster, although, I think it's also memorable for its PTS (that helicopter scene with Blofeld).

Because everytime that FYEO was being brought up in some discussion (either in Reddit, in the comment section of YouTube or in some other sites), most people have the PTS as the first thing that's coming to their mind, that Blofeld being thrown in a smokestack, with that line, "delicatessen in stainless steel".

I think the PTS is where FYEO was a lot more remembered.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it's probably 'the one with the yellow 2CV' isn't it? Is that its most memorable moment?

It's quite funny that the ATAC plot is basically the FRWL macguffin but reversed.
    That poster was probably one of the most standout ones for me when I was growing up. It always stood out to me at the rental shop when I'd go through all the available Bond installments to pick up. It's classic.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 13,934
    Other highlights for me are when Bond first meets Columbo in his office, and the recovery of the ATAC. That whole underwater scene plays out like a horror film, with the unseen JIM diver lurking and monster-like reveal, then the Mantis sub's headlights appearing through the murk in the distance. I like how the ski scene is split into two parts rather than one continuous event.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Other highlights for me are when Bond first meets Columbo in his office, and the recovery of the ATAC. That whole underwater scene plays out like a horror film, with the unseen JIM diver lurking and monster-like reveal, then the Mantis sub's headlights appearing through the murk in the distance. I like how the ski scene is split into two parts rather than one continuous event.

That Bond/Columbo meeting is one of my favorites in the entire series. I love how they each are quick to individually prove their own motivations while forming a close alliance. He's probably Top 3 Bond allies for me.
    Its a great poster, and it always amused me how some Countries covered up the legs...or took them out altogether!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Its a great poster, and it always amused me how some Countries covered up the legs...or took them out altogether!

I saw a 1983 interview with John Landis, John Carpenter, and David Cronenberg yesterday. They were talking about how blood and violence could get you an 'R', but the least hint at sex, nudity, or even slightly 'revealing' images could get you an 'X', with huge economical consequences. I hope I'm nog the only one who is disturbed by this extremely unbalanced attitude towards sex on the one hand and violence on the other.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think that refers more to the US than most countries though, doesn't it?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    I think that refers more to the US than most countries though, doesn't it?

Actually, Cronenberg said that the situation was okay in the US but [then] very bad in Canada.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    In my opinion the stand-out stunt scene is when Bond tries to shake off the sniper on skis.

The atmosphere is tense when Bond's way back on a ski jump is blocked, so that he has no choice but to make the jump and risk being taken down in full sight by the sniper. By some fortune, another assassin on skis decides to tackle Bond halfway down the ski-jump and as both men are in the air, the sniper hesitates, only to get knocked over by Bond's skis. Men on motorcycles then follow in pursuit, trying to shoot him with machine-guns hidden in the turn indicators. The pursuit continues down a busy ski slope, crossing the crowded patio of a ski hut and finally entering a bobsled run. This is where the action hits its peak. The stunt was for real and cost one of the stuntmen in the sled his life. It speaks for the quality of the entire scene that it is not marred a bit by the accompaniment of an uninspired disco-tune.

23 years later, Wes Anderson took inspiration from this scene and re-imagined its best parts for a fantastic ski and sled pursuit in his film The Grand Budapest Hotel.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    In my opinion the stand-out stunt scene is when Bond tries to shake off the sniper on skis.

The atmosphere is tense when Bond's way back on a ski jump is blocked, so that he has no choice but to make the jump and risk being taken down in full sight by the sniper. By some fortune, another assassin on skis decides to tackle Bond halfway down the ski-jump and as both men are in the air, the sniper hesitates, only to get knocked over by Bond's skis. Men on motorcycles then follow in pursuit, trying to shoot him with machine-guns hidden in the turn indicators. The pursuit continues down a busy ski slope, crossing the crowded patio of a ski hut and finally entering a bobsled run. This is where the action hits its peak. The stunt was for real and cost one of the stuntmen in the sled his life. It speaks for the quality of the entire scene that it is not marred a bit by the accompaniment of an uninspired disco-tune.

23 years later, Wes Anderson took inspiration from this scene and re-imagined its best parts for a fantastic ski and sled pursuit in his film The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Well, we can safely say that some of the modern directors this time are at some point influenced by the directions in the Bond films.

It's just a testimony as to how Bond became one of the Hollywood symbols when there are the likes of Christopher Nolan, Steven Soderbergh, Wes Anderson, and even Denis Villeneuve whose directions have a blend of being inspired by the Bond films.