What will Bond be doing in 2040?

2»

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    chrisisall wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I unfortunately will not be dead. I'll be 45.

Hey I'm 47 now ...it's not THAT bad ....trust me

Wait 'till you hit 55 like me! Dive rolls hurt a bit more & kicking high ain't all that easy without a pre-stretch. :(

Lol ..I'll keep that in mind. Craig is 47 so is Mendes I think so we're in good shape :)

• DariusDarius UK
    I think that QoS is one of the most underrated Bond movies -- certainly in recent years. It has been described as "underwhelming", "bland", and other disparaging terms by professional critics and fans alike.

However, it's a movie that keeps drawing me back to watch it, and I think the main reason for this is that it deals with a nascent issue that is likely to come for to the fore in the years to come.

That issue is eco-terrorism.

In a world of finite resources and ever-growing population, it's easy to see how natural resources, such as water (in the case of QoS), land, energy and other resources could become targets for greedy-eyed powerful multi-nationals who want to manipulate governments, or terrorists who want to inflict hurt by damaging said resources.

If you think about it, terrorists can do a lot more widespread damage in real terms if they flood thousands of acres of fertile arable land than if they set bombs off to kill a few people.

Imagine if a terrorist organisation were to develop a breed of locust capable of decimating acres of crops in a given location before dying in a matter of days or hours. The potential to bring countries to their knees is easy to see.

Imagine a virus capable of killing targeted livestock for a given time period before mutating into something harmless.

More than this, imagine a virus capable of targeting either one or several individual, or all people of a certain racial stock in a given area before mutating into something harmless. Such a virus would only target these people and would be harmless to everyone else.

And this is not science fiction, it is perfectly feasible, given our current state of technological development. It is likely that such pathogens are already in existence, just waiting to be released from some underground bunker beneath Siberia or the Mojave Desert.

Imagine Bond fighting such a threat, because this is what he is there for -- assuage our deepest fears, whilst seeking no thanks and no credit, so long as the world keeps on turning as it always has.

But how will Bond tackle such ephemeral adversaries in the years to come?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Darius, that's what I'll never get: Greene's plan is so unique, realistic, and scary (when you think of it in a grand scale of things), so I never understand how people say the plot doesn't make sense; it does, perhaps those who don't "like" it or find it "stupid" merely don't understand it.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Wait! QOS has a plot??
    :))

had to get that out ;)

Problem is no matter how good the story may be in QOS it's not memorable and gets buried under a ton of frantically hysteric editing of ALL action sequences and the fast pacing of the movie in general.
    If QOS got completely re-edited it might end up being as good as CR, well almost I guess.
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,512
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Darius, that's what I'll never get: Greene's plan is so unique, realistic, and scary (when you think of it in a grand scale of things), so I never understand how people say the plot doesn't make sense; it does, perhaps those who don't "like" it or find it "stupid" merely don't understand it.

There are various problems with it for me, but understanding it isn't the problem. I think the film attempts to service several ideas, but doesn't really explore any one of them in a satisfying manner. Had the idea of controlling the water supply been in the hands of Fleming he no doubt would have given it a very unique twist, it would've had a grandiose, bizarre thread running through it. The villain would've perhaps had some idiosyncratic connection to it. In its QoS form it's pure route one. Not only that, it never comes across as tangible. A few arty shots of taps running dry do not really cut it for me. The idea is there, and conceptually it can work, but I think it's undercooked and ultimately wasted.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    CGI Sean Connery as Bond.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited October 2015 Posts: 3,157
    - double post, please delete -
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Hopefully I'll be dead.
    If the future will be like Darius described it, then I hope I'll be dead too.

By the way, by 2040 Bond will have been in public domain for 5 years in Europe, that might affect the franchise a lot.
    Getafix wrote: »
    I hate the way digital technology - mobile phones - means you can never really be out of contact these days. That has taken a lot away from the mystique of Bond travelling the world and doing his stuff. It feels like he's constsntly tracked by MI6 these days.

That's why I'd like to go back to period Bond.

Exactly, thank you.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Plot of Bond 32:

Bond battles Hugo Drax's distant relative on the planet Mars. Drax plans to destroy the vast colony.

Filmed in 16 k Beyond Ultra HD resolution.

;)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Birdleson wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    CGI Sean Connery as Bond.

I hope you're joking, but I fear that there are those in the industry who think that type of thing is a fine idea. And if the franchise ever went that route I'd be out. Any CGI recreation of a dead person is an insult to them, their work and acting and filmmaking as a whole. There is more to a performance than a likeness (no matter how accurate) and sampled bits of past performances and programmed responses.

Dear Birdleson, think again about this.

Just imagine a CGI Connery.

Because it could be far worse (for you)

imagine....
    a CGI Brosnan !!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2015 Posts: 15,690
    There was an animated movie in France recently where they CGI-ed Louis De Funes in it. I thought it was very distasteful, and if they do that for Bond in the 2040's, it will not only put me off watching the latest films, but I will also also stop watching all the previous outings from 1962-onwards.
  • They will have the technology to place all the actors who have played Bond in each other's films. For example Sir Roger Moore in Goldfinger, Spectre, Skyfall, You Only Live Twice. Thus, mix things up and see how Daniel Craig would have looked like in The Spy Who Loved Me

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I think I know.... He'll be killing bad guys.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) " I most certainly hope so !". ;)
    I'm in my mid-sixties then and we are probably watching Bond 32 in 360 degree 3D holo decks.

I..actually randomly thought of this as well...I think that 360 degree movies might actually happen in the future...I mean there are 360 videos..so I think there might be 360 degree movies in the future.

Also...I wouldn't be surprised if dead actors are CGI-ied into movies so we might also get a Connery/Moore/Dalton/Lazenby/Brosnan/Craig/Other actors 007 movie