Top 3 Favourite Scenes of a Bond Movie: Final Results

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    That reminds me of 3 further great scenes from this classic:

1. Bond giving the 'forearm jerk' to those kids who refuse him a hitchhike ride. Quite uncharacteristic for the normally civil Moore Bond, & certainly 'hip'.
    2. The Alfa Romeo GTV6 .. Great classic with superior handling.
    3. Bond giving Penelope Smallbone the flowers in MP's presence.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 2,341
    1. The Hunt
    2. Bond in the gorilla suit, checks the time @Mathis1 "ditto"

3.The climax a board and on top of the plane.

OP has always and will continue to be my favorite of the "Moores"
  • - That wild final chase
    - Everything with Steven Berkoff
    - "Sit!"

Car chase on railroads?

I include into the chase all the movie from this moment to the end. Heck, OP is one of the wildest Bonds!
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,009
    bondjames wrote: »
    That reminds me of 3 further great scenes from this classic:

1. Bond giving the 'forearm jerk' to those kids who refuse him a hitchhike ride. Quite uncharacteristic for the normally civil Moore Bond, & certainly 'hip'.
    2. The Alfa Romeo GTV6 .. Great classic with superior handling.
    3. Bond giving Penelope Smallbone the flowers in MP's presence.

I always thought it would have been nice to see Bond getting some kind of revenge. All those guys are amongst my most hated Bond characters. In contrast, I genuinely love that annoying but kind German middle-aged couple.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I'm gonna pop in OP right now, this thread has whetted my appetite.
    I always liked Steven Berkoff in this role. At the time he was a rent- a - villain for movies (Rambo, Beverly Hills Cop), but he showed how a cartoon bad guy could be done!
    I love the moment in the War Room when he clicks the remote for the screen with such venom! And his reply to Bond "What happens when the Americans retaliate?" "Against ..Whom?"
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Berkoff and Gotell had a nice chemistry together, indeed.
    1. Train scene
    2. The Car scene, after the phone booth scene
    3. Bond meets Octopussy
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Three favourite scenes in Octopussy...hmmm well this is a toughie.
    1. The Backgammon scene with Kamal Kahn.
    This is for me right up there with the golf match in Goldfinger. Bond playing a game against the villain who once again is found to cheat. Having noticed that Kamal uses loaded dice to beat his opponents, Bond decides to take the Majors position when the stakes get too high. By seemingly placing himself in an almost unwinnable situation, Bond wagers the very same Faberge egg that Kahn has just won at Sothebys as collateral. Not only showing Kahn that he has the real egg, but also that Bond is on to him. If this wasn't enough, in order to win the hand, Bond then proceeds to use Kahn's loaded dice trick against him. Knowing Kahn cannot say anything. The pay off coming with the roll of the dice and without breaking eye contact and the line, "Double sixes. Fancy that."
    It's one of the coolest Bond moments of the series in my opinion.

2. Defusing the bomb
    Now I know there are plenty of people that hate Bond being dressed as a clown. Well I for one do not. So get over it. We're all different as Bond fans. Knowing of the bomb hidden in the canon, and the time that it is set to detonate, after a mad race to get to the US airbase, Bond then has to stop getting caught, and make it into the circus tent to attempt to stop the bomb. Disguising himself in a clown outfit would seem to be a logical way to gain access to the circus and to cover his identity. Clown...circus.
    The application of makeup and detail is impressive in the time frame, but for some reason people seem to forget they're watching a movie.
    Either way, having got inside the big top, and trying desperately to convince a US general of the impending doom, along with convincing Octopussy she's been betrayed Bond has seconds to spare. As the guards grab Bond as a suspected madman, it's only after Octopussy shoots open the canon and exposes the bomb that Bond is taken seriously. The seconds tick down and Bond finally removes the detonator as the clock hits 0...talk about edge of your seat excitement. Never has a villains scheme been so close to succeeding. Even Goldfinger had a spare three ticks left.

3. Bond confronts Orlov
    It's probably my favourite scene in a Roger Moore Bond film, and possibly in the series.
    Having learned of the bomb on the train and it's known destination, Bond is seemingly caught be General Orlov within the then East Germany. In true Bondian spirit, Bond is more concerned about the atom bomb, than escaping alive. Roger Moore, more than holds his own in this scene against Steven Berkoff's wonderful over the top, crazed Russian general.
    As the plot unfolds and Bond realises the scope of their plan it's non stop excitement until the bomb is disarmed.

Honorable mentions :
    The Sotheby's auction. Taken almost intact from Fleming's short story The Property Of A Lady the scene is tense and exciting, Bond raising the price of the egg and then switching it with the fake leads to him needing to know why Kamal Kahn pays so much for it.
    The PTS. One of the series best. Action, cool gadget and a Moore payoff line. "Fill'er up please."
    OO9. The opening of the film is almost eerie as OO9 dressed as a clown (the same outfit that Bond would later use, is an idea that I really like. As if they've been in the same situation, Bond of course coming off much better)chased through the woods by the knife wielding twins and fatally wounded. But not before crashing through the window of the British Ambassador residence in Berlin.
    Dinner with Kamal. As far as I can recall this is the last time we've seen Bond wined and dined by the villain. Something I'd love to see return in the series. I love the way Kahn explains the way in which he intends to torture Bond, even though he now has the Faberge egg back.
    "True, but we don't have all the answers."
    Bond and M in Germany. It's a simple scene as Bond and M arrive at checkpoint Charlie and Bond ventures behind the then iron curtain into East Germany. "Remember OO7, you're on your own." Exclaims M.
    "Oh, thank you Sir. That's a great comfort." replies Bond.
    The train scene. Some of the most impressive stunt work on a train I've seen. Martin Grace and Paul Weston really excel themselves doubling for Roger Moore as Bond. Not only the infamous accident involving Martin Grace, but also the stunts atop the train. Diving over the pipe, and one of my favourites is when Bond exits through the roof hatch as Gobinda decapitates the gorilla suit. That bridge is awfully close to hitting the stuntman.
    The plane finale. Another great piece of stuntwork. Bond aerial legends Jake Lombard and BJ Worth performing some insane stunts on the exterior of an inflight airplane. No CGI, just balls of steel, and heart pounding excitement.
    "Go out and get him."
    "Out there!"

Infact rather than just pick three, or a handful, why not just put Octopussy on and enjoy the plentiful amount of enjoyable scenes. Alright there are scenes that we can all do without. The sit to the tiger, or the Tarzan yell. But I truly believe, OP has something for everyone. If you can get past the annoying stuff, and remember this is an 80's Bond film. Corny jokes and over the top ruled the day. Gritty and realistic weren't on the horizon at the time. If you're not entertained by OP then that's your loss. I myself enjoy it today as much as I did the first time I saw it, and I'm sure that will never go away.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Benny wrote: »
    Three favourite scenes in Octopussy...hmmm well this is a toughie.
    1. The Backgammon scene with Kamal Kahn.
    This is for me right up there with the golf match in Goldfinger. Bond playing a game against the villain who once again is found to cheat. Having noticed that Kamal uses loaded dice to beat his opponents, Bond decides to take the Majors position when the stakes get too high. By seemingly placing himself in an almost unwinnable situation, Bond wagers the very same Faberge egg that Kahn has just won at Sothebys as collateral. Not only showing Kahn that he has the real egg, but also that Bond is on to him. If this wasn't enough, in order to win the hand, Bond then proceeds to use Kahn's loaded dice trick against him. Knowing Kahn cannot say anything. The pay off coming with the roll of the dice and without breaking eye contact and the line, "Double sixes. Fancy that."
    It's one of the coolest Bond moments of the series in my opinion.

2. Defusing the bomb
    Now I know there are plenty of people that hate Bond being dressed as a clown. Well I for one do not. So get over it. We're all different as Bond fans. Knowing of the bomb hidden in the canon, and the time that it is set to detonate, after a mad race to get to the US airbase, Bond then has to stop getting caught, and make it into the circus tent to attempt to stop the bomb. Disguising himself in a clown outfit would seem to be a logical way to gain access to the circus and to cover his identity. Clown...circus.
    The application of makeup and detail is impressive in the time frame, but for some reason people seem to forget they're watching a movie.
    Either way, having got inside the big top, and trying desperately to convince a US general of the impending doom, along with convincing Octopussy she's been betrayed Bond has seconds to spare. As the guards grab Bond as a suspected madman, it's only after Octopussy shoots open the canon and exposes the bomb that Bond is taken seriously. The seconds tick down and Bond finally removes the detonator as the clock hits 0...talk about edge of your seat excitement. Never has a villains scheme been so close to succeeding. Even Goldfinger had a spare three ticks left.

3. Bond confronts Orlov
    It's probably my favourite scene in a Roger Moore Bond film, and possibly in the series.
    Having learned of the bomb on the train and it's known destination, Bond is seemingly caught be General Orlov within the then East Germany. In true Bondian spirit, Bond is more concerned about the atom bomb, than escaping alive. Roger Moore, more than holds his own in this scene against Steven Berkoff's wonderful over the top, crazed Russian general.
    As the plot unfolds and Bond realises the scope of their plan it's non stop excitement until the bomb is disarmed.

Honorable mentions :
    The Sotheby's auction. Taken almost intact from Fleming's short story The Property Of A Lady the scene is tense and exciting, Bond raising the price of the egg and then switching it with the fake leads to him needing to know why Kamal Kahn pays so much for it.
    The PTS. One of the series best. Action, cool gadget and a Moore payoff line. "Fill'er up please."
    OO9. The opening of the film is almost eerie as OO9 dressed as a clown (the same outfit that Bond would later use, is an idea that I really like. As if they've been in the same situation, Bond of course coming off much better)chased through the woods by the knife wielding twins and fatally wounded. But not before crashing through the window of the British Ambassador residence in Berlin.
    Dinner with Kamal. As far as I can recall this is the last time we've seen Bond wined and dined by the villain. Something I'd love to see return in the series. I love the way Kahn explains the way in which he intends to torture Bond, even though he now has the Faberge egg back.
    "True, but we don't have all the answers."
    Bond and M in Germany. It's a simple scene as Bond and M arrive at checkpoint Charlie and Bond ventures behind the then iron curtain into East Germany. "Remember OO7, you're on your own." Exclaims M.
    "Oh, thank you Sir. That's a great comfort." replies Bond.
    The train scene. Some of the most impressive stunt work on a train I've seen. Martin Grace and Paul Weston really excel themselves doubling for Roger Moore as Bond. Not only the infamous accident involving Martin Grace, but also the stunts atop the train. Diving over the pipe, and one of my favourites is when Bond exits through the roof hatch as Gobinda decapitates the gorilla suit. That bridge is awfully close to hitting the stuntman.
    The plane finale. Another great piece of stuntwork. Bond aerial legends Jake Lombard and BJ Worth performing some insane stunts on the exterior of an inflight airplane. No CGI, just balls of steel, and heart pounding excitement.
    "Go out and get him."
    "Out there!"

Infact rather than just pick three, or a handful, why not just put Octopussy on and enjoy the plentiful amount of enjoyable scenes. Alright there are scenes that we can all do without. The sit to the tiger, or the Tarzan yell. But I truly believe, OP has something for everyone. If you can get past the annoying stuff, and remember this is an 80's Bond film. Corny jokes and over the top ruled the day. Gritty and realistic weren't on the horizon at the time. If you're not entertained by OP then that's your loss. I myself enjoy it today as much as I did the first time I saw it, and I'm sure that will never go away.

Cracking post.

The more I think about it the more I think that OP, while it not be the Bond film I regard as the best, might be the one I love the most.

Just packed to the rafters with cracking scenes and Bond moments. Apart from the camel I can even live with the comedy tuk tuck chase because this comic relief is needed given how far they ramp up the tension in the second half.

Yes the Tarzan and the zooming in on the bird's cleavage I could do without but there's not much more I'd lose (yes I'd keep 'sit' and 'hiss off') and overall it's a gloriously rich and indulgent slice of Rog at his absolute finest.

Actually the weather's pretty grim outside might stick a pizza in the oven for lunch, get a couple of cans and settle down for a nice bit of OP.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    It's nice to see Octopussy is getting so much love. A lot of reviews are highly negative and most rankings on other sites list OP as one of the worst Bond flicks. It's not the best, but it's certainly one of the most fun and its only real flaw is the fact that it goes overboard in its comedy at times, but that's hardly a reason to consider it one of the weaker Bond films.
    Its my favourite Roger Moore Bond movie. I used to rate FYEO ahead of it, but now I think OP is better. I always find the tuktuk chase enjoyable, and the fact that the guy on the bicycle who comes between the jeep and the tuktuk out of nowhere, wasn't part of the plan is hilarious. Also you can see when the sequence switches to studio, as the photography is very different! Great scene though..apart from the double taking camel!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    LALD is Moores best Bond film along with FYEO. In these films he plays Bond rather than Roger. They also use a fair amount Fleming. Yes, so does OP. But many scenes are ruined by overt humour.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    And what are your favorite three scenes @suavejmf?
    Octopussy, 29 voters

1 = PTS = 26 Points
    2 = Train sequence = 21 Points
    3 = Defusing the bomb = 20 Points
    Next up is the last Roger Moore flick, A View to a Kill

1. PTS
    I don't get why everybody hates it, except for the beach boys song its so much fun.

2. Bond vs Zorin on the Golden Gate bridge

3. Mine Massacre
    AVTAK

This is a tough one for me. Not too much to write home about imho.

1. Eiffel Tower May Day jump
    2. The killing of Tibbet including score (chilling)
    3. Bond / Mayday in bed
  • GBFGBF
    1. Golden Gate Bridge Fight
    2. City Hall + City Hall on Fire
    3. Tibbet gets washed out
    4. EiffelTower + Mayday Jump
    5. Mayday sacrifises herself
    6. Fight at Stacy's house
    7. Bond and Tibbet in the Chateau
    8. Business meeting in the Blimp
    9. Bond survives underwater by breathing the air of the car's tires
    10. Bond and Zorin in Zorin's office.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,449
    1. Horse story/include scene's with extra Bondgirl Jenny.
    2. Watermine.
    3. Bond and Tibbet taking some fresh air outside of there hotel room. (Repeat with Mathis in CR)

Some other highlights: Eifel Tower/Eifel Tower Restaurant, Bond at Zorin party/room, Pretitle scene, Golden Gate Bridge, Bond and some others look older.

A View To Kill, my fift favorite Bond movie between FYEO and OHMSS.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    mmm…
    1. Stacey in her bathrobe - okay, so I'm shallow!
    2. PTS - just do away with the BB song and the sub.
    3. Bond and Tibbett at the Chateau, Moore and Macnee work great together.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    1.) PTS. Every part about it is entertaining to me.
    2.) Bond and Tibbett together. Their chemistry is wonderful.
    3.) Scenes in the mine.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    1. Bond and Tibbett - chemistry not seen since Bond & Kerim Bey

2. PTS - shame about the copy BB tune

3 - Death of Tibbett - very well put together.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,690
    1. PTS
    2. Arrival at Zorin's stables with Tibbett
    3. Superhero Sir Rog escaping the City Hall with Stacey on his shoulders
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Paris car chase
    Eiffel Tower pursuit
    Bond breathing air from the Rolls Royce tire.
    It never ranks high on fans lists, (though someone just put it at No. 1), and I don't rate it too highly myself, but its not a complete disaster, mainly because of Moore and macNee, but especially a couple of good villains in Walken and Jones.
    1. The Steeplechase. Compared to a lot of the action, this is played straight, and is well staged. And Moore does get quite roughed up!
    2. Paris car sequence. If they only left out that stupid taxi driver. But Remy Juliennes team stage one of my favourite stunts, namely the car smoothly jumping on the roof of the tram, and off the other side. Cool!
    3. The finale on The Golden Gate Bridge. Very well staged, and I love Zorins final manic laugh as he plunges to his death!
  • PTS
    Fire truck chase
    Zorin killing his own employees
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Zorin killing his own employees
    One of the more gratuitous scenes in a Bond film. Even today it's quite shocking to see. Zorin was truly a genetic looney: "You jeopardized mine!!"
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    This is actually harder than I thought...

1) Steeplechase/Tibbett's death/Bond is captured - What a great sequence!
    2) The Golden Gate Fight
    3) City Hall - Love the dialogue between Bond and Zorin! Also, escaping the flames.
    1. Golden Gate Bridge finale.
    2. Firetruck chase.
    3. Zorin having fun killing off his own men.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited February 2016 Posts: 5,080
    1. "Anybody else want to drop out?"
    2. Mine massacre
    3. Golden Gate Bridge finale

Honourable mentions-

Steeple chase and Tibbet's death, MayDay's sacrifice, Paris car chase/Eiffel Tower, City Hall fire

So many great scenes