Has James Bond killed Austin Powers?

2»

Comments

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Because she was a fembot
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Goldmember did feel really forced. Every time Austin would make a joke he would always say Ayyyyye Thank you!!!! and that got really annoying.
    I think everyone has moved on from Austin Powers now! :-B
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The "fasjer" jokes in Goldmember were terrible! What is that? The Dutch don't say fasjer, neither in Dutch nor in English.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Sometimes to me anyway, it felt like Goldmember was trying to take itself seriously. That might have contributed to the Death of Austin Powers.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Sometimes to me anyway, it felt like Goldmember was trying to take itself seriously. That might have contributed to the Death of Austin Powers.

I think it went way too far in scatological humour. Myers can be funny, but he is also very immature. From the first sequel he ceased to do parody and covered everything in toilet humour. His Fat Bastard character was tasteless. The parodic elements and the affection for the source material was gone.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @ludovico, as much love I have for the first Austin Powers (and the second) as much disgust I have for Goldmember. Seen it once and will never watch it again. It's just tasteless as you said and ruins the parts that are good.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Goldmember came out when I was 13 and I remember seeing it three times in theaters, partially because of the DAD teaser that was attached to it. My 13 year old self found it hilarious, but the 26 year old self that watched parts of it the other night found it dumb as a doorknob.

That being said, the first two are still great.
    The first AP was good, fresh, original. The second has Heather Graham; I'm pleased. The third? Nah.
    Getting sort of back on topic, there was a time when even Daniel Craig Austin Powers messed up the Bond franchise, and not so long ago: http://www.avclub.com/article/daniel-craig-says-austin-powers-fucked-james-bond--212553

Why isn't he a threat anymore? The films still exist.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 12,837
    I found Fat Bastard funny. And I liked Goldmember. The weakest one but it still made me laugh. Micheal Caine's character was a highlight. "Do you have any idea how many anonymous henchmen I've killed? Look at you, you've got no chance, you don't even have a name tag. Why don't you just lie down, go on".

Saying that though I'd be skeptical about a fourth one working. I don't think it's so much the series died, Goldmember didn't do badly did it? I think it's more that it was a product of a different era and has largely been forgotten about now. Three films was enough anyway, it ran it's course.

Although I'll admit my taste in comedy is, judging from critical reaction to some of the things I like, pretty unsophisticated. I still find Seth Mcfarlane's stuff funny despite everyone on the internet telling me how awful he is. I can still enjoy a comedy if it's dumb or goes for cheap laughs as long as I find it funny. It's not really a genre that I'm snobby about. For example, me and my wife watched Macgruber again last night, which we both think is hilarious*, but it flopped and got a pretty poor reaction from critics.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I think what Craig says in that interview is still relevant. They still won't do certain things because they'd be too Austin Powers (Bond girl with sex pun in the name, bald nehru suited Blofeld), but the AP films aren't really relevant anymore. They're pretty dated themselves, and I think them fading out of the public consciousness has allowed the Bond producers to embrace the old iconography a bit more than in CR and QOS.

According to what we saw from SP, the Nehru suit is back, albeit dark, and even the scar. I'd never ever thought in a million year they'd take that risk (and for the record I don't think the scar is necessary, but there you go). I do agree that the AP films are no longer relevant. And that is why i doubt there will be a fourth one.
    I found Fat Bastard funny. And I liked Goldmember. The weakest one but it still made me laugh. Micheal Caine's character was a highlight. "Do you have any idea how many anonymous henchmen I've killed? Look at you, you've got no chance, you don't even have a name tag. Why don't you just lie down, go on".

Saying that though I'd be skeptical about a fourth one working. I don't think it's so much the series died, Goldmember didn't do badly did it? I think it's more that it was a product of a different era and has largely been forgotten about now. Three films was enough anyway, it ran it's course.

Although I'll admit my taste in comedy is, judging from critical reaction to some of the things I like, pretty unsophisticated. I still find Seth Mcfarlane's stuff funny despite everyone on the internet telling me how awful he is. I can still enjoy a comedy if it's dumb or goes for cheap laughs as long as I find it funny. It's not really a genre that I'm snobby about. For example, me and my wife watched Macgruber again last night, which we both think is hilarious*, but it flopped and got a pretty poor reaction from critics.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I think what Craig says in that interview is still relevant. They still won't do certain things because they'd be too Austin Powers (Bond girl with sex pun in the name, bald nehru suited Blofeld), but the AP films aren't really relevant anymore. They're pretty dated themselves, and I think them fading out of the public consciousness has allowed the Bond producers to embrace the old iconography a bit more than in CR and QOS.

I'm losing my hair, but not quite bald. I had 2 Nehru jackets, but couldn't really pull off the cool of the Beatles and I once dated a girl named 'Candy Fudge'. I suppose the next step is for one eye to go bad.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Why she never was a Bond girl will forever be one of the great mysteries of mankind....lol...
    I guess she would have rejected any role in the series after missing out on For Your Eyes Only, being in the run to play BB. I think it was John Glen who dismissed her for being "too young", which to my knowledge she was furious about.
    The first Austin Powers film was clever, but like so many successful first films, Myers and company clearly felt the pressure go bigger and better, which meant cruder and sillier, until by the time the third film roles around, Myers is playing practically every role and the comedy is pure vulgarity.

Goldmember certainly never ruined the possibility of Blofeld for me. I took it for what it was, member envy.

Not many sequels rival the first. Airplane is another notable example, funny film followed by an overly ambitious, try too hard, dud. Johnny English sequel, another dud.

Dramatic films lend themselves to sequels or a series much better.

As for another AP film, not needed. We'll see if SPY can pull it off, or whether they'll meet the same fate of attempting to be bigger, more spectacular, and funnier.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Call me crazy but I love Johnny English 1 and 2, and could watch them over and over again, yet watching a 2 minutes trailer for Austin Powers make me want to gouge my eyes out.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Call me crazy but I love Johnny English 1 and 2, and could watch them over and over again, yet watching a 2 minutes trailer for Austin Powers make me want to gouge my eyes out.

I call you crazy....not.

I absolutely adore Johnny English 1 and 2 and just recently re-watched both of them somewhere between TSWLM and MR I think.
    They can't be compared to Austin Powers in my opinion. They are just too different.

Whereas AP is a pure parody JE seems to be an homage of sorts, a comedic one.
    And I'm even not a fan of Mr. Bean I have to say. Never found him funny.

But as Johnny English he rocks...
  • Austin Powers killed Austin Powers when they decided not to make another one.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I feel sort of left out. I've never seen an AP (or JE) movie...
    Flint was the only parody series I've seen. :-??
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited August 2015 Posts: 5,080
    I watched about 10 minutes of The Spy Who Shagged Me on Netflix and couldn't make it any further.

As for the Johnny English films, I would recommend the first one, @chrisisall, it is pretty hilarious. Reborn is good too, but not a scratch on the original.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2015 Posts: 5,131
    The characater 'Fat Bastard' killed Austin Powers. Unlike Dr Evil and Austin....he wasn't funny at all....just vulger.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    The characater 'Fat Bastard' killed Austin Powers. Unlike Dr Evil and Austin....he wasn't funny at all....just vulger.

He was vile. So was the kind of "humour" he brought: tasteless, sick, etc.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

You mean you didn't care for Oscar winning dialogue such as:

"Hey diaper lady!!!...here's my diaper."
    I think that Austin Powers killed Austin Powers because the movies were not very funny to begin with and grew gradually worse with great names in casting as a bandaid.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I like all the three Austin Powers, and I actually would view them all repeatedly one after another. But, as most of the chaps say, it's been degraded in its quality with every entry. The first one was witty, and the best one, obviously. The second one was alright, having quite some fun moments and clever lines among the dialogues. But, the third one was indeed forced, and somehow lost its cleverness that the first two have built. It was just an overtly silly and ridiculous spoof on the spy films. But, I still watch some parts. It doesn't have to take it too seriously or be too conservative to be 'watchable'.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The first one was actually funny....but the problem is that Dr Evil is so much funnier than Austin!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The first one was actually funny....but the problem is that Dr Evil is so much funnier than Austin!

I am funnier than Austin, and so are you.
    Even on a bad day, we're funnier than Austin. I laughed hard with the name of the club from the first movie. What was it, the 'The Electric Psychedelic Pussycat'? Okay, I laughed with that. But the rest of the film made me chuckle at best. Goldmember made me cry.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2015 Posts: 40,471
    'The Electric Psychedelic Pussycat Swingers Club' I think?

I won't lie, I tend to laugh really hard at the first movie.
    When I was younger I didn't "get" the name Basil Exposition. Now, I think that's he's one of the funnier things about the films.