New members - introduce yourself

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    Thanks for the warm welcome all
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Welcome @stag, I am on AJB as well (mainly reading through the threads) and I'm sorry to hear you got banned over there.
    Political discussion obviously polarises people, it happens here too by the way but I didn't realise that on AJB you can get banned over it.
    Anyway, looking forward to reading your posts and sorry I didn't catch you sooner (I took a leave during the last 7 weeks.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    edited July 2016 Posts: 1,053
    Welcome @stag, I am on AJB as well (mainly reading through the threads) and I'm sorry to hear you got banned over there.
    Political discussion obviously polarises people, it happens here too by the way but I didn't realise that on AJB you can get banned over it.
    Anyway, looking forward to reading your posts and sorry I didn't catch you sooner (I took a leave during the last 7 weeks.

Hi @BondJasonBond006. The thing is I wasn't involved in the particular discussion! A thread had been set up by a virulent EU supporter from which he lorded it over other members by supposedly explaining the workings of the EU (but only answering easy questions). He refused to acknowledge the couple of questions I had for him & I likening his attitude & his precious EU to George Orwell's 1984 I posted the opening line of that book. Following another diatribe I then later posted the following: "Today's Airstrip One update from The Ministry of Truth. Brought to you in Newspeak. Learn. Understand. Accept." I then found myself banned without warning. I would just like to make it clear that the moderator in question stated that I had received a personal warning prior to my removal therefore implying to the membership that I had chosen to ignore that warning. This was not the case, I was banned without any such warnings.

Anyway this is a far better site. I know I've only been here a short time but my experience is the Mods here are not biased towards particular members & do a good job looking after the site.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Just for the record we are fully aware of the situation regarding happenings at AJB, and we know what did and did not happen.

We will take a similar stance if individuals flaunt rules and regs over here as well. So as long as everyone plays nice, and takes note of 'suggestions' by the mods, then there's no reason why anyone should be banned.

Welcome @Chriscoop, enjoy the discussions.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Just for the record we are fully aware of the situation regarding happenings at AJB, and we know what did and did not happen.

We will take a similar stance if individuals flaunt rules and regs over here as well. So as long as everyone plays nice, and takes note of 'suggestions' by the mods, then there's no reason why anyone should be banned.

Then you'll know I am telling the truth. I wouldn't be bothered apart from the fact that it was said that I had been 'warned personally' beforehand when this never happened.

That's fine then.
    We find that sometimes rather than give formal or friendly warnings via a personal message we will make requests within the thread eg 'Please can you avoid derailing the thread and keep the discussion on topic...'. I'm sure they did the same at AJB.

Unfortunately it doesn't always work and we get ignored. If members react to our request then it keeps things ticking along much better. :)
    stag wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »

Then you'll know I am telling the truth. I wouldn't be bothered apart from the fact that it was said that I had been 'warned personally' beforehand when this never happened.
    Just to add, I was involved in a couple of threads with stag that ended up locked down and both stag and I were insulted by a certain member, warnings were given at that point but to myself and stag, and the insults denied. It was during a future post that stag was removed. Obviously I can't state what happened on any one else's pm's but since then I've started taking Screenshots of any offensive posts to use if necessary, I'm sure this isn't needed here.
    It went like this. In response to what was being written I posted the opening line of 1984
    “It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen”

something else was written by the author of the thread & I wrote:

"Today's Airstrip One update from The Ministry of Truth. Brought to you in Newspeak. Learn. Understand. Accept."

(The next are not outright quotes as I cannot remember exactly what was said verbatim)

This was deleted by the mod who said something in the order of "Okay Stag you've made your point".

I replied: "What happened to free speech? Can you tell me what is wrong with my post that required it's deletion?"

This comment was also deleted.

I made another comment to the effect "Why have you deleted my last message too? What is wrong with it? I may as well start my own thread called 'ask stag about the EU!" (along with a winking emogi) This comment too was deleted but I had logged out by then. I knew nothing of the ban until I attempted to log in again later on.

I was told what had been said by the mod by another member with whom I am in contact outside the forum. That he said he warned me personally (IE by PM) is completely untrue but left the membership under the impression that I had indeed been warned but chosen to ignore that warning.

There are a few AJB members here who I hope will attest that I caused no trouble at that site. I did however on occasion lock horns with one particular member who enjoys the patronage of the mod team & who called me a racist/nationalist/populist because of my anti EU stance.

Thinking on it unless you have access to PMs & such you cannot be sure I am telling the truth, however you do have my word.

As said - & a few people from AJB know about my background - I don't like to be lied about & the remark that I had been personally warned was just that.

I guess we can draw a line under the whole sorry affair - indeed this would have done beforehand hadn't it been for my last point - the fact is they did me a favour insofar as I wouldn't have found this site.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    To be honest both @Chriscoop and @Stag are a couple of grumpy old gits. :P
    but they're very likeable old ...... =D> ....... and on many things, I find myself
    in complete agreement with them. ........ who'd have thought they'd be as clever
    as me. ;)
    You forgot to mention Extremely good looking grumpy old git! (speaking for myself not @chriscoop you understand) for we all know his looks will have suffered as a result of careless driving/road traffic accidents - completely avoidable RTAs may I add!
    As clever and also considerably younger I might add. As far as I'm aware though Stag is as old as the hills ;)
    stag wrote: »
    You forgot to mention Extremely good looking grumpy old git! (speaking for myself not @chriscoop you understand) for we all know his looks will have suffered as a result of careless driving/road traffic accidents - completely avoidable RTAs may I add!
    Typical copper, all road traffic accidents are avoidable except the ones where a hapless officer writes off the patrol car! What's the in force nick name for traffic officers again stag?

>:)
    Chriscoop wrote: »
    Typical copper, all road traffic accidents are avoidable except the ones where a hapless officer writes off the patrol car! What's the in force nick name for traffic officers again stag?

>:)

Do you mean 'The Pinup Boys' or 'The Elite'? Surely you're not referring to the 'Bravo Romeos?' (no Not Alpha Romeos!)

;)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Welcome to all new members. Hope you enjoy your time here. But let's not turn this into...
    Sierra
    Papa
    Alpha
    Mike

Thanks ;)
    Benny wrote: »
    Welcome to all new members. Hope you enjoy your time here. But let's not turn this into...
    Sierra
    Papa
    Alpha
    Mike

Thanks ;)

Roger. (See what I did there?!) It is of course okay to post random chat stuff over on the free chat thread? I just want to point something out to CC about car crashes - not his though!

Not been on in a little while so a warm welcome to all the new recent members.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thanks.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2016 Posts: 17,809
    Welcome back @RogueAgent. :)

I was a new member once.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 1,053
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Not been on in a little while so a warm welcome to all the new recent members.
    Hello & thank you. I hope to bump into you on the boards.

Cheers Stag, yeah me too, life just been a little mad lately! :)]
    21 year old girl from Leeds in the UK. :) Studied Goldfinger as part of my Creative Writing course at Uni and then after getting involved in all the hype with Spectre coming out last year, I fell in love with Bond. Nice to meet everyone.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 19,339
    Nice to meet you too, Mikah....welcome to the mad world that is MI6 !! :-h
    Mikah21 wrote: »
    21 year old girl from Leeds in the UK. :) Studied Goldfinger as part of my Creative Writing course at Uni and then after getting involved in all the hype with Spectre coming out last year, I fell in love with Bond. Nice to meet everyone.

Welcome @Mikah ;-). Can I ask you a question? Have you seen all the Bond films now?
    Hey @barryt007, hey @Gustav_Graves, thanks for the welcome! I've watched them all at some point or other with my Dad when I was young, but I'm on a mission to rewatch them all and read all the books now!
    21 still sounds pretty young to me.
    Just a bit .....how long ago that was..*sighs*.... :-?
    Young as in very young. :D interested to know how old you all are now! My Dad's favourite Bond is Connery, got to say it's between him and Craig for me from what I've seen so far. But I'll see if any of the others manage to change my mind at all.
    I'm ,er,*cough*,er....ah well,im 46 ....
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Welcome, @Mikah21!
    Bwahaha, that's not that old! Nice to meet you anyway. Hopefully once I've watched all the films through again I can get properly involved. :)