Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2022 Posts: 7,526
    I'm relying more and more on subtitles too... Can't give up the crunchy snacks.

EDIT: To get us back on track, a summary of my thoughts about the post-Craig era:
    • Younger Bond
    • Brand New Whitehall Brigade
    • Standalone, Dr. No-esque Mission
    • No SPECTRE or Blofeld (at least for a little while)
    • Villain still might have some sort of connection to Bond (in a Trevelyan-style way, perhaps); I think from a box office perspective, it doesn't make much sense to completely turn their back on what they've been doing in the Craig era.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    peter wrote: »
    Tenet was the straw that broke my back; lazy and dull and too smart by half..

I had to bale about 15 minutes in. Pretentious drivel, in my mind. I did love DUNKIRK and BATMAN BEGINS, but those are the exceptions.
  • I want a proper actor in the role like Dan Craig not just a pretty mannequin.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Birdleson , it was an endurance test. And torture.

You were far smarter in pulling the 'chute when you did.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I want a proper actor in the role like Dan Craig not just a pretty mannequin.

I guess that rules out Henry Cavill.

;)
    I want a proper actor in the role like Dan Craig not just a pretty mannequin.

I guess that rules out Henry Cavill.

;)

Yes, yes it does.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Hopefully.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited September 2022 Posts: 652
    According to my sources, Daniella Craig is currently favored to direct Bond 26.
    dan--z.jpg
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 2,066
    I’d honestly like to see what Cavil could do with Bond, I quite enjoy him as an actor, but at this rate, I’d rather Cavil stick to Superman. He’s great in that role, and having him play Bond would invite a lot of Superman comparisons. Besides, the new Bond should be an unknown actor IMO, someone from left field as it were.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I’d honestly like to see what Cavil could do with Bond, I quite enjoy him as an actor, but at this rate, I’d rather Cavil stick to Superman. He’s great in that role, and having him play Bond would invite a lot of Superman comparisons. Besides, the new Bond should be an unknown actor IMO, someone from left field as it were.

Unknown or practically unknown, yes, indeed. That's the ideal for me too. Or Richard Madden. 😉
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Cavill's my go-to #1 choice but I'd also prefer someone almost nobody's heard of.

Hey, Richard Madden would be great too.
    Richard Madden ?!!? Still ? Wee little worried Richard Madden ? Once again, just watch the The Take, in which Madden's own character explicitly admits he is not half the man as is the character of Idris Elba. Madden is simply not credible in a fight, nor having any physical bearing to speak of.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Since62 wrote: »
    Richard Madden ?!!? Still ? Wee little worried Richard Madden ? Once again, just watch the The Take, in which Madden's own character explicitly admits he is not half the man as is the character of Idris Elba. Madden is simply not credible in a fight, nor having any physical bearing to speak of.

There's training for such a thing. I'm not a cinephile by any means but is there any footage of Connery in a pre Dr. No film that shows him fighting? Did Moore fight anyone in The Saint? I had never seen Dalton in anything prior to his Bond tenure that showed his physicality. Craig got the role mostly based on his portrayal in Layer Cake. Brosnan almost took the role in 1987. How much physicality was seen in Remington Steele? My point is that we do not simply base our feelings towards a potential Bond candidate from a physical standpoint based on previous roles.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    slide_99 wrote: »
    dan--z.jpg

Pierce Brosnan isn't fooling anyone here.
    Since62 wrote: »

They're actors. And "wee little"? The guy who's the same height as the last Bond?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Looking and acting the part is the hardest part. Everything else can come with some exercise and fight/stunt training.
    Richard Madden is high up on my list of "realistic" options for Bond #7.
    Looking and acting the part is the hardest part. Everything else can come with some exercise and fight/stunt training.

This. They're actors, after all. Their job is to act. It's like being mad that Craig was unbelievable as Bond because he wasn't an actual British spy. Well...duh? Michael Cera could be an elite, 'John Wick' type assassin with the right training, effort and script.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 989
    slide_99 wrote: »
    dan--z.jpg

So Those Rumours About Bond Being Non-Binary Were True...
    These jokes just get funnier and funnier every time I read them!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This. They're actors, after all. Their job is to act. It's like being mad that Craig was unbelievable as Bond because he wasn't an actual British spy. Well...duh? Michael Cera could be an elite, 'John Wick' type assassin with the right training, effort and script.

Exactly. It'll be interesting the route that they take. What I don't really want to see is an origin story to the origin story. I don't want a 20 something year old casted for a film that explores Bond's role in the Royal Navy.

I'm probably the extreme minority in thinking that the best way to move on from the death of Craig's Bond is to start the new one with a similar beginning of TMWTGG novel. Literally an assassin that claims to be Bond brainwashed to eliminate MI6 personnel and after failing, becomes recruited to attack those who initiated the attack. I dont know anymore. When they said they need time to see where to take the franchise, they probably don't know as well. That's the issue with killing him off, even if it's in a self-contained storyline. They've backed themselves into a corner with that decision.

Do they just drop another actor and continue the first 20 film storyline? I felt the reboot aspect for Craig worked perfectly as it was the only option after their parting with Brosnan and finally getting the rights to the CR novel.

Can they adapt some of the better Gardner novels? I never viewed Gardners version of Bond as the same as Fleming's. I just really don't want to see a young Bond.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 7,526
    I really feel like there is no "first 20 film storyline". The more work you do trying to confine those films into a single storyline/timeline, the more you back yourself into your own corner (as you say the filmmakers have done). Yes, there are through-lines and self-references (Tracy continuously coming up, old gadgets in newer films, as examples), but until the Craig era, each film really was it's own standalone adventure, with the odd nod or easter egg. And the filmmakers would be best to go back to this approach for Bond 26.
    Start completely fresh, recast every single character, go with a slightly younger Bond, and jump start the next era of Bond.
    The Brosnan era (particularly in DAD) with a of the gadget references did no favors (at least for me) in thinking that it was one continous character. Rebooting is the only way at this point. It's worked, sometimes not for better with other franchises such as Batman but we accept it nonetheless. I guess no one who watches the most recent Batman film thinks that "wait, didn't he retire and was presumed dead at the end of Dark Knight rises? How is he here and back?"

It's only been a year and I want some news. How the hell did I make it through the three year gap between DAD and Craig being announced? For the few years after Spectre, I always knew Craig was coming back even if it was never formally announced until 2017.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

He's 36, so he's unfortunately too old.

Craig started at 38 and I'd be surprised if anyone here thinks Bond 26 is coming in 2024.
    echo wrote: »

He's 36, so he's unfortunately too old.

Craig started at 38 and I'd be surprised if anyone here thinks Bond 26 is coming in 2024.

Yeah but if they start filming in 2024, he'd be the same age as Craig.
    Fair enough both points, and even if they do start filming in 2024, I still think they should go younger than Craig. So maybe Madden is out... I thought he was younger.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Exactly. It'll be interesting the route that they take. What I don't really want to see is an origin story to the origin story. I don't want a 20 something year old casted for a film that explores Bond's role in the Royal Navy.

I'm probably the extreme minority in thinking that the best way to move on from the death of Craig's Bond is to start the new one with a similar beginning of TMWTGG novel. Literally an assassin that claims to be Bond brainwashed to eliminate MI6 personnel and after failing, becomes recruited to attack those who initiated the attack. I dont know anymore. When they said they need time to see where to take the franchise, they probably don't know as well. That's the issue with killing him off, even if it's in a self-contained storyline. They've backed themselves into a corner with that decision.

Do they just drop another actor and continue the first 20 film storyline? I felt the reboot aspect for Craig worked perfectly as it was the only option after their parting with Brosnan and finally getting the rights to the CR novel.

Can they adapt some of the better Gardner novels? I never viewed Gardners version of Bond as the same as Fleming's. I just really don't want to see a young Bond.

The less backstory and "back to the beginning" stuff, the better. If the Craig era was about the creation of Bond as 007 and his time in service, I really don't want to see that again, especially with a younger Bond who isn't even close to being 00-status-ready yet.
    Unfortunately we don't have a younger actor that I can think of that is similar to a younger Connery. I still can't believe he was only 31 when he filmed Dr. No.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Last_Rat_Standing ... They were made differently back in the day. They were built into men at a younger age. Circumstances were uncomfortable.

Different times...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    peter wrote: »
    @Last_Rat_Standing ... They were made differently back in the day. They were built into men at a younger age. Circumstances were uncomfortable.

Different times...

They also probably smoked fifty a day and didn't bother with any kind of sun protection :D
    Lazenby was in his twenties and had the skin of a 40 year-old :)