Most Under-rated Bond Movies

Comments

I do love the DAF score, especially the examples given above. Back in the pre-VCR days, I would listen to my uncle's 8-track of the film and it just conjured up a really exciting way of thinking about the film and proves how valuable he was to the franchise.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    ... which also explains why certain moments in films like LALD and NSNA are extra bad for me. Barry could've saved them, I'm inclined to believe, but Martin and Legrand settled for mediocrity at times. (Martin, at least, compensates in other scenes.)
    You have your points, but George Martin's score is the best of them all this side of John Barry's better ones. Meaning that I prefer Martin's over the lesser Barry scores, however iconic some of their cues may be. Case in point (and admittedly, maybe nothing else): TMWTGG, which has a few, but nevertheless very few intriguing tunes to offer, but that's it, while Martin's LALD score manages to keep tension high and serves the visual action appropriately during the entire movie. For the first Bond movie without Barry, LALD hit the jackpot with George Martin. And I wish they had commissioned him again rather than resort to Bill Conti or, for that matter, even Marvin Hamlish, who both provided more or less generic scores for their time period, meaning their creations are "dated". Dated indeed, at least much more than George Martin's efforts.

LALD was one of the first Bond LPs I ever owned - my mom got it at a reduced record section at a department store. While I never appreciated it when I was young, I was drawn to it more and more over the years. Before I had a VCR, I tape recorded Bond films off ABC showings and you sometimes pick up the soundtrack more and I loved certain portions that didn't make the album such as the bayou chase and such.

Buying the complete CD score elevated my appreciation for LALD even more. It certainly helps that Martin has simply one of if not the greatest theme song of them all and he does what Barry could masterfully do in weaving it into variations from slow to fast, love scenes to action. I actually prefer it to Barry's AVTAK score, my least favorite of his.
    Tend to be underrated by the general public?

The Living Daylights
    Licence to Kill
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Tend to be underrated by the Bond community?

The World Is Not Enough
    Quantum of Solace
    Octopussy
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited June 2021 Posts: 6,778
    Zarozzor wrote: »
    Tend to be underrated by the general public?

The Living Daylights
    Licence to Kill
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Tend to be underrated by the Bond community?

The World Is Not Enough
    Quantum of Solace
    Octopussy

That's a great list of films. All 6 are in my top 10 ;)
    Die Another Day.Yes it’s daft but I’ve always enjoyed it.

In fact I find most of the Brosnan era to be underrated on these boards.
  • AstonLotus wrote: »
    Die Another Day.Yes it’s daft but I’ve always enjoyed it.

In fact I find most of the Brosnan era to be underrated on these boards.

Agreed. I think all the Brosnans with the exception of GoldenEye are underrated here (especially TND)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    DAD is a blast! Way too much anger directed at this film rather than important issues going on in the world. Still deciding what's more entertaining - the film itself, or how people get really butthurt over it. :))

I find DR NO, GOLDFINGER and THUNDERBALL to be underrated entries these days. I grew up with the general perception they were among the best. They still are, IMO.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,215
    I'm with you on Dr. No, a really solid no-frills spy thriller even if it doesn't quite have all the Bond flavour there. GF and Thunderball, I really struggle with. Goldfinger and Thunderball are some of the most important Bond films as far as defining the cinematic Bond lore and "the formula" but they really don't hold up as well for me as time passes, particularly Thunderball which I don't think has aged well at all.

For me, if we are talking underrated by the general public then it's far and away OHMSS, but personally my most underrated would be LTK and QoS.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Underrated by Bond fans:
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I find DR NO, GOLDFINGER and THUNDERBALL to be underrated entries these days. I grew up with the general perception they were among the best. They still are, IMO.

I’m with you on Dr. No! Most have it in their Top 10, but I believe it deserves to be Top 5. Just an iconic spy flick, oozing with style.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I think DN has gained more appreciation on this forum of late.

TND is pretty underated, I think it might be as good as GE, except the latter had the added hype, thanks to a 6 year hiatus and video game. Also, a cold war setting also helps.
    I absolutely love Dr. No.
  • ToTheRight wrote: »

I have Dr. No at #4 at the moment, underrated in my opinion!
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    One so rarely hears a kind word said about Goldfinger...! /:)
  • One so rarely hears a kind word said about Goldfinger...! /:)

Well Goldfinger isn't underrated because it gets the love it deserves

Yeah, I was trying to choose an ironic emoji. I mean, really? "You know what movies are underrated? The early Connerys!" Come on. :))
  • As for Thunderbal

Yeah, I was trying to choose an ironic emoji. I mean, really? "You know what movies are underrated? The early Connerys!" Come on. :))

Don't forget OHMSS as well!! That's probably the most underrated Bond film!
  • QBranch wrote: »
    I think DN has gained more appreciation on this forum of late.

TND is pretty underated, I think it might be as good as GE, except the latter had the added hype, thanks to a 6 year hiatus and video game. Also, a cold war setting also helps.

With regard to TND, I agree with that. I feel like too often, the last three Brosnans are bundled together in one underwhelming, sub-par package, but TND is very entertaining.
    If you say GF is The Holy Grail and therefore underrated among fans who don't put it on top by default, I can see where you're coming from.

But for general audiences, GF is anything but underrated. 'Reviewers' wouldn't even dare to put it anywhere outside the top 3, or at the very least top 5.

Same goes for FRWL/CR/SF.
    It will be interesting to watch where GF and other early Bonds end up in future rankings. I'd also be curious to see someone who becomes a fan from seeing NTTD or the next film following it (a decade from now for all we know) and seeing their reaction to a film like GF, especially if you know nothing of the film's reputation going in.

Would any sit still for the golf match and would the lack of spectacular action seen in subsequent films make it underwhelming? A few years back there was also the discussion about the treatment of women in those early films in particular.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 1,689
    BT3366 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to watch where GF and other early Bonds end up in future rankings. I'd also be curious to see someone who becomes a fan from seeing NTTD or the next film following it (a decade from now for all we know) and seeing their reaction to a film like GF, especially if you know nothing of the film's reputation going in.

Would any sit still for the golf match and would the lack of spectacular action seen in subsequent films make it underwhelming? A few years back there was also the discussion about the treatment of women in those early films in particular.

Well, I think the golf scene will work for anyone because it was a good scene then, and a good scene now. The really gross barn scene won't play well for anyone, and already doesn't for most people. And the way the whole film's written, with characters doing things solely for the benefit of the audience, may not impress either.

It's not that modern audiences lack patience for slower scenes. I think people just expect tighter storytelling with less irrelevant, gimmicky material included.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,595
    Most underrated among die hard Bond fans: MR or DAF

Underrated among Bond fans who aren't forum dwellers like us: Probably like OP

With DAF it's less that it's underrated and more that it's misunderstood, or unfair expectations are forced onto it that have next to nothing to do with the quality of the film itself. With MR it's a hilariously arbitrary line that die hard fans draw for an already deeply silly series.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    STLCards3 wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Yeah, I think John Barry is the reason some older Bond films aren't heavily criticized. I know SP already comes with its narrative problems. But if David Arnold had teamed up with a rock band to compose the title song/score, I think SP would have been better appreciated today. I can't think of any other franchise or film where music in a way, affects its plot like it does in a Bond film.

Dubbing Radiohead's song for the film over the title sequence DOES get me in a better mood to watch the film, for sure.

Sure. It suits Kleinman's very dark title sequence. But it's funny how Radiohead's brilliant song was deemed too dark.

When forced to watch SP, as part of a marathon, this is my go to substitute. I love the song and it compliments the visuals, and the lyrics fit.

This change alone raises my score for SP by 2 points…. to a 5 😉

Most underrated among die hard Bond fans: MR or DAF

Underrated among Bond fans who aren't forum dwellers like us: Probably like OP

With DAF it's less that it's underrated and more that it's misunderstood, or unfair expectations are forced onto it that have next to nothing to do with the quality of the film itself. With MR it's a hilariously arbitrary line that die hard fans draw for an already deeply silly series.

Exactly. So many modern takes on DAF make it a scapegoat for not being the "proper" revenge follow-up to OHMSS. We got what we got. I always felt Tracy's death was dealt with in the precredits, it wasn't ignored totally.

DAF gets a sentimental nod as the first new Bond film I saw in a cinema and it always stuck with me. I confess it was my favorite for a long time. Just as some people say to just go with the ride to enjoy YOLT, I say the same for DAF.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    DAF still could have been the movie it was, but in the PTS, somehow Blofeld escapes, presumed to be dead, or isn't found. Bond gets the smuggling mission as an easy assignment to get his mind right after Tracy's death, only to encounter Blofeld being behind the whole thing. Lose some of the campiness, make Tiffany more of the Tiffany in the novel. I'll even keep the diamond encrusted satellite for good measure.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,595
    It's a dark comedy. Those who assess it and assign it quality-points based on criteria that they impose on it are willfully misunderstanding it. You don't have to like the film. God knows, it's far from perfect.

I have always said - judge the film for how well it does what it is setting out to do. To me, DAF is very clearly the only film in the series whose first aim is to be a comedy. Even MR, which is largely lampooned as silly, is going for spectacle and bombast first and foremost. DAF is razor sharp, sardonic, subversive, and frequently hilarious.

edit: We can lament that we didn't get a proper revenge follow-up. I lament that. I truly do. Same thing with QoS only tangentially following up CR (moreso than DAF, certainly, but still not as well as we'd hoped). But I don't necessarily "blame" DAF for that and then rag on it for not being something it was never trying to be.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    I’m gonna say it:
    Spectre is an underrated Bond film.

…at least among hardcore Bond fans.

I do think it has some serious problems, but to put it dead last as so many do… I don’t get it.
    It also helps if you press Stop right after Blofeld’s base explodes and just cut to Bond and Madeline riding off into the sunset 😂
  • I’m gonna say it:

I do think it has some serious problems, but to put it dead last as so many do… I don’t get it.
    It also helps if you press Stop right after Blofeld’s base explodes and just cut to Bond and Madeline riding off into the sunset 😂

+1
    I’m gonna say it:

Had it dead last for a while, but a recent re-watch of another entry made it climb a spot higher.

I'd admit there are moments that I quite like, especially in Mexico and Italy, but also the scene with Jepser Christensen and at the hotel.

After that though, it plumits and does so deeply. You did advise to just skip the last part yourself.

For me that's very telling. When the defence admits that it is indeed better to just fast-forward to the final scene at a certain point, I don't think that's a good sign.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    My only annoyance with Spectre is how the final act seems so rushed.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 1,689
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I’m gonna say it:

Had it dead last for a while, but a recent re-watch of another entry made it climb a spot higher.

I'd admit there are moments that I quite like, especially in Mexico and Italy, but also the scene with Jepser Christensen and at the hotel.

After that though, it plumits and does so deeply. You did advise to just skip the last part yourself.

For me that's very telling. When the defence admits that it is indeed better to just fast-forward to the final scene at a certain point, I don't think that's a good sign.

Well, Mexico, Italy, Altausee, L'Americain...that's a lot time spent on apparently good scenes!

But I'm happy to be the guy who defends the final act. I mostly love it. At least three great lines: "Now we know what C stands for" and "I've really put you through it, haven't I?" "That's the general idea of a safehouse."

I love the badass way Bond gets out of his bindings and takes out those two thugs.

Seeing the scar come back was a delight.

M getting in a bit on the action was done very well: he's clearly an older guy, and is not exactly kicking ass. He struggles to get away, he can't even beat up C and gets a bit lucky. Also, the whole Scooby gang aspect is not annoying to me because these people are out of a job and are aware of the present danger. If not them, who?

God help me, I like Bond shooting down the helicopter, and I like the score as it's happening. It's deeply unlikely to happen, but I don't find it all that more implausible than the fantastic maneuvers made by Bond in the climax to LTK. II love it when Bond is on a roll.

The Bond series (I think famously?) tends to have weaker third acts, and I'm happy to rank this one in the middle, at least. FRWL overstays its welcome after the fight. GF comes to a bit of a halt in Kentucky. DAF, well we all know. TMWTGG does a bunch of pointless stuff after Scaramanga is dead. TSWLM and TND could have their final action scenes cut severely without losing anything. A lot of people don't care for the Afghanistan stuff in TLD. TWINE and DAD, no need to discuss. CR; post-torture, is fairly weak sauce, with Bond emerging from some kind of coma to find he has a deep mutual love with Vesper, which has to be discussed out loud and at length. I like the SF Home Alone showdown, but it's not extremely popular.

I think tying a bomb to Swann and making Bond choose is not super interesting, and certainly a cliche, but it is at least new to Bond films...

Only bad bit for me is Swann deciding to break up with Bond at the most inappropriate possible time. WTF, Maddie?