Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    Mark me down as someone who doesn't particularly want to see an old Bond. Maybe a Connery around the time he made The Rock or something, but Dalton's older than Connery was when he retired and he isn't exactly a Connery-level movie star: no thanks.

I agree. Much as I love Dalton, I feel as if doing a move like this would be nothing more than pandering to Nostaligia, plus it would seem like EON cashing in on this trend of bringing back older actors to play their iconic characters, i.e. Michael Keaton back as Batman, and Tobey McGuire and Andrew Garfield returning for Spider-Man.

And we all know that EON wouldn’t dare to cash in on a popular trend. ;)

Personally, I am against such an idea for a number of reasons. Specifically, 2 reasons. 1) I would like to remember Dalton:Bond as he was in TLD/LTK, and 2) the series needs to move forwards with a new actor.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It's not a stretch to imagine Bond going to space in the modern era. It does feel a little limited to think about what he could actually do in space.

Yeah that’s the issue. Maybe it’s the sort of thing that’d better suit a PTS or a finale like MR, rather than a whole film. I do think you could get a good 90 minute thriller out of the idea (like Gravity a few years back). But I guess there’s the issue of would it really feel like a Bond film. Not much room for all the usual trappings.
    How about going to space again? I’ve never had an issue with the idea in principle, Bond’s always been full of mental ideas like that. To be honest if Fleming had lived to see the space race really start heating up then it strikes me as exactly the sort of thing he’d do. The biggest problem with MR imo is that they didn’t really do anything exciting with the idea. We just got some naff Star Wars inspired laser guns sprucing up a fairly standard finale.

I think they could easily come up with a new story involving commercial space travel, the billionaire space race would make it feel quite timely and relevant. Maybe a super rich baddy who’s been investing in their own shuttles could storm the ISS and start installing some sort of doomsday weapon on there, or using it for some kind of evil scheme, not clever enough to think of one. Bond could be sent up to try and rescue the hostages and avoid a full on military response. They could even go to the ISS for real, if they had the budget. Only issue I can think of is that it might end up feeling a bit derivative of that Tom Cruise film that’s coming out, depending on what that’s like.

I am all for it. Great thinking as always. I also wouldn t mind if Q invented a time machine.

They could do a Life On Mars sort of thing. Modern Bond time travels back and meets a digitally resurrected Connery Bond (scary to think that might actually happen one day). Connery Bond could play the Gene Hunt role. Politically incorrect geezer who thinks the modern Bond is a sissy because he doesn’t smoke or slap the women he shags.

This needs to happen or I will be severely disappointed.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    How about going to space again? I’ve never had an issue with the idea in principle, Bond’s always been full of mental ideas like that. To be honest if Fleming had lived to see the space race really start heating up then it strikes me as exactly the sort of thing he’d do. The biggest problem with MR imo is that they didn’t really do anything exciting with the idea. We just got some naff Star Wars inspired laser guns sprucing up a fairly standard finale.

I think they could easily come up with a new story involving commercial space travel, the billionaire space race would make it feel quite timely and relevant. Maybe a super rich baddy who’s been investing in their own shuttles could storm the ISS and start installing some sort of doomsday weapon on there, or using it for some kind of evil scheme, not clever enough to think of one. Bond could be sent up to try and rescue the hostages and avoid a full on military response. They could even go to the ISS for real, if they had the budget. Only issue I can think of is that it might end up feeling a bit derivative of that Tom Cruise film that’s coming out, depending on what that’s like.

That's good fun, I like that.

It is becoming increasingly hard not to think of a Bond villain modelled in Musk/Bezos mold, isn't it? :D
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States

That's good fun, I like that.

It is becoming increasingly hard not to think of a Bond villain modelled in Musk/Bezos mold, isn't it? :D

Well they already fittingly had Bond take out a media mogul...could use a Bond to rid the world of a few more of them...why not have him take out some douchy corporate elitist while he is at it
  • mtm wrote: »
    Mark me down as someone who doesn't particularly want to see an old Bond. Maybe a Connery around the time he made The Rock or something, but Dalton's older than Connery was when he retired and he isn't exactly a Connery-level movie star: no thanks.

I agree. Much as I love Dalton, I feel as if doing a move like this would be nothing more than pandering to Nostaligia, plus it would seem like EON cashing in on this trend of bringing back older actors to play their iconic characters, i.e. Michael Keaton back as Batman, and Tobey McGuire and Andrew Garfield returning for Spider-Man.

Personally, I am against such an idea for a number of reasons. Specifically, 2 reasons. 1) I would like to remember Dalton:Bond as he was in TLD/LTK, and 2) the series needs to move forwards with a new actor.

Coming in 2025...James Bond in No Way Home...starring Daniel Craig, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, and George Lazenby
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Oh boy.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

I am all for it. Great thinking as always. I also wouldn t mind if Q invented a time machine.

Could work. Space Bond. Time Travel Bond. Robot (ROW-butt) Bond.

https://theworldofjamesbond.blog/2017/04/01/bond-25-the-remake-of-moonraker/
    https://www.deviantart.com/armalarm/art/Moonraker-Reboot-333482459
    moonraker_reboot_by_armalarm-d5ijopn.jpg?w=660&h=1024
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    51819979064_8f34bb4985_o.png
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    One thing I am interested to see is how much they are willing to re-do the Dalton and Brosnan films, which seem to sit on a different level in the public perception. They have always said there are no remakes, but as we all know at some point the lines between homage, callback, formula and remake become incredibly thin. A Musk/Bezos-type figure seems super obvious, especially in connection with something like private space travel (as an aside: They'd have to go full science fiction with it, with someone having already established a private space station for ultra-rich tourists that Bond then infiltrates...), but that's just Gustav Graves, who was basically Hugo Drax from the novel anyway.
    BUT it seems to me like people would be much more lenient if they took something from DAD and "did it properly" instead of f.e. doing something very close to FRWL (or am I just blind and they have always been doing that anyway?).

What's your opinion there? Is there a statute of limitations and after a few years/films everything can be recycled or are there things that should forever be off-limits? Does it differ depending on the wider perception of the "original" film? Or maybe they can do different variations from the books but shouldn't remake original film things?
    For the first twenty films of the franchise, re-makes would have been out of the question, as there was a continuity. Now they've 'rebooted' (or whatever you want to call it), and killed Bond off, I suppose anything is possible. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if they started to bring back classic villains, in the same way super heroes keep battling the same villains. But I don't think they'd ever go for a direct remake. NSNA may well be the only Bond film with that distinction, (unless you go with the not too ludicrous idea that TSWLM was a YOLT remake).
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    QBranch wrote: »
    51819979064_8f34bb4985_o.png

:))
    I highly doubt they will flat-out remake any of the films or classic villains already imagined, save for Blofeld, naturally. I certainly don't want to see that.* Recycling the foundations like they did with YOLT into TSWLM; TND, sure. EON's ethos seems to be moving forward with new stories (e.g. "no period pieces", as I seem to remember Barbara or Michael once revealed).

*Specifically, I don't want to see a re-imagining of any non-recurring characters who have died in past films. Perhaps there are exceptions I cannot think of right now. I can certainly see Irma Bunt returning alongside Ernst in a future story.
    00Heaven wrote: »
    :))
    Cheers, an old piece from me, but one of my better ones.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    "BEST BOND EVER!"
    -- QBranch, MI6COMMUNITY
    mattjoes wrote: »
    "BEST BOND EVER!"
    -- QBranch, MI6COMMUNITY
    BBE: The title for B26.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That s brilliant, @QBranch .Would love to see that Depeche Mode music video.
    That s brilliant, @QBranch .Would love to see that Depeche Mode music video.
    Thanks mate. DM definitely should've done a theme by now - and considering their longevity, there is still hope.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2022 Posts: 14,935
    One thing I am interested to see is how much they are willing to re-do the Dalton and Brosnan films, which seem to sit on a different level in the public perception. They have always said there are no remakes, but as we all know at some point the lines between homage, callback, formula and remake become incredibly thin. A Musk/Bezos-type figure seems super obvious, especially in connection with something like private space travel (as an aside: They'd have to go full science fiction with it, with someone having already established a private space station for ultra-rich tourists that Bond then infiltrates...), but that's just Gustav Graves, who was basically Hugo Drax from the novel anyway.
    BUT it seems to me like people would be much more lenient if they took something from DAD and "did it properly" instead of f.e. doing something very close to FRWL (or am I just blind and they have always been doing that anyway?).

What's your opinion there? Is there a statute of limitations and after a few years/films everything can be recycled or are there things that should forever be off-limits? Does it differ depending on the wider perception of the "original" film? Or maybe they can do different variations from the books but shouldn't remake original film things?

The one film I'd like to see remade would be TMWTGG: I think there's a lot of potential in Scaramanga that they never used and which got lost in all the (irrelevant) Solex stuff. But also a lot of iconography which they added (like the assembly kit golden gun, Scaramanga's island, Nic Nac etc.) which could bear another outing.
    Basically the man with the golden gun is better than The Man With The Golden Gun, if you know what I mean! :D
    I confess up front I've been on a Benedict Cumberbatch film festival lately. The Year of the Dog I saw over the holidays, and last night I watched both The Courier and The Electrical Life of Louis Wain. The guy is On. A. Roll. Truly superb. I thought so before, but the variety among these was impressive. I don't know that he'd be interested, perhaps less so for a series - say, three ? - of films but: He plays in Marvel films, and it's rather light fare, too. He could play a posh-school Englishman who's still capable of cruelty and self-pleasuring - by way of women, wine, fine foods and gambling - QUITE well. He's a chameleon - handsome, not so much, dashing, goofy, all of it ! 6' tall and sometimes builds up to rock solid. When I think of him for this it seems to me - despite the producers saying no - that, with HIM in the part, he'd do well with in period (50s, early 60s).
    Oops. Meant to put this in other thread. I'll do so now. Though - Where doth go the series after Craig ? has a LOT to do with Which player would handle the part well in the next film ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Since62 wrote: »
    I confess up front I've been on a Benedict Cumberbatch film festival lately. The Year of the Dog I saw over the holidays, and last night I watched both The Courier and The Electrical Life of Louis Wain. The guy is On. A. Roll. Truly superb. I thought so before, but the variety among these was impressive. I don't know that he'd be interested, perhaps less so for a series - say, three ? - of films but: He plays in Marvel films, and it's rather light fare, too. He could play a posh-school Englishman who's still capable of cruelty and self-pleasuring - by way of women, wine, fine foods and gambling - QUITE well. He's a chameleon - handsome, not so much, dashing, goofy, all of it ! 6' tall and sometimes builds up to rock solid. When I think of him for this it seems to me - despite the producers saying no - that, with HIM in the part, he'd do well with in period (50s, early 60s).

I'd certainly take him as Scaramanga.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Hah, that would be cool.

I’d love to see you use your poster skills to reimagine some classic bond films with alternate actors! ;)
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States

Hah, that would be cool.

I’d love to see you use your poster skills to reimagine some classic bond films with alternate actors! ;)

Not sure I'd want to see a reboot but I could definitely see him playing the next super villain, especially after his rendition of Kahn in Star Trek...and while earlier I protested against changing James Bond to a black actor I've been thinking that Idris Elba would make a great "M", still a no for me as Bond but I think he could definitely pull of a good M
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Hah, that would be cool.

That’s a fun idea! :)
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited January 2022 Posts: 1,427
    They should cast a panel of villains featuring each of the starring men from the Marvel franchise to go up against Bond. Spy battle royale movie.
    So here is an "outside of the box" theory.............................Daniel Craig will stay on board the Bond franchise............................as a producer.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Coming in 2025...James Bond in No Way Home...starring Daniel Craig, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, and George Lazenby

Alternatively, take a page out of Doctor Who, and call it The Four Bonds. Then again, it would have to be The Five Bonds, to include the newest Bond. Craig having only just departed the role a few short years prior, will appear via deleted footage from NTTD. If you know what I am referring to, then you know. ;)
    delfloria wrote: »
    So here is an "outside of the box" theory.............................Daniel Craig will stay on board the Bond franchise............................as a producer.

Not sure I like that idea. At the rate the Bond films are being produced, I'm afraid Barbara might devote most of her time to Daniel's other projects between Bonds. We might only end up with one Bond film per decade if that's the case. We're already down to two as it is.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    delfloria wrote: »

I feel like this was a thing that was going around for awhile, but I don't think it'll happen. Feels like he'll be happy to put some distance between himself and the franchise.

Alternatively, take a page out of Doctor Who, and call it The Four Bonds. Then again, it would have to be The Five Bonds, to include the newest Bond. Craig having only just departed the role a few short years prior, will appear via deleted footage from NTTD. If you know what I am referring to, then you know. ;)
    No Timey-Wimey to Die.