Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Guaranteed that Paul Haggis won't be writing the script, though.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Venutius wrote: »
    Guaranteed that Paul Haggis won't be writing the script, though.

And Cary Fukunaga won't be directing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    CrabKey wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

EDIT: and no, that doesn’t mean she will hire Peter Dinklage.

Not as Bond, but as a supporting character in which his physical stature is not emphasized humorously, as was the portrayal of Nick Nack. PD would make a great Q. Or even a villain.

I thought he made a great baddie in that X Men film.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Mini me.....

Look at Dr. Evil's plan in Austin Powers to create his mini me, maybe Blofeld should have too of his own?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Good point @007ClassicBondFan … we are living in times where most can’t afford a history like Miller’s. I have to believe EoN and their partners have vetting protocols in place. With the actor’s consent, I’m sure they will do a deep dive into his past, his socials, interviews. They’ll go over his history with a fine tooth comb (I’ve coached competitive hockey, and we had to go through a police background check; it’ll be the same thing here, but far deeper an investigation… The last thing EoN would want is a hit film, with a hit actor, only to find he did something morally abhorrent and illegal before taking the role).

Craig probably thanked his lucky stars that he got the role just before the social media explosion, and is probably wise to not even start one for himself. George Clooney spoke of how he feels he would be an idiot to have a social account because he doesn’t want to be in a position where he gets drunk and posts something stupid online that cancels him.

No doubt with the next Bond actor there’s gonna be folks digging deep for something even slightly controversial just to blow it up online “NEW BOND SAID SOMETHING NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT!”
  • NoTimeToLiveNoTimeToLive Jamaica
    edited May 2023 Posts: 67
    Kojak007 wrote: »
    Charlie Higson about NTTD and the emotional portrayal of Bond: "The best ‘Bond films’ now are the Mission: Impossible "[films].

I can't take seriously anyone who says this.

This guy seriously writes Bond books? Heck, this guy seriously writes books? One who doesn't even understand that Bond and MI are two different genres? LMAO Imagine being a writer and not even knowing what GENRES are.

Does this guy watch Ghostbusters and complain it's not similar enough to Indiana Jones? Does Higson believe that "the best Star Wars movies now are the MCU movies"?
    I wonder if he watched the latest X-Files seasons and said that American Horror Story was "the best X-Files season".

Also, how does NTTD require Skyfall to be watched? He must give me the name of his oculist.
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Mini me.....

Look at Dr. Evil's plan in Austin Powers to create his mini me, maybe Blofeld should have too of his own?

Not a fan of casting individuals in roles that make fun of their physical attributes.

• George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited May 2023 Posts: 565
    Good point @007ClassicBondFan … we are living in times where most can’t afford a history like Miller’s. I have to believe EoN and their partners have vetting protocols in place. With the actor’s consent, I’m sure they will do a deep dive into his past, his socials, interviews. They’ll go over his history with a fine tooth comb (I’ve coached competitive hockey, and we had to go through a police background check; it’ll be the same thing here, but far deeper an investigation… The last thing EoN would want is a hit film, with a hit actor, only to find he did something morally abhorrent and illegal before taking the role).

Craig probably thanked his lucky stars that he got the role just before the social media explosion, and is probably wise to not even start one for himself. George Clooney spoke of how he feels he would be an idiot to have a social account because he doesn’t want to be in a position where he gets drunk and posts something stupid online that cancels him.

No doubt with the next Bond actor there’s gonna be folks digging deep for something even slightly controversial just to blow it up online “NEW BOND SAID SOMETHING NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT!”

I really have no sympathy for that argument. Alcohol doesn't make people stupid and bigoted, it just reveals that they're stupid and bigoted. It shouldn't be an excuse to abandon personal accountability either.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    Benny wrote: »
    I wonder @slide_99 , what do you like about the Bond films?
    I don't recall a positive post from you.
    I like:
    the focus on plots (compared to most other action franchises)
    the tinge of fantasy
    the style and humor
    Bond as a character
    That's why I don't like it when all of that is jettisoned in favor of soap opera dramatics.

BTW someone lumped me in with the CraigNotBond people from the early days. I wasn't one of those people. When Craig was announced I was all for him. When CR came out I thought it was the best thing to happened to Bond since the 60s.

I only stopped liking this era with Spectre (and to a lesser extent SF, but in retrospect I'd probably like SF more if it hadn't become the blueprint for the rest of the series).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Charlie Higson about NTTD and the emotional portrayal of Bond: "The best ‘Bond films’ now are the Mission: Impossible "[films].

This guy seriously writes Bond books? Heck, this guy seriously writes books? One who doesn't even understand that Bond and MI are two different genres? LMAO Imagine being a writer and not even knowing what GENRES are.

Bond and MI are the same genre.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    mtm wrote: »

So are Marvel and Star Wars too, arguably. Both fantasy at their core essence.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited May 2023 Posts: 3,390
    Mini me.....

Not a fan of casting individuals in roles that make fun of their physical attributes.
    Yes.....

I'm wondering who's that actor who'd played Mini me Dr. Evil in Austin Powers? Yes, not a fan of that part too.

They've done him bad.
    Mini me.....

Yes.....

I'm wondering who's that actor who'd played Mini me Dr. Evil in Austin Powers? Yes, not a fan of that part too.

They've done him bad.

Verne Troyer. Like Herve Villechaize, he also took his own life. VT at 49; HV at 50.

edited May 2023 Posts: 67

They're not. Bond is spy fiction, MI are thriller pictures. Look at how MI puts emphasis on action scenes and Bond does on character development and plot.

They're not. Bond is spy fiction, MI are thriller pictures. Look at how MI puts emphasis on action scenes and Bond does on character development and plot.

MI are action-adventure films, not thrillers. Though the two do overlap. And Ethan Hunt is a spy, by definition, so they'd fall into that too.

Bond films are also action-adventure films.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, they're both spy action-adventure films - they're very much the same genre.
    To say that Bond films have never put emphasis on action scenes (or big stunts) or that MI hasn't emphasised character development and plot is a bit silly.

The only difference genre-wise which I would say does happen is that MI does dip its toe into the heist movie genre. 'Spy heist' is kind of its USP which only MI does.
    The later MI films and Bond are relatively similar in terms of genre. Not sure if I’d call them spy fiction in the strictest sense. For me that’s more along the lines of Le Carre and the first MI film. Bond especially has much more of the fantastical at its heart but both broadly have an ability to incorporate elements of other genres from film to film. Much like the Fleming novels Bond films can be surprisingly introspective, more so than the later MI films I’d argue (as was hinted at in the other post). So while similar they have their differences.
    Anyone who thinks NTTD is a bad Bond movie shouldn't be allowed to write a Bond book. Ever.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Anyone who thinks NTTD is a bad Bond movie shouldn't be allowed to write a Bond book. Ever.

I guess I'll have to delete this novel I've been writing 😩
    Anyone who thinks NTTD is a good Bond movie shouldn't be allowed to write a Bond book. Ever.

I corrected your post so it makes a bit more sense to Planet Earth in general.... ;)
    Anyone who thinks NTTD is a good Bond movie shouldn't be allowed to write a Bond book. Ever.

I corrected your post so it makes a bit more sense to Planet Earth in general.... ;)

Too bad you're wrong because NTTD is an objectively good movie and anyone who studied movie making (I did) knows this, but to each one their own. Some people believe vaccines will make you autistic and some believe that homosexuality is a disease; they're objectively wrong according to science but they still believe it, so feel free to think what you want :)
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

Too bad you're wrong because NTTD is an objectively good movie and anyone who studied movie making (I did) knows this, but to each one their own. Some people believe vaccines will make you autistic and some believe that homosexuality is a disease; they're objectively wrong according to science but they still believe it, so feel free to think what you want :)

You’ve switched goalposts. There’s a difference between a bad Bond movie and a bad movie. NTTD is a well-made film that always looks great. Its script leaves something to be desired imo, and as an adaptation of an existing character and an entry in a long-running series of films you will get people who feel that it does not match their idea of the character or series. It gets subjective. Kiss Me Deadly is generally considered the greatest adaptation of Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer, and a classic noir; Spillane absolutely loathed it though, as it turned Hammer from a tough good-guy hero into a lowlife antihero. These things are not so clear cut, and pulling out your film school card doesn’t give you the last word on this.

Personally I think NTTD is well made but it doesn’t do anything for me emotionally. I think that it went for short-term sensationalism that won’t do the franchise any favours in the long-term. Lots of people feel the opposite, and they may well be right. I don’t think it’s clear cut, and I think opinion will be divided for some years until we see how things play out.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I enjoy NTTD but "NTTD is an objectively good movie" isn't a thing.
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 6,677

Wow, just wow...
    8-}
    I guess logic and reason have gone out the window...
    Comparing a subjective artistic expression to bigot considerations. What's next? People suffering from Dunning–Kruger effect are the ones who dislike NTTD? Flat earthers are behind CraignotBond?
    Brave new world.

You’ve switched goalposts. There’s a difference between a bad Bond movie and a bad movie. NTTD is a well-made film that always looks great. Its script leaves something to be desired imo, and as an adaptation of an existing character and an entry in a long-running series of films you will get people who feel that it does not match their idea of the character or series. It gets subjective. Kiss Me Deadly is generally considered the greatest adaptation of Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer, and a classic noir; Spillane absolutely loathed it though, as it turned Hammer from a tough good-guy hero into a lowlife antihero. These things are not so clear cut, and pulling out your film school card doesn’t give you the last word on this.

Personally I think NTTD is well made but it doesn’t do anything for me emotionally. I think that it went for short-term sensationalism that won’t do the franchise any favours in the long-term. Lots of people feel the opposite, and they may well be right. I don’t think it’s clear cut, and I think opinion will be divided for some years until we see how things play out.

Good post.
    edited May 2023 Posts: 8,034

I'm sure any of the people who studied film who disagree with you will be queuing up to hand their degrees back.

Like any art form, film is subjective rather than objective. A film can objectively have good qualities but subjectively not be to someone's taste.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @sandbagger1, off topic from me but I always have to give props when I see Kiss Me Deadly mentioned. What a film.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @sandbagger1, off topic from me but I always have to give props when I see Kiss Me Deadly mentioned. What a film.

I picked up the Criterion Collection Blu-ray a few months ago. The film is as hard-hitting as I remembered it. And that ending!
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited May 2023 Posts: 1,368
    NTTD is expertly shot from a filmmaking perspective. But the emotional part doesn't work for me. NTTD is a film a director like Michael Bay would have easily shot....apart from his slow-motion style. Just saying NTTD is a film any director with visual flair would have been able to do.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

I wish you had told us the truth about NTTD earlier, we could have saved a lot of time and effort that went into pointless discussion and arguing in this and other threads. But instead, sadistically, you just let it all play out.

Having enjoyed NTTD, I only feel lucky that I was already standing on the side of truth. Your words, late as they might be, have validated me.

And for that, I thank you.
    I once knew someone who used to say "there's no such thing as good or bad when it comes to films. There are only opinions..."

(Worth noting I hated this person's movie choices, but it's interesting to think about).