Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    "More warm" or "warmer", not "more warmer". Sorry to pick.
    How about "Morer warmerer" ?
    With regard to Woo, Bay and more: Please, no one who'll lean waaaay in on the slow-motion machine in a Bond Film !!! There's already been some and already it was far too much. Guy Ritchie has made some great, fun films but please no screen freeze or other tricks in a Bond film.
  • GBFGBF
    Since62 wrote: »

More, more power!!
  • GBF wrote: »

More, more power!!

More zero! or More None....sounds like a Bond title

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Are there any credits for the video game that's in development yet? What producers are involved from Eon, I wonder, and I also wonder if that upcoming game could have any impact on the next franchise direction.

It's confirmed to be a sleuthy origin story and reportedly third-person, which means they'll need an interesting character model for Bond.

It seems MGM and Amazon are heavily involved in the game, so they'll likely want to tie in every James Bond property under one actor, no? I think the game as announced is intentionally independent from any film arc, but I do wonder if possible casting timing may have them put in an actor if they get one soon enough.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I still don't think they're going to use an actor, in favour of just creating their own image of Bond. Why limit themselves?
    I still don't think they're going to use an actor, in favour of just creating their own image of Bond. Why limit themselves?

...starring the legally permitted CGI images and voices of Sean-George-Roger-Timothy-Pierce-Daniel Connery-Lazenby-Moore-Dalton-Brosnan-Craig...a mouthful, but still easier for anyone other than an Englishman to manage to pronounce
    St. John Smyth
    as
    "Sinjinn Smythe"
    I mean, was the lady lead in DAF portrayed by Jill SinJinn ?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

...starring the legally permitted CGI images and voices of Sean-George-Roger-Timothy-Pierce-Daniel Connery-Lazenby-Moore-Dalton-Brosnan-Craig...a mouthful, but still easier for anyone other than an Englishman to manage to pronounce
    St. John Smyth
    as
    "Sinjinn Smythe"

lol I thought I was in a different thread, I was responding to the above comment about the upcoming IOI game.
    Was on a zoom conversation with B. Broccoli, Wilson and Craig and some of the crew and it was interesting to hear them refer to the Craig era as it's own separate series from the previous films and that they look forward to the clean slate for the next version of Bond.
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States
    Wouldn't it be interesting to learn in the next Bond film (maybe called "Unleashed") that Bond finds out that (the Judi Dench) M, was actually his real mother Monique whom went under an alias as M after a terrorist group targeted her and her Husband Andrew for extermination under the guise of an accident, but she actually survived and selecting the maladjusted orphan wasn't quite the actual story. Now he finds out the truth and goes off the rails to find and systematically eliminate the terrorist organization that had funded and guided behind the scenes the former agent he killed in Skyfall?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    delfloria wrote: »
    Was on a zoom conversation with B. Broccoli, Wilson and Craig and some of the crew and it was interesting to hear them refer to the Craig era as it's own separate series from the previous films and that they look forward to the clean slate for the next version of Bond.

Is there anywhere we can watch that zoom conversation?
    KenAustin wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be interesting to learn in the next Bond film (maybe called "Unleashed") that Bond finds out that (the Judi Dench) M, was actually his real mother Monique whom went under an alias as M after a terrorist group targeted her and her Husband Andrew for extermination under the guise of an accident, but she actually survived and selecting the maladjusted orphan wasn't quite the actual story. Now he finds out the truth and goes off the rails to find and systematically eliminate the terrorist organization that had funded and guided behind the scenes the former agent he killed in Skyfall?

Further...Q fires up his computer over his usual Earl Grey and 007's vital signs start beeping....and later we find out that the concussion from the missiles that hit the island in NTTD blew him out to sea like Goodspeed in The Rock, and when Bond wakes up in a hospital bed with a clean bill of health to find Q and M standing over his bed we learn that the smart blood nanobots that were injected in him in SP somehow counteracted the ones in the virus that he contracted in NTTD...not only does he live but starts with a clean slate
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Jordo007 wrote: »

I'm thinking section 26, paragraph 5 in effect. Need-to-know. Sure we understand.

• edited January 2022 Posts: 17,280
    mtm wrote: »
    Genuinely I’d rather Guy Richie. I’m not sure it would be great, but it’d feel more Bond and have more enjoyment in it.

I would genuinely love to see Guy Ritchie direct a Bond film. It might not end up like the best thing in the world, but I'd still like to see it happen.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Over Nolan, no question.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 1,430
    Richie is a Billion-dollar filmmaker now, has a strong career map ahead of him at Disney and undoubtedly could bring a certain patriotic charm to the Bond character in the style of Skyfall etc. again under his helm.

Sherlock Holmes was arguably all of the "Bond" training he would ever need and proves he could definitely take the franchise and be trusted for quite a few films, likely, if he isn't too tied up in some kind of "Aladdin Multiverse" or something. He also got writing credit on Aladdin, which could be, and not be, promising for a strong director-writer dynamic in Bond's story. (My bet would be with the inevitable final touch of another studio writer... maybe keeping Waller-Bridge around.)

He seems available enough to helm a movie in the next couple of years, as well, and likes to keep busy.

To me, he seems a bit more akin to the Craig-like approach to the character, which I'm not sure they'd repeat immediately in the next few years. Though, his U.N.C.L.E. was a different-enough approach, I would welcome that tone in a Bond movie. I did find Wrath of Man a bit too simple; seemed like a paycheck movie for him on some level and the action didn't go anywhere near what's he's been previously capable of. I have yet to even consider whatever Operation Fortune: Ruse de guerre is.

I fear we'd get a strong first Bond movie with him, and then a bored sequel like SPECTRE again. I would take Nolan over Richie but still show up to both.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

St. John Smyth
    as
    "Sinjinn Smythe"

lol I thought I was in a different thread, I was responding to the above comment about the upcoming IOI game.

Project 007 will not feature any of the cinematic Bonds. IOI are being given the freedom to create their own Bond. Whomever it is, I hope that they will play a major part in the promotion of the games, like how the old Tom Raider games, used to hire a model to promote each game.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 1,430

St. John Smyth
    as
    "Sinjinn Smythe"

Project 007 will not feature any of the cinematic Bonds. IOI are being given the freedom to create their own Bond. Whomever it is, I hope that they will play a major part in the promotion of the games, like how the old Tom Raider games, used to hire a model to promote each game.

Yeah that is the announced arrangement, but MGM-Amazon have a producer on the game, and I could see the Amazon side having an issue with conflicting story narratives, i.e. wanting everything eventually to seem congruent. To me, this will only be a potential issue if the next Bond movie kicks off very early with casting. I think if a movie actor is cast before the game is released, the studio will at least discuss "recasting" the game... but we'll see.

From September:
    MGM's Matthew Suser, who now works at Amazon as part of the MGM/Amazon buyout, said the aim with IO's new 007 game is to make something that feels authentic to James Bond.

"It's also about authenticity, and we want to make sure that fans are happy with the experiences that we and our partners are providing," Suser said. We really look for partners in development and publishing that are talented but also understand the IP and brand in a way that will flourish through the gameplay. Gameplay is king, the experience is king, and we want to make sure we're providing great experiences with or without the IP. The IP should really make the game sing at the end of the day."

As for why MGM is in business with IO, Suser said the studio's experience in stealth and agent-focused games led to the collaboration coming to fruition.

"It all comes down to identifying the right development partner. IO is the authority in stealth and agent-oriented games, so they truly were a dream come true in terms of studios to partner with on James Bond," Suser said. "They have a deep, deep passion for the IP, and they're extraordinarily talented. It's a match made in heaven, IO Interactive and James Bond, and we're working on something we think is going to be very special for fans."
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Simply back to the Bond of Connery-Brosnan, one would assume. Should be fairly simple.

Not that I know. Was not for public consumption.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    LucknFate wrote: »

St. John Smyth
    as
    "Sinjinn Smythe"

Yeah that is the announced arrangement, but MGM-Amazon have a producer on the game, and I could see the Amazon side having an issue with conflicting story narratives, i.e. wanting everything eventually to seem congruent. To me, this will only be a potential issue if the next Bond movie kicks off very early with casting. I think if a movie actor is cast before the game is released, the studio will at least discuss "recasting" the game... but we'll see.

From September:
    MGM's Matthew Suser, who now works at Amazon as part of the MGM/Amazon buyout, said the aim with IO's new 007 game is to make something that feels authentic to James Bond.

"It's also about authenticity, and we want to make sure that fans are happy with the experiences that we and our partners are providing," Suser said. We really look for partners in development and publishing that are talented but also understand the IP and brand in a way that will flourish through the gameplay. Gameplay is king, the experience is king, and we want to make sure we're providing great experiences with or without the IP. The IP should really make the game sing at the end of the day."

As for why MGM is in business with IO, Suser said the studio's experience in stealth and agent-focused games led to the collaboration coming to fruition.

"It all comes down to identifying the right development partner. IO is the authority in stealth and agent-oriented games, so they truly were a dream come true in terms of studios to partner with on James Bond," Suser said. "They have a deep, deep passion for the IP, and they're extraordinarily talented. It's a match made in heaven, IO Interactive and James Bond, and we're working on something we think is going to be very special for fans."

Given Amazon's history in game development, I hope they have as little input as possible into the game and since the merger isn't through, I don't think there is a lot they can do at the moment, but it does seem like the companies are already pretty intertwined, which is interesting.

As for them casting an actor, keep in mind that not only is this going to be an original Bond, it will also be at least in part an origin story where players can "earn their 00 status", so it will more likely be a younger actor - maybe even younger than they would consider for the cinematic Bond.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited January 2022 Posts: 5,979
    Richie is a Billion-dollar filmmaker now, has a strong career map ahead of him at Disney and undoubtedly could bring a certain patriotic charm to the Bond character in the style of Skyfall etc. again under his helm.

Sherlock Holmes was arguably all of the "Bond" training he would ever need and proves he could definitely take the franchise and be trusted for quite a few films, likely, if he isn't too tied up in some kind of "Aladdin Multiverse" or something. He also got writing credit on Aladdin, which could be, and not be, promising for a strong director-writer dynamic in Bond's story. (My bet would be with the inevitable final touch of another studio writer... maybe keeping Waller-Bridge around.)

He seems available enough to helm a movie in the next couple of years, as well, and likes to keep busy.

To me, he seems a bit more akin to the Craig-like approach to the character, which I'm not sure they'd repeat immediately in the next few years. Though, his U.N.C.L.E. was a different-enough approach, I would welcome that tone in a Bond movie. I did find Wrath of Man a bit too simple; seemed like a paycheck movie for him on some level and the action didn't go anywhere near what's he's been previously capable of. I have yet to even consider whatever Operation Fortune: Ruse de guerre is.

I fear we'd get a strong first Bond movie with him, and then a bored sequel like SPECTRE again. I would take Nolan over Richie but still show up to both.

Both Nolan and Ritchie are terrible directors. Eon can do better.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

Not that I know. Was not for public consumption.

Thanks replying mate

Controversial opinion but I'd take Guy Richie over, Nolan, Boyle and even Villeneuve.
    The pacing and dialogue of his films are more suited to Bond in my opinion

I'm still holding out hope for Fukunaga for Bond 26, I'd love to know what he'd do with a clean slate
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home

St. John Smyth
    as
    "Sinjinn Smythe"

From September:

Given Amazon's history in game development, I hope they have as little input as possible into the game and since the merger isn't through, I don't think there is a lot they can do at the moment, but it does seem like the companies are already pretty intertwined, which is interesting.

As for them casting an actor, keep in mind that not only is this going to be an original Bond, it will also be at least in part an origin story where players can "earn their 00 status", so it will more likely be a younger actor - maybe even younger than they would consider for the cinematic Bond.

AGS are truly terrible. New World is a complete disaster. AGS is fronted by execs with no experience in the games industry. Hopefully they use an exec with some experience at least but I won't hold my breath.
    00Heaven wrote: »

St. John Smyth
    as
    "Sinjinn Smythe"

From September:

AGS are truly terrible. New World is a complete disaster. AGS is fronted by execs with no experience in the games industry. Hopefully they use an exec with some experience at least but I won't hold my breath.

Them either screwing up this game or tanking the relationship with IOI to have future games developed "in-house" is honestly one of the more worrying aspects of the merger.

On the TV and films side of the company they seem to have figured out that they need industry people and kind of have to let them do their thing. That - together with the strong position EON has - makes me mostly neutral and curious about what the merger will bring for the films, but the whole rest of it could go very bad once Jeff gets his hands on the franchise. On that note, does anyone know who is responsible for merchendise and the 007 store? Because that could surely use a shake-up as well. I don't need Amazon Basics Bond Edition, but it would be nice if there was good and somewhat affordable official merch...

St. John Smyth
    as
    "Sinjinn Smythe"

From September:

I hadn't considered how much age may again be a factor with the game, good point. It sounds like IO have a clear vision for the game outside of MGM/Amazon so far which is good, and it sounds like that's what the studio is asking for as well. Fingers crossed.

St. John Smyth
    as
    "Sinjinn Smythe"

From September:

I hadn't considered how much age may again be a factor with the game, good point. It sounds like IO have a clear vision for the game outside of MGM/Amazon so far which is good, and it sounds like that's what the studio is asking for as well. Fingers crossed.

On the other hand, voice actors can play significantly younger in games than they could in a live-action film, but that would kind of negate the "prominent actor" angle anyway. If you cast, say Tom Hardy, you want Tom Hardy in your game, not Tom Hardy doing complicated voice work to sound completely different.

I wouldn't mind seeing Guy Richie direct either...another one I wouldn't mind, and I think I may have mentioned it before maybe in another thread is Michael Bay although I'm sure he is more than busy enough to take on another project.
    KenAustin wrote: »

I wouldn't mind seeing Guy Richie direct either...another one I wouldn't mind, and I think I may have mentioned it before maybe in another thread is Michael Bay although I'm sure he is more than busy enough to take on another project.

Inside of me is always a push and pull between wanting more experimental Bond films by wide a variety of filmmakers who have ideas to explore outside of the Bond formula - Vaughn, Tarantino, Villeneuve, Ritchie, Boyle, Soderbergh, Gareth Evans, Michael Bay, hell, drop a bag of money at Robert Eggers' door and see what he comes up with - and just wanting to return to formula after the minor detour that was the Craig era with a director who is more subordinate to the producers, maybe someone from the prestige TV world like Miguel Sapochnik or Hiro Murai or Scott Frank (although he's more of a heavy hitter).