Coming Soon To Consoles! - The Upcoming Games Thread

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The PS3 has MGS4. Nuff said.

In all honesty though...

There's one thing and one thing alone that gives the PS3 any graphical advantage over the 360, and that's Blu-ray discs (more space, more stuff you can pack in). I've heard a lot of talk about all how the 360's online features are much better, and that may be the case, but the PS3 has decent enough online features, it's free (I don't have an extra $50 a year) and on the two games I actually play online, there's enough people (Battlefield: Bad Company and GoldenEye 007 Reloaded).

MGS4, the Uncharted series, the Resistance series, God of War, The Last of Us... these are all good enough reasons for me to pick the PS3 over the 360. I was never a Halo fan (I prefer the books) and other than that, the 360 doesn't have many exclusives anyway, now that nearly every game is cross-console. It's main center of exclusives is the Xbox Live Arcade, and none of those games really appeal to me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    New unofficially released GTA 5 image:
    http://i.imgur.com/VIaBF.jpg
  • AliAli

My xbox is 4 years old and I've never had a ring of death.

Seriously? You're a lucky man. I went through 10 360s in 2 years. Constantly returning the replacements they sent me after only a month or two due to the next RROD. The last straw was when the, then new, Elite I bought to try and get out the loop went down after 6 weeks!

Got it replaced and immediately traded it for a 60Gb PS3. That still works and is used by the kids, and I bought a 250Gb Slim when those came out. It has had the BluRay drive give up the ghost but I replaced it myself. Piece of cake.

I really liked the 360 when it worked but, after the reliability issues I had, you can understand why I'd never buy another!
  • AliAli
    the PS3 has decent enough online features, it's free (I don't have an extra $50 a year) .

I stumped up for PS Plus and don't regret it at all. They've given away over £400 worth of games in the last 18 months!
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 40,473
    'Hitman: HD Collection' has now been confirmed for a late January/early February release in North America and Europe, respectively. It will come as a Standard and Premium Edition, with the latter receiving unique artwork and an art book chronicling the series. The trilogy will contain 'Hitman 2: Silent Assassin,' 'Hitman: Contracts,' and 'Hitman: Blood Money.'

I will be reserving the Premium Edition from GameStop as soon as it's available. I've already played the hell out of BM, but SA and 'Contracts' haven't been played by me in many, many years, and I recall the amount of fun I had on those. It's most certainly worth the $40.

Amazon.com is now taking pre-orders.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,894
    I know it's already been released, but Hitman: Absolution has had it's price cut to £19.99 for a limited time only at GAME. :-? Now I might pick up a copy.
    I know it's already been released, but Hitman: Absolution has had it's price cut to £19.99 for a limited time only at GAME. :-? Now I might pick up a copy.

At a price like this, go ahead and give it a shot. I can commend it and point out how great the graphics were, how entertaining the new features were, and how fun the bits of foreshadowing were throughout the game, if you knew when to look out for them. I just felt the formula and gameplay had changed entirely, so most of it felt like a run-and-gun. But, give it a shot. I will say this: going back to the world of Hitman with 'Absolution' has made me that much more excited for this 'Hitman HD Trilogy.'
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I have a Hitman question: Why the hell won't Hitman: Codename 47 ever leave the PC?
    I have a Hitman question: Why the hell won't Hitman: Codename 47 ever leave the PC?

I'm not sure. What's the point of a 'trilogy?' Just add in 'Codename 47.' I've never had the chance to play it.

I'm sure my hours will already be sucked into 'Hitman 2' and 'Contracts.'
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:

I'm not sure. What's the point of a 'trilogy?' Just add in 'Codename 47.' I've never had the chance to play it.

I'm sure my hours will already be sucked into 'Hitman 2' and 'Contracts.'

Contracts is pretty much a Remake of Codename 47 but removes 47's backstory and starts directly after Codename 47. It's confusing. And from what I've seen of codename 47, you're not missing that much.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 40,473
    @Murdock, thanks for the information. Like I said, $40 for both HD versions of 'SA' and 'Contracts' will be more than enough for me. I can't get over how much fun I had with those games. I used to play 'Traditions of the Trade' on 'Contracts' for hours on end in just one mission. I'd try to stealthily kill everyone, and see how many bodies I could put in the pool. It was crazy.

Here's the 'Tomb Raider' Guide to Survival trailer:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-13687-Tomb-Raider-Guide-to-Survival-Trailer-Looks-at--Smart-Resourceful-Lara-.html
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:
    At a price like this, go ahead and give it a shot. I can commend it and point out how great the graphics were, how entertaining the new features were, and how fun the bits of foreshadowing were throughout the game, if you knew when to look out for them. I just felt the formula and gameplay had changed entirely, so most of it felt like a run-and-gun. But, give it a shot. I will say this: going back to the world of Hitman with 'Absolution' has made me that much more excited for this 'Hitman HD Trilogy.'

I went ahead and bought Absolution today. I can't get used to not having the silenced Silverballer(s), but it is a really nice looking game. I have played up to...
    the strip club.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I was about to post that, after having just seen it on IGN, it's looking good.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Murdock, thanks for the information. Like I said, $40 for both HD versions of 'SA' and 'Contracts' will be more than enough for me. I can't get over how much fun I had with those games. I used to play 'Traditions of the Trade' on 'Contracts' for hours on end in just one mission. I'd try to stealthily kill everyone, and see how many bodies I could put in the pool. It was crazy.

I play the Petronas Towers missions in SA for hours. Basement Killing/Graveyard Shift/Jacuzzi Job. Reminds me of Nightfire a bit.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:

Awesome! It looks very promising. Thanks for the link, @Creasy47!
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, anytime! I hear it's shaping up to be a great hit for 2013.

@MajorDSmythe, I know how you feel. Don't get me wrong, there are some missions that take you back to that old Hitman feel, but most of it is so far past what I expected, in a bad way.
    Gearbox has done very well with the two 'Borderlands' games and the 'Half-Life series' (major fan), but I was not impressed whatsoever with 'Brothers in Arms,' and although I never played 'Duke Nukem Forever,' I'll let the reviews decide for me. I'm not sure if I'll end up getting this, but I've wanted it since I re-watched 'Aliens' the other night. I just feel that next month's 'Hitman HD Trilogy' will keep me busy for quite some time.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I liked Duke Nukem Forever. Graphics were bad and the puzzle sections were pretty crap, but the shooting bits were really fun. It also had boobs and some funny one liners, and the boss battles were highlights.

It was refreshing to have a game that doesn't use Call Of Duty and it's snap on shooting as it's inspiration for the combat.

I played the first Borderlands but I haven't played the new one, or Brothers In Arms. I didn't know they made Half Life, I love the 2nd game and I have all the other Episodes for it.
    Well, Colonial Marines looks as good now as it did when I first saw a preview for it - five years ago.

Anyway, was that actually Michael Biehn's voice at the beginning? Was that a voice clip from Aliens?

Anybody else notice that one guy (the one you see in the player when you haven't pressed play on the video, otherwise he's at 1:09) kind of looks like Woods from COD Black Ops?

"I'm Captain Crews and you're my crew" - good line.
    @Agent007391, I don't see a huge resemblance, but I think the woman in the trailer sounds exactly like Cortana from 'Halo 4.'
    If you own Xbox Live, both the 'Dawnguard' and 'Hearthfire' content for 'Skyrim' are 50% off. I just picked up both for only 1,000MSP. Downloading the former right now. I'm glad these were on sale, as I've had 'Skyrim' sitting here for ages with a reason to return to it!
  • Anyway, was that actually Michael Biehn's voice at the beginning?

Yep it was. Apparently he's in the game but nobody knows how big a role he has. It might just be the message for all we know.

I hope not though. It'd be badass getting to fight alongside Hicks.
    The PS3 has MGS4

Xbox has Splinter Cell Conviction, Forza (not a huge fan but the new one looks good) and Gears Of War. As well as a much better lay out for the homepage, etc, and I've found it to be more reliable than the playstation.
    The PS3 has MGS4

Xbox has Splinter Cell Conviction, Forza (not a huge fan but the new one looks good) and Gears Of War. As well as a much better lay out for the homepage, etc, and I've found it to be more reliable than the playstation.

Well, let's see... From what I've played, Conviction wasn't exactly the best game (so far, that goes to Double Agent), never been a racing fan and Gears of War always felt like a very generic shooter with crappy characters.

Altogether, MGS4 beats the bunch.

As far as the layout... well, I don't know. Both the Xbox Dashboard and the XMB have their advantages, but neither really excels at anything. I have heard that Xbox Live is better than the PSN, but I don't play enough online games to care, and the two that I do play (GE Reloaded and Battlefield Bad Company) are just fine on the PS3.
    It seems like a lot of franchises, Splinter Cell included are going too far away from their roots in stealth. Even in Hitman: Absolution. I am one to slip in, kill only the target, and escape within the confusion, yet sometimes you are forced to kill to move on (NPCs I mean). You can definitely see parts in Hitman where casual gamers are catered to, and I may have to buy the Hitman HD collection to get a real taste of what the series is like.
  • Splinter Cell I don't think is going too far away at all.

Conviction improved most of the stealth by streamlining it. The whole light/shadows thing was really improved. It had lots of great new features, and if you were spotted you didn't get an instant fail and you weren't killed by the guards in just a few shots. You could get to a good hiding spot and escape.

The only downside is you couldn't drag bodies, etc. And since most of that seems to be coming back in Blacklist, I think that it might top Chaos Theory as my favourite one.
    But no Ironside... :-<
  • But no Ironside... :-<

That is a shame, but it doesn't bother me that much thinking about it now.

Ironside is still involved, and they had a good reason for replacing him. They want all the animations, etc, to look as good as possible, so they need an actor that can do the mocap stuff.

And I don't think it'll hurt to get a fresh take on things. You never know, the new guy might actually be better.
    You can't even get better than Ironside. He is up there with David Hayter and Nolan North as the best voice ever in gaming, and irreplaceable. I think the mocap is a stupid excuse. Why couldn't they have a stunt actor do the animations and Michael do the voice? You wouldn't know it wasn't him, and since Sam moves like a 20 year old when he is closer to middle age is just beyond me. I think Ubisoft needs to sort out their timeline for Fisher.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    They're doing the same thing the Uncharted games do, getting the actors to do the face and body animations so it all looks as real as possible. I think it's a good excuse, it's not like they just ditched him for no reason.

He moves like a 20 year old because of the same reason a 50 odd year old Ezio (and snake? idk, I don't play Metal Gear) moved the same way he did as a teenager: It's a game and it'd be no fun playing as a character who stopped in the middle of an action scene because of his bad back or something.

I don't think Ironside is that great, he sounded monotone alot of the time, and we won't know if he's irreplaceable or not until the game comes out. I'm sure people said the same thing about Sean Connery but if everybody thought "he's irreplaceable, there's no point!" we wouldn't have so many great Bond films.

Best voice in video games imo is either the bloke who voiced Ezio or the one who voiced Duke Nukem. Actually Max Payne has a pretty badass voice too, he'd be a contender.